Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

agris

Arcane
Patron
Elhoim even if go through what I previously wrote to get the construct in the ancient facility, it doesn't follow me to the emperor's palace (construct was not in party when I killed the emp), and has disappeared from the facility.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Fixed, enjoy while you can.
Fixed how, will they suddenly lock down/close? I don't see how you could do that on the surface though.

If I understood correctly, from this and other reports about this exploit, you could close the door and AI will skip a turn, not being able to open it. Then you open the door on your next turn, hit/shoot and close it back. Repeat until everyone's dead.

I fixed LOS bug that stopped AI from opening doors.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Cadmus

Arcane
There is reason only spear-users can do ironman runs.
Says who?

I think spear passive is overpowered. Especially Saurus custom spear (1-handed but de-facto can target at 2 tiles away like 2-handed).
Dude come on, overpowered in this game means you repeat a fight 10 times instead of 15 times?
It's a stand out weapon, I liked it because it was powerful but hardly anything is overpowered here.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Dude come on, overpowered in this game means you repeat a fight 10 times instead of 15 times?
It's a stand out weapon, I liked it because it was powerful but hardly anything is overpowered here.

Overpowered, means that enemy cant get to you, but in very rare situation they do manage to get - you can shield bash them back.

Sharpening stones + berserk = enemy takes 15-20 dmg just by each try to get to you. Usually they try twice per turn.

Imho enemy should have more chance to get close to melee (now its 95% to not let them), also berserk shouldnt work for passive.

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished this today using the release version which, judging by the GoG changelog, is a fair bit different to the up to date version. Played an 8 cha (4man party) character on Psychopath and fought all the way to FREEEDOM! and really enjoyed it. Neat little story in that mine and I love that AoD-dry dialogue. Really liked the combat system with full party control, is the plan to continue with that even in "full" games? If so, will Cha be enough to keep your party full, or will dialogue skills be mandatory to get recruits?

Looking forward to going again, might even start another right away.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane

Overpowered, means that enemy cant get to you, but in very rare situation they do manage to get - you can shield bash them back.

Sharpening stones + berserk = enemy takes 15-20 dmg just by each try to get to you. Usually they try twice per turn.

Imho enemy should have more chance to get close to melee (now its 95% to not let them), also berserk shouldnt work for passive.
I disagree respectfully. Zerk should logically work, disabling it for passives or retaliations would be intruducing anti logic to the system for the sake of balance and I absolutely despise that. yeah its powerfull but thats why the enemy has archers and it takes a while to get it. basically it seems to me that nerfing it would be removing fun like sawyer would do.

Black Angel

Arcane
Finally finished this. Been knowing about the
portal
ending so I skipped it, get to fight an army. My one and only ONE fatal mistake was that I left behind all of my freshly made neurostims so I got to fight with only zerk potions. I still managed to breeze through the fights thanks to all Sky Metal weapons, Blue Steel Armors, imbued by lvl. 10 Crafting Whetstones and lvl. 9 Alchemy poisons.
Because of low CHA, I was brought to Madoraan in chains, so I reloaded previous save and decided to kill 'em all.
Quintus fell the very last second, and Marcus barely made it out with 4 HP left, but damn ain't that still a good fight. Would have wipe the floor with (probably) full HP if only I got to keep my neurostims.

From what little writings I got to experience from DR, I think I can without a doubt says AoD will have an even better top-notch writing.

Now, here's my first impression: just like what have been said before, companions could've used more dialogue lines and reactions to what's being done by our character and others. I imagine if DR was a DLC/expansion to AoD (just like the upcoming Expedition expansion for Underrail), I'm sure the game would have more dialogue lines. But, eh, VD knows what's best for him and the team at ITS so...

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I disagree respectfully. Zerk should logically work, disabling it for passives or retaliations would be intruducing anti logic to the system for the sake of balance and I absolutely despise that. yeah its powerfull but thats why the enemy has archers and it takes a while to get it. basically it seems to me that nerfing it would be removing fun like sawyer would do.

This is not balanced at all.

For spear you have passive which makes you immune to melee (who kill themselves on their turn) and for something like hammer you chance to dent -1 dr?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, does enemy attacks limited to 2?

I've yet to see 3-4 fast attacks, which is strange since most enemies have 12 ap (looking how they can keep up with you when you run for 12 ap). They use 2 fast attacks for 6 or 8 ap and where other ap for them go?

Cadmus

Arcane

This is not balanced at all.

For spear you have passive which makes you immune to melee (who kill themselves on their turn) and for something like hammer you chance to dent -1 dr?
I agree it's not the same for all the weapons. Questions we have to ask then:
1) does it matter? is it a problem? (my answer is no but you think yes) then
2) change the weapons characteristics/the system rules/tweak numbers?
I would go "increase DENT amount depending on each weapon, set as a separate value to determine or correlate with the intended weapon quality"
Now you have one more fun weapon instead of removing one.
Alternatively, you can suggest silly nerfs like "doesn't apply zerk/poison/sharpening on passive attack whereas you make the player scratch their head wtf is going on, it should work but it doesn't because Sawyer decided. "Player can't wear 2 items that give a bonus to the same stat" It's shit like this that makes me bored in combat games, you know?
Or add stupid rules like "deals only half damage on passive trigger" etc. I think that's the worst you can do. I spec my char to have fun with the spear because exactly this feature is powerful and you decided you don't like a powerful feature.

Leave it be, improve the crappy denting instead if you want it more balanced. I like my stacking buffs and overpowered crap in the face of insanely difficult combat. The difficult game makes the overpowered crap fun to use while still supports the lesser options like the hammer. I'm not even sure it's really bad, I'm just assuming from your example.

Instead of asking how to remove a powerful feature you should ask how to allow the players to have fun with this cool item and not break the game. It's been a long time since I was in awe like I was in AoD where insane shit happens, you can spec your character to not be dealt any damage at all in many fights for example, no fukin % reductions. Sawyer would come and say "but the player will not be damaged! There must be a timer/nerf/cap on it otherwise it's not balanced!" Fuck Sawyer.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
door, the secret mvp party member

Fixed, enjoy while you can.
That was a fun fight, it's going to legitimately gate the medbot for some parties/builds. And that's exactly how it should be, since it's optional content.

not unless i can reload it 50 times to get the perfect set of rolls :australia:

ha didnt even have to cheese it

and all it took was 3 bombs, 4 acid flasks, 1 neurostim, 1 zerk potion and a bunch of lvl 10 craftung stuff :australia:

This fight is, btw, extremely badly designed. As is the entirety of constructopolis.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's very simple in design, but why bad?

Because constructs are just about immune to everything and all you can do is pray for rolls. Aimed hits won't work, KD won't work, liquid fire you might as well stick up your ass, nets and bolas won't work, poison won't work. It's the anti-thesis to AoD combat.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
liquid fire you might as well stick up your ass
Actually I used liquid fire to defeat them, had them left for a black hour (rainy day :P) and just spammed them at them. The strongest one (so rock oil + sulfur) at 10 alchemy deals some massive damage. And it was when you could make no more than 4 vials. Unless something drastically changed but from what I know it would be even easier now (using this tactic).

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's very simple in design, but why bad?

Because constructs are just about immune to everything and all you can do is pray for rolls. Aimed hits won't work, KD won't work, liquid fire you might as well stick up your ass, nets and bolas won't work, poison won't work. It's the anti-thesis to AoD combat.
Aimed to the head work and have a better chance of crit / heads have lower DR iirc (based on construct companion), and the special attacks Swing, Doubletap, Multishot and Snipe all work on them. Didn't try LF myself, but I think the constructs just emphasize good positioning even more.

I tossed some DR12 armor on marcus and just let him tank the fuckers and double tap them with his giant warharmer, was effective for everything but the medbot guards.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And thus ends the tale of Commander Boreale's escape from prison.

I have to say using whirlwind with a meteor two-handed axe on zerk potion and killing 5 dudes with one hit is hilarious as all shit.

Also, WTF?

LKyeAS.jpg

This was the last dude in the fight, so it was not friendly fire.

I think he actually hit ME and killed me, but then immediately died to the poison, which made me warp into the next wave of slaughter pavillon without gameover. But I can't say for sure cuz x4 animation speed.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
First review that I know of: http://gamerweb.pl/all-review-list/dungeon-rats-recenzja/

The reviewer says that:
the game is enjoyable but at some point comes a moment of weariness. Gameplay isn't too diverse and the locations are, unfortunately, very poor. I know it's a mine, that that's what you would expect from such a location but it does not look good. Iron Tower also boasts that they create RPGs that grandmother used to play... well, you can see it especially after outdated graphic design. It doesn't look good especially if you compare it with Tyranny for example. It's hard not to notice that Dungeon Rats is a low-budget game but at least the soundtrack is decent. If I were to point out another thing that I've noticed I would mention several crashes to desktop, but it has no significant impact on my assessment.

Dungeon Rats is a good RPG, although for a narrow (specific) audience. First of all, it's directed at those who enjoy a challenge and a greater focus on the fights. The undeniable advantage of Dungeon Rats is the low price, the game costs only 9 euros. For this amount I can sincerely recommend this title.

+challenging combat
+good soundtrack
+price

-old graphics
-can get boring

He gave it 7.5/10 and recommends it. Don't know what he meant with grandmother quip though... Or being bored for that matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom