Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vince was kind enough to give me access to Dungeon Rats ver. 0.9.0+ and for the last couple of days I've been playing Dungeon Rats as much as I could. After about 30 hours I've finished my first run on default difficulty (Murderous Psychopath) with an 8 Charisma guy which allows for a 4 men team (in my case: Marcus, Ismail and Roxana). FYI 10 Charisma guy can't have more followers but you get access to some really good ones.

All in all the game's great, there are tons of new, convenient additions, enemies seem smarter and almost always there are shooters which adds a bit of challenge, I'm impressed. I'm afraid that it won't sell well though. I'm definitely going to buy at least two copies (on GOG and Steam) but I don't see how non-AoD fan would like it. And even among those, quite a few played AoD for the story only and not for the fights. I hope I'm not right and it will sell a ton but...
Initial fights might be problematic, if one would waste resources and fight rather badly he might reach a point where advancing won't be possible and only restart will remain. And that can result in refunds and "it's too hard/not fun" reviews.

What I love:
  • Spartacus reference and overall story (very interesting for a dungeon crawler)
  • Many new improvements like easier looting thanks to drop down menu, improved crafting, reloading weapons, etc.
  • Age of Decadence references
  • Interesting locations which often don't resemble those from AoD and look fresh
  • New portraits and art overall
As for things that I don't like, there aren't many examples I could give. I have a wishlist of things that would improve my experience with the game but I realize that it would take too much time to implement. I've only had 1 crash to Windows and the game is very stable. I have AMD video card and lighting set on highest, no problems here as long as you keep your drivers updated (it used to be a problem, AMD has fixed it since 16.9.1 update). The initial formation setup could be improved and your allies could be somehow distinguished from the rest (like in Fallout 2 where your allies have green outline, the rest is red). It would also be great to have more alternative routes so that the linearity of the game would be masked a bit. But all of these are minor things and don't bother me too much, especially considering the $9 price tag.
To sum up: the game met my expectations or even surpassed it. Great job guys
salute.gif

Some specifics:

In general a 4 men team is unstoppable, even on default difficulty, now I know why 10 charisma doesn't let you get additional follower. I only had problems at the start and later with 2-3 fights (some of the fights I've replayed many times just to lose no more than 20-30 HP overall but as it turned out it was unnecessary since I had plenty of healing salves and rations left) but mainly because I haven't noticed that I can use the rations to heal my team and by the time I've reached the ant queen my warriors were quite beaten up (and at the time I couldn't have made more healing salves).

Placement before battle looks like this:

You click on a PC and put it onto a square you want (within limits). It takes some time getting used to and you can't switch PCs in places with one click (so sometimes you have to move one PC to give the room for the one you want). Someone might find it bothersome. You can see how it looks in practice here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1b4s40azw29vik/2016_10_30_15_00_15-ses.mp4?dl=0

Now I need to complete a solo run and iron man runs but first I need to work on Polish translation: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dungeon-rats-volunteer-translation.111641/

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I guess being leader of the AoD cult comes with some benefits.

Will be nice to play this in a few days.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Is the combat mechanic the exact same as AoD or modified?

Is there a point in bumping non-combat skills like in AoD?

Is not having high charisma(thus having more party members) just suboptimal play? Are there negative consequences to having a larger party as opposed to solo?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Is the combat mechanic the exact same as AoD or modified?
I'm not competent enough to answer that question but in general it is very similar to AoD but it is improved. The difference is in the placement before the battle, if you play your cards right fights become much easier. Also it matters now whether opponent is facing you or not (it's harder to hit someone facing you and much easier to hit someone whose back is turned so often it's advantageous to spend 2 AP to take a sidestep and increase your chances to hit. Another difference is that belt bag items are now immediately accessible during fight and you waste no APs by using them. So you can easily switch between a heavy crossbow and 3 hand crossbows without wasting your time to reload or between a war hammer and a gorza (a mace) which lets you maximize your APs.

Is there a point in bumping non-combat skills like in AoD?
Yes, crafting is a great skill to have and for the best gear it's a must. It's also used instead of lockpicking skills (there are some locked chests you can open only with that skill). Alchemy is also crucial but mainly in fights, I haven't stumbled upon any other use. Charisma is used in some skill checks (instead of persuasion/streetwise) which allows for an easier fight mainly. There is (are?) also intelligence check (very useful in one instance) but that's why having a high charisma PC makes it easier since you can be dumb and have a smart character with you (AFAIK, that's my understanding at least).

Is not having high charisma(thus having more party members) just suboptimal play? Are there negative consequences to having a larger party as opposed to solo?
Well, I can say for certain that playing solo will be more difficult since there are often 5 or more opponents in a fight so before you deal with the four that fifth might kill you. On the other hand you get all the SP to yourself, otherwise they are divided to all the members and since at the start you only have access to some shitty warriors (Quintus isn't bad though) you might end up wasting some SP. There are also opponents that can one-shot you (and there are 3 of them), i.e. kill you in 1 turn although the fight I have in mind is optional. With more people you can net them or knock them out with bombs, solo it will be much harder.

I guess being leader of the AoD cult comes with some benefits.

Will be nice to play this in a few days.

must be potato privilege cuz i have it too :smug:
Or maybe you're a cultist too :troll:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We're doing a limited beta test (10 people so far), mainly to make sure that everything is working properly and test the balance. The Codex is represented by Roxor, Goral, and Eyestabber. They are free to share their impressions, good or bad, so ask them whatever you wish to know.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
We're doing a limited beta test (10 people so far), mainly to make sure that everything is working properly and test the balance. The Codex is represented by Roxor, Goral, and Eyestabber. They are free to share their impressions, good or bad, so ask them whatever you wish to know.
Forgot about AbounI

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
How impactful is SP then? Seems to me if I pump one warrior super high I shouldn't get hit at all, given AoD mechanics.
You will get hit, I don't remember exact formulas (you would have to ask Elhoim for example) but if you have dodge at 10 you opponents will have lower chances to hit but when they have their weapon skill at 10 (+possible synergies) it might still be high enough to kill you. And there are enough SPs to max 3 skills of each follower (something along those lines).

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
How impactful is SP then? Seems to me if I pump one warrior super high I shouldn't get hit at all, given AoD mechanics.
You will get hit, I don't remember exact formulas (you would have to ask Elhoim for example) but if you have dodge at 10 you opponents will have lower chances to hit but when they have their weapon skill at 10 (+possible synergies) it might still be high enough to kill you. And there are enough SPs to max 3 skills of each follower (something along those lines).

Interesting. How gimped is ranged combat? Is it like AoD?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Croosbows (and bows too I think) now do not KO but stagger instead (you lose 3 APs, although not every hit causes stagger).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Forgot about AbounI
He's more of rpgfrance.com guy.

Bow was one of the strongest weapons in AoD. Crossbow was top 3 or 4. Throwing was weak but manageable (even powerful with Shield Bash).

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
Bow was one of the strongest weapons in AoD. Crossbow was top 3 or 4. Throwing was weak but manageable (even powerful with Shield Bash).

Was AoD patched or something? Because I couldn't do the ambush by the scummy looking dude and the mine with ranged weapons at all. Kiting wasn't an option.

Exclude those I suppose.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
p.s. What are system requirements?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/531930/
The same as AoD. As for the solo run, I've tried one build, didn't work, learned my lesson and changed the build and so far I'm having an easier time than with a 4 men team (but it probably won't last long). We'll see. But I seriously won't have time to play this week so I'll put it on-hold and resume probably somewhere around next week. Just one more hour...

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Thanks for the impressions.

I'm probably going solo on my first run. Should be fun(hopefully).

Cadmus

Arcane
Jesus shit, gotta finish that Wasteland 2 grindfest quick.

Vault Dweller how long after release do you expect the game to actually be finished? I remember some really neat patching in AoD which made me glad I started playing it a bit later than on release.
Are you going to be supporting it for a few months or the release version is pretty close to final?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller how long after release do you expect the game to actually be finished? I remember some really neat patching in AoD which made me glad I started playing it a bit later than on release.
Are you going to be supporting it for a few months or the release version is pretty close to final?
It's a linear combat game so there isn't much we can add there (other than a sequel set elsewhere which isn't planned at the moment).

Aenra

Goral Thank you for not fucking it up with spoilers, bless. I've mentioned this too, my fear that it won't sell well given the restricted focus and the upped difficulty.. to repeat myself however, i sure hope i'm proven wrong.

I have also mentioned, but saw no response, the danger regarding expectations as formed from AoD. No, not to be confused with the above (game is hard ergo game is shit, one cannot escape that). I'm talking literally about "what am i buying" type of situation. The recent PCGamer article for example gives one the impression that Rats is AoD plus better combat plus party-based, as in on top of all things AoD (story -> multiple outcomes); which is.. rather.. inaccurate :)
This needs to be fixed pronto.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom