Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon of the Endless - roguelike dungeon defense set in Amplitude's Endless Space universe

Angthoron

Arcane
...Three floors later, one party member kills the second one involved in the plot during an elevator scene.

Are there any other major storyline interactions like that? That's the only one I found with the default character set (I only unlocked a few additional characters so far).
There are, yes. Found one more so far.
Warden and Nurse

Nobody got killed though, and I wonder if there might be more interactions like that later. It felt a little incomplete. Seen mention of at least 2 more, as well. Guessing there's probably a storyline for all pair-ups somehow, or at least for most, but you can't see them for a while because locked chars.

Also, what do people tend to start with? For me, so far it's Smuggler and the space hero chick, she has good carry speed.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Of the top of my head (Been a while) but the biggest issues I remember are pirates are absolutely fucking ridiculous (They stay viable late game by popping up with giant space empire-tier fleets and ruin your day. It's some Paradox-like shit with rebellions suddenly popping up massive well trained and armed armies) and the dust price to revive heroes being insane. I remember losing a high level admiral and the cost to revive him was massively out of my reach. It's also possible I wasn't managing my dust as efficiently as I could have been though.

From what I recall from lore, the Space Pirates seem to be pretty powerful, capable of kicking the asses of whole factions, so at least it makes sense that they are pretty lethal in gameplay as well. I like that.

It's pretty interesting stuff. I hear that Endless Space is pretty crappy, but I'm still somewhat intrigued since EL and DotE are so good. Is there any enjoyment in Endless Space?

I had good time playing it, especially online with some of my friends but it has many shortcomings, I can only recommend getting it via winter/christmas sale like %75-80. Especially after playing Legends you'll be easly dissapointed.

I buy pretty much everything exclusively when it's on sale unless I know that the game will be good. I'll just grab it the next time it goes on sale. I'm in no hurry for new games right now anyway.

Also, what do people tend to start with? For me, so far it's Smuggler and the space hero chick, she has good carry speed.

Not-Samus Aran is my #1 pick as well. She's just an all around incredibly useful character. Her ability to repair stuff, the chance to get some extra Dust and her speed makes her a great character for exploring and then running back to your modules. And, yes, for carrying the Core as well. She'll even outrun some of the slower characters while carrying the Core which is quite amusing. My only complaint is that she's based on the Zero Suit Samus and not the Varia Suit. :rpgcodex:

Multi-headed Cow

I tend to roll with random when I'm starting a new game. I am having some success with Joleri though which surprised me. The run's on easy so dust and resources are already a bit tight and I figured her dust eating would fuck me over, but she's so good she (mostly) makes up for it.

Incidentally, this floor was obscene. 28 rooms not counting the crystal. And of course the exit was the very last door I popped.

C5F632D72E20EDE046B6C374F1420F05003C0722

Torrasque01

Augur
Having the last room be the exit could be a good thing, since after you find it all subsequent monster waves are harder. Also there's a secret character that you'll run into if you keep going random.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
15066151124_90eccd8eae_o.png

I admit that I'm no rogues expert but this one depends too much on the exit room location.

Died on level 10, all upgrades to IV, all members on lvl 7 and ... lost everything because I did no pay attention to one rhyno for like 2 seconds.

Edit:
Once the exit is found feel free to power down every room you can, to focus that the path to the exit is powered, since once the crystal is lifted the mobs will spawn, which will prevent mobs from spawning along the path the exit.

Remember that there is no penalty for powering or changing the power to rooms. This can be used to a great advantage, so experiment and find what works best. Maximize your dust consumption to the fullest, as to keep waves from spawning. Any Modules and Turrets will not be destroyed when you run out of dust, just powered down.

Once you've found the exit, it's time to plan the escape. From the very moment you up your crystal the enemy waves will start. It's important to know that they won't stop until you reach the exit, and if you don't make your way fast enough they WILL overwhelm you. Monsters will focus on the hero who is carrying the crystal, so it's important to pick your fastest moving hero to carry the crystal to the exit.

Obscure stuff.

Edit 2:
Reach the 24th floor with the Drill Pod. Endless Mining

Retarded achievement.

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

Knew all those protips, but I've got another one for you. Monsters won't spawn in unpowered rooms that a hero is in. So if for example you've got 4 heroes you can part 3 of 'em in unpowered rooms while the 4th goes and pops a door. The dark room spawns are a bit staggered though, so leave the guys in the dark rooms for a good few seconds before moving them out.

Additionally you can get even more pro with that by having 3 dudes in dark rooms and have the room adjacent to the room you're going to open dark. Then as soon as the door you just opened opens and your hero runs in, immediately move him back to the dark room he came from. Should be fast enough (Likely even with slowbies like Gork) to prevent dark room spawns in there.

You can still definitely get fucked but like A Good Videogame there are tricks to reduce the risks.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Knew all those protips, but I've got another one for you. Monsters won't spawn in unpowered rooms that a hero is in. So if for example you've got 4 heroes you can part 3 of 'em in unpowered rooms while the 4th goes and pops a door. The dark room spawns are a bit staggered though, so leave the guys in the dark rooms for a good few seconds before moving them out.

This. I have no time to verify it right now but I think this is what I was looking for. I will retry later. Thank you.

MapMan

Arcane
Won my first game. Once you figure some stuff out, victory is not THAT luck dependant. You need to cleverly manage your items, when to keep, when to sell (and for what? food, industry, science or gold?) and when to buy. My tactic was to generate a lot of industry so by later levels I could afford some emergency generators and a lot of minor modules. I utilized smoking guns lvl 4 in here to manage the waves. Whats also very useful is the second from the left heroes skill that makes enemies attack each other in a room. Thanks to a nice stack of science I could use it many many times, which made it possible to survive some insanely hard waves. I also always used the first dude to open doors which gave additional dust and had some items that give you the pickpocket skill, which increases dust chance from monsters. On the last floor it took me a lot of doors to find the exit but I was lucky in a way because I could hold off all the ways in a single room, placing turrets in the connecting rooms.

38294C5BDCB5E422D5B135700C6D02A25DC3D029

6479DACC737DD510A1BDDE4846788ABEFAA1C149

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I got this game on sale the other day and bought it because the weird mix of styles and genres got me interested (got all the other Endless games as well). This game is super addictive and I played a few games, trying to unlock characters and get the hang of things. Playing on easy since i didn't want to get too used to the lower difficulty. Mostly I die at level 6 or 7, I guess I kinda suck at the game but so far it is fun anyway.

One thing I have not quite figured out - sometimes I find the exit very early on. Would you guys recommend always going directly for the exit if I find it? Cause sometimes I feel like grinding some more by opening doors but more than once that fucked me over already. So do you go for the exit? Explore the whole level? Or entirely depending on the situation?

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'll sometimes spam-open some doors just to get more resources and then run back, get the crystal, and bail out of there.

Not really an expert at the game, though. Furthest I've gotten (in about three tries) is the 10th floor. There I just don't have enough dust to protect myself. I'm beginning to think maybe you have to 'farm' dust a little bit before opening more doors, but I haven't tested the strategy yet.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just played another game to level 10 but I got incredibly lucky with the exit on level 9. However, as opposed to earlier levels, if you try to make a run for it, unopened doors will open and everybody will come for you, so that is kinda risky.

The lack of dust on later levels is a serious problem, I didn't even have enough dust to power more than three rooms before I kicked the bucket, so there is no effective way to prevent monsters from spawning. You can not 'farm' dust however, since dust does not carry over to the next level.

sser

Arcane
Developer
To get a better handle on things I went Too Easy.

I also ran a different strategy of employing 'hub' rooms where I'd stack hero-benefiting modules and rope enemies into them.

This is way more effective, and really should be the primary strategy since you do not have near enough dust to open multiple rooms later in the game.

Beat the game pretty easily. Maybe a little too easily...

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
I finally did it today, after 13 failiures. Man, that shit was not easy, you certainly have to be on the edge throughout and a little mistake can fuck you over. Sometimes you gotta make hard decisions too and luck is certainly a factor. Sometimes you get lucky with the dungeon layout, so that you can farm while keeping a strong defensive position. Sometimes you gotta fight on too many ends and it is better to just run, provided you found the exit. Sometimes a strong wave all of a sudden can overwhelm you or a sudden power shortage (!) just fucks you in the ass.
In the end, only two of my chars made it to the exit, one got killed during a power shortage on the last level and the other (mild spoilers ahead!) was killed by another char of mine in the elevator on the way to the exit. It was kinda cool but I would have been pissed big time had that occured a level or two earlier.
One other thing where you have to get lucky with is finding just the right the chars at the right time to complement your team. In the end I had two tanks, one operator who was also a good defensive char and the girl thats crazy fast which can be super helpful in tight situations.
Food is the most important resource imo since it is required to level up, hire other chars and first and foremost - healing. Man, I spent so much food healing my chars. Industry is helpful for defense but then sometimes the room layout or the power shortage does not allow for a strong positioning anyway and in those moments you'll be super thankful if you have a ton of food ready for healing.

Would upload screenshot but no idea how that works. Whatever. Certainly a fun game.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Friendly warning;

There's a really annoying bug in this game. When saving and quitting, your profile file might get corrupted, which means all the pods and/or heroes you've managed to unlock will be locked again, and your picture album will be reset, save for the 4 pictures you can unlock by discovering hero secrets.

I just had this happen to me. I've sunk 42 hours, and now all progress is lost. Fuck it, I'm pissed. It's a confirmed bug. Don't know when it'll be fixed, not sure I'll play the game again anytime soon.

In short; AVOID THIS GAME UNTIL THE BUG IS FIXED. Or your progress might be irreversibly lost.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
In case anyone here still enjoys the game occasionally - at the moment (I think until sunday) you can unlock an exclusive new character in DotE. It is part of a special Amplitude birthday feature. As usual you just gotta survive three levels with the char but to make things a bit easier you can pick him right from the beginning.

Multi-headed Cow

In case anyone here still enjoys the game occasionally - at the moment (I think until sunday) you can unlock an exclusive new character in DotE. It is part of a special Amplitude birthday feature. As usual you just gotta survive three levels with the char but to make things a bit easier you can pick him right from the beginning.
What the. A time limited character unlock? I kinda don't like that. Did they do any shenanigans along those lines in ES and EL too, since they both patched at the same time?

Edit: Yep, there sure are. Grabbed the DotE hero and looked up the others.

Endless Space
  • How to unlock the Emlek Tarosh hero: you need to start a new game of Endless Space (make sure you have disabled your mods if you are playing with any), before January 25th (end of the event). If you manage to do so, the hero will be unlocked for your future games once the event is over.
  • To unlock the “Endless Day” achievement: win a game in Endless difficulty, started between January 21st and January 25th, but completed at any time.

Endless Legend
  • How to unlock the Eslek Tarosh hero and the “Endless Day” achievement: you need to start a new game of Endless Legend (make sure you have disabled your mods if you are playing with any), before January 25th (end of the event!). Once you have built your first city, a new quest will appear: “Day of the Awakening”. Complete it and you will unlock the new hero and the Steam achievement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turjan

Arcane
What the. A time limited character unlock? I kinda don't like that. Did they do any shenanigans along those lines in ES and EL too, since they both patched at the same time?
Not a fan of stuff like that, either. Thanks for the heads-up.

BGMD

Learned
What the. A time limited character unlock? I kinda don't like that.

Not a fan of stuff like that, either. Thanks for the heads-up.

If I'm reading this correctly, they made it accessible past 25th by configuring your system clock.

OMG, IT’S JANUARY 26th

Solution
  • Don’t hurt us.
  • What’s fun about technology is that you can mess with it. It’s easy: just go back in time.

baturinsky

Arcane
Can't get out of the first floor. Getting killed by a swarm each time. What exactly I'm supposed to do? If I should light up rooms, how do I do it?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Dude, thats really like, the total basics. Didn't you read the tutorial blurps at the beginning? Light up rooms by clicking your mouse wheel. As soon as they are lit no enemies will spawn there. Also you should build modules in those rooms. You can also prevent spawns by placing one of your characters in an unlit room. That strategy will become very important on higher levels.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
BRO baturinsky
1. Backup your saves.
2. If (when) the game crashes, deleting your saves, set the .exe to "WinXP SP3" compatibility mode. Stopped crashes on Win7 x64.

naossano

Cipher
Did someone won that game ?
Played since very early access and i didn't manage to go beyond level 11 yet.
I think the forced iron man add a lot of tension to the game, increasing its value, but making it damn frustrating at the same time.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Managed it twice but it took me over ten tries. Its definitely doable but you gotta be on the edge the whole time and also probably need some luck on the way too.

I still fire the game up from time to time and go for a run. Multiplayer is pretty fun too, it saddens me a bit that this little gem doesn't get much attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom