Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon, a realtime dungeon crawler - now available on Early Access

m_s0

Arcane
3 new screenshots of the ugraded version

DK_Temple_Retake_4.jpg

DK_Temple_Retake.jpg

DK_Temple_Retake_2.jpg
Holy shit does that look beautiful.

V_K

Arcane
Is the town just a collection of shops (plus a couple questgivers thrown in) or are you planning some more involved NPC interaction?

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
Is the town just a collection of shops (plus a couple questgivers thrown in) or are you planning some more involved NPC interaction?

Well Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon roots are closer to Dungeon Master / Eye of The Beholder than Skyrim or Baldur's Gate, it is and will remain a real time Dungeon Crawler before all. The City is a short introductory chapter. So i would asnwer YES and NO :). Yes it's mainly a (very small) collection of shops, but there is also a small part of NPC meeting, and you can start tasting the good elements of RT Dungeon Crawler from that introductory chapter. It's difficult to give a more clear answer without spoiling. Because you start to (just a little ) interact already in the intro sequence, and progressively leave the intro to start really playing. And the city is like a transition between both.

mastroego

Arcane
Truly outstanding, even though graphics should not become the main selling point.
So I see square pitfalls are still a staple of the genre...
Ok, I've got to ask at this point.

How many micro-issues remain, exactly? [:cool:]

V_K

Arcane

Well Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon roots are closer to Dungeon Master / Eye of The Beholder than Skyrim or Baldur's Gate, it is and will remain a real time Dungeon Crawler before all. The City is a short introductory chapter. So i would asnwer YES and NO :). Yes it's mainly a (very small) collection of shops, but there is also a small part of NPC meeting, and you can start tasting the good elements of RT Dungeon Crawler from that introductory chapter. It's difficult to give a more clear answer without spoiling. Because you start to (just a little ) interact already in the intro sequence, and progressively leave the intro to start really playing. And the city is like a transition between both.
Does it mean that the game is structured kinda like Lands of Lore - i.e. there's (next to) no backtracking?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
dk_EA_September_25th_announce.jpg

Steam early access coming soon : 09-25

Hello great adventurers!

We are very excited to announce that Dungeon Kingdom will be available on Steam Early Access from 25nd September. Since our last post, we have been working very hard to make this happen and we thank you for your support during its development. More from us soon, see you on the 25nd!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
More real-time, combat mambo garbage? Meh.

Unless they can pull off something like Chaos Strikes back.... (of which I doubt).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Did anyone get to play the Early Access? They said it will release on Steam EA on Sep 25th, but I can't find it. On Facebook, they said on the 25th that they'll fix a few minor things before pushing it on steam, but it doesn't look like it was released.

V_K

Arcane
In the steam comments the dev said:
Sorry dudes. The Steam stores is now fully ready except that it requires a trailer, wich we are working on. And a few missing translations are about to be included. We are very close to the release, and our testers have already played it a lot. A few more days to wait, we'll make an anouncement asap ! Thanks.
That was on October 2, so it'll probably sometime this week.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Thanks. The surely made some mistakes with their marketing, while on the programming, art and hopefully design side they seem to be competent.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It will come out on Steam "really soon", but they said that since September 25th.

Please drop the exclamation marks. It is bad marketing. If your game lives up to expectations, the fans will provide their own hype. You are trying too hard to be 'epic,' and it comes across as overzealous.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
Hello erveyone,

Sorry, i am terribly busy working on the game, and i couldn't spend any time on boards the past few months/weeks.

@vonAchdorf : indeed, as you have noticed we are not marketing guys. We have no any single little portion of a marketing skill, and to be honnest, as passionate developers,we are absolutely not interested in the marketing topic. That said, we know this is very important, and we'll make effort to improve that side in the future, even it's not that easy for such a small team like our.

So yes, the game was sent to some of our backers and yes we are late, we need to make everything great before we push the game on steam. Everything is ready on steam side, trailer, store etc. But for us it's important to listen at our testers/backers/players and polish again. I can understand quite well the frustration, but we being very small team doesn't mean we have any rights to sell a bad game, even for an early access. :obviously:

Yeah as some one mentioned there are many crawlers around the corner, and it give us more pressure in a way. But that said, unlike what Excidium II supposed above, we are not here just to make another Grimrock clone, we want make a game we have been wanted to create for years. Yes, we could do like some dudes do on steam to create some of the new crawlers coming on steam recently: purchase already made graphics / sounds fx/ visual fx on unity's asset store, putting all together in a few weeks/months and release a crawler clone. Those who thinks that really didn't get what we are trying to create. We are not here to make another quick clone, to quickly earn money (or we would have already published the game in begining of this year). After so many years working on the game, with so many iterations, believe me, we will surely not earn enough money to cover all costs, time and investment we made over the past years. Especially with such a crowd world as the one of indie games.
So yes, there are many crawlers, but we used to think there is still a (perhaps small) public made of true lovers of the genre, and if they enjoy the game, we will have win our bet! ;)

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Yeah as some one mentioned there are many crawlers around the corner, and it give us more pressure in a way. But that said, unlike what Excidium II supposed above, we are not here just to make another Grimrock clone, we want make a game we have been wanted to create for years. Yes, we could do like some dudes do on steam to create some of the new crawlers coming on steam recently: purchase already made graphics / sounds fx/ visual fx on unity's asset store, putting all together in a few weeks/months and release a crawler clone. Those who thinks that really didn't get what we are trying to create. We are not here to make another quick clone, to quickly earn money (or we would have already published the game in begining of this year). After so many years working on the game, with so many iterations, believe me, we will surely not earn enough money to cover all costs, time and investment we made over the past years. Especially with such a crowd world as the one of indie games.
A word of unsolicited advice: if you want your game to sell, this should be your last post like that. It sounds defensive and defeatist at the same time, and frankly no one cares about whether you started development before or after Grimrock and how many resources you spent on it. Focus instead on what your game does better than the competition (which I suppose are physics-based puzzles and stronger story) and milk the hell out of these features.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom