Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon, a realtime dungeon crawler - now available on Early Access

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This sounds very promising for a real time blobber. It sounds like the OP has understood what made DM and CSB such great games better than most of the professional game designers who churned out DM clones that only copied the least good parts of DM (step based movement, the combat) and not the good things (level design, level design, level design, clever puzzles, interaction with environment, need of light sources and more).

I really like the sound of level design being inspired by CSB, the physics engine and being able to set things on fire, and monster AI.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
C'mon guys, don't be faggots. You can see he's passionate about it.
However, I'm also of the opinion that this doesn't look (or plays, from what the videos show) differently enough from Grimrock.
And with the sequel coming and also having stuff like different height levels on the same map, like in your video...
Man, I don't know what to say. It doesn't seem very exciting. :oops:

- Well actually they are screenshots from devlopment test bed, not the final game levels. I create features i have listed and post about it. But that's said...Dungeon brick based wall set will remain a brick based wall set...No body complains the bricks of Grimrock looks similar to the ones in Eye of Beholder. I agree it may recall other games like grimrock and it sounds natural has it's the same type of environment. However it's not the only wallset. We have marble, mountain and others wallset. Even so, i guess there will be some to say it looks like this or that. It's ok i accept it anyway, people can only judge about what they see currently. ;)

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
This sounds very promising for a real time blobber. It sounds like the OP has understood what made DM and CSB such great games better than most of the professional game designers who churned out DM clones that only copied the least good parts of DM (step based movement, the combat) and not the good things (level design, level design, level design, clever puzzles, interaction with environment, need of light sources and more).
I really like the sound of level design being inspired by CSB, the physics engine and being able to set things on fire, and monster AI.

Finally somebody getting it, and going go beyond screenshots. You have perfectly resumed what is Dungeon Kingdom. It's not Grimrock, it's probably not the Best visually looking RPG, but it's value is more than visuals, something that people who enjoyed the gameplay accuracy of Chaos Strikes back can understand. I am not complaining about people not liking the game, but sometimes i feel you guys are so fast to bash a game instead of just discussing what is it exactly, or discussing about how to make it better. :?

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dungeons Kingdom doesn't make any sense.

Consider Kingdom of Dungeons or Dungeon Kingdom. Or changing it entirely.

I think the game looks nice, by the way. Will the game have multi-level puzzles (i.e. you must go back and forth between locations to solve it)?

The game was previously called Dungeon Kings (there was a short thread about it recently), which I think was a slightly better name.

Zed, you're right, the game does look pretty nice!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Well actually they are screenshots from devlopment test bed, not the final game levels. I create features i have listed and post about it. But that's said...Dungeon brick based wall set will remain a brick based wall set...No body complains the bricks of Grimrock looks similar to the ones in Eye of Beholder. I agree it may recall other games like grimrock and it sounds natural has it's the same type of environment. However it's not the only wallset. We have marble, mountain and others wallset. Even so, i guess there will be some to say it looks like this or that. It's ok i accept it anyway, people can only judge about what they see currently. ;)

Nah it's not just the wallset. It's the gameplay as well, just.. moving about, flipping switches, trapdoors.. It looks like something you could make in the Grimrock level editor, without much trouble.

Do you have a video that showcases the stuff it does differently than Grimrock, that really effect gameplay? I'd love to take a look.

(In any case, gave you a vote on GL)

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
Nah it's not just the wallset. It's the gameplay as well, just.. moving about, flipping switches, trapdoors.. It looks like something you could make in the Grimrock level editor, without much trouble.
Do you have a video that showcases the stuff it does differently than Grimrock, that really effect gameplay? I'd love to take a look.
(In any case, gave you a vote on GL)

Ah sorry Jack, i have misunderstood you then. Well those features you mention are the base mechanics of those games. And that side, it's indeed similar. But all games, like Eye of Beholder, Dungeon Master, Ishar, Black Crypt and many more have these mecanics in common. I don't have other videos for now, but i'll post some once i'll be working on the final level design. Something also, there a bit more of story telling and NPC integration like in "eye of beholder". However the biggest difference, will be the way these mechanics are integrated in the game (see above about Chaos Strikes Back). On the features side, and about the video, for now you can only see the fire in action on the Android video.

And thanks for the vote :)

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmmm, I see. Well, I am kind of dumb about the whole thing- Grimrock is the only game of it's genre I played.
What was unique about CSB compared to it?

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
Hmmm, I see. Well, I am kind of dumb about the whole thing- Grimrock is the only game of it's genre I played.
What was unique about CSB compared to it?

Well first, CSB is (of course) very old. Graphically speaking. Secondly, it has no real physics. Some features doesn't exist (like burn curtains in the video). But on the real gameplay side, CSB is VERY hard to finish. I did finish it a few times, and really, each time it was very very hard to reach the end. Even you have created maps of levels...And yes some part have a bit of randomness and is not linear. Actually, if think you can finish 4 times the game, i am sure you won't follow exactly the same way to reach the end.

Magic is a bit different in Dungeon Kingdom compared to CSM/DM: the spells requires runes to create them, but not to cast. You create spells like in CSM/DM, but cast quicker like in Eye of Beholder or Ishar, which is on my opinion the best of the two worlds. We'll see if players agree !

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Please consider changing the title to something more imaginative before release. I am automatically skeptical towards every game that has "Dungeon" or "Kingdom" in the title, because that reminds me of f2p 'RPGs' (almost always JRPG-like dungeon crawlers and hack 'n' slashers) and 'strategy' games (where the only two available strategies are 'slog through' and 'enter your credit card number').

As for the game. While it looks cool and integrating physics into gameplay is one of the stuff I enjoy in games, Legend of Grimrock has finally proven me that I do not like real-time blobbers, so you are a few years too late.

Good luck anyway.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
Please consider changing the title to something more imaginative before release. I am automatically skeptical towards every game that has "Dungeon" or "Kingdom" in the title, because that reminds me of f2p 'RPGs' (almost always JRPG-like dungeon crawlers and hack 'n' slashers) and 'strategy' games (where the only two available strategies are 'slog through' and 'enter your credit card number').
As for the game. While it looks cool and integrating physics into gameplay is one of the stuff I enjoy in games, Legend of Grimrock has finally proven me that I do not like real-time blobbers, so you are a few years too late.
Good luck anyway.

Thanks. I agree for the name, when the release time is there, the chapter title will be put more in light instead of the serie name.
No problem you dislike this kind of games. Just curious, did you play Eye of Beholder before ?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No problem you dislike this kind of games. Just curious, did you play Eye of Beholder before ?
No, I did not.

EDIT: Voted yes on greenlight. ;)
EDIT2: I might actually be interested in playing this on Android.

Last edited:

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
No, I did not.

i wonder if some people who dislike grimrock would like eye of the beholder more, as there is much more story telling in EOB...If you have a luck to test it someday...let me know :)

thanks for the vote :)

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No, I did not.

i wonder if some people who dislike grimrock would like eye of the beholder more, as there is much more story telling in EOB...If you have a luck to test it someday...let me know :)

thanks for the vote :)

Personally, I remember liking EOB a lot (but that was so long since I've played it). I liked Grimrock, but not as much.

Indranys

Savant
kanda: The King's Dungeon?
King of The Last Dungeon?
The Abyss Odyssey?
First Foray into [insert dungeon's name here]??
Trials of The Impure??
But seriously man, Dungeons Kingdom as a name?? A little imagination won't hurt bro.
Well, could be worse I guess.
And Good luck to you. :salute:

But still I prefer TB combat than real time, or at least an Ultima Underworld clone will be sweet indeed.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What's the setting and story of the game? Maybe knowing that will help coming up with a better name than Dungeon Kingdom.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This does indeed look like a Grimrock mod and the videos just make it look like the gameplay is eerily similar.
Also, stylish-wise, a lot of the blobbers had their own style despite taking place in similar surroundings, you wouldn't mistake Stonekeep for Anvil of Dawn or EotB or lets say Captive (okay, that was SF, but also lots of walls etc.) and so on. So it very much possible too give those games a distinct look
And I'm not sure I agree about EotB having more story than Grimrock, both had a barely fleshed out backstory that informed the game. EotB had a few very short NPC encounters, but calling that a fleshed out story would be dishonest

mastroego

Arcane
That's an awful lot of work you've done just to make a game that looks exactly like Legend of Grimrock.

So you adamantly defend Josh Sawyer against ANY criticism, no matter what, no matter how, and when a new developer shows up and in a very composed and polite way shows the fruit of his work and a potentially incline game, THIS is how you welcome him.
Very equilibrate of you.
I want to remind you that Sawyer is making a game that "looks exactly" like BG2 (with no hope of playing like it, incidentally)

kanda:
Thanks for your post, your game looks very cool, I'll be sure to keep an eye on it as a probable buyer ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's an awful lot of work you've done just to make a game that looks exactly like Legend of Grimrock.

So you adamantly defend Josh Sawyer against ANY criticism, no matter what, no matter how, and when a new developer shows up and in a very composed and polite way shows the fruit of his work and a potentially incline game, THIS is how you welcome him.
Very equilibrate of you.
I want to remind you that Sawyer is making a game that "looks exactly" like BG2 (with no hope of playing like it, incidentally)

kanda:
Thanks for your post, your game looks very cool, I'll be sure to keep an eye on it as a probable buyer ;)

:roll: A bit obsessed, aren't we?

There's a difference between "cloning" a game from a dead genre and cloning one that was released just two years ago, with a sequel soon to be released.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
This does indeed look like a Grimrock mod and the videos just make it look like the gameplay is eerily similar.
Also, stylish-wise, a lot of the blobbers had their own style despite taking place in similar surroundings, you wouldn't mistake Stonekeep for Anvil of Dawn or EotB or lets say Captive (okay, that was SF, but also lots of walls etc.) and so on. So it very much possible too give those games a distinct look
And I'm not sure I agree about EotB having more story than Grimrock, both had a barely fleshed out backstory that informed the game. EotB had a few very short NPC encounters, but calling that a fleshed out story would be dishonest

Of course not as strong story telling as a Baldur's gate, but compared to Dungeon Master or other crawlers of this kind, the story telling is much more present. Also, it borrows elements from table RPG AD&D world with existing city, characters...(Water deep, Khelben...).

mastroego

Arcane

Very equilibrate of you.

kanda:

:roll: A bit obsessed, aren't we?

There's a difference between "cloning" a game from a dead genre and cloning one that was released just two years ago, with a sequel soon to be released.

Unasked for impoliteness pisses me off.
Also, as I said, your posting history makes that specific comment of yours, well, I'll say "bizarre".
My point stands, but no need for further "battles", no worries

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom