Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup questions/thread

fastjack

Augur
Any insight into why mountain dwarves were removed?
Fluff-wise, the devs want to differentiate DC:SS from "standard Tolkien fantasy worlds", so Mountain Dwarves were cut in favor of Deep Dwarves as the Dwarf representative for Crawl.

Gameplay wise, it's a different reason (DD have the huge factor of being unable to regenerate normally which makes playing them MUCH different from playing MD, even though they are both Heavy Armor, big Axe-using kind of races.)

Here's a secret: MD actually suck (power-level wise).

tl;dr: Just play a Minotaur and pretend you're a short beardy midget, there's no real gameplay difference.

Thanks a ton for the reply bro. I was just wondering since I normally ran a dwarf for the thoughtless melee angle and thought that dwarves got an armor bonus from dwarven armor (the way elves do?) but I guess everyone gets that bonus. In any case, I think I will start playing a minotaur but pretend he is a short bearded dude :)

TigerKnee

Arcane
Thanks a ton for the reply bro. I was just wondering since I normally ran a dwarf for the thoughtless melee angle and thought that dwarves got an armor bonus from dwarven armor (the way elves do?) but I guess everyone gets that bonus.
Dwarves (of which there was only Deep Dwarf right now) do supposedly get a "bonus to effective Armor skill" from wearing Dwarven Armour.

No one can exactly tell how much or say whether it makes a huge difference though, so most people just ignore that factor. It's probably not worth going out of your way for.

(base AC) * (22 + Armour skill + Racial armour bonus/2) / 22

Mountain Dwarves got +4 to effective armor skill for dwarven armor, deep dwarves get a +8, which is about +2AC when wearing Dwarven plate compared to any other plate armor. Not huge by any means but it adds up especially since it also applies to helmet, boots etc. The really big difference is that it allows a Deep Dwarf to cast much easier while wearing heavy armor as long as it is of dwarven make.

So have you guys tried the new immolation scrolls? Previously they were just an annoyance, but now they are an incredibly powerful if double edged tool.

IT6TS3e.png

I enter the final level of the vaults properly buffed and prepared and read a scroll of immolation.
5sruF0o.png

So as I weaken a couple of guards then kill the first it starts a chain reaction of flame clouds. By now I realize I was retarded and forgot to drop my scrolls, oh well no going back now.
n46QTiG.png

End result, all the vault guards are dead in just a few turns as well as various other powerful creatures that came running from the noise. Shame about the scrolls. I'm naturally wearing rF+++ for this to not be suicide but in cases like this it amazing.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Really fucking stupid that even as 100% fireproof nignog you still can't keep your scrolls safe. Not even by shoving them up your arse.

Yes, I am very upset about the lack of fire-safe sacks in DCSS.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
But if your scrolls were safe, then you wouldn't need to make stashes and anally store all but 2 of every scroll and potion in them and backtrack every time you use one. Think of how awful that would be!

muckguppy

Prophet
I want to play more DCSS but I have trouble finding the right god. I want a god who gets up early (early) I want a god who stays up late (late) I want a god who's prepared to give, +6 or +5 shit for minimum sacs.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I'm under the impression that gods tend to be a scale of "how fast do I want to get powers, in exchange for being lamer in end-game", with gods like Trog and Yred being on one end, and TSO and Zin on the other.

I think Mahkleb is probably the best "balanced" god in that regard. There's never a time where he's "useless." He's just inherently risky since there's always a chance your Greater Demons will turn on you so you don't want to roll that dice TOO often.

Also there's basically only 2 Gods that gift you equipment: Trog and Okawaru, so if you really want gifting... Sif Muna gifts books but those don't have +s.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just get the card god. You get some shit right away and by the end game you'll have more decks than you can carry. Nothing like walking into zot:5 and dropping down your own personal demon army.

TripJack

Hedonist
0.14 is out, 2 new races, 1 new god, the bottom of the dungeon has been shortened and redone as a new branch, the vaults require a rune to enter

changelog download

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Heard they took out a lot of features in recent years, what is the more "complete" version? Any worthwhile forks?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Heard they took out a lot of features in recent years, what is the more "complete" version? Any worthwhile forks?

Yea, the game changed a lot, most for the better though. I've been playing some recently.

New races, new spells, way more balanced (even if they did massacre most of my favorite strats).

Not sure about forks but the difference between current stable and trunk is quite major.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom