Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Duck and Cover looking for editorial staff

if psychosniper isn't dead due to a lack of ammo he should be put in charge maybe

naossano

Cipher
I don't think that loving good things = Being old.
no, but your first games will imprint you and you need to collect a large library of patterns to compare shit to. look at the mm thread and see how the opinions are divided between mm1+2 vs mm3-5 vs mm6+ mostly based on what people played first. good taste might not equal being old, but being young makes it much easier to have a shitty one.

I don't buy that. It might have an influence, but it doesn't define everything.

I am pretty used to 90s games, yet i can enjoy new games. I love Metro/Shadowrun/The Witcher 1 games. Those games doesn't necessery provide all the things i want from my personnal checklist, but they work, what they provide is solid and enjoyable.

Also, there were quite a bunch of games that were released in the 90s, that were very much Bethesda-like that had a fair success. But they were forgotten as they were quickly replaced by the new shiny things.

Also, opinions could change. For instance, i was initially quite fond of the GTA games (GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas), then after a few years, i realised that they ended up being a waste of time, and nothing really mattered in those games. You can enjoy something on day one, and then slowly get a more realistic opinion as the time goes on.

Not to mention that you don't necessary love all the first games you tried. When i was young(er) i tried to play Baldur's Gate many times. The gameplay wasn't bad, there were many RPG elements, and it was highly praised. I really tried to finish it, but i was never willing enough to do it. As a whole, it didn't gave me the will to try out any other RPG. I took me years to try out another RPG. Someday i ended up taking Fallout 2 on a store, without knowing anything about it and it worked for me, thanks to the quality of writting.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i am not saying it is everything, i am saying it has a significant influence and gave you an example on this very forum that you can check out yourself to see that in action.
then after a few years
.... i am confused, are you trying to argue against or for me? cos that example is pretty much in support of me saying being young makes it easier to have shitty taste.

naossano

Cipher
In case we misunderstood, i got the feeling you implied that the first games you play define you forever, which is what i was answering to. In my opinion, we aren't necessary stuck in loving the first things we loved as children. We can be pleased by new things if they are good, or we could end up disregard your previous taste if they weren't deep enough.

(On a side note, i have no problem with people having poor taste/culture. What bothers me is when they try to state things that are outright false, and don't bother making proper research when you point out their mistake)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom