Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Duck and Cover looking for editorial staff

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Duck and Cover

Are you a bad enough dude to remember, or to have been a member of, the famous Duck and Cover? As Taluntain lets us know, the Fallout-dedicated website is now seeking new staff aka a "clean-up crew". Titanium bones required to apply.

As all of you have probably noticed by now, DAC has been falling apart, bit by bit, for a number of years now. As nobody is really in charge here and/or doesn't really want to do anything much with the site, it's been falling into disrepair more and more. I hate to see that happen to any site so consider this an open call for serious candidates to take over and for discussion where (if anywhere) we want DAC to go in the future.

DU and I have some plans for fixing the most pressing issues (like getting off this old, half-broken phpBB), but that's really just a small part of the changes needed around here if DAC is to have any real future. Fixing up DAC would take weeks/months of serious work and dedication so anyone counting on being given a shot at that should take that into account.

There have been a few half-assed attempts at a renewal here over the years but it's all basically died in the conceptual stages or soon after. DAC mostly needs at least one content guy willing to put some effort into sorting out that side of DAC (as a lot of old stuff is just sitting on FTP and hasn't been properly linked to the site in years because nobody bothered) and one code guy to take over and help with all the technical aspects of running a website, upgrading the forums, keeping various scripts up to date and so on.

Needless to say, a great amount of love for Fallout and DAC is a requirement for any candidate.

If you think you've got what DAC needs (and have references to back you up - please don't waste my time if you're not 100% committed), PM me and tell me why you should be put on the DAC team.​

If you think your bones are up to either of the tasks (i.e. either content or code), do PM Taluntain here or on DAC. Neanderthals and mutants are welcome.

Kalasanty11

Learned
You think this sucks? NMA now has admin who openly admits to love Fallout 3. I've been there recenty... The place is slowly taken over by Bethesda fans.
No tomorrow...

m_s0

Arcane
I forgot DAC even existed. Haven't visited it in ages and I'm not exactly frequenting NMA either. Bethesda made me steer clear of sites dedicated to Fallout.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope NMA will not have the same fate as Duck&Cover, even more now when Brother None has left for greener pastures.
I miss the days when Rosh cut in raw flesh on the NMA forums with his comebacks. I don't know if he posted on D&C forums also.
By the way, does anybody know if Rosh is still active on the Codex or other forums? Last time if I remember correctly he said he works on a game project or something (that before he left NMA for selling itself and not being critical enough for the travesty Fallout 3 is).

PS: May I have a Rosh fanboy tag pretty please with cyanide lumps on top? :)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I haven't seen the Rosh persona since Fallout 3 either. I assume he lost interest.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
You think this sucks? NMA now has admin who openly admits to love Fallout 3. I've been there recenty... The place is slowly taken over by Bethesda fans.
No tomorrow...

Are you kidding ? That guy barely defend the game. He is also more than willing to admit some of the game flaws.
By the way, even if i enjoy NMA, i wish there are sometime some sane Fo3 fans to discuss with.
Even if i have no love for this game, i don't like the reputation we have (NMA) of not being able to recognize the game merits.

Kalasanty11

Learned
Are you kidding ? That guy barely defend the game. He is also more than willing to admit some of the game flaws.
"I will share my thoughts on why I loved Fallout 3 and still do". "That being said, it's still my favourite game".
Even if i have no love for this game, i don't like the reputation we have (NMA) of not being able to recognize the game merits.
Nonsense, NMA has to stay full of "glittering gems of hatred" ;)
Also, someone from NMA (or was it Codex?) said something like this: "considering how much undeserved praise F3 gets from general public, I'd say that we still are not hating it enough". It wasn't (just) edginess. There has to be someone to point out flaws of this game.

m_s0

Arcane
By the way, even if i enjoy NMA, i wish there are sometime some sane Fo3 fans to discuss with.
What merits?

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What merits?

The music was enjoyable, Bethesda must be very talented to write all those songs.

Also give the job to Andhaira, that should keep him busy.

naossano

Cipher
"I will share my thoughts on why I loved Fallout 3 and still do". "That being said, it's still my favourite game".
Nonsense, NMA has to stay full of "glittering gems of hatred" ;)
Also, someone from NMA (or was it Codex?) said something like this: "considering how much undeserved praise F3 gets from general public, I'd say that we still are not hating it enough". It wasn't (just) edginess. There has to be someone to point out flaws of this game.

It is totally fair to be honest with it, but there is the whole thing about NMA being considered as a HQ for people hating Fo3. This is an HQ for people loving Fallout. Most people that love Fallout logically hate Fo3, but it is rather a consequence than the purpose of the community. If someone loves Fo3, i don't see why he shouldn't be welcomed too, as long as he doesn't say non sense. (which is rare, but exists). The dude mentionned in the NMA staff, IMO, didn't spit non sense about the classics, and mostly focused about fair things to love about Fo3, not inventing stuff like better writting or C&C. In short, he expresses his love for a thing while still being fair. In the end, it is a matter of people being able to discuss with each other, not creating a clan of people reunited by hate, even if Fo3 IS a giant pile of crap, especially considering Fo standards.

About Fo3 merits, or rather things we consider done right, or almost, we have a thread for that, but most outsiders that talk about NMA fail to mention it.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?200412-Things-that-Fallout-3-did-right!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

:dead:
Rip, dac.

Really though, the place was dead even in the fallout 3 days. I say we just retool the whole thing into a giant diagram of why fallout 3 sucks, complete with video reviews explaining just how stupid each element of the game was, photos of the game CDs being melted in a microwave and photoshopped pics of Todd and Pete in different humorous and gentlemanly poses.
I've been there recenty... The place is slowly taken over by Bethesda fans.
No tomorrow...
Sort of like the codex then? :M

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
Just doing some reading on XenForo right now. I don't know if we have any plans to, but the possibility of using more types of code and potential to include Java would make the site significantly more useful/powerful.

An actual comment on that DaC thread.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Why bother? To post Fallout 3 and 4 news announcements? Just merge with codex and have a separate subforum for FO 1 & 2 needs. Problem solved.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
I never even knew DAC still has a userbase. I thought it was already a ghost town by 2010.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom