Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drox Operative or Din's Curse?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They are currently both on steam sale, is drox operative just dins curse in space? Which one to get ?

nomask7

Arcane
Din's Curse has dungeons, Drox Operative only has open space from what I have seen so far.

In my experience, timed quests work rather well in Din's Curse, but they can be a mess in Drox Operative as often as not, partly because in the former you'll know what dungeon level you need to reach to start completing a specific quest but in Drox Operative you have no fucking clue how to get to which star system before you explore them.

EDIT: I guess Drox Operative is more about doing quests AFTER you've explored the available star systems, while in Din's Curse it's doable to do quests while you're going through the dungeon for the first time and complete most of the quests that way (as long as you prioritise speed over exploration).

If you like space ships a lot, then maybe consider Drox Operative, it's still mostly a functional and potentially enjoyable game. Personally, I like Din's Curse a lot more.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I've read that Drox operative is 4X played by AI, is Din's Curse also 4x ?

nomask7

Arcane
In Din's Curse you get quests mostly from townsfolk and Din himself, and some of those quests will result in the town being invaded if you don't complete them fast enough. Some claim that the clock for a specific quest starts ticking only after you accept that quest, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I can tell, maybe it was in some earlier version of the game. Anyway, all you have to do is complete all non-optional quests and you have saved the city, it's elegant, doesn't take very long, and usually creates no annoyance.

In Drox, well there are factions, and things can get a bit messy and drawn out. I don't have a lot of experience with that game though. Unlike in Din's Curse, there are different win conditions, you can read about them at google. There's probably also demos available of these games.

I like the graphics and dungeons of Din's Curse a lot, so for me there's no competition, but I can't read your mind so I'd recommend trying out the demos.

nomask7

Arcane
Speaking of dynamic game world, I used to sort of not pay attention to monsters building machines in Din's Curse, but more recently I've noticed such machines can be a serious concern if you already have a rough time, plus they can cause effects like food prices being higher. It's worthwhile to pay attention to quests regarding them and stop the builders before they have built those machines.

One time my character was cursed by a machine that a monster had built on the fifth level of the dungeon and that curses objects in the game world. I noticed my character was no longer able to wear his chest armor, and I didn't have a backup armor, so I had to push through to the fifth level from the third level and explore it to find the machine so I could destroy it. That was pretty intense. Not that the armor mattered greatly, but I was already struggling and with the curse, which also affected strength and damage, I was struggling more so.

I'd also add that the dungeons, although procedurally generated, are often varied and have a certain recognisable shape, in the sense that sometimes for example you have multiple paths to the gate that teleports you back to town or to stairs leading down, whereas sometimes there's one long path at some point that you have to push through - or anything in between - and sometimes the stairs are close by, and sometimes healing crystals are conveniently placed, sometimes not. Going through a few levels of a dungeon can be distinctly harder or more interesting depending on the features they have. I have to give the devs credit for being able to make the dungeon crawling interesting and relatively varied in a procedurally generated game. Monsters are also rather varied and sometimes interesting. If you meet a corpse eating little fucker, kill it fast because it grows into a nigh unstoppable juggernaut if it gets to eat too many corpses.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Drox, by far. Din's curse is a sub-par Diablo clone with some interesting side mechanics that are nowhere near enough to make it worth it over the Big 3 (Diablo 3, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile). Drox has similar mechanics, and no competition. The novelty alone makes it worth playing.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Drox, by far. Din's curse is a sub-par Diablo clone with some interesting side mechanics that are nowhere near enough to make it worth it over the Big 3 (Diablo 3, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile). Drox has similar mechanics, and no competition. The noverly alone makes it worth playing.
You are a dumbshit, too bad i cant use both ratings at the same time.

If I could only play one it would probably be Drox, because 4X Space Diablo is really unique in its own right. I found it a lot of fun.

Then again I've never given Din's Curse much of a chance. I'm easily befuddled by its interface, misclick all over the place and find the movement in general to be really clunky. I have more trouble controlling it than any other Diablo-like. Not going to necessarily blame the game for what might be my own retardation though.

nomask7

Arcane
If I could only play one it would probably be Drox, because 4X Space Diablo is really unique in its own right. I found it a lot of fun.

Then again I've never given Din's Curse much of a chance. I'm easily befuddled by its interface, misclick all over the place and find the movement in general to be really clunky. I have more trouble controlling it than any other Diablo-like. Not going to necessarily blame the game for what might be my own retardation though.

When you're attacking a group, hitting the enemy you want to hit can sometimes be problematic, but other than that I haven't found the controls to be an issue. Maybe you have show-loot toggled on or something.

Drox on the other hand can be slow as fuck if you don't realise you need to prioritise speed when choosing components for your ship. Upgrading into a heavy mega tank sounds like fun until you have to actually move around.

duanth123

Arcane
They are currently both on steam sale, is drox operative just dins curse in space? Which one to get ?

I'd buy both if money's no object; otherwise try the relatively large demos of each first.

Soldak games are very particular, you might easily love or hate them regardless of your feelings towards their underlying genre.

Also, if you're a graphix whore you'll probably be disappointed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom