Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

DrDungeon

Developer
Cool! With the char create, the idea is that the main attributes when rolled will determine the base values of skills. For example. when rolling a fighter, his melee and I think unarmed will be somewhat
higher when than the other values. When you roll over the skills, it should display what skills they affect for the classes. Then you can assign points.

When leving up, the chars will auto-progress in the skills they are good at, depending on class, allowing the player to put bonus's in other skills, or maybe the same skills to
make him, for example, a mega puncher. I felt this allows the maximum character tweaking seeing as its only the one guy.

Good work on the dungeon! Try going over to Leodalf's place. He sends you to some fairly easy dungeons in reference to getting the spellbook.
Those dungeons are pretty fun because each has some challenges where the player can try the spells he just learned. Thought this would be a more interesting approach for
learning the mechanics, rather than just the manual. Let me know how you make and thanks for buying the game.

I tried to work madman that the real mystery of what's going on slowly is shown to the player. Hope I succeeded in that! -Rob

crpgnut

Augur
I just created the nice bow and since my druid has focused on that as her combat skill, this should work out nicely. I'm mostly wandering around looking for dungeons right now. I'd love to see more inventory slots and a hotbar for spells and weapon swapping. Not sure if that's within the capabilities of yourself or your engine. What is the level cap? I've been playing for quite a while and am only 3rd level, so I expect it to be 10 or less, but there is no way to know how big the landmass is or how much I've covered. I've been in 5 or 6 dungeons and have 3/4 of the spells. I'm also curious as to inventory. I've bought or found all the nicest gear in the first town. Will other towns have higher weapons and armor or have I already maxed out the gear? Finding loot while exploring is why I'm playing. I hope that there are more opportunities to upgrade as I keep going. I never play for the story. Could care less if my sister rots :)

crpgnut

Augur
I'm in the blasted lands and supposedly there is a dungeon. I've been all over the place multiple times and I don't see a dungeon. I'm leveling up very frequently due to the combat though. Respawn is constant and fire elementals give a tone of xp. Even after my workaround spoiled below, I'd like to know where the dungeon is, if there really is one.

Okay, this may be an exploit, but to leave the blasted lands without finding the dungeon. I picked Killer Jack's pocket, which sent me to Maria. From there I used the broom without talking to Maria at all.

Last edited:

DrDungeon

Developer
Wow crpgnut! You must be the cleverest player ever! Won't mention the spoiler, but that is indeed the sneaky way out! If you dealt with the fire witch and did her little quest and read her book, you're OK.
The Blasted Lands has a large dungeon mostly for players to work their way out. There are two entrances. One is at 137S, 894E - a little northwest of where you are sent at first.
The other is a little east of the circular enclosed area - by the big plateau, right on the far east of the plateau at 98S, 944E

I'll get back about the land masses, cities, etc. in a bit.

crpgnut

Augur
Cool! I'll probably steal something just to clear the dungeon. I don't know why I'm not seeing the entrance. Is it the typical black tunnel looking thing like most of the other dungeons? I stole just so that I could take the fire sister a little something that I bought for her and her sister. Each has a task before they'll accept a gift, and I did those tasks. I went from level 3 to level 6 on Fire Elementals, so I'm back outside shrining around and selling loot.
Still would love a bigger inventory, but I figure I'll start storing all gear in broomland. It would be awesome if one of the portals in broomland would take you back to the exact location you teleported from. It may even already do that. Some portals aren't active for me yet. I assume this is because I haven't been to the associated place. I assume one is for a certain castle way out west for instance.
Do you get some type of acknowledgement from the two sisters once they meet? Hope so.

crpgnut

Augur
It seems weird that people have been talking about these games for multiple years, yet when a new Dr. Dungeon game hits the market, no Codexers are actually "playing" it. I thought this was the old school grognards....

P.S. There are 3 or 4 of us playing over at RPGWatch. Still, kudos to the Codex for this thread and for reaching out to the good Dr.

Mustawd

The sad reality is that there are too many good games to choose from at the moment. It's not that I don't want to play them. But there's already a large glut of games on my backlog that need to be touched. I might purchase it...but to the end of the backlog it goes.

Had it come out, say two years ago, you'd probably see more activity.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I would love to play MADMAN, alas so many good games so little time. I still have not even touched W2, D:OS, POE, Stasis.:(

m_s0

Arcane
It seems weird that people have been talking about these games for multiple years, yet when a new Dr. Dungeon game hits the market, no Codexers are actually "playing" it. I thought this was the old school grognards....

P.S. There are 3 or 4 of us playing over at RPGWatch. Still, kudos to the Codex for this thread and for reaching out to the good Dr.
Perhaps they're actually playing it, as opposed to "playing," and thus have little time to waste on posting about playing it :smug:

Mustawd

Ahh screw it...downloaded the demo. Let's take this for a spin...

EDIT: DrDungeon, how do I report bugs? I know I'm only in the demo version, but it''d be useful to know. I think I'll buy the full game once I get to the end of the demo.

Last edited by a moderator:

crpgnut

Augur
I'd love the coordinates for the dungeons in a nice spoiler text if someone has them handy.
I'm looking for the artifact leggings, belt, and last two vortex pieces. I like the game except for the massive amounts of empty areas. I'm pretty sure one of the pieces is in the dungeon in the icelands. This game could fit in about 1/2 the landmass for the content it provides. I've requested the same over at Machgryphon too

Really needs a magic lantern that doesn't need oil every 75 steps.

Fun game!

crpgnut

Augur
Hmmm, anyone have a spare circuit? I have 4 from a certain location where some sisters hooked up, but it looks like I need a 5th and can't find it....

Nevermind, must have covered that location 20 times before I saw it:

868S by 854 E via your sextant. Just south of a pond/lake

crpgnut

Augur
Madman - Finished the game a few minutes ago. I think I was level 11 or 12 and played a ranger. I also played a druid to level 9 or so just to see if it made any difference; it doesn't.

This game is very much in the mold of Geneforge, or Eschalon or even the old Excelsior. It can be played in about 30 hours as I played through it almost twice in 52 hours and a lot of that was backtracking. As far as difficulty, if you take ranged weapons and critical hits, you can finish around level 7. Any lower and you won't have enough skill points to spread around to the other skills.

Lot of fun, though the negatives would be that it is very barebones compared to games made today. There are only 3 little villages and probably less than 50 NPCs in the whole game. Still, lots of dungeons and it's fun getting rich enough to buy anything you want and still have gobs left over.

This is NOT a challenging game. This is for people who like to explore and clear the fog of war. Combat is never difficult if you choose ranged. If someone wanted to make it hard, go unarmed or melee and use just daggers :)

One last thing, though I really didn't mean for it to work out that way, I basically ended up playing a priest instead of a ranger. Who knew :D

Mustawd

Played it for a couple of hours today, and your description seems right on for me. The 3D portrait and overall art direction wasn't as jarring as I first thought it'd be (seeing that it combines 3d and 2d assets). And it feels a bit like Ultima Online back in the day.

crpgnut

Augur
Anybody seen the good Doc? Not going to make money by hiding out. He should be posting all over the place now that his game is out. It's the only way to get enough people to see it. A couple posts a week and this thing will disappear fast.

DrDungeon

Developer
I'm actually contacting a lot of youtubers who make "Let's Play" videos as I've learned this is a very good way to advertise the game. Also contacting a number of review sites
in hopes of getting the word out. It seems marketing is nearly as hard as programming!

The big thing is if I can somehow get more people to check out the Steam Greenlight. If it gets greenlit there's a lot more attention. Getting the word out is key, but its quite the task!

crpgnut

Augur
I'm actually contacting a lot of youtubers who make "Let's Play" videos as I've learned this is a very good way to advertise the game. Also contacting a number of review sites
in hopes of getting the word out. It seems marketing is nearly as hard as programming!

The big thing is if I can somehow get more people to check out the Steam Greenlight. If it gets greenlit there's a lot more attention. Getting the word out is key, but its quite the task!

I think marketing is harder than programming, personally. Programming can be done at leisure. Marketing has a very, very small window of opportunity to make good money. Most games make 80%+ of their money in the first 3 months of release. With the glut in the market, if you're not quick, you're broke.

DrDungeon

Developer
You can buy lamp oil at the store near Tammy, or sometimes lying around. Just pick it up and click it on the lamp.

PeeWee

Augur
Hello, it is me, PW, again. I call myself PW, but I needed more than 2 characters to create an account on this forum.

Dr. Dungeon is troubled by spam. While I am writing this, there are about 160 spam-posts and / or spam-topics on his forum on his Internetsite. He has already removed the (section of the) forum where one can talk about general stuff / all kinds of things / anything. I hope this problem will be solved. It looks like all of this spam is from somebody calling himself or herself Seerwayxnc.

People watching THIS forum might notice I post irregularly. This is because I sometimes have much to say and sometimes do not have anything to say. Please, do not consider my posts on this forum to be spam.

I have not talked to Dr. Dungeon about this, but it looks like so far there are THREE videos of people playing "MadMan". Here are TWO posts from Dr. Dungeon on "Steam":

First post:

Someone made a playthrough video! This is great because it shows a perspective from an actual player new to the game instead of me bragging. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MPUQnh66s

Second post:

There's two new videos out. One is part 2 of the first, the other is new:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o44bKWejak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgx7_NQ5jVQ

What I'm seeing and what I like is how they're fiddling a lot with interacting with the land and objects. Madman is heavily inspired by the great Ultima VII - where the interactive world was a big thing. There's a whole slew of stuff like this in madman.

Maybe the funnest thing of all is stepping on those snakes that eat butterflies! It really is satisfying much the way those plastic bubble package things are to pop!

You can even "encourage" the snakes to move where you want by dropping objects around them. I had thought of making some sort of quest involving this.

These were the two posts by Dr. Dungeon.

Spoiler-alert for the rest of this post!

Dr. Dungeon has already answered that question about how to fill a lantern and where to find (bottles of) lamp oil. There are not any plants to harvest lamp oil from. All lamp oil, that is not in a lantern, is in bottles. You can only have one lantern, but you can have more bottles of lamp oil. One bottle of lamp oil fills one lantern. Lamp oil is not only good as fuel for a lantern. It is also used for making potions. Talk to Bonnie at CliffSide and read both of her books to learn more about alchemy, herbalism and more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom