Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ULTIZURK

An extremely obscure series of Ultima clones from the 90s, created by Robert "Dr. Dungeon" Deutsch

ultizurk1.jpg

Judging by the name, they were also inspired by Zork. I remember playing these games back in the 90s. Thanks to Aeschylus for reminding me of their existence.​

Surprisingly, more than a decade after the release of his last game, Dr. Dungeon is still around and has made contact with the Codex in this thread. Encouraged by our interest, he has officially rereleased most of his games, including the entire Ultizurk series. They are now available for download at the Ultima Codex. Old shareware versions of the games that haven't yet been rereleased are also available.

THE GAMES:

Officially rereleased:
Ultizurk I: The Grandmaster's Quest
Ultizurk II: The Shadow Master
The Great Ultizurkian Underland v5.5
Ultizurk III Part 1: The Guildmaster's Quest v1.3
Ultizurk III Part 2: The Mobius Mind
Wraith v3.1 (may need to be unlocked)

Shareware:
Morbius' Isthmus v1 (actually an alternate version of The Great Ultizurkian Underland)
Madman v1 (can be unlocked)

In development:
Ultizurk IV: Lord of the Cyclops

Newly released:
Madman: Enhanced Edition (Steam Greenlight)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, the third game seems to be the most easy to find.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
No problem. :salute:
They were a lot of fun. Apparently the creator is actually working on-and-off on a sequel at the moment.

Here's another download link:
Ultizurk III

That is my personal favorite in the series.
From my own little archive of DOS games, here's another one by the same author in a similar style:
Wraith

Sadly, Ultizurk 2 seems to have been lost to the memory hole.

MMXI

Arcane
Amazing. A rare cRPG series that I hadn't heard of. Cheers Infinitron.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What the heck, one more from my dosgames folder:
Madman

In the same style as Ultizurk 3.

Yeah, I found the link for that already, post updated.

Only Ultizurk II is missing! Ultizurk IV seems to be vaporware. Mac-exclusive vaporware. o_O

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Update: Ultizurk III apparently had two parts, only the first of which was publicly available shareware. The second part was called "The Mobius Mind". Like Ultizurk II, it doesn't appear to be available anywhere.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
^ It might be worth dropping the good Dr. a line to see if he'd update his webpage with copies of his impossible-to-acquire old games.

Update: Ultizurk III apparently had two parts, only the first of which was publicly available shareware. The second part was called "The Mobius Mind". Like Ultizurk II, it doesn't appear to be available anywhere.

The FAQ for Ultizurk II in my link names it 'The Shadow Master'.

It might be worth dropping the good Dr. a line to see if he'd update his webpage with copies of his impossible-to-acquire old games.

Already done. Also invited the Good Doctor to attend this prestigious magazine with a link to this thread.

Luzur

Good Sir
somehow i recognize the screens.

maybe i have these games? gotta check the old pile of CD-R's and disk.

Morkar Left

Never heard of these games. It looks like some Ultima 7 light. Right about this?
The screenshots from the fourth game are looking very promising!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"Basically done". Was it released or not?
What if the greatest game in the world was released and nobody knew?

http://web.me.com/drdungeon/Site/Blog/Blog.html

Monday, November 22, 2010

Features in ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops

Ultizurk IV is basically done. At this writing we are only awaiting the last of the music score. Here is a little more detail about what to expect in the game. It has been in development off and on for nearly 10 years, and most of its many new features are a direct result of feedback from my previous games - what players liked and disliked. Here’s a brief outline of features as a result of this feedback over the years:
  • UZ4 is a large world with lots of exploration. There is a lot here not only pertinent to the quests, but useful and fun - towns, caverns, forests, mountain passes, lava regions and chilly northern climes as well. One doesn’t walk far without running into something of interest!
  • Incredible interactivity. You can interact with almost anything in the land, literally lifting and dropping objects everywhere on the land - in your inventory, in containers, etc. But more - there are many tools and machinery which actually work, allowing you to do such things as forge a sword from ore, trim sheep and thatch the wool into a coat, mix potions. Chop sling stones from rocks, make wine on a winepress, even bake bread and pop popcorn. You can walk up to a tree and pick an orange or gather herbs that grow in the land. If you see it, chances are you can interact with it in some way. Stylistically, it is similar to the old classic “Ultima 7” in this regard.
  • Full party of adventurers. UZ4 has a complete role-playing system with all the fixings we like in these games - plenty of stats, classes, skills, etc. However, it does not go overboard in this regard. Every stat and skill can and will affect something somewhere in the game.
You train your characters by actually visiting trainers having gained some field experience. Characters of certain classes will advance automatically in those skills important to the class, for example a thief will get better at things like lock-picking, stealing and pick-pocketing. But you can diversify your characters by taking them to the trainers and using your earned skill points. The result is that your characters can grow in the skills you want them to grow in, as well as their natural abilities.
Combat is turn-based, movement-point based, similar to the original Fallout games. It is not a click-fest! Very strategic, combat can be every bit as unpredictable as a real fight. There are many options and combat can be a lot of fun. In addition to the obligatory spells like heal or fireball, we’ve included several humorous spells that you can zap your enemies with. You’ll see!
Likewise with spells, there are many useful ones. In addition to typical buffing-type spells, there are things like BarterBoost and PickMaster and others which can help your party in non-combat situations.
-NPC Interaction. ALL NPC’s in Ultizurk 4 can be interacted with. There are many who go into a full talk-panel style interface where you can train, get quests, collect information, etc. But the NPC’s are not idle heads. They have lives. They will talk about themselves, what they do, why they are here, give opinions, etc. Even the guards in the game are not generic and each one is completely different from the other.
Related to talk - all NPC’s have photographic portraits to add to the realism, from the grumpy old mayor of New Grizbon, to the whacky Ol’ Killer Jack-Bill and the lovely lasses down in Amazon country...From normal people to those who are off the wall, you’ll meet them all in UZ4.
-Trading. We worked very hard to make our shops interesting. No generic pop-up panel here! Every shop you walk into in the land is completely different than the others. You literally see the items displayed on tables, and can pick them up and examine them before you buy, or talk to the shopkeeper about their wares. Selling is similar, where you simply drop the item on the old barter-block and the shopkeeper will give you an offer. Train up that bartering skill or use the BarterBoost spell and your bound to get a good deal.
There are also many NPC’s who walk around the towns, complete with “speech balloons” - these don’t say as much but they will always give information useful to the area in which they are, and greatly liven up the reality of the game world.
-Interface. The interface for UZ4 was designed to be very intuitive. So much so that even the in-game tutorial which you can turn off or on suggests that you just play around. Icons for various functions leave no confusing as to what exactly you are doing at any given time. You can look at and examine everything in site. Use trees for fruit or pick up a fishing pole and try your luck at a nearby lake. When making things or using items, your own party members will often advise you:
“Perhaps you should put a hot sword-blank on that forge before hitting it with that hammer!” or “Now all we need is an empty bottle and we can fill it with the wine in the press!”
At the click of a mouse you can pop up your inventories, check the player’s stats, split up or combine grouped items, etc. And there are keyboard shortcuts as well as a few right-click mouse shortcuts for common actions.
The game includes a detailed overhead map view, which shows surrounding terrain with unexplored regions in black. This is not a bunch of dots - its an actual mini-representation of the map. If you open a door on the main view, you’ll actually see the tiny door open on the mini-map!
An auto-journal system will alert you when ever something important happens, or if you stumble on something important.
-General stuff. Perhaps more than anything, UZ4 allows you to play the way you want to play. You are not forced in a typical go from point A to point B sort of way. You have quests, but you can take your time, even working to earn gold. And indeed, Ultizurk 4 doesn’t boast “hundreds of quests” which are all basically fed-ex or kill the rats types over and over, but rather the quests involve deeper ideas where, for example, you might save a town from bankruptcy or bring together members of a family, or convince someone that maybe their lifestyle is not necessarily the best path.
And yet as you explore the strange and mysterious world of UZ4, it becomes apparent that something dire and bizarre is about to happen. There is an uneasiness in the land and its up to you to find out what’s going on, for in Ultizurk IV: Lord of the Cyclops:
NOTHING IS AS IT SEEMS!

TripJack

Hedonist
how delightfully cleveian, hopefully he responds to the email

looks like a good game to LP...

Stabwound

Arcane
Ultizurk IV sounds really good, I'd love to play it. It sounds like it was more or less complete at the time of the Spiderweb forums posting, too, since he was looking for testers.

I hope Dr. Dungeon blesses us with a visit or email about the game. It sounds great.

Duckard

Augur
:salute:

This is why I keep coming to RPG Codex. Also, that picture of the smiling moustache dude looks familiar for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom