Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

DrDungeon

Developer
Bravo Guildmaster! Excellent work and you saved me a lot of time. I was pretty certain I had everything OK with Wendy, but wanted to make sure. Now time to fix the shrine point at 200 error Deuce mentioned and see about a map. Still waiting on Luzur's advice as I also fuss with worldmap ideas.

Even without the world map, I could make 4.3 available if anyone wants to try it with all the fixes. Let me know. -Rob

Luzur

Good Sir
Well i havent played Madman for a while now, Real life has had me busy, im gonna see if i cant get some playtime this weekend though.

And i had to scrap one version of the map, i am currently making a new one.

DrDungeon

Developer
I know exactly how it is with real life, Luzur. Take your time with that map! Know that the Castle, the Wizard's and myself are greatly appreciative of your efforts and may have a little surprise for you as a reward. -Rob

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Spoiler-ish
Well, I am getting closer. I retrieved two quarters of a circular vortex device I am trying to put back together. One was near a town and had to be polished, while the second was a reward for solving the peaches quest. There is a third at the Shades' castle, but I can't get to it despite using four rings to lower a wall. I talked to the other shades, but none seemed to have any clues on what to do next.

Also, I am still looking for the fire witch. It shows that I have explored everywhere except the final city, so I am unsure how I missed her.

Right now I am on a quest to create the magic crossbow.

I am hoping that I have to dig for the rubies in the blasted lands. I never dug out there, and if the rubies are to be found via shovel, I may be able to find the ten I need later.

Edit: Used the keys and traveled to a far complex to lower the third inside wall holding the circular vortex quarter. Now I'm trying to figure out how to lower the second wall.

Last edited:

DrDungeon

Developer
All the info on the walls is gotten by quests given talking to the wereshades. PeeWee has the whole list somewhere, but did you talk to the roof guy? The others that give the wall quests are inside and all will appear in your journal after you talk to them. When you get it, I think there's a message about talking to King Bahgeza for more information.

The only way to the Blasted Lands, where Fiametta the Fire Witch is, is if you fail a steal or pickpocket. Remember personal things are kept in chests. (I had clarified this but not sure if in the version you have - that the people are willing to share stuff in their homes, etc., but personal stuff is in containers.)

It would be unusual to get all the rubies in the Blasted Lands without seeing the witch as her castle is a nice size. Southeast of where Maria sends you when you fail the steal or pickpocket.

If you truly got all the rubies, I may have to make a little fix to be able to buy more at the art guild because I don't know off-hand how many are laying around the land. You won't need to dig, though. The gems are just scattered around the Blasted Lands with all the fire elementals and spiders.

DrDungeon

Developer
To Deuce Traveler, Luzur and PeeWee. This SHOULD work. Instead of starting the whole thing over, I have made available three new files in the dropbox which should upgrade the game to 4.3 without muffing up save games. Download the files:
madmanv1.debug.exe
wmap.bmp
wblue.bmp

Copy them into your mad directory and if it asks to over-write, just say OK.

Run game as usual.
Load your save game.
Go to the settings, and click a different speed for movement and combat. These need to be re-set because it will load the old values first.
Go back in the game and run around to see if you like the speed. SAVE game. EXIT game then rerun and load.

All should be well.

There are 20 rubies throughout the whole land, but if you sell them all, you can now buy rubies at the art guild. Just pray that you put some points in your bartering skill or you're rich.

Let me know if it works. It includes all the changes we discussed. You can now run away in and out of dungeon exits to avoid monsters. Their roaming range has been a little adjusted as well as some of the placements of monsters, as well as re-spawn time.

Entering dungeons should now allow longer re-spawn rates so you are more likely to explore awhile before the monsters re-appear, hopefully making it more realistic.
It is similar on exiting dungeons. Let me know what you think. -Rob

DrDungeon

Developer
I forgot to mention! You can indeed run out the exits to avoid combat. But some of the monsters found out what I did. You may have to...fight...your way to the exit. :)

Luzur

Good Sir
btw, where do the savegames go? i checked in Documents but i cant find them, are they in the madman folder?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only way to the Blasted Lands, where Fiametta the Fire Witch is, is if you fail a steal or pickpocket. Remember personal things are kept in chests. (I had clarified this but not sure if in the version you have - that the people are willing to share stuff in their homes, etc., but personal stuff is in containers.)

Oh wow. So you have to break the law in order to find the Fire Witch? I'm surprised there is no other way. Then what I thought was the blasted lands Northwest of Watercross is really just some barren desert.

I talked to the maze-maker on the roof and he told me how to get into the final city. I didn't realize that was connected to the wall puzzle, and thought it was something else entirely.

PeeWee

Augur
Warning: spoiler-alert(s)!

Note: This information is about version Beta 4.1 of the NEW "MadMan".

I talked to somebody, saying I both have to play and test and both think of what the player should do and what the player might do. He or she said I still forgot 1 thing, I also sometimes have to try something completely different, so not what the player should do and what I think the player is going to do, but just something totally different. Dr. Dungeon also mentioned some of this to me.

I also reached the limit of 200, just like Deuce Traveler. This was the skill of Detecting Secret Passages. I have not figured out if all 11 skills have their limits at 200 in this version of the NEW "MadMan".

There is a dungeon in the Icy Northlands. You cannot enter unless you are wearing the following 6 objects and to get them, you must do many things, including, among other things, saving Annie, picking 25 good oranges (not peaches and not rotten) for Dennis, saving Dennis’ farm, getting the broom and returning 10 of the 15 rubies from The Blasted Lands to the Fire Witch:

- the Magic Armor
- the Magic Gauntlets
- the Magic Helm
- the Magic Shield
- the Magic Leggings
- the Magic Boots

If you have not done so yet, talk to all 3 mayors:
- the one of WaterCross (Elizabeth) (before saving Annie, after saving Annie and after getting the Magic Gaunlets)
- the one of CliffSide (Jonathan Becker)
- the one of RiverView (George McHale) (talk to Gina as well)

About The Blasted Lands. There are 15 rubies on the floor / ground and you have to pick up 10 of them and give them to the Fire Witch. You cannot give the Fire Witch the Ring before you have given her 10 rubies from The Blasted Lands. Not 1 of the 15 rubies is buried and you do not have to dig to get any of the 15 rubies.

Talk to all 10 of the WereShades at the WereShade Castle. There are 4 of them outside (including the guard at the 2 switches and the WereShade on the roof of the WereShade Castle) and 6 of them inside. They should give you all the information about blasting / removing all 3 walls around the vortex quarter, including about 4 keys and 4 rings.

About the vortex. There are 4 quarters and you have to find all of them. You must also have the dirty one polished. You know one of them is inside the WereShade Castle, behind 3 walls. One of them can be found after getting the Grim Reaper. After blasting / removing the 3 walls and getting the vortex quarter, talk to Mighty Bahgeza for information about what to do when you have all 4 quarters and the dirty one has been polished.

If you have not done so yet, talk to all people at The Outside Inn at CliffSide, including Kristy, who can tell you what to do after getting the Grim Reaper. She will tell you how to get one of the quarters of the vortex.

I also thought of something about the end of the game. I will send Dr. Dungeon an e-mail about this, since I do not wish to mention this here.

To Deuce Traveler:
1 Yes, you have to commit a crime to go to The Blasted Lands.
2 The WereShade on the roof of the WereShade Castle tells you how to blast / remove one of the 3 walls to get one of the 4 vortex quarters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I understood what the wereshades were telling me. I just thought one of them was talking about a different puzzle entirely, since he mentioned the City of the Gods. I couldn't put two and two together since I had trouble understanding why I had to beat a puzzle on another side of the island to activate a wall inside the castle. The geography through me off completely as the puzzle doesn't seem rational. Then again, the game is called Madman...

DrDungeon

Developer
You got it right on the nail, Deuce. Those cool 'shades lost their gem, so the vortex quarter - to them - was a kind of filler. When you walk in with the gem, they are happy to get rid of the old, golden vortex. Likely, in some future we don't know they will safeguard the gem there, along with their crazy and sometimes distant contraptions to protect it. So its logical, but in a mad sort of way. How did you like Zehzaw of the roof? He's one of my favorites as he's pretty nutty.

When he sends you on the quest, did he say ISLE of the Gods, or CITY of the Gods? PeeWee check this! Its an important distinction and I want to make sure I didn't get a misprint in there.
Were you able to download and install the three files ok? When Luzur gets to it, I can delete those and put the official full version 4.3 in. Thanks man! You are well on your way to going mad! -Rob

DrDungeon

Developer
Luzur! I didn't forget you in the post. Uh, actually I did! Sorry man! There's a whole slew of save files in the mad directory. Anything with the extension .sv?, like .sv0, .sv1, etc. is a save file. They are little but numerous because everything in the land is saved. Everything you drop, every door you left open, even the particular step and direction of all the characters, all of it is saved in the precise position where you saved the game.

Also, for both Deuce and Luzur, look closely, especially when talking to characters. Many of them say whacky stuff if you look closely. For example, ask Ol' Killer for a hint.
Another funny place is Grom and the two masters there. Each one is wise but humble in saying that everyone thinks they are wise, etc. But whose everyone? They, Maria, and the guy outside the little dungeon are the only people in that micro town.

Go to the Outside Inn. Talk to Kristy, I think. She will tell you all about how sacred the wine dance is and how they must do it in order to make elderberry wine.
But she doesn't mention the wine presses! You can make wine easily with those! Plus they are all half-tanked, like, all the time.

Everyone in madman is a little nuts. But the madman himself doesn't seem too nutty. Maybe its me whose nuts. :) -Rob

PeeWee

Augur
Hello.

I have checked it:

Zehzaw of the roof, the WereShade on the roof of the WereShade Castle, says
"the Isle of the Gods"
and not
"the City of the Gods". After that the diary / journal also says
"the Isle of the Gods"
and not
"the City of the Gods".

Warning: Spoiler(s)-alerts!

Lamp oil can also be found.
Just like Bonnie does not sell the lamp oil and does not sell The Potion of Speed, she does not sell "remains".

Note that, among other things, you have to return 10 rubies to the Fire Witch to complete the game.

At The Shop in CliffSide, talk to Janelle and read the two books.
In CliffSide, talk to Bonnie and read both of her books, including about the elderberry wine and including the information on the slip of paper Bonnie left behind. You should now know, among other things, how to make elderberry wine, but here it is:
- take elderberries (for example: by picking them from an elderberry bush)
- take an empty bottle (for example: from The Shop at CliffSide or The Outside Inn at CliffSide)
- use the elderberries with a wine press (for example: the wine press at The Shop at CliffSide)
- use the empty bottle with the wine press

You now have a bottle of elderberry wine. You can now take a sip of elderberry wine by right-clicking on it while you are carrying it. You can also sometimes find a bottle of elderberry wine.

DrDungeon

Developer
I've uploaded the full beta 4.3 to the dropbox if anyone didn't get the separate upgrade files. It includes everything except a possible world map. That's still a little up in the air. -Rob

DrDungeon

Developer
Arrgh! Scratch that! Found a big error! Sometimes skill levels change for no reason during combat!!! Working on it now. Surprised neither I or anyone else noted this. My ranger had 25 in ranged, 25 in lockpick and really low stuff everywhere else. 7 and 7 in both unarmed and melee. Went into combat. When the snake man hit me, my unarmed and melee went to 40!
I may have put in a little cheat to test and forgot to take it out? Back to the lab!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Actually, I did find that. I thought you were giving a minimum score of 40 for melee and unarmed in case someone starts with a character poor in combat skills. I thought it was a feature and not a bug. Interesting to know.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Ok, I finished just about every quest in game, including merging the four quarters of the vertex and finding all magical armor and weapon. I have also entered the final dungeon and retrieved the key. Not sure what it unlocks just yet, but I decided to get some housework done before I reattack. Looks like I have everything explored, too, so the endgame is in sight.

Once done, I plan to do a RPG Codex preview of the game for the curious.

DrDungeon

Developer
Wow Deuce! You're almost there! Talk to Taylor the librarian in WaterCross. (The grey stone building northwest of the town hall.)

The bug is fixed in the all new version 4.4, now in the dropbox. The skills of unarmed and ranged will go to 40 every time combat is entered when you hit. If your skill level is higher, it will go down as well. Not sure if it happens on a ranged attack or not. Well, no matter now. Its fixed. Looking forward to your codex preview!

Luzur - don't know how far in you are, but if you don't mind the unarmed and melee bug, it should be completable where you are.
The test isn't done until we have the mighty Luzur's feedback as well. Not sure about the map. Have you worked on a map? My Indie friend is worried that a worldmap might belittle my minimap which he likes and has implemented into his own game. Myself, I can't make up my mind. Thanks, -Rob

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I still think a World Map would be good to show areas you have yet to find. Also a compass. I couldn't figure out where the ruins were until I went exploring the entire coastline until I accidentally found an area of 'black fog'. You see, I was told to look to the southeast. To me that meant to the right and bottom of the screen, but using the sextant I soon realized south was more to the left of my screen. I finally explored the lost city and have been burning through the game ever since. A worldmap that shows the areas I've explored, and a compass that showed me true north, would have been a huge benefit.

Luzur

Good Sir
Wow Deuce! You're almost there! Talk to Taylor the librarian in WaterCross. (The grey stone building northwest of the town hall.)

The bug is fixed in the all new version 4.4, now in the dropbox. The skills of unarmed and ranged will go to 40 every time combat is entered when you hit. If your skill level is higher, it will go down as well. Not sure if it happens on a ranged attack or not. Well, no matter now. Its fixed. Looking forward to your codex preview!

Luzur - don't know how far in you are, but if you don't mind the unarmed and melee bug, it should be completable where you are.
The test isn't done until we have the mighty Luzur's feedback as well. Not sure about the map. Have you worked on a map? My Indie friend is worried that a worldmap might belittle my minimap which he likes and has implemented into his own game. Myself, I can't make up my mind. Thanks, -Rob

well, im still lvl 1, but i have explored the starting village, gotten some nice equipment (thanks to treestumps), got some 8k in gold and explored the first dungeon (those parts i could explore, much was locked for me.) and now i am starting the quest for that spellbook in Cliffside.

and yeah i am working on a map, although i had an idea of a general map of the land, like for Might and Magic (towns, castles etc named and marked, and maybe a few beasts as examples of the dangers of the land) and not a detailed map, the one you sent me fulfills that role perfectly already.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
The game has been beaten. It reminds me of Ultima 1/2 in a lot of ways, despite its isometric look. In fact, I'll be saying much the same when I do the review. Don't worry though folks... you won't be fighting Tie-Fighters in this game.

Oh... there is a slight touch of Might and Magic, too.

DrDungeon

Developer
Good work! Hope you like how it wrapped up! But Ultima 1 and 2??? Even ultizurk 1 was fancier. :) Most people compare madman to something like ultima 7, which is its chief influence.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
^
Ultima 1: Turn-based, single player RPG where you select your attack for each round.
Ultima 7: Real-time with pause, party-based RPG where you press the auto attack button and watch everything unfold.

I will agree that Madman! and Ultima 7 are both isometric with a day-night cycle, however.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom