Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

PeeWee

Augur
Dr. Dungeon says about "MadMan": "It is going very well right now!"

Dr. Dungeon is an Indy programmer. Indy simply means "Independent Developer".

Dr. Dungeon will make "MadMan" a PC and Mac game using the keyboard and mouse.

There was going to be a character in "MadMan" called the WereShade, but this was cancelled and it looks like this character will not be there in "MadMan".

The game "ZURK X" was cancelled. The game after "ZURK IX: The Rendezvous" is "HERITAGE OF ZURK I: Elvenfire", then "HERITAGE OF ZURK II: The Crystal Mountains", then it was supposed to be "HERITAGE OF ZURK III: The Moonbeam", but Dr. Dungeon has never written that.

There are 6 text-based games, not RPG, by Dr. Dungeon, that I would like to talk about:

Babysitter I: The Night His Parents Went Out!
Babysitter II: The Kid Unleashed
Spook House I
Spook House II: The Last Vampire
Spook House III: The Levee
Spook House IV

"Babysitter I: The Night His Parents Went Out!" can be downloaded here:
http://www.nostalgia8.org/download/dos/baby1v3.zip

"Babysitter II: The Kid Unleashed" can be downloaded here:
http://www.nostalgia8.org/download/dos/babyiiv5.zip

"Spook House I" is lost forever.

"Spook House II: The Last Vampire" can be downloaded here:
http://www.nostalgia8.org/download/dos/spook231.zip

"Spook House III: The Levee" can be downloaded here:
http://www.nostalgia8.org/download/dos/spook31.exe.zip

"Spook House IV" has never been finished.

As for the games "The Great Ultizurkian Underland" and "Morbius’ Isthmus", they are the same game, but it would make more sense mentioning them in this order.

Dr. Dungeon is planning "MadMan" for July 4, 2013, but he says definitely before the end of the summer of 2013 and he is planning the big announcement he was talking about on this forum in this thread for the summer of 2013.

DrDungeon

Developer
Thanks for the update, PeeWee. What I meant by the Wereshade was the old picture of him on the old website, which was a recreation of the old graphics icon in the game. I don't have that old picture. But the WereShade is a monster type, alive and well in the land and there are many of them.

Still hoping for July 4th, but if later it won't be much later - definitely sometime this summer. Then my big announcement. It relates to the point where MadMan will be nearly done.

Thanks for the heads up on the text games. Its kind of a shame that text games went out of style so long ago. They could be considered a literary art form of reading but for some unknown reason a lot of people don't think so. Especially Spook House III. That was quite a tale there, but who will ever know it? -Rob

DrDungeon

Developer
Whoops! Almost forgot. MadMan will run on PC as well as Mac. This was just a sort of answer in a letter to PeeWee about Luzur's statement about the XBOX. I feel exactly like you do Luzur! I told PeeWee that when I play Tomb Raider, the gamepad controller is good. But then I was playing "The Testament of Sherlock Holmes" and it automatically used the pad - which was awful. Sherlock doesn't move like Lara! No way to change it in the settings, so I need to unplug my xbox controller to play Sherlock, then plug it back in for Lara!

No such hassle in MadMan! -Rob

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
July 4th? Very patriotic. :) Cleve has a bit over a month to beat you!

PeeWee

Augur
Sorry for the false information. The Wereshade will indeed be in the new "MadMan".

Some news: Dr. Dungeon is not going to make it, releasing "MadMan" on July 4, 2013. Dr. Dungeon is now hoping for the end of the summer of 2013 to release "MadMan" and to tell us about the major announcement.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sorry for the false information. The Wereshade will indeed be in the new "MadMan".

Some news: Dr. Dungeon is not going to make it, releasing "MadMan" on July 4, 2013. Dr. Dungeon is now hoping for the end of the summer of 2013 to release "MadMan" and to tell us about the major announcement.

With that timeline he'll still beat out Grimoire and Age of Decadence. :smug:

PeeWee

Augur
I have sent Deuce Traveler two screenshots for uploading. I think one of them is from the old "MadMan" and one of them is from the new "MadMan".

Dr. Dungeon asked me to let you know that:
- Dr. Dungeon expects to be done in about a month, plus a few extra weeks for tweaking and testing
- Dr. Dungeon is still looking at the end of summer for release

I think the major announcement will be at the end of the summer of 2013.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's a race between Cleve and Dr. Dungeon! :)

In all seriousness, here are the pics of the old version of the compared vs the new:

madold.bmp

New version:

madnew.bmp

PeeWee

Augur
I have sent two new screenshots to Deuce Traveler for uploading. Below is some text by Dr. Dungeon, about the two new screenshots.

The way I, PW, understand, Dr. Dungeon is planning to release the new "MadMan" on August 31, 2013. I hope he will make it, since there is so much going back to adjust things. There are two new characters: the Water Witch and the Fire Witch. They may be each other’s sister. Maybe one or both will be in the new "MadMan" / "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" / "MadMan II" (which may not be written). Dr. Dungeon may write a new text-based game, not an RPG, called "HERITAGE OF ZURK III: The Moonbeam".

Welcome to hell! Ye who would be thieves and scoundrels, who did not take
the time to increase thy thieving skills like lockpick and detect secret and disarm traps and
pickpocket and steal and backstab and hide in shadows, beware!

Get caught doing wrong in the land and thy doom is certain!

There are no guards.

There are no prisons.

There is only the Master of Justice.

The Master will punish you! You will be sent to:

The Blasted Lands! Hellish region of fire and lava, with only a pocketful of cotton berries to keep
you cool. It is said he or she who can find their way out is guiltless of crime, free again.

Few make it out.

Yet legend has it there is a lovely Fire Witch there. Queen of the Fire Elementals. Will she help
you? Or throw her legions of elementals and fire spiders at you?

On August 31st, 2013, Dr. Dungeon's "MADMAN" will be unleashed on the world! Prepare, battle-
hardened adventurers!

DrDungeon

Developer
Hi guys! Dr. Dungeon needs your help! I'm right now finalizing how resolution works in madman. What I'm working out is how resolutions in 16:9 vs. 16:10 will work. If anyone can spare the time, this would be very useful. I'm trying to determine what resolutions are common on 16:9 and 16:10 computers, PC's and Mac's. My thinking is that most displays that use 16:9 will probably have a selection for 1280x720, while most 16:10 displays will have an option for 1280x800. (I'll worry about 4:3 later - gotta flesh out the widescreen stuff first.)

If as many people as possible could check their screens, it would be a huge help! Just go to your video resolution appellate and see first what is the native resolution and is there either a 1280x720 or a 1280x800 option there?

For example, if your monitor is 1440x900, is there an option to go lower - and which is closest to 1280?
Likewise, if you have a notebook with 1366x768, what are the next lowest resolutions available, etc.

Getting up a list of as many of these as I can would be very helpful. Dealing with various resolutions was the #1 thing that killed the original version of UZ4, so this is really important for MadMan and the future of Ultizurk as well.

I'm also curious how many are still using CRT screens or is it mostly LCD's?

I am also considering making a "test engine" for distribution, which would be a mini-program that tests all the various features of Madman so that if the test engine works, Madman will too. Before that, I need the biggest list of supported resolutions on players computers that I can get.

This help would be very much appreciated and accelerate the completion of Madman, and ultimately a port of UZ4. Thanks a million! -Dr. Dungeon

Jashiin

Arcane
16:9

1280 x 720

Cannot wait for madman, Dr. Dungeon. Love everything I'm seeing so far. I'd be glad to use your engine test. :bro:

Morkar Left

1280x720 native on 16:9, never got higher for BG/Fallout-like games

netbook: 1024x600

DrDungeon

Developer
I'm curious if anyone has a 16:9 Mac and what resolutions are supported on it? Thanks, Dr. D.

DrDungeon

Developer
Once again Dr. Dungeon asks the help of the mighty RPG Codexers! I have made the Deluxe Resolution Checker-Outer! I'm not sure how to get it to others to try. It should check and set the resolution properly on any widescreen supporting 1280x720 or above, which is almost all of them as I've done a lot of checking on the 'net. (Infinitron, thanks for the tip!)

If anyone wants to mail me for the mini program and knows of a place it can be made available for download, please let me know. The little algorithm in it is exactly what the game will use and I think I got it right.

Not sure what it will do on 4:3 square monitor or CRT. Once it checks for all wide screen resolutions, it sets it to 1280x720 or 1280x800 depending on aspect ratio. As a last resort, it will then check if the monitor supports 1280x800 or 1280x720, so it MIGHT work on a square screen.

On a square CRT, I THINK it will make a rectangle with black borders top and bottom. I don't have a CRT hooked up to check but I know they are rapidly going obsolete.

If it can be made available, just run it and write down the bit of info that appears on the screen, and gaze at the giant Tammy there awhile, and also write if what it says on the screen is true! Thanks in advance! Until then, I remain,
- Dr. Dungeon
- In The Castle of
- The Mach Gryphon

PeeWee

Augur
To Infinitron and Deuce Traveler. I have just sent two versions, one for the PC and one for the Mac, to Deuce Traveler. Dr. Dungeon had asked me to send them to Deuce Traveler, and now I have done so. To anybody using this programme, could you run the right version, depending if you use a PC or a Mac, and let Dr. Dungeon know if everything the programme says is actually happening? For example, if the programme says the red outlines of the boxes should be visible, Dr. Dungeon wants to know if they are visible when the programme is run. The programme also tells you what the mouse should work like. Please test if this is the case.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It correctly detected mine as 16:9 and set it to 1280x720 resolution as well, so it seems to be working.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom