Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ooh. That's interesting. It may be a bit too much for some people here. The Codex does have its "fontfags".

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, it's certainly more legible. I'd say it fits with the overall campy flavor of the game. I'm not a big fonts person though.

DrDungeon

Developer
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Thanks norolim for giving me the much-needed kick in the can I needed to seriously re-consider the game-wide font system. I can indeed import any font now, and interestingly, in any size. Even weird sizes like 17 or 23.

Now I have a problem with this and really need advice from the mighty codex once again! Spent all afternoon researching on this. Ideally, I think the ultimate font would be a cross between Times New Roman with a slight Celtic flair, for readability as well as cool-looking-ness.

The problem goes something like this: You find a site: FREE fonts!!! Then you download and read the readme: "For PERSONAL use" COPYRIGHT is the problem! There seems to be a difference between free, royalty free, commercial license, that's a problem. I don't know where or how I can get or make a neat font that I can use.

This font in the sample is called "Celtec Garamound 2" or some such. Not even sure where I got it. Its not really clear on the site what you can and can't use.
I heard also about the dafont place and checked it out, and even there it seems there's some question as to what can be used commercially and not.

I'm half tempted to fiddle (pun intended) with the Roman font and celticize it myself! But that might push the limits of my art department. (Me and windows paint).

I don't know what to do! I gotta get a neat font in the game somehow!! HEEEELLLPP!!!! -Dr. D.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Thanks norolim for giving me the much-needed kick in the can I needed to seriously re-consider the game-wide font system. I can indeed import any font now, and interestingly, in any size. Even weird sizes like 17 or 23.

Now I have a problem with this and really need advice from the mighty codex once again! Spent all afternoon researching on this. Ideally, I think the ultimate font would be a cross between Times New Roman with a slight Celtic flair, for readability as well as cool-looking-ness.

The problem goes something like this: You find a site: FREE fonts!!! Then you download and read the readme: "For PERSONAL use" COPYRIGHT is the problem! There seems to be a difference between free, royalty free, commercial license, that's a problem. I don't know where or how I can get or make a neat font that I can use.

This font in the sample is called "Celtec Garamound 2" or some such. Not even sure where I got it. Its not really clear on the site what you can and can't use.
I heard also about the dafont place and checked it out, and even there it seems there's some question as to what can be used commercially and not.

I'm half tempted to fiddle (pun intended) with the Roman font and celticize it myself! But that might push the limits of my art department. (Me and windows paint).

I don't know what to do! I gotta get a neat font in the game somehow!! HEEEELLLPP!!!! -Dr. D.
Do a search for GPL fonts or Open Fonts Licence fonts. Those should both be free for use and distrubution as they are under public license.

Also, you might try out Deluxe Paint to enhance your 'art department' if you are doing pixel graphics.

DrDungeon

Developer
Ok, I was in touch with a fellow indy developer and he found a site with a zillion fonts. I can get the whole kit n kaboodle for $19, and use it commercially, and will do that, but I want to make sure I get the right one.

My personal feeling is that a cross between Times New Roman and Celtic would be nice, but let the players choose!

VOTE! Check out the site and vote. Whatever most players agree would be nice, it shall be used! Thanks, -Rob

Here's the font site:
http://www.1001freefonts.com/ifonts.php

PeeWee

Augur
You voted for a new font, and Dr. Dungeon has listened! There are 3 new screenshots. I sent them to Deuce Traveler for uploading. Dr. Dungeon would like those 3 new screenshots to be kept in the bitmap format they are in. I hope Deuce Traveler will upload them soon, kept in the bitmap format they are in.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks, PeeWee for the head's up. I check the Codex more than I do my personal mail, so this thread is the fastest way to alert me.

mad1.bmp

mad2.bmp

mad3.bmp

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
The font looks very good in the character sheet area (with the name and XP and stuff) and in the dialogue screen as well. You might consider messing with the font size and alignment a bit in the area at the bottom of the screen. It looks ok, but maybe just a bit awkward.

Jashiin

Arcane
That looks great, easy to read and the font is not at odds with the setting.

DrDungeon

Developer
I listen to every little detail. If Madman is not perfect, it shall not be released, and I am not Dr. Dungeon!! Or some other determined-sounding nonsense. :)

Aeschylus, I agree - but can't quite put my finger on why the info panel at the bottom doesn't look quite right. Do you think maybe the font is a little too large there? I was thinking smaller and a bit more to the right, and down from the top where its too close to the edge. Let me know what you thank.

I've been working several hours importing the new font system-wide. Journal and spell casting panels also now look great! Just a few more areas and my old blurry font is gone forever!

Also! Big news! I have incorporated the entire detect traps, disarm traps and detect secret doors stuff. Went much faster than I could have dreamed! And...with that, the "engine" is actually done! All that's left is the character create panel and the options panel. These are easy, so right now I'm concentrating on building more and more of the game world, which is really growing. If my guess is correct, the world should be about 5-10 times the size of the original, and a similar amount of more dialogue, and about twice as many new characters.

Its really coming along at full steam now! Yaaayyy!! Thanks again a million everyone for keeping me going! This is a whole awful lot of work putting this together! -Rob

P.S. And I didn't even need KICKSTARTER to do it!!! Being a one-man basement whacko has its advantages!

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Aeschylus, I agree - but can't quite put my finger on why the info panel at the bottom doesn't look quite right. Do you think maybe the font is a little too large there? I was thinking smaller and a bit more to the right, and down from the top where its too close to the edge. Let me know what you thank.
Yeah, I was thinking something similar. Having it a bit smaller and with a bit more padding above and to the side (and probably below too, when it fills up) would make it look better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom