Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

Atantuo

Barely Literate
Since some of you have actually played these games - is there a way to make inputs more responsive for UZ1 and 2? I've tried several combinations of CPU and graphics settings in DOSBox, but there is always a significant delay between button press and movement or action.
In fact, the game completely freezes for a moment with any input, even invalid ones.
Very high CPU cycles help counteract that, but it makes battle messages flash by too quickly to read, also in later games NPCs move around (and attack), so that's not really a viable option.

Underland's readme file (I don't have one for UZ1 or 2) mentions an in-game setting to adjust NPC movement and animation speeds, but for the first two games no such option seems to exist (I tried all possible inputs in UZ1; btw, don't hit ")", it soft-locked the game for me).

I assume it's just unavoidable due to the way the earlier games were programmed (in Basic?), but maybe I'm missing something...

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
There is no such options in the first 2 games i believe. Oh, and i have FAQs for U I and II, do you need them? And avoid the second part (UII).

DrDungeon

Developer
Just got this from GOG:

Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot for your submission and your interest in GOG.

We’ve taken a look at Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN!, it looks like an engaging and addictive RPG with cool in depth mechanic and big open world.

Unfortunately, however, we feel that the game would not be a good fit for GOG, as we think that it appears to be too niche and a bit too small in scale in terms of production value for our core users, which means that we aren’t confident in its release potential on our site.

For these reasons I’m afraid we will have to pass on Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN!

If you have any other games in the future that might be a better fit for GOG, please let us know, and hopefully we’ll be able to work together.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not surprising, I'm afraid.

For those who haven't realized this by now, then yeah, GOG is no longer "the universal oldschool game platform that'll take everybody who can't get on Steam". They haven't been that for a long time.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Then again it's true some graphic elements are jarring : i can accept the game looking like Ultima 6 or 7, but the cheap 3D used for character portraits is truly awful. Plus a more elegant UI would go a long way (sounds are good though).

But i guess it's case of changing every visual element or none of them...

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Not surprising. Potatoes at GOG cannot into business, and it's been like that for a while. ASA was rejected for some UI bullshit reason they gave, and The Cat Lady and Zafehouse almost didn't make it. Meanwhile we get gems like this and this and this. Must be a real hit with their "core users".

GOG's founded on the principles of selling old games, the likes of which include iso/top-down RPGs, but they keep selling casual shit that looks like unicorn vomit while turning down the more intriguing ones for the most trivial of reasons. It boggles the mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladonna

Arcane
GoG refused this? What a pack of morons...when you look at some of the dreck they try to sell...unbelievable.

Well, it looks like you will have to set up your own sales from your website Dr. Dungeon. Take a look at other small guys for inspiration.

m_s0

Arcane
That's not surprising, I'm afraid.

For those who haven't realized this by now, then yeah, GOG is no longer "the universal oldschool game platform that'll take everybody who can't get on Steam". They haven't been that for a long time.
This isn't anybody, though. They can market Vogel so why not do the same with a much more colorful DrDungeon? Does the overhead really make it not worth the bother? I don't get it.
Screw GOG if this game isn't marketable enough for them. And ban that traitor :outrage:

DrDungeon: have you tried submitting the game to Desura?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
DrDungeon: Have a look at itch.io for DRM-free option. It's like Bandcamp for indie games and they have very generous revenue sharing policy (YOU as a developer determine the split).

Some examples:
http://ultrarunaway.itch.io/paper-sorcerer
http://eigen.itch.io/pioneers
http://dingalingboy.itch.io/lisathepainfulrpg
http://managore.itch.io/sandstorm
http://miki151.itch.io/keeperrl
http://smoodlez.itch.io/forsaken-isle

You also could upload your previous games there.

I think Desura is...pretty much dying and itch.io is taking its place slowly.

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
I wouldn't know as I've never really followed them that closely. Still, it wouldn't hurt. Haven't heard of itch.io up to this point - thanks for posting the links.

PeeWee

Augur
Thank you for changing that mistake about "Morbius’ Isthmus".

To Infinitron:
Thank you for getting Kenneth to fix the download links on his site.

To Kenneth:
Thank you for fixing the download links on your site.

At one point Dr. Dungeon talked about "Indie games like mine" and said:
"In case you're wondering what "Indie" means, it simply means "Independent". It simply means usually a movie, and now games, that are made independently by a usually smaller group of people instead of the big, multi-million dollar corporations that make big mainstream games."

I have reminded Dr. Dungeon of several things, including
"set the game up with a real installer - like Install Shield or something".

Dr. Dungeon told me "As far as the installer":
"Fortunately, the installer part is done and works well."
and
"The installer I'm using is called "Inno Setup". It turns out that Install Shield is like six hundred dollars! Inno is what they call "open source", which basically means its free, and it does
everything Install Shield does, like put an icon on the desktop, the game in start menu, displays license agreements, etc."
and
"Its been up and running for awhile now."

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't heard any updates on this for awhile, so I hope Dr. Dungeon hasn't been too upset at GOG's rejection at not being too niche (odd considering it sells Drod) and giving up.

I think DrDungeon needs to forget Steam and GOG for now and instead show this game to Desura, who I am sure would accept it. Then he can profit.

In a few months, bundle sites like IndieGala will probably be willing to put his game in an CRPG bundle. He can profit again, and should have enough positive feedback to warrant designing a new game.

If he gains enough traction in a couple years, he can show GOG his sales figures and followers on popular media sites he should build for advertising, then present this game for GOG's approval once more. Then he can profit once more.

DrDungeon

Developer
Weird, Deuce! Even as you posted about an hour ago, I was indeed on Desura's site and am indeed working toward submitting it there. What I really need right now is to learn more about the whole marketing aspect, press releases, etc. Madman has gotten a fair amount of attention, mostly via word of mouth, so it is likely to get a lot more attention if I could get word out there on a mega scale.

If anyone has any advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Right now, on Steam, I'm seeing an interest rate of about 1 in 3. This is far beyond the abysmal figures I saw back in the old AOL days with my DOS games. So advertising somehow is the real key at this point. If Madman makes at least a reasonable profit, I do indeed plan to use that to get on with Ultizurk IV: Lord of the Cyclops, but I would need to hire some paid help for that to get it out in a reasonable time frame.

Dr. Dungeon doesn't plan to rest on his laurels. My creativity won't allow it!

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
DrDungeon

Since you've got a finished product and the looks of it seem to be GOG's main problem, why not using a crowdfunding campaign to update the game's graphics ?
That way you'd have a ready-made market study to show people and you'd still have the assets for your future projects, admitting it works obviously...

norolim

Arcane
I know little about "Steam". I noticed somebody wrote on "Steam":

Upvoted,
and please vote here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=425892033

Does anybody know what this means? Does anybody know if this is related to "MadMan" and if so, how?

Does anybody have any news about "MadMan"?
Steam has a program for independent developers wanting to publish their games on that platform. It's called Greenlight. Developers can submit their title and let Steam users vote on it. If they're interested in it, they "up vote" it. If not they "down vote" it. Depending on the interest, Steam decides whether to to admit the game to be sold on their site. Hope that's what you were asking about.

By the way, the link you posted is wrong. It redirects me to a game called Cave.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know little about "Steam". I noticed somebody wrote on "Steam":

Upvoted,
and please vote here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=425892033

Does anybody know what this means? Does anybody know if this is related to "MadMan" and if so, how?

Does anybody have any news about "MadMan"?
Steam has a program for independent developers wanting to publish their games on that platform. It's called Greenlight. Developers can submit their title and let Steam users vote on it. If they're interested in it, they "up vote" it. If not they "down vote" it. Depending on the interest, Steam decides whether to to admit the game to be sold on their site. Hope that's what you were asking about.

By the way, the link you posted is wrong. It redirects me to a game called Cave.

He was asking why somebody was advertising their Greenlight (for "Cave") on Madman's Greenlight page

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't have an option to report a comment to Steam, so I publicly questioned Leon on his action in the comments section.

The only other news I have on MadMan! is what Dr. Dungeon posted before: he is pursuing putting the game on Desura.

PeeWee

Augur
Thank you for your answers, Norolim, Infinitron and Deuce Traveler. I saw something happened on "Steam" and I wanted to know more.

To Infinitron:
When I visit the first post of this thread on the first page of this thread, I do not see all pictures I am supposed to see. Can you fix this?

Now that Norolim gave some information about "Steam", can anybody give information about "GOG" and "Desura"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom