Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakensang The dark eye char build?

Snufkin

Augur
Ok folk whats good build for Drakensang? Is it possible to play char that is not combat oriented but just talker/medic/thief?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Play the second part, The River of Time, instead. It's infinitely better.

If you still do want to play TDE, go with a mage. You'll be getting a PC-only armor that does not mess up your spellcasting, so getting a spellcaster gives the most bang for the buck out of it. Also, no, the game is 95% boring combat.

V_K

Arcane
Is it possible to play char that is not combat oriented but just talker/medic/thief?
If you take one of the mages that start with a summoning spell, then the summon can do the fighting for you (they're fairly powerful and last quite a long time).

Fenris 2.0

Augur
It doesen't matter what character you choose in Part One, there are so many NPCs that can cover all the bases. Healing Spells and Summons are important, but that can be handled by NPCs. You have to use the best armor for all your characters, even if it is horrible ugly. I recommend to play a Caster; a Full Caster is the best Choice IMO. You will find the human full Caster pretty late in the game.

There are not many Moments for Talkers to shine in Part One, Stealth is horrible implemented in both Games.

In Part Two you should play a Full Caster, a human or an elf, depending on what Companions you choose.

IIRC elven Fighters and human Alchemists and Charlatans are Half Casters, the most impressive Spells are not available for them (not that they are really neccessary, but they are nice to have). Geodes in Part Two are "Late Bloomers", you got it a lot easier with other Casters in the Beginning.

Edit:
There are racial Spells, that can't be learned by other Races, and there are Spells that can only be used by Full Mages; i.e. only an elven Full Mage can summon Animals and only a human Full Mage can summon Undead; there is at least one great Self-Buff only available to Elves, with this Spell elven Fighters shine, but you get the elven Fighter very late in the game.

Last edited:

Stokowski

Arcane
Be a caster of some description. They can become good "fighters". But if you start with no magical ability, you'll never develop any. And that sucks. Whereas, for example, a Healing Mage develops into far more than a heal-bot.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I like the half mage/half rogue dudes (I think they are charlatans?). They use rapiers, which have high wound rates, and if you stack your party to maximize wound potential combat goes way quicker as stuff instantly dies after a certain number of wounds, regardless of health (there's also a special rapier you eventually find that increases wound rates even further).

They aren't powerful mages, but they have enough to heal, which comes in handy.

I'd recommend the first game. Its not as good as "River of Time" and it's kind of grindy, but I thought it was fun (it has some good boss fights).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
First Drakensang, start with elementalist or metamage. First starts with Fire elemental spell, second with Skeletarius. However healing mage has big advantage of fast AE regen.

In River of Time, you can simply create any mage with fast AE regen .

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Healing Mage develops into far more than a heal-bot.

After beating River of Time with the warriors I wanted to try something less boring. Healing mage can learn some offensive spells and can be quite good in later parts of the game. The amazon chick is a good warrior, we shall see how the other companions are capable of attacking opponents. Some tanks are always important when you want to use a caster in a proper manner. I'm still in the first chapter and miss the quick travel option. Plus, it feels like there is more combat, even for a first tutorial section of the game.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Good thing about a mage is that trash combat can be finished immediately by casting Fireball (ignisphaero). With a high enough skill it oneshots everything. Just find a mob and cast it outside combat.

Also use mod to add a 4th follower.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom