Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakensang-Slowest starting game ever?

ColCol

Arcane
I mean, holy shit. Six hours or more into to this game and neither the plot or enemy encounters have even approached being interesting in any form.

aleph

Arcane
Unfortunately, that game will not get any better even if you play more then six hours.

ColCol

Arcane
Like, I encountered some cult early on and was like "hey, now it might pick up". Yet, the enemies consisted of guys with knives and the cult plot seemed to fizzle out (for now)

aleph

Arcane
There will be guys with swords later, so i guess you could consider that an improvement

aleph

Arcane
Yes, all this time you already invested in Drakensang will really pay off once enemies with swords arrive. I think there was even one encounter later on where you faced guys with crossbows. Could have been in the sequel though.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm quiet sure I finished the game back when it was released. But I remember NOTHING about it, not a single detail. I can't recall the plot, can't say a thing about the characters or even describe a single feature about Drakensang. The funny thing is, I never felt an urge to replay it either.

OP, tell me your impressions when/if you finish it.

Xbalanque

Educated
Yeah, I was not able to play the first one (haven't tried the second though). The came consists of boring ass fights with little to none tactics and annoying backtracking every ten minutes. You'd better switch to some other game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I tried to get into this game but couldn't. Gave up around the ten hour mark.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
The Core-Game doesen't get better, but there will be nice sights like another medium sized town, a big underground dwarven City and another underground city full of undead gnomish things. Oh, and the Dragon Fights were decent IIRC. As an TDE Fanboy I bought it at release, but stopped playing in the Witchwood, because of boredom. Tried it again during the big pre 2006 RPG-Drought and finished it.

I really liked the second one though, despite the same game mechanics.

Gord

Arcane
I liked it enough to play through it two times, but I've got a soft spot for Dark Eye games.
The game definitely had some issues, though.

Anyway, if you don't like it after 6 hours, don't keep on playing. You might try Drakensang 2: River of Time, which is better.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes, all this time you already invested in Drakensang will really pay off once enemies with swords arrive. I think there was even one encounter later on where you faced guys with crossbows. Could have been in the sequel though.
There was an encounter where you faced two guys with crossbows and one fucking bastard with a halberd. It all began because of frogs. Don't ask you'd need to see it. In my case it ended with two frogs doing ribbit. It had some choices and consequences.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
River of Time is a big improvement, but the original game is cool too. It is an RPG with a lot of stats, it is PC-only, it has attractive women with big boobs set in a lighthearted fantasy world, and so on. What's not to like?

ColCol

Arcane
The monotony of everything: Movement, encounters, characters, scenery, etc.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well it's not Skyrim open world detailed scenery. But if you played FF XIII, you know scenery is important.

pippin

I remember playing it some time ago because I wanted more Dark Eye experiences. The game wasn't anything special, and I never finished it, but it was fun. At least it had some stats, which apparently had actual effects in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom