Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Dragonshard" D&D RTS announced and previewed!

errorcode

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"There's one video i don't want to see leaked onto the web."

I agree, but the other way around is a different story... :shock:
oh man...that just killed whatever good buzz i had going...

atari_dm

Novice
Wow!

Wow, ok I had no idea this was going to get such a negative reception. If we’ve offended the site owner I apologize. Some of my friends who do the same job as I’m doing for other companies had very positive things to say about RPG Codex and its staff. I can assure people I’m not just sending out “copy fluff” my boss handed down. If there is any bad blood between this site and Atari I hope we can work to repair that relationship. If you would prefer we not post on your forums just let me and I’ll make sure to respect your wishes.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
As Saint mentioned, i think its got more to do with this being primarily a CRPG site, and the game being an RTS. That would be like covering, or giving news about, FPSers in a site dedicated to flight simulators.

Even so, i think posting this on the General Discussion board would have been more appropriate, as that forum is used for several types of discussion, including non-RPG news.

atari_dm

Novice
Part of the reason I posted to this site is because our game has a considerable amount of RPG elements to it. Much more than any other RTS type of game that has come before. We feel that there are three solid groups of gamers who will like this game RTS players, RPG players and loyal “D&D” enthusiasts. There is a considerable cross-over appeal to this game. Dragonshard has one solid foot in each category and I’d encourage anyone who will be out at Gen Con next week to stop and take a look at it and then come back and give your opinion. Good, bad, or indifferent. Discussion is a good thing.

I don't think too many people are that put out about it being on the wrong board, more about it being shameless advertising without requesting permission from the admins.

Discussion is a good thing.

Did you go to the Seventh Heaven p.r. school or the sesame street one. That is one of the single most condescending, patronising statements I have seen anyone attempt to pass off as sincerity on these boards.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So, please tell me more about this RPG part of your game. As I know next to nothing about RTSs (having extensively played only Warcrafts and Starcraft), I'm genuinely interested.
I hope it's far more than splitting units into "true" units and character types, awarding XPs and having a bit of character development, right? What about dialogues?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Discussion is a good thing indeed, so are you going to respond to my e-mail explaining the situation? I run Sorcerer's Place, a D&D site covering Dragonshard, which would have been your target audience, and host RPG Codex.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That's what I thought, of course. But if the guy came to RPGCodex, he has to have something more to present us, right? :cool: So I'm eagerly awaiting a response explaining what exactly the RPG elements of the game are.

Anonymous

It sounds like another 'build shit up and gather resources' RTS, but with a side of 'stupid 'original' idea' and then 'we liked the hero thing in Warlords, so we did something similiar' trait RTS games usually have.

Then ON TOP OF THAT, you have the incredibly lame ass Forgotten Realms setting and fudged up D&D stuff.

Tell your boss to stop being an unoriginal bastard, because Rome:Total War and Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War are gonna run all over you.

Anonymous

I agree, and I was looking forward to it earlier on. I'm not much of an RTS fan because of how people use the same goddamn designs over and over again (such as Dragonshard here) and the designs wernt that great to begin with.

Thankfully, the Total War games, Europa Universalis 2 and Dawn of War decided not to follow like a bunch of morons and took a new direction and came out mega awesome.

It was fairly polished as well I got little to no slowdown even when there was hordes of orcs teeming all over the screen with flames and others shiny effects everywhere.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I personally don't mind RTS - as long as they live side by side with TBS games (which are rare atm). RT are more fitting for larger battles while TB works better for those working with an over-all strategic element.

Oh, and I don't think atari_dm there did too much of a poo-poo, he just wandered into the dog pound with a big steak hanging out of his pants (and posting in the wrong forum). I'd think your friends would actually discourage you from coming here if they knew the place... :shock:

Maybe that was their little idea of a joke,

Bill: "Hey joe why don't you go to the codex forums, its full of nuns and comatose vietnamese midgets they're great. They'll love all that reprocessed crap you try to shovel them *teehee*"

Jo: "Sure Bill, this isn't like the time you told me there was a flying saucer behind me and when I turned around you had sex with my wife and stabbed me in the left kidney?"

Bill: "Of course not"

Jo: "Alrighty then..."

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Fucking marketing people.

If you want to create a "strong synergy" with gamers, or create a bit of viral marketing or whatever creepy buzzword it is you're using this week, then the trick is NOT TO ANNOUNCE IT. You do it, y'know, sneakily. Spamming some concept art and a cheery "hello, I work for the company but am empowered to communicate with peons" won't wash with me.

Also, if you work for Infogrames (not Atari, none of us buy that figleaf), a company with a less than stellar reputation for customer relations perhaps you'd use a little bit more finesse too.

:: sigh ::

Ironic thing is, I'm sort of interested in this game, if not the ham-fisted attempt at community relations on a notoriously rough-and-tumble forum. Didn't you research this site before you spammed it?

Oh, you're an intern. I get it.

Cheers
MC

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bill: "Hey joe why don't you go to the codex forums, its full of nuns and comatose vietnamese midgets they're great. They'll love all that reprocessed crap you try to shovel them *teehee*"

Jo: "Sure Bill, this isn't like the time you told me there was a flying saucer behind me and when I turned around you had sex with my wife and stabbed me in the left kidney?"

Bill: "Of course not"

Jo: "Alrighty then...""

Haha. Good stuff.

"Forgotten Realms setting"

Um. You DO realize it's not set in the Realms, right?

Anonymous

Well, that line is wrong then, oh well.

I just assumed it was using that setting, seeing as it has lots of rehashed garbage in it. Although I doubt the setting it uses is anything special.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well. I guess the Underdark was way to popular to cut out of the new setting, so they kept them and the Drow (surprise, surprise). Although Lolth isn't included and the Drow are drawing their magic from the negative plane of shadow or something or other...

Whipporowill

Erudite
It's also pretty funny that he posted here and not at Sorcerer's who even have a freaking dedicated forum to this particular game. I can see Taluntain feeling a wee bit peeved... heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom