Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Delterius

Arcane
TBH I'm pretty sure it won't happen but now that I know of this rumour I need to share misery with you lovely people.

Delterius

Arcane
:love:

A quick retrospective everyone.

Remember when Capcom released Dragon's Dogma related graphics but

l_52439d68a2d25_thumb.jpg

it was just an android app

remember when a teaser appeared, showing a pawn's hand?

FUCJA7UJTmYpvTJYa3gkbW-970-80.jpg

And then, do you remember that Moon Runes press release with actual Dragon's Dogma combat videos being featured?

That's right. That's Dragon's Dogma: Online. MMO. JP only, filthy gaijin.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Fan translation is only for UI from what i understand. While story isn't the main thing about DD having some sort of structure is definitely something you want to have if you want to spend xx amount of hours killing mobs.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hello.

Tried the game on PS3 sometime ago, but lags and low resolution turned me off. Now that it's available for PC, is it playable with keyboard and mouse? Back when I first played it I got an impression it was more of an action game, and the fact it was first released on consoles suggests that being primarily a keyboard/mouse player I should prepare to suffer.

Delterius

Arcane
If possible you should consider just using a controller. But I've read of people who got the K/M to work after heavily changing all keybindings. It might even be a better choice for normal bow users.

SumDrunkGuy

Just got back into this for the first time in years. I forgot how amazing this game is. Despite a few questionable design choices it's still the best open world ARPG of the past decade. The combat system and monster battles are just as satisfying now as they were back in 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's a pity the PC version of Dragon's Dogma didn't generate a sizable modding community. Granted, Capcom is partly to blame for not having ported it two or three years earlier. Dragon's Dogma not only has the best action-based combat system of any RPG, but also decent-to-good exploration, customization/progression, equipment/inventory, narrative, and C&C.

SumDrunkGuy

Dragon's Dogma not only has the best action-based combat system of any RPG

Eh, it's a toss up between this and Dark Souls (2's combat system specifically) for me. I wouldn't take one over the other as they're substantially different but equally badass in their own unique way.

Hyperion

Arcane
Good thing about NioH is we're most definitely getting a sequel. Dragon's Dogma on the other hand....at least we have Monster Hunter on current gen hardware, is all I can say.

:negative:

SumDrunkGuy

Yeah Nioh is up there. For whatever reason that game kicks my ass like no other though, so there's some hard feelings there... :argh:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is sadly very unique. Such cool ideas packed together, and although it's often critizised for its lack of polish, the execution is very good in my opinion. How you succesfully mix together?

- Open World. Good exploration, with some surprises.
- Decent dungeons.
- Party Based. Decent AI if you know how to guide its behaviour.
- Good RPG progression with a decent and varied roster of classes to chose. Ability to mix some other class skills into your character.
- real time combat, DMC lite style with lots of skills. Compelling,responsive and diverse, with fast melee style, heavy weapons, fun ranged combat with bows. Ability to climb big monsters...
- Cool, POWERFUL and varied spells, dangerous status effects. This is good old school stuff.

- Smart gameplay use of nice engine aspects like the good lightning. Simple good things like different and more dangerous monsters at night, and the atmosphere created with your oil lantern, are the ones that people miss in modern gaming. We don't want contrived and boring crafting systems, we want intelligent and organic gameplay decissions like that one.

- Respectable loot in my opinion.
- Cool bestiary, although it lacks variety. Great integration in world exploration (again I insist in the night monsters).
- Some very cool quests.

It's very hard to think about a game, half as polished, with so many systems and ideas.

The Decline

Arcane
The only major changes I would want from a sequel is proper modding support and up to 4 player co-op. Pawns are great, but delving into a user made dungeon with friends would be awesome.

Kitchen Utensil

Yeah, it's a gem. It also has the best character creator I know of. The armor system is great. Even the "platforming" aspects of it are top-notch and supported by a variety of skills. I found new little secret areas and paths a hundred hours into the game.
Unfortunately, even if Capcom decided to fund DD2, I don't think it'd come close.

SumDrunkGuy

If Capcom made DD2, it would basically be Skyrim on crack. I'll leave that up to you to decide if that's a good thing or a travesty (100% travesty). Capcom only cares about what makes money, not what makes a quality game.

Delterius

Arcane
If dd got the monster hunter treatment of 'the same but more' I'd be okay with it, actually.

Also we were supposed to eventually go to the moon in the original game, I need to know what the hell the devs were smoking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom