Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen released on PC

Martius

Liturgist
I can agree with that. For me it really feel first like mix of DMC and Monster Hunter first, then rpg and open world second. Its not really surprising since Capcom made only few old rpg and I dont recall anything with open world beyond Dragons Dogma. Still I think its decent enough. After few hours I still notice little surprises. Being eaten by giant hydra is rare occasion or apples which can be struck from tree to be collected.

Last edited:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
For me it really first like mix of DMC and Monster Hunter first, then rpg and open world second. Its not really surprising since Capcom made only few old rpg and I dont recall anything with open world beyond Dragons Dogma.

Good point, agree.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Awesome game. Play it on hard with only your own pawn, learn to use every bit of situational advantage provided by the items and level design. It has one of the most rewarding combat system I played in recent memory.
Also, shoot down those birds nests, eggs and golden eggs are excellent curative items to have, especially considering the latters' weight.

And keep in mind, as you increases the bra size of your pawn waifu that the character's weight matters when it comes to manoevrability and stamina consumption : http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Weight

Cassidy

Arcane
character height and weight affecting your reach, hitbox and how much you weight down on enemies

Todd Howard must already be taking notes on how to ditch numerical and written stats/skills/perks/etc forever in Bethesda's future "RPGs".

Delterius

Arcane
character height and weight affecting your reach, hitbox and how much you weight down on enemies

Todd Howard must already be taking notes on how to ditch numerical and written stats/skills/perks/etc forever in Bethesda's future "RPGs".
I wish Todd Howard took notes on how to actually make a good game, regardless of genre or intended audience. Sounds like wishful thinking, however.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The main character in the tutorial even looks like Todd Howard. I tried it, couldn't get past the tutorial, too consolized. Too mainstream actiony combat. People talk like we are in Game of Thrones (i.e. cringe-worthy). Oh well.

skyst

Augur
The main character in the tutorial even looks like Todd Howard. I tried it, couldn't get past the tutorial, too consolized. Too mainstream actiony combat. People talk like we are in Game of Thrones (i.e. cringe-worthy). Oh well.

I disliked the tutorial as well but pushed through and ended up rather enjoying the game. Would advise giving it another hour or so outside of the starter town.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I am officially declaring this game Problematic (TM)

dragons_dogma_problematic.jpg

$300 000 armour set is worse than the upgraded trash I am wearing qq.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I disliked the tutorial as well but pushed through and ended up rather enjoying the game. Would advise giving it another hour or so outside of the starter town.

I will eventually get to it, but I have other stuff to play :p

hivemind

I am officially declaring this game Problematic (TM)

dragons_dogma_problematic.jpg

$300 000 armour set is worse than the upgraded trash I am wearing qq.
Everything but the shield and the mace there look gay as fuck.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dark Souls is my gauge for idiots; if you dont like the game, saying it is too hard or simply disliking action combat its fine... but playing the game and saying that it doesnt have a story because it is not explained to you like a three year old is beyond retarded; it is the equivalent of reading The name of the Rose, Ulysses

Omg I'd love to hear you analyze Ulysses, jesus christ that'd be a treat. :lol:
Since I did my thesis on James Joyce I bet you would find it a treat cvv, too bad it is not in english, but if you happen to know french or spanish I would be more than happy to share it with you.
Hey now that is an idea, I bet you and Black would be like "Hey, what the fuck the guy is just walking the beach doing nothing, stupid book yo" much in the same way some fucktards say "Dark Souls has no story" because you dont understand how it is delivered to you and blindly do exactly what the mythos of the game is guiding them to do without questioning their actions, which is playing on "chosen one" archetypes and flipping it on its head...
But lets leave literary discussions some place else my friend, based on your posts sadly they seem to be a bit above you

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Pretty amazing action rpg. People shit on Capcom with reason, but they make tight engines and gameplay.

Shin

Cipher

Huge surprise that a game developed by capcom for the PS3 has "too consolized" combat. I don't see what the huge deal is about the combat engine (only played a few hours, it ain't exactly ninja gaiden) but it's kinda redundant to point out imho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom