Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen released on PC

Drowed

Arcane
It does have mouse support - but no mouse wheel, wtf with that?

+1 to shitty interface. You have to open the menu to use the map (can't bind it to "M" or whatever).

Delterius

Arcane
Is there any actual story/plot/dialogues/c&c or is it just aRPG hack'n'slash ala Dark Souls?
The story is as generic as it gets, its straight from the 80s. Dragon stole your heart and threatens the land, kill dragon and get heart back. However... the premise is bizarre, only really appears in the endgame and, almost like an epiphany, actually makes itself felt through the whole game retroactively.

Its an excellent Action RPG with many customization options that affect combat (such as character height and weight affecting your reach, hitbox and how much you weight down on enemies), classes with unique identities and a freeform combat that gives you a lot of courses of action derived from the uniqueness of each monster, the abilities you unlock and things such as climbing, plus how all these interact in a four man party of which 3 are controlled by a complex system of AI dispositions.

Get the demo on the consoles or another copy, play through the first few moments and see if this sort of thing appeals to you. You get to fight a 'big monster' right off the bat, called Chimera. Watch a few videos to get a feeling for the other, less vanilla classes, that you don't get to experiment with in the tutorial. This should give you an idea of whether you'll like it or not.

Is there any actual story/plot/dialogues/c&c or is it just aRPG hack'n'slash ala Dark Souls?
The c&c in this game fucking stomps twicher3. Its not just binary choice in the dialogue followed by different cutscene. Dialogues are servicable and plot at first seems full of cliches but after what seems like a final battle(best dragn fight ever) it opens up and actual end game + dlc are pretty cool with really bitter ending. Something you wouldnt expect from weebo acrpg.

Btw. Dark souls games are not h&s faggit. Just because they dont have 12 hours of fuckng cinematics to explain you story doesnt mean they lack actual plot.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The menu controls feels very japanese. Have no trouble with them though using a controller.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw. Dark souls games are not h&s faggit. Just because they dont have 12 hours of fuckng cinematics to explain you story doesnt mean they lack actual plot.

Well Donkey Kong has a plot too - whack the monkey, save the princess. DS is basically the same, with a lot of fartsy around it. That's not what I meant tho.

hivemind

Well Donkey Kong has a plot too - whack the monkey, save the princess. DS is basically the same, with a lot of fartsy around it. That's not what I meant tho.
ye
people who pretend that dark souls is some super piece of storytelling are just pretentious retards
the lore bits and shit are barely even narrative and serve an almost purely atmospheric function

ArchAngel

Arcane
From what I watched it on twitch, you get 3 companions like in DAI and like in DAI they do everything themselves while you can jerk off, drink coffee or watch the movie at the same time this "exciting" combat happens.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
TITO ANIC, WALKING DOWN THE STREET, SPOTS A STORE WITH AN ELECTRIC GUITAR LOGO CALLED ROCK 'N' ROLL RECORDS 'R' US BLASTING SOME SWEET ROCKING TUNES, WITH A SIGN OUTSIDE STATING "EXCLUSIVE SALE ON EXTREMELY ROCK-BASED ROCK AND ROLL RECORDS TODAY". HE SMIRKS. TODAY, SOMEONE WILL GET OWNED.

TITO ANIC: Good afternoon, gentlesir. I see from your charming sign that you have a sale on some musical goodosity. Whichfore type of music is on your offer?

STORE OWNER (SMILING): It's rock and roll music with the cool guitars and galloping drumbeats, for the men who like the good shit in life. Are you a fellow "rocker", my good man?

TITO ANIC: LMAO. I tricked you into talking about it. I don't actually like that music at all and only asked you about it ironically.

:5/5:

:bravo:

I dont mind shop selling popamole guitars bro :M

Last edited:

ye
people who pretend that dark souls is some super piece of storytelling are just pretentious retards
the lore bits and shit are barely even narrative and serve an almost purely atmospheric function
:nocountryforshitposters: cause there is only one way of story telling and its either cinematic cut scenes or fucking walls of text like in PoE? Souls games are one of very few games that actually use the medium to their advantage. “Show, don’t tell” instead of trying to emulate a fucking movie or book. The main vessel for storytelling in DS are the nonpareil environments and the player’s experience within those environments. Dark Souls shows how a game can really tell a story in a way no other medium can: gameplay and rarely has you not playing the game. Compare it to fuckton of cinematics in any other AAA title or those awful lore dumps in dialogues in kickstarter games like PoE/SR:HK. Not my problem that brainless morons like you cant put two and two together and find engrossing story of false prophecy and player being actually nothing more than a sacrificial pawn from item descriptions, npc dialogues and places you visit.

From what I watched it on twitch, you get 3 companions like in DAI and like in DAI they do everything themselves while you can jerk off, drink coffee or watch the movie at the same time this "exciting" combat happens.
you dont even know what are you talking about do you? Pawns cant beat shit for you after the initial prologue. Unless you play a support as a mage you have to actively take part in fights against anything that is not fucking goblins or you gonna get rekt. Combat is nothing like DAI , Twicher 3, Skyrim or any other AAA action crpg. It was made by team behind DMC3 and its fucking masterpiece.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That's not even true for DA:I, much less DD.
I watched people play DAI on twitch as well, and that is how it looked 95% of the time.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dark Souls is my gauge for idiots; if you dont like the game, saying it is too hard or simply disliking action combat its fine... but playing the game and saying that it doesnt have a story because it is not explained to you like a three year old is beyond retarded; it is the equivalent of reading The name of the Rose, Ulysses or Jabberwookie and saying it is shit because it proved too dificult for you to understand.
One of the things that I love about Dragons Dogma is that it fairly straightforward both in its narrative and execution and that is simply amazing, I lov having the chance of playing both games; one is like a delicious hamburger with bacon and cheese, while the other is Fillet Mignon...i wouldnt want to eat either all the time but having them both exist and appreciate them for what they are is fantastic

skyst

Augur
Random impressions: The game has way more pieces of armor and clothing, weapon abilities and items than is even remotely necessary. Having some fun chewing through it all to find the good stuff. Exploration has a bit of a Gothic/Risen vibe to it in that you can easily get in way over your head if you take off in a random direction for too long. Dungeons are well designed. Game seldom autosaves or checkpoints, I lost about 30 minutes while exploring and underestimating a fall distance.

Combat is pretty easy on normal. I understand hard is balanced for New Game +? Anyone tried it with a new character? I would but apparently you only get 1 save file.

Delterius

Arcane
That's not even true for DA:I, much less DD.
I watched people play DAI on twitch as well, and that is how it looked 95% of the time.
Sounds like they played on easy mode. And that you put stock on what you ser through twitch.

Cnaiur

Augur
This is a great game. Changed my Fighter to a Warrior as soon as I could to be able to wield two-handers and now I've got myself some Conan the Barbarian shit going on, together with my small Asian looking archer pawn.

The world actually plays into this very well, with a no-nonse setting and story and lots of big mythical creatures to jump on and slay. Exploration feels Gothic-like, as you can easily get yourself killed by encounters you're clearly not ready for in order to claim big XP and monetary rewards, but there's often a small chance you get out on top because of you mastering the combat system and/or weakness of the opponent.

GreyViper

Prophet
Also when playing this be ready to hear lots of.
"Wolves hunt in packs!"
"No! They have the advantage!"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dark Souls is my gauge for idiots; if you dont like the game, saying it is too hard or simply disliking action combat its fine... but playing the game and saying that it doesnt have a story because it is not explained to you like a three year old is beyond retarded; it is the equivalent of reading The name of the Rose, Ulysses

Omg I'd love to hear you analyze Ulysses, jesus christ that'd be a treat. :lol:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Combat is fluid with different classes from fighter with sword and shield, ranger with bows and daggers or mage which casts slow but devastating spells.

Agree on combat part but as a whole game does not have consistency imo: monsters do not make sense, world looks bland, music doesnt fit well and androgynous models are turn off for me. As a fan of open world titles i am dissapointed: DD which from the side looked as japanese title which wants to become decent western arpg - failed to deliver. I think it targets more Oblivion and Monster Hunter auditory than Gothic, FalloutNV. Dildos doesnt sound like pianos.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
monsters do not make sense, world looks bland, music doesnt fit well and androgynous models are turn off for me..

When you want to bash a game but you have no legitimate reason to do so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom