Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Wars

Just found the following post in the Dragon Wars subforum over at GOG. Pretty interesting if true (posted here because of relevance to BT+DW):
burgerbecky said:
I'm making an updated version called "Dragon Wars: Remastered" where the code came from the unreleased Windows version, art is from the IIgs, the music and sound is redone by 8 Bit Weapon and background art redrawn by Jennell Jaquays. It will be a native app for Mac, Linux and Windows.

If I can cut a deal, I'll do the same for the Bard's Tale Trilogy.

Skippy

Literate
Just found the following post in the Dragon Wars subforum over at GOG. Pretty interesting if true (posted here because of relevance to BT+DW):
burgerbecky said:
I'm making an updated version called "Dragon Wars: Remastered" where the code came from the unreleased Windows version, art is from the IIgs, the music and sound is redone by 8 Bit Weapon and background art redrawn by Jennell Jaquays. It will be a native app for Mac, Linux and Windows.

This may be some of the best news I have read all day. I have often dreamed of an updated, HD remastered version of these games. I really, REALLY, hope this comes true!

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
burgerbecky said:

I hope she'll answer this question from the same thread:

Also, one thing I have been wondering for a while; why did the DOS (and apparently Amiga as well) turn out so buggy? Was the release rushed or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be some of the best news I have read all day. I have often dreamed of an updated, HD remastered version of these games. I really, REALLY, hope this comes true!
I wouldn't get my hopes up too much just yet, since the rights to the Bard's Tale series are still with Fargo and Heinemann seems to be in a bit of a drama queen mood re. Bard's Tale IV, which might make negotiations between them a bit difficult.

The Dragon Wars remaster, on the other hand, seems like a rather safe bet - can't imagine Herve saying no to further milking one of his IPs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
the rights to the Bard's Tale series are still with Fargo

I *believe* EA still owns the IP rights to The Bard's Tale series (I don't recall Fargo buying them from EA). Also the trademark "The Bard's Tale" is also currently owned by EA (I just checked the Trademark website).

I see, thanks for the correction.

Then let's hope our dear Hamburglarette will manage to work out a deal with EA. Would certainly be nice to have a hassle free, definitive release of the BT trilogy (even though the DOS trilogy is much more playable nowadays, thanks to fan patches)

dragonbait

Augur

burgerbecky said:

Dragon Wars: Remastered would be really great! I've seen the Bard's Tale 4 videos and screenshots that have been made available so far, and while they seem really fantastic, I wonder about how much computer processing power its going to take to play BT4 without it getting all slow and choppy. I don't really care about having a photo-realistic Bard's Tale 4 experience. I just want something similar to the gameplay of the old Bard's Tale or Dragon Wars games to mess around with.

The Dragon Wars: Remastered, sounds like something I would be much more interested in and would definitely be willing to purchase a remastered Dragon Wars.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Dragon Wars: Remastered, sounds like something I would be much more interested in and would definitely be willing to purchase a remastered Dragon Wars.

A The Dragon Wars: Remastered would require Herve to actually SPEND money. So that is never going to happen... (unless he suckers som Dev Studio to do a Kickstarter for it....).

Also of note (To Mr. Fargo) No one currently owns the Trademark to Dragon Wars™ :M

Interplay of course still owns the IP rights to it though.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
If she could, while she's at it, also make the paragraphs into in-game text and add an option for making annotations on the automap, that'd be a D1P.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
At the United States Patent and Trademark Office webpage it is still listed as EA as the owner of The Bard's Tale (they renewed it in 2008).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...oldreviews/14179-Good-Old-Reviews-Dragon-Wars

Dragon Wars - Unleash the Dragon

One thing that I'm really interested in (especially after writing up the history of a whole bunch of them) is old school CRPGs. A lot of my curiosity comes from the fact that I haven't really played many of them. Setting aside the fact that I was born at the tail end of the genre's golden age, I just never had much interest in them when I was younger. After all, why would I waste when my PC time playing RPGs when I already had Final Fantasy on consoles? (Remind me to kick my 15 year old self.)

It makes me sad because, the more I learn about them, the more fascinating I find them and the era that produced them. It was a pioneering time where developers were striving not just to make products, but to adapt complex worlds and rules into gaming experiences unlike anything ever made before. The ambition of that period alone is something that I find to be inspiring.

The problem with these games, especially when you only have a few weeks to play and review them, is that they tend to be exceptionally long. Reviewing Ultima IV, for instance, took me months. I started playing the game a bit everyday back in September 2013 (when Good Old Reviews started running) and didn't feel comfortable writing about it until December of that same year. Touching on games that expansive on a regular basis is something that would be really difficult. That being said, I've had a hankering to jump back into one for awhile now and GOG's re-release of Dragon Wars seemed like a decent opportunity to do so.

Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Dragon Wars before seeing its release announcement. I have a huge soft spot for pulpy fantasy artwork however and seeing its box art immediately made me want to give it a try. As most gamers probably know, however, box art does not a great game make. I had no idea if the experience I was getting into was one that'd be worthwhile.

Luckily, Dragon Wars wound up being a fun and, in places, impressive RPG. Dropping the player into the world of Dilmun where magic has been outlawed, it begins with the player party being placed under arrest under suspicions of spell casting. Thrown into the prison slum of Purgatory, the player has to find a way to escape, bring peace to the land, and defeat the evil wizard Namtar. The story itself is pretty basic as far as fantasy titles go. You're the good guys and there's a baddie. Go forth and smite. That said, it's well-written and the text does a great job of illustrating the game's world where technical limitations prevented the graphics from doing so.

I suppose that some might be a bit turned off by the fact that most of said text actually isn't in the game, but I rather enjoyed reading the story paragraphs contained in the game's manual. I got excited every time the words "Read Paragraph (Insert Number)" would appear on screen and, honestly, it was kind of nice to have the text be separate from the game. I sometimes have a tendency to skim and click through text when it appears on the screen. Having to read it in an actual document (though I would prefer a physical book to a PDF), ultimately made it easier for me to break out of my bad gamer habits and give the text the attention it deserved.

The gameplay is similarly good, if perhaps a bit more weighed down in parts by its archaic bits. Made by the same designers who worked on The Bard's Tale series, Dragon Wars should feel familiar to anyone who spent any amount of time with the great old school dungeon crawlers. You're given a party of warriors whom you control from a first person perspective. You direct them around maps containing random enemy and fixed story encounters which you must resolve in combat or with your party's skills. Battles are turn-based and controlled via the keyboard, though there are some fairly redundant mouse control options available.

What perhaps sets Dragon Wars apart from other RPGs of this era is just how much effort has gone into giving you choices as to how you proceed and complete the game. Take the opening section where you have to get out of Purgatory. Rather than forcing you into one set method of escape, the game gives you five completely different paths out of the slum that range from selling yourself into slavery to disguising your party as dead bodies to get tossed into the sea. The game, overall, does a great job of giving you moments where there's more than one solution to your problems.

This openness bleeds over into the character progression where you're given a lot of leeway concerning how your party develops. There aren't any formal classes in Dragon Wars. Every character is free to learn whatever skills and proficiencies you desire, with many being completely unrelated to combat. Better yet, those non-combat skills are actually integrated into the game in ways that make them feel worthwhile. It is intensely satisfying, for instance, to stumble across an injured soldier and realize that you're equipped to help him because you had your front-line fighter invest a point in Bandage at the game's outset. There are a few skills that wind up feeling kind of useless, but most are implemented well.

Unfortunately, the game's openness can, at times, also bite you in the butt, especially when it comes to where it lets you go and when. After you escape from Purgatory, you're free to roam and explore the game world as you please. As nice as that is, it also makes it possible to go to places you're not prepared for and even get stuck in them. Add in the fact that you only have one save slot to record your progress and you have a recipe for some intensely frustrating disasters. I had to restart my game at one point because I somehow managed to get stuck between a pair of goblin war bands that spawned at fixed points. I tried backtracking, I tried looking for different routes; none of it did me any good. I couldn't find my way out and every time I tried to fight through the goblins, they'd kill me handily.

"But Stew," you say. "Why not just level up until you're strong enough to take them on?" I thought of that too, but found myself halted by some of Dragon Wars other problems. While I liked overall how the game handled leveling, I was disappointed with how small the rewards were for doing so. Every time you ascend a level, regardless of how far you are into the game, you're given a mere two skill points to improve your stats. On the one hand, I do like that it restricts you enough to keep the combat challenging. You never feel like you're a party of demigods who can slaughter their foes with a look. The thing is, two skill points often just isn't enough to make meaningful progress and the combat can sometimes be a bit too brutal as a result.

Level grinding can also be an outright hazard thanks to the sparse nature of items and magic in the game, especially during its opening hours. Even after you gain access to magic, its use is limited by a finite supply of mana that can only be recharged by special items or at spots in the game world. Items, likewise, can be hard to come by thanks to the fact that only human enemies drop money and, even then, in small amounts. It's very easy, in turn, to find yourself in the middle of a tough area with your party injured, but lacking any means of getting back the magic points you need to cast healing spells.

To be fair, the game does balance this out in some ways. In addition to their health, each character in the player party also has a "stun" bar that serves as a second layer of recharging HP. If it's drained, they'll be knocked unconscious, taking them out of the fight without permanently killing them. The stun mechanic won't stop your characters from dying, however, and Odin help you if that happens because there's no greater hassle in Dragon Wars than having to revive a fallen companion. There are only a few places in the game world where you can do it and, most of the time, you'll be better off just reloading your game than going through the ordeal of soliciting a resurrection.

There are other small issues, too. The process of casting spells ("press C, select character, choose spell type, choose spell, repeat) can be cumbersome. The automap feature, while welcome, can also be limited in its usefulness thanks to the fact that it doesn't mark special locations or give you options to make manual notes. Even with these inconveniences however, the greater whole of Dragon Wars is still well worth playing. This isn't just a game with cool box art. It's an RPG that you should play.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck, if you leave map - all "opened" cashes are destroyed!
Just lost a lot of weapons and quest item under Tar's ruins. Time to restore backup...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Ha! Another inconsistency similar to Mog's will (though the latter could be clerical error. Fucking Lansk).
You can kill Princess Myrolla in ruined tower only to find her alive in the dungeon.

What a fine game is Dragon Wars! My personal GOTY and 10/10, would bang again.

EDIT:
Apparently, there are two kinds of magic shields with same names. +4 and +3 AC.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Just found a super duper secret chest inside walls of Byzanople that contains Fire Shield. The only shield in the game that apparently can't be used with a two-handed weapon. Meh.
MOAR leik BUG WARZ AM I RITE?
It's not even a real nasty bugs, just a little thingies here and there. Nothing like constant crashes of PtD.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You can kill Princess Myrolla in ruined tower only to find her alive in the dungeon.
Silly me! It's two princesses, twins. Myrilla above and Myrolla below.
Just found their portrait in old castle.
Also haxx0red my way into that magically locked room in Byzanople dungeon and it's empty.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Gatlin Bow with a Magic Quiver is complete overkill. 30-70 points of damage every round at 20' without spending a single arrow.

Mage Light from that magic lamp is bugged and don't expire.

Beasts summoned from the horn found in Mystic Woods are, apparently, permanent too, and can be used as dead "mule" characters to carry all these dragon stones.

Also I'm pretty impressed that many "sidequests" have a several solutions.
For example, old druid in Snaketown teaches Beast Call not only after giving him branches, but by using druid magic skill as well.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Still, after a week, I try to kill Namtar. His first death is dealt by dragon, second is easy, but third, when he starts to attack from the range, is very, very hard. But when I killed him third time, he resurrected again!
Need to loot remaining caches with good armor (they have a lot of dragon stones, so I avoided it until now) and raise some skills.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It's been years since I played Dragon Wars (in 1989) but I had do something very specific to kill Namtar else he would keep resurrecting. Yes, it's a bit of a puzzle.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck Namtar, said I, and started to goofing around.

Behold, Dragon Wars' Ultimate Spell List
For fourth character
File data1, offset 3462 (Lesser to High Magic), from 7 bit to 0 bit:
Mage Fire, Disarm, Charm, Luck, Lesser Heal, Mage Light, Elvar's Fire, Fire Light
3463 (High Magic):
Poog's Vortex, Ice Chill, Big Chill, Dazzle, Mystic Might, Reveal Glamour, Sala's Swift, Vorn's Guard
3464 (High Magic):
Cowardice, Healing, Group Heal, Cloak Arcane, Sense Traps, Air Summon, Earth Summon, Water Summon
3465 (High to Druid Magic):
Fire Summon, Death Curse, Fire Blast, Insect Plague, Whirl Wind, Scare, Brambles, Greater Healing
3466 (Druid to Sun Magic):
Cure All, Create Wall, Soften Stone, Invoke Spirit, Beast Call, Wood Spirit, Sun Stroke, Exorcism
3467 (Sun Magic):
Rage of Mithras, Wrath of Mithras, Fire Storm, Inferno, Holy Aim, Battle Power, Column of Fire, Mithras' Bless
3468 (Sun Magic):
Light Flash, Armor of Light, Sun Light, Heal, Major Healing, Disarm Trap, Guidance, Radiance
3469 (Sun to Miscellaneous):
Summon Salamander, Charger, Zak's Speed, Kill Ray, Prison

I haven't found Wrath of Mithras, Heal and Prison in the game, but they definitely work!
Wrath of Mithras damages, Heal cures and Prison stops enemies in their position.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You need to kill Namtar several time. I don't recall it being that difficult, just a bit tedious. I used the default party, did not grind, and skipped the whole Preserve area, and most of the final area.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You need to kill Namtar several time. I don't recall it being that difficult, just a bit tedious. I used the default party, did not grind, and skipped the whole Preserve area, and most of the final area.
I'm pretty sure that third time is a charm, but these Namtar's breaths are killing my characters pretty fast even with constant healing. Probably need to take Dragon Teeth with their 50' range and hack him to the death.
Preserve is almost empty area with only two interesting places.
I have found both Namtar's cronies in final dungeon.

TigerKnee

Arcane
:necro:
ANIMATE THE DEAD

Do Daggers use the Sword skill for calculation?

How the hell was I supposed to jump out from the supposed gap in the east walls of Purgatory? I couldn't figure out a way to do it so I ended up using the SW secret passage instead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom