Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Vorark

Erudite
Steam page, pre-order is live:

Lol @ the price, more expensive than even FFXV. I just remembered it's probably gonna be saddled with Denuvo too. Crap, I didn't get the Dragon Ball fighting game nor FF XII because of this shit.

DQ 6 is a no-brainer though since it was on SNES. DS remake graphics are barely an upgrade over the SNES version combined with decreased difficulty and missing party chat the conclusion = SNES version all the way.

Party chat was cut in DQ IV DS. Both V and VI DS remakes have it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Vorark

Thats a big deal then. I still say 5 on PS2 for the _considerable_ graphics and soundtrack upgrade along with retained original difficulty...

...but for DQ 6 since NDS version has party chat the only remaining variable is whether or not you feel like grinding a bit more or a bit less. Oh and the upgraded script of course.

I guess 4 and 6 on NDS and 5 on PS2 for me.

Vorark

Erudite
Yeah, I heard good things about V on the PS2, have yet to play it.

What got gutted in DQ VI DS was monster recruitment. I think you can only add slimes to your party now and one special monster. Isn't a big deal, imo, it's nowhere near as useful as it was in V. So if you never played VI, just pick the DS version.

Viata

Arcane
Great news.
Recently, I finished DQ7 on 3DS and I believe it was easier than on PS1. It also had a lot of changes, from names to removing over-world. It has a gps to find fragments, which, imo, kinda made the game quite easier(it's one of those things you don't know if it's good or bad, because searching for fragments was not that much fun on PS1, most of the time). Changing classes now removes the overpowered skills, which I find it bad, because now there is no incentive to master all classes.
The best change was that I don't have to run across four separed rooms in order to put stone fragments, I have a weird imp and a simple menu for doing that in the Shrine of Mysteries.
And, I think, the wost change: Haven. PS1 had multiple town types one could grow that would change depending on the types of villagers you recruit. Now it's just the same, regardless of who moves in.
Overall, it's still a lovely game and worth to play for everyone that loves DQ. The graphics is eyecandy, obviously.

Now I'm finishing SMT IV Final(I think this is probably the easiest MegaTen I have ever played[ignoring spamming charm bullets on SMT 1]) and then I'll play DQ8 on 3DS. That game has my favorite OST and I really hope they didn't fuck it up on 3DS. After that it will be 9(again) and then 11 on 3DS. I hope I have finished all these games before DQ11 is released on STEAM.

- for eample in DQ4 NDS version they made Alenna speak in Russian dialect (its still english but written as if it was russian phonetically).
This is quite normal in recent versions of DQ. 7 on 3DS also has this when you visit different towns/villages. I believe it's the way they decided to show different cultures in the game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Viata

Yes you can find me railing and raging against all the dumbing down in the DQ7 remake in one of the other DQ threads in this sub-forum.

In the end I ended up giving the game a try on 3DS and the upgraded polygonal graphics are really something and certainly are a big boon in its favor but... it is without a doubt a much inferior game in comparison to the original PS1 release.

For someone whos never played DQ7 before and who would be easily put off by difficulty or tediousness (or PS1 sprites) then I would say sure go for DQ7 3DS but for a serious JRPG player there is no other choice than the PS1 version. (Specifically I mean mechanically and gameplay-wise though it is also much less tedious and much less repetitious).

I think DQ7 on PS1 is probably my all-time favorite JRPG in terms of making me actually feel like I just participated in something meaningful and full of artistry.

(Obviously aside from Earthbound which is indisputably the best JRPG ever made).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Viata

I didnt finish the 3DS version of DQ 7 (left it abandoned around halfway thru) so: does Maribel still have that classic line of...

Class changing is the opiate of the masses!

Fucking best line ever in a JRPG LOL

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
discoverscreen3_thumb.jpg

1474902887475.jpg

Oh Maribel!!!

The 3ds remake graphics are a HUGE incentive to play that version. They are really fucking charming. Game looks fucking FANTASTIC running CITRA emulator on upgraded internal resolutions.

Viata

Arcane
I think DQ7 on PS1 is probably my all-time favorite JRPG in terms of making me actually feel like I just participated in something meaningful and full of artistry.
Funny, that is DQ8 for me(although I don't think DQ8's plot is the best one, 7 and 5 has that for me).

This song always makes me feel like I'm really having a great adventure.

Vorark

Erudite
Didn't you guys notice any kind of lag when moving around the menus? Maybe it's my shitty 2ds... The lack of cursor memory was annoying too.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Funny, that is DQ8 for me(although I don't think DQ8's plot is the best one, 7 and 5 has that for me).

This song always makes me feel like I'm really having a great adventure.

God damnit.

I am currently playing DQ8 on 3DS and i actually was content with the midi soundtrack. I even found it somewhat charming.

But now you made me listen to the Orchestra version and now i hate Square Enix for butchering it like this...

Why the fuck did they even do it? The japanese version has the original orchestral soundtrack. Goddamn fucking japs...

Here is the midi version in comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxnp-XH34ho

Having played the SNES original I much preferred having 4 people in my party and more balanced job/skill selection in the DS version. It *is* quite a bit easier as a result though so I guess if you're really a stickler for that sort of thing play the SNES/PS2 game.

I have less and less patience for grinding so I just see the remake as not wasting my time as much.

The problem with the DS games AFAIK (only played through 5) is that even without grinding you wont get any challenge in the game. It really is way too easy. I personally solve the problem of too low difficulty in DQ games by restricting myself from using certain gear. My current playthrough of Dragon Quest 8 is a "no hats allowed" playthrough. It took the game about 15 hours to apply some challenge to the gameplay even though:lol: but now its pretty fun.

I still dont know how to judge the new encounter system in which monsters are visible on the map and aggro on you if you get too close to them. It removes alot of tedious random trashmob fighting from the gameplay but i feel like you can avoid too many enemies as their aggro range really is too low most of the time.

Viata

Yes you can find me railing and raging against all the dumbing down in the DQ7 remake in one of the other DQ threads in this sub-forum.

In the end I ended up giving the game a try on 3DS and the upgraded polygonal graphics are really something and certainly are a big boon in its favor but... it is without a doubt a much inferior game in comparison to the original PS1 release.

I would be interested in reading that ragepost, but buddy you have quite a few Dragon Quest related posts on this subforum :D Can you give me some additional hints?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
its in The Dragon Quest Thread though it isnt anything other than me mentioning how it has tons of cut content and dumbed down difficulty really and gutted puzzles and class changing system and all that.

However in the same thread there is other more interesting talk about the series (and about DQ 7s strengths) as well.

Viata

Arcane
Here is the midi version in comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxnp-XH34ho
That game has my favorite OST and I really hope they didn't fuck it up on 3DS

Why can't we have good things? :negative:

The japanese version has the original orchestra soundtrack
Oh yeah, I remember when I downloaded 8 for 3ds, they had the orchestral version too. I believe I donwloaded the Orchestra & Uncensored version.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Doktor Best

you can download a 3DS ROM of the Western release (ie English lang) with a patched-in orchestral OST files.

Download a CIA version of the OST-patched 3DS game and play it on your physical 3DS handheld

or download a decrypted + OST-patch 3DS rom and play it on CITRA

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I assume the 3DS version of DQ 8 is the de-facto best version of DQ 8 due to the new party members and new quests right/

I played the PS2 version when it released on PS2 and dont really remember much and am hankering for some DQ goodness on this long wait til September so gonna go ahead and play the 3DS version.

The only DQ stuff I havent played is:

- Have never played DQ 2 (any version)

- Have never played any of the DQ MONSTERS series games

- Have never played any of the Torneko Mystery Dungeon gaiden games

- Have never played the DQ Heroes hack and slashers

EDIT: Fuck it Im gonna man up and play DQ 2 just so I can say Ive played all the series entries.

Okagron

Prophet
I'm conflicted between the Midi OST of DQ8 3DS and the orchestral OST. To me, some themes sound much better in orchestral but others sound somewhat better in Midi.

Still, don't know why they didn't just kept the orchestral OST in the international release.

Viata

Arcane
- Have never played DQ 2 (any version)
It was a good game when I played as a kid and finally finished it as a teenager. But nope, I have 0 wish to replay this game again. This, unlike DQ1, is not good enough to replay again. Although I love how open this game is compared to any (non-obscure) rpg released on NES.

- Have never played any of the DQ MONSTERS series games
I played 1 and 2. I liked them. But I'm a DQ fanboy.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'd say that Dragon Quest 2 stands out as one of the best Ultima-inspired exploration/puzzle RPGs I've played. Large quest in an open world with many things to do often requiring some NPC indication or finding some hidden place and so on.

And, very important point, this is served with decent combat and equipment systems and overall decent dungeon crawling, there are probably other games with decent Ultima gameplay I haven't played or stopped early due to bad combat or not rewarding exploration or other related things.

I think, and I may be wrong, that they aren't tons of such games, and I really wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't like puzzles, but I played it just recently and to me it was a very pleasant surprise since I tend to look for such games.

Suicidal

Arcane
So since this is coming to PC, can someone sell me on this game?

I've never played any DQ games before and my only experience with the series is watching some guy on twitch stream it for a bit and from what I've seen it seemed incredibly basic. Combat consisted of just using damaging the enemies, I didn't see any character customization (people were just getting stat increases and new skills on level ups automatically) and the game seamed really easy (the streamer never died and killed the dungeon boss without much struggle)

I don't know which game exactly that was but it was in 3D and the boss he was fighting was some humanoid demon.

So are there any strengths to this game apart from the combat? Or is the combat actually good but the guy was playing on easy mode or something?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sell you on this game//

Just find the Dragon Quest Series Thread on this sub-forum there is endless gushing about past DQs

otherwise what eactly do you even want people to say OMG OMG U GOTTA PLAY DIS GAME IS SO GOOD MMM MMM

play whatever you want nigga

Vorark

Erudite
Still, don't know why they didn't just kept the orchestral OST in the international release.

Probably Sugiyama shenanigans.

So since this is coming to PC, can someone sell me on this game?

See it for yourself: emulate one of the older games. I'd recommend either DQ III (the SNES version), DQ V (either DS or PS2 versions) or VIII (PS2 and 3DS; there's a mobile port but I'm not sure if it's any good).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom