Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the dioramas are amazing as well fucking beautiful. this other video has more footage of the dioramas with a side picture of the in-game area (starting at around 1:30):

Vorark

Erudite
Edit: LOL, completely skipped LESS T_T post.

FUCK DQ XI ON PC, HYPE! :dance:

In case anyone wants to read my original post, it was a copy/paste from Gematsu.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page, pre-order is live:

PRE-PURCHASE OFFER
Pre-Purchase the digital version of DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age to receive:
  • Exclusive Wallpaper Set - Steam exclusive wallpapers featuring a range of vivid artwork.
  • Seed of Skill x 15 - A nifty nut that confers an extra skill point upon anyone who eats it. Consumed upon use.
  • Wings of Serendipity - Wear this round your neck to bring rare forms of regular monsters running from all around!

ABOUT THIS GAME
Overview
DRAGON QUEST® XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age™ tells a captivating tale of a hunted hero and is the long-awaited role-playing game from series creator Yuji Horii, character designer Akira Toriyama and composer Koichi Sugiyama. While it is the eleventh mainline entry in the critically acclaimed series, DRAGON QUEST XI is a completely standalone experience that features entirely new characters, a beautifully detailed world, finely tuned turn-based combat, and an immersive story that will appeal to longtime fans and franchise newcomers alike. After its release in Japan, DRAGON QUEST XI won multiple gaming awards and received critical praise, including PlayStation’s Platinum Prize and a perfect 40/40 score from Famitsu (an influential video game publication in Japan).

Story
A young man, about to participate in his village’s coming of age ceremony, travels to a Sacred Stone alongside his childhood friend. After a series of unexpected events, this intrepid adventurer learns he is the reincarnation of a legendary hero from a forgotten age.

The young hero sets forth into an unknown world on a journey to unravel the mystery of his past… but the welcome he receives is far from warm. Upon revealing his identity to the King, the hero is branded as “The Darkspawn” and hunted by a relentless army.

Fleeing from his pursuers, the hero assembles a band of endearing adventurers who believe he is actually The Luminary reborn. The hero and his newfound companions embark on a quest that will take them across continents and over vast oceans as they learn of an ominous threat facing the world.

KEY FEATURES
  • Unravel an Epic Mystery in a Riveting Tale – DRAGON QUEST XI tells the tale of a hunted hero: denigrated as a demon and pursued by a malicious monarch, you must embark on a quest to unravel the mystery of your fate and save a doomed world. At the heart of the game is an immersive story with twists and turns that pull you in and keep you craving more – from the opening cutscene to the final credits!
  • Assemble a Colorful Cast of Loyal Companions – Accompanying the hero on his quest is an endearing band of adventurers with their own rich backstories and personalities as diverse as their designs. Once again, famed manga artist Akira Toriyama brings the characters of DRAGON QUEST to life with his delightful, one-of-a-kind style.
  • Explore a Beautiful, Living World – DRAGON QUEST XI brings a massive, gorgeous world to life in a style that blends stylistic cel-shading with photorealistic detail. Excitement lurks around every corner as players explore populous cities, quaint villages, magnificent castles, and dark dungeons. NPC’s attend to their daily schedules, monsters change behaviors to fit their environments, and players can access new areas with the use of monstrous vehicles.
  • Engage in Classic Battles with a Modern Twist – DRAGON QUEST XI’s turn-based battle system eases players into combat with an accessible experience that features mechanics simple enough for the novice but with enough depth to satisfy hardcore fans.
  • Have Some Fun & Save the World – In addition to its captivating narrative, DRAGON QUEST XI features tons of side-quests and addicting mini-games that provide enough content to keep you playing for well over 100 hours. You will face insurmountable odds and an evil force of unimaginable power… but while the stakes are high, there are many fun distractions to find if you know where to look.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wow it just seems like all roads lead to PC gaming nowadays.

:dance:

I feel the opposite. Most of the games worth playing on the PC are just console ports. PC isn't getting many exclusives, and even less that I'd care about. Still, this is nice if you're a person who doesn't own a console.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Wow it just seems like all roads lead to PC gaming nowadays.

:dance:

I feel the opposite. Most of the games worth playing on the PC are just console ports. PC isn't getting many exclusives, and even less that I'd care about. Still, this is nice if you're a person who doesn't own a console.

This is true but at the same time consoles are just becoming PCs with controllers. Everything is converging.

Calling it now: In the future Sony will release a Windows platform like Steam to play PS4 games.

Hyperion

Arcane
Seed of Skill x 15 - A nifty nut that confers an extra skill point upon anyone who eats it. Consumed upon use.

I'm not 100% sure if the skill system is going to follow the footsteps of 8 and 9, but this seems like an incredibly excessive, even unfair, pre-order bonus. I get you want pre-order sales, but...Jesus.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Great Deceiver

that video sucked balls so I deleted the post. Here is just footage of a fight:

TLDR: Game seems to be classic Turn-Based and the moving around is completely cosmetic.

Jinn

Arcane
Oh my fuck, what excellent news! I was pretty sure it would come to PC eventually, but I had figured it be a couple years down the line.

EDIT: Ok, now I'm in the mood for some Dragon Quest, and I'm thinking of playing V. Should I play it on Super Famicom or PS2 remake? I generally prefer sprite work to 3d, but what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh my fuck, what excellent news! I was pretty sure it would come to PC eventually, but I had figured it be a couple years down the line.

EDIT: Ok, now I'm in the mood for some Dragon Quest, and I'm thinking of playing V. Should I play it on Super Famicom or PS2 remake? I generally prefer sprite work to 3d, but what do you guys think?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PS2 REMAKE

ds remake has decreased difficulty.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jinn

ps2 version retains 1:1 content of snes version of DQ 5 (including difficulty) and only updates the graphics AND IT HAS THE PARTY CHAT.. There is no reason to play the DS version.

DQ 4 and DQ 6 versions are a tougher choice though...

For DQ 4 I would say its a toss up between NES version and DS version:

- DQ 4 NES has normal difficulty but (obviously) NES graphics BUT it has party chat
- DQ 4 NDS has dumbed down difficulty (all battles can be won by just using Auto-Battle option including bosses) BUT it has upgraded graphics... but NO PARTY CHAT.

For DQ 6 play SNES version (the original). DS version has dumbed down difficulty and no party chat either and graphics upgrade is negligble compared to SNES version so there is no reason to play the DS version.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PS2 REMAKE

ds remake has decreased difficulty.

Does the PS2 version allow a 4-person party tho?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Grampy_Bone

everything is same as in the SNES version. Only the graphics are and music are upgraded. It also retains the party chat which is missing from the DS version.

The soundtrack of DQ 5 in orchestra upgrade in ps2 version is beautiful as well as you can hear for yourself in the videos above.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DQ 4 is a tough one:

Normally the decreased difficulty and missing party chat would be enough to make the NES original the de-facto and only reasonable choice... but lets face it: the DS version re-translated script is superior and upgraded graphics are always good (and upgraded OST as well).

DQ 6 is a no-brainer though since it was on SNES. DS remake graphics are barely an upgrade over the SNES version combined with decreased difficulty and missing party chat the conclusion = SNES version all the way.

DQ 5 is the outlier in that its the only one of this trilogy which has a PS2 remake that retains all of the content from its NES version including the difficulty making it the logical choice.

EDIT: BUT YOU KNOW WHAT... FRANKLY SPEAKING _ANY_ VERSION OF _ANY_ DQ IS A GUARANTEED GOOD GAMING EPERIENCE. THE ACCESIBILITY AND RE-TRANSLATED SCRIPTS OF THE NINTENDO DS REMAKES OF THIS TRILOGY (4-6) GIVE THE GAMES NEW LIFE AND CHARM AND EVEN THOUGH THEY WILL BE EASY TO BEAT THEY WILL STILL BE UNFORGETTABLE ANYWAYS.

The re-translated scripts of the NDS remakes are indeed a significant reason to play 4-6 on NDS as they are brilliant localizations that make the original scripts feel lackluster by comparison.

Up to you really but keep in mind the NDS remakes are _easy_.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Having played the SNES original I much preferred having 4 people in my party and more balanced job/skill selection in the DS version. It *is* quite a bit easier as a result though so I guess if you're really a stickler for that sort of thing play the SNES/PS2 game.

I have less and less patience for grinding so I just see the remake as not wasting my time as much.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I still think:

4 on NDS
5 on PS2
6 on SNES

thats probably the best of all worlds but thats my opinion and like I said youre gonna have a good time regardless of version.

By the way if youre curious about the retranslated scripts the main thing they added was give each region in each world a consistent dialect and speech pattern reflected in the writing:

- for eample in DQ4 NDS version they made Alenna speak in Russian dialect (its still english but written as if it was russian phonetically).

And this may sound bad on paper but in-game it adds a lot of charm and personality that isnt on the NES version of DQ4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom