Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Dragon Age: In the End It Doesn't Even Matter

Viata

Arcane
So, at what point your mind just ignore all this shit and you just keep playing for the sake of doing some LP so people can shit on this game? I wonder if your mind will be the same after this, RK47.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Huh. The game is getting better. At least I don't find myself trying to rewind through the excruciatingly boring parts.

Though that may have something to do with the lack of combat and pointless running around in the last two videos. I wonder how much was edited out of them. Serious question.

I have noticed you are enjoying the video now, and decided to return to Hinterlands where it's even MORE FUN.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Epitome of a bad game in pretty clothing. And even that is over the top and clicheé.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have noticed you are enjoying the video now, and decided to return to Hinterlands where it's even MORE FUN.
Now, now, no need to go all Sawyer on me. :lol:

I have watched it, and I have to say that combat does not look incomprehensible anymore when you pause. It is still a clusterfuck, but a somewhat controllable one. I can at the very least make sense of where the enemies are and what the allies are doing, unlike in that 'final nail' vid.

There are still too many AWESUM effects obscuring the view and making it hard to understand what is happening, and as far as I've seen, there is no tactical component at all.

The hook weapon looks like a godsend to minimize annoyance with enemies teleporting around and navigate the battlefield full of exploding awesomeness. It lets you get close and personal right away and start clawing at their HP instead of running after them through the whole area, speeding the combat greatly. A few weapons like these, and who knows, it might just become tolerable. :)

What spells do your companions have? Do you have any input on what they cast in combat?

BTW, what is the song that starts playing at 8:34 (15th vid)?

RK47

Patron
You can't really control multiple party members unless you swap chars in between.
I don't really see the need to do so when facing trash mobs.
There's just no sense of 'accomplishment' in trash fights. So you drank a couple of potions - so what? You fast travel to a camp and get all 8 potions back.

Nevill

Arcane
You can't really control multiple party members unless you swap chars in between.
Not even in a 'tactical' mode?

So you drank a couple of potions - so what? You fast travel to a camp and get all 8 potions back.
Well, the same could be said about IE games. You used a couple of spells, you can get them all on rest, etc etc.

The enjoyment comes from trying to get through the game's challenges without resorting to that sort of behavior. I mean, in what kind of story the (good-aligned) party sleeps after every fight with a goblin while the princess is languishing in the dragon's paws (or whatever your current heroic quest is)? The best battles in IWD were fought when I ran out of resourses and had to use an odd potion and scrolls I previously thought useless to get through the last encounters in a dungeon.

It may be a self-imposed restriction, but it was the way the story was meant to be told and the game meant to be played, so I did not mind.

Can't say anything about how DA:I handles this, since I never played it (and likely won't play it in the future, either), but I don't find being able to run back and forth to heal a good argument against the meaningfulness of combat. It exists as a crutch, and should be treated as such.

RK47

Patron
Not even in a 'tactical' mode?

Doing that in tactical mode would lead to:
0. Pause
1. Select party member.
2. Camera focus goes to that party member.
3. Select Target. (If target is a few paces away, scroll camera with WSAD)
4. Select Skill to activate.
5. Unpause.

If you want to coordinate two-three party members, have fun watching the camera re-center to your members and moving the camera back to the enemy you want them to hit.

Well, the same could be said about IE games. You used a couple of spells, you can get them all on rest, etc etc.
Try resting in dungeon and getting jumped by random mobs in TOEE?
Try traveling back to town to rest and get jumped by random encounters?
In this game, mobs can't really ambush you and fuck you over, unless it's the USS Enterprise beaming down an away team on your ass while you were picking Elfroot No.4727. You just make sure one survive and walk back to camp. With a rogue this is even easier since popping stealth clears aggro.

You can argue resource management all you want, but all I see is a pointless speedbump that is neither challenging nor engaging cause the combat is ass. Good luck figuring out what moves the enemy pulled cause there's no combat log. I had to self learn what the hell those symbols on the floor mean and what actually made me fell over, take cold damage etc. I didn't even notice the mages teleport in real time cause it happened so fast and multiple special FX are firing off, obscuring view.

If people still dare to defend the combat in this state then I have no other way to convince them why I hated the overall package of this 'open exploration' that is covered with shit definition of combat.
Why am I angry with the exploration being touted as a good thing?
It's because you encounter more and more shit combat instead of interesting stuff.
And with the fucking loot being randomized between random junk and 'above average shit' loot , the incentive to explore to kill and gather generic resource to grind out better weapons from schematics is a bad concept of 'adventuring'.

Random loot is in the game. Remember that chest with shitty junk loot? I had that experience once and had to reload the game due to crash. Reopened the chest and instead of junk I found 2 pieces of equipment.

What the fuck? Why? You focused so much on the lore of the game in writing and countless 50 EXP books that I gave little shit about but put very little concern when rewarding player after slogging through your shit-tactical combat? Why not add a goddamn token after quest completion to exchange a unique weapon that could fit different classes. A staff for a mage. A sword for the warrior. Or a dagger for the rogue.

Holy fuck. I knew a MMO that did that almost a decade ago. It had over 4 million subs at some point.
Wow. SO Revolutionary.

Mark Darrah: It doesn't make it easier to take all the time but you have to be open, you have to be willing to at least listen. The problem is that people don't always know what they actually want, Henry Ford said that if you asked people what they wanted they would say a faster horse. I think that is true to a certain degree so you need to hear and incorporate it but not be enslaved by it.

YOU FUCKING MORONS.
WAKE THE FUCK UP AND STOP LICKING UBISOFTS ASS AND SWALLOWING THEIR SHIT, CALLING IT GOLD AND SMELLING ITS FART CALLING IT ROSES.

:rage:

FUCKING CLOWNSHOES OF NOTRE DAMNED.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I haven't been keeping an eye on Bioware's releases since Mass Effect 1. When did they start putting warning icons on the romance options?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
QCDoGjD.gif

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Hmm, I did Templar quest. Good to see there's some variety in the story. And I got different PC to my party.

Makes me wodner if I will have to deal with Alexious later on.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They've been torturing them for a year and haven't broken or killed them yet?

Those are some really shitty bad guys. If your companions had been hollow shells of former people(with a choice of mercykilling), that section might have been cool, and served to enforce how large a threat the BIG BAD is. Instead we get lolrandom evil red sparks and incompetent torturers.

RK47

Patron
AND THE WOMEN ARE STILL WEARING CLOTHESS CAUSE THEY'RE TOO UGLY I BET
YOU'RE A SICK, SICK MAN JAEDAR

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom