Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age: Inquisition Release Date & Launch Trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't I hear somewhere their cries about not having the creative freedom with licensed IPs and how it would be cool if they did their own thing.

Everybody thinks doing their own thing is cool. Just saying, that's not the same thing as not wanting to work with licenses if you can get them. Chris Avellone loves working in established settings. That's Obsidian's MO.

Seerix

Arbiter
I thought the only thing the DA2 was praised for was the low-key story. And they seemed to aim to develop it, but as for now it seems that the only thing they care is to save the world from another threat...

There was nothing "low-key" about DA2 story, it was blatant city take over gta style. Only loaded with modern american family cliches for dramatic moments. And fags. The only relatively good part is when that uncle character goes apeshit anti-mage on the whole world and you can confront him about it if you're a mage character yourself, he just gets really stuck and conflicted for a second. The only remotely realistic moment in the entire game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just noticed how it all looks like a generic D&D 4E world.

You got to wonder why Bioware and Obsidian wanted to move away from Dungeons & Dragons IP only to base their "original IPs" on D&D.
One would presume a D&D game would sell better than a "D&D inspired" game.
Who said Obsidian wanted to move away from D&D? The rights to making a D&D video game were a mess during the whole 4th edition and no one could do it.

For the most part they want their own IP so they can own control over it and keep all the money.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Judging by the armor design only, it's going to be the worst game ever.

I mean, look at this shit.

maxresdefault.jpg

I knew EA is trying hard to befriend the LGBT community for quite some time now, but fuck... Those look fabulous! It's obvious who's their core audience now. Don't know if that's a wise business decission though.
gN6DPOW.jpg

Xbalanque

Educated
I thought the only thing the DA2 was praised for was the low-key story. And they seemed to aim to develop it, but as for now it seems that the only thing they care is to save the world from another threat...

There was nothing "low-key" about DA2 story, it was blatant city take over gta style. Only loaded with modern american family cliches for dramatic moments. And fags. The only relatively good part is when that uncle character goes apeshit anti-mage on the whole world and you can confront him about it if you're a mage character yourself, he just gets really stuck and conflicted for a second. The only remotely realistic moment in the entire game.

There was, if you compare it to the first part it was a lot more low-key. Course, it wasn't the most low-key game in the list, but making the story less "saving the world from Blight" type of thing made it more interesting.

Delterius

Arcane

There was, if you compare it to the first part it was a lot more low-key.
First they fought off a Horde of monsters, then they were saved by a Dragon.

Angthoron

Arcane

Yeah, but then they had to secure a mortgage and live with a wacky uncle.

Cadmus

Arcane
I just watched the video expecting the same shit as DA2 and nothing more and I wasn't disappointed:

tasteless art direction with awful character style and bland dumb faces - check
shitty voice acting - check
shitty, low polygon models with fake shine on them to conceal their shitiness - check
bland music - check
obvious awesome button in combat - check

what I forgot to expect but should have:

fucking skyrim dragons
shit purple lightning effects
shitty over the shoulder camera instead of a proper TP camera
"awesome" actiony combat animations

it's going to be garbage, everybody!

Why can't they make faces that would look like human faces? It's been like this since kotor 1. Even the first witcher had people looking like they had some kind of a personality.
And the trailer was generally pretty bad as far as trailers go.

Delterius

Arcane

Yeah, but then they had to secure a mortgage and live with a wacky uncle.
Offscreen. After that they went back to solving grand cases of demonic posession and exploring ancient ruins filled with never seen before abominations of nature.

Xbalanque

Educated
Ok, still, it doesn't matter if DA2 was low-key or not. Whatever your opinion I still remember it being praised in numerous reviews for a more low-key story. Whether you agree with the reviewers doesn't change anything.

Tigranes

Arcane
Judging by the armor design only, it's going to be the worst game ever.

I mean, look at this shit.

maxresdefault.jpg

I knew EA is trying hard to befriend the LGBT community for quite some time now, but fuck... Those look fabulous! It's obvious who's their core audience now. Don't know if that's a wise business decission though.
gN6DPOW.jpg

That shit is by no means gay, gay people tend to have good fashion sense.

Delterius

Arcane
Ok, still, it doesn't matter if DA2 was low-key or not. Whatever your opinion I still remember it being praised in numerous reviews for a more low-key story. Whether you agree with the reviewers doesn't change anything.
DA2 was praised for telling a more personal story when compared to DA:O -- its not the hero that revolves around the issue, with the Grey Wardens questing to stop the Blight, but rather the issues that revolve around the hero. In DA2 the protagonist becomes the epicenter of certain worldwide conflicts, be it the impending Qunari holy war or the build up towards the Circle - Chantry wars and the Schism. Under the game's premise, everything that Hawke does concerns himself and his friends/family first and the rest of the world second. But the game goes out of its way to put the low key moments aside and resolve them offscreen. Even Act 1 had you explore ancient vaults of immeasurable treasure of a lost civilization. Hell, Baldur's Gate starts more low key than DA2 and that's the game where you are a demigod. DA2 wasn't a low key story nor did it have to be.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I just noticed how it all looks like a generic D&D 4E world.

You got to wonder why Bioware and Obsidian wanted to move away from Dungeons & Dragons IP only to base their "original IPs" on D&D.
One would presume a D&D game would sell better than a "D&D inspired" game.
Who said Obsidian wanted to move away from D&D? The rights to making a D&D video game were a mess during the whole 4th edition and no one could do it.

For the most part they want their own IP so they can own control over it and keep all the money.

I wonder if the "control over it" part might even be more important than the "keep all the money" part - maybe Bioware and to a lesser extent Obsidian just got sick of dealing with licensor BS. IIRC Dragon Age was announced around the time Bioware passed on KOTORII in part because of the short timeline demanded by LucasArts. Then they passed NWN2 over to Obsidian all within the space of about 1-2 years. Since Atari was pretty terrible at business generally, I'm guessing they were pain in the ass to work with even before the licensing situation went totally tits up. Passing on DnD and Star Wars licensed games in that short a time period is a pretty ballsy move, which makes me think there was more than just a royalties motivation.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Within every Bioware and Bethesda thread are a hundred Codexians pretending very loudly that they're not looking forward to said game, or clocking in hundreds of hours with said game, or secretly regarding it as their favorite of the year.

+M

I j-just want to k-know if it's really as s-shitty as they s-say...

He probably means the fact the story mostly takes part inside the city fighting local villains, compared to the continent-spanning crusade to save the world from DA1.

Delterius

Arcane
I j-just want to k-know if it's really as s-shitty as they s-say...

He probably means the fact the story mostly takes part inside the city fighting local villains, compared to the continent-spanning crusade to save the world from DA1.
Imagine that after your character sacked the resting place of the Ark of the Covenant for untold riches, Saladin and a Crusading army invaded Constantinople while a near defunct Roman Emperor tries to balance both forces; all while the unruly and dangerous creatures of the night face off against the local paranormal circle. Of course, you're so awesome that every single one of these characters want to use you. This is not low key guyz.

PS: Have I mentioned that Jesus personally helped you get to the City of World's Desire?

Yes, you are playing as the main character in a RPG so every important person will give you the time of the day, this is how it works. The only real low key RPG is Harvest Moon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom