Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age: Inquisition Release Date & Launch Trailer

PatataFamilia

Novice
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/22/d...ance-returning-characters-and-the-open-world/

Dragon Age 2, we decided we want to try something, to try to do very different storytelling, something much more personal, something much more tightly constrained. No chosen one, no clear overarching threat. I don’t think it was a perfect success, but that was intentional.

A lot of the other changes that are perceived, the overall scope of the game or the perception of the combat getting a lot simpler or waves and things like that—not intended, exactly. That was supposed to be more evolutionary. I think we just overreached. We pushed too hard.

Because of Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age: Inquisition is having to be a lot more ambitious, to address those concerns and really try to get back much more to the roots of the franchise. Much more about tactical combat and a higher level of deliberate difficulty. More clear overall story, with the moral choices still in there, but much more in vein of Dragon Age: Origins style storytelling. You’re right to ask. The goal wasn’t to revolutionize the series every single time, but Dragon Age 2 forced our hand to a certain degree.

Emphasis mine.

You have to breathe barracuda watermelon air and have antifreeze as your blood to believe this mollusk secretion for two seconds. I mean, am I not the only one who can hear the interviewee talking out of the right side of his mouth as he says this brain-dribbling, insulting revisionist sewage water? I'm surprised he was not immediately struck three times by lightning on the spot for making such mindbogglingly backward untruthful statements about a game everyone but Metacritic knows is complete waste of everyone who ever worked on it's time!

BioWare, you didn't "overreach" and there wasn't a "perceived" problem of the game being fucking wave-based or simple. It was the most dumbed-down BioWare game ever made -- and it can be proved mathematically if you really want to debate this; the fewest choices, the fewest areas, the fewest specialization, the fewest halls in every corridor-based dungeon... on and on I could babble about how iphone-like the game was. Rushed out the door, riddled with plot holes and banality, there was nothing wrong with the soul of the game -- since at its most basic elements it was a lot like BG2, which many would consider to be the greatest bar none. What was wrong with how it was executed - EA and BioWare became so associated with "incompetence" by releasing this game that they shouldn't even try to defend it like they do here -- but they do, and it's clear how out of touch BioWare really is at this point, that they would try to convince us that they tried too hard making Dragon Age 2.

You didn't need to acknowledge why DA2 sucked ass in this interview though, you just needed to say, "Hey, 9 month development cycle. We were rushed. This time, we're not." And that'd assauge 98% of the idiots who buy your shit.

Dragon Age 2 is the worst game BW has ever produced and one of the most embarassingly awful RPGs of recent memory. To say the above in any official statement with a serious face... I could write paragraphs explaining why Dragon Age 2 was not only an anti-RPG, but that it was a genuinely bad, rushed game. The only thing they did do right was try a more "personal story" (too bad it was poorly executed).

Buying DA3 at this stage should be considered a mortal sin.

And because this "gameplay trailer" showed all of .2*10 seconds of "gameplay" (gameplay trailers shouldn't have scripted combat like the above and should show the UI unlike the above; can you even call the 'gameplay' we were shown gameplay?)... I am now absolutely confident its gameplay will be floaty, shitty action-based combat on the level of popamole ME3. And after having seen so much of the cast already, I can already tell 90% will be just as unlikeable as Anders in DA2.

Then there was this gem:

Mark Darrah: It’s a little bit of both. From a small feature perspective things like control schemes and the way that the narrative or the way that the conversation works and stuff like that, that’s where we take a lot of feedback. That’s where we’re very much, I think people have a clear understanding of what they want and what they don’t like.

The danger is most people, myself included, aren’t perfectly objective when they’re playing a game at the higher level. Henry Ford has a famous quote. If we asked people what they wanted they’d ask for a faster horse. There’s a certain amount of truth to that.

Part of our job is to go out into the wilderness to go farther beyond what the players have seen, what they’ve played and essentially light a torch so they can see what could be and then hopefully they’ll want what we’re presenting. That can be uncomfortable. That can result in concern because obviously what they’re comfortable with, what they’ve played before isn’t completely what we’re delivering.

In the case of Dragon Age: Inquisition I think there is a core there. I think there is a core Dragon Age game at its center. I think that comfort still remains, but we will be pushing you, we’re challenging you with some new things.

That's a preposterous amount of arrogance. The lack of introspection does not give me confidence that they can fix their problems.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
SokOzyi.gif

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I love how the end of the trailer tells us to PRE-ORDER TODAY TO RECIEVE THE FLAMES OF THE INQUISITION PACK. Just in case you've never heard of EA, and you thought that this game might not be full of stupid cash-grab bullshit.

hexer

I just noticed how it all looks like a generic D&D 4E world.

You got to wonder why Bioware and Obsidian wanted to move away from Dungeons & Dragons IP only to base their "original IPs" on D&D.
One would presume a D&D game would sell better than a "D&D inspired" game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
These Dragon Age games are released too rapidly. I still have not finished the first one, let alone the second. As a continuity freak, I am therefore not interested in the third one. Sorry, Bioware, maybe one day I will run out of other games and actually play DAO to the end. Maybe.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Judging by the armor design only, it's going to be the worst game ever.

I mean, look at this shit.

maxresdefault.jpg

I knew EA is trying hard to befriend the LGBT community for quite some time now, but fuck... Those look fabulous! It's obvious who's their core audience now. Don't know if that's a wise business decission though.

OH SNAP! It all comes together now.

Arwydkn.png

DONT YOU FUCKING DARE

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian wanted to move away from Dungeons & Dragons IP

Obsidian, wanting to move away from licensed IPs? Haha.

If they're not making D&D RPGs it's because dumb Hasbro/WotC (or whatever publisher they've given their license to) don't want to greenlight one. Maybe that'll change sometime soon.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thankfully we have quite a few real turn based cRPG's coming our way so we can now just ignore this garbage.

Delterius

Arcane
Thankfully we have quite a few real turn based cRPG's coming our way so we can now just ignore this garbage.
The best part is this: is it wasn't for the renaissance, DA:I might have been the Codex GOTY 2014. So we must ever be thankful, even if glorious promises like those of D:OS turn out to be less than stellar.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Dragon Age 2 is the worst game BW has ever produced and one of the most embarassingly awful RPGs of recent memory"

You are an idiot. SOU, KOTOR, BG1, S:RPG, and ME3 are ALL OBECJTIVELY WORSE YOU FUKKIN' MORAN.

DA2 has more role-playing in its pink finger than most RPGs ever. FUCK YEAH!!!

"One would presume a D&D game would sell better than a "D&D inspired" game."

DA and ME series have both vastly outsold BIO's DnD properties. Overall, DnD games don't sell nearly as much as people. I like Dnd but it is NOT main stream popular. This diea that you slap a Dnd logo on something makes it an insta hit is plain retarted and not based on reality.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good troll but unoriginal and passe. 5/10 - You get 5 because we all know NWN = best game ever. Period.

Xbalanque

Educated
"Dragon Age 2 is the worst game BW has ever produced and one of the most embarassingly awful RPGs of recent memory"

You are an idiot. SOU, KOTOR, BG1, S:RPG, and ME3 are ALL OBECJTIVELY WORSE YOU FUKKIN' MORAN.

How can a game be objectively worse? I mean, come on, no one's objective here, nor nobody can be objective, actually.

Yay there willl be greenish awesome coming out of your hand whenever you click a button! Also, I love the fact that BW always wants to be so inclusive, yet they always feature a white male as a protagonist.

I thought the only thing the DA2 was praised for was the low-key story. And they seemed to aim to develop it, but as for now it seems that the only thing they care is to save the world from another threat...

Last edited:

hexer

Obsidian wanted to move away from Dungeons & Dragons IP

Obsidian, wanting to move away from licensed IPs? Haha.

If they're not making D&D RPGs it's because dumb Hasbro/WotC (or whatever publisher they've given their license to) don't want to greenlight one. Maybe that'll change sometime soon.

Didn't I hear somewhere their cries about not having the creative freedom with licensed IPs and how it would be cool if they did their own thing. But I don't see the creative freedom at work in PoE. You could easily slap a Forgotten Realms logo on it and no one would complain.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You couldn't, because all the names are wrong, as is the map, and the magic system and so on. Similar is not the same as identical. Consider that there are D&D nerds who object to the changes made to FR with each edition - some prefer 2nd Ed before Time of Troubles, quite a number prefer 3rd Ed before the Spell Plague and civilized orcs, and so on.

hexer

I wasn't thinking of it being identical, but how you could easily rebrand the game because it's not that different from what's already out there.

I dunno what they're gonna call them but this looks like a globe of invulnerability, magic missiles and call lightning at work. If my hands were untied I would do something different with my fantasy game. Also, I pledged for the game so I'm slightly butthurt over it.

Pillars-of-Eternity.jpg

Delterius

Arcane
Sorry hexer, but I don't get it.

What you see is a protective bubble, a lightning bolt and a stream of magical strikes. This is as generic as spellcasting gets. Furthermore, the lightning bolt might behave like it does in NwN2's or like in BG; just as we don't know what exactly the protective bubble wards off against. Such superficial likeness, as what you get from similar spell effects, are expected from a spirtual successor. If anything, as far as combat systems go, the game is going to be so different that people can't stop complaining about it in these very forums. So I don't understand exactly why you'd already be miffed about the setting -- unless you always wanted something other than High Fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom