Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a better game than Pillars of Eternity

Prime Junta

-Boss encounters and set piece fights, some of them could be considered gimmicky for sure but entertaining none the less, they usually threw something new at you and you had to adapt.

Hmm... trying to think back to the boss battles. Revenants, that dragon with the chalice, Morrigan's mom, the shit that went down in the Deep Roads... it's been a while since I played it but honestly? I don't really remember enjoying any of them much. It was either a matter of finding a simplistic tactic and applying it to win (e.g. the very first boss, the ogre in the tower -- kite it and have everyone shoot it to death, or the dragon with the chalice -- use that one spell that makes you invulnerable, slap it on your tank who draws aggro, then use the rest of the party to kill it).

Pillars' boss fights aren't best-in-class either, but I can't honestly say that they're worse. Undead Raedric is a significant and materially different challenge, and some of the bounties are downright entertaining, as are some of the tougher levels of Od Nua and tougher encounters in White March 1.

Didn't play the newer PoE versions but in the one I did, I could barely differentiate between boss fights and dozens of copy-paste trash mob encounter leading up to it.

From where I'm at you're exaggerating a bit, but it's not entirely wrong. The main problem with the "sameyness" of fights was the AI -- it would just latch onto whoever was closest, and was not particularly aggressive or smart using its special abilities. This has changed dramatically with version 2.0 -- when it came out, there was a lot of whining that the Adra Dragon is now "impossible" for example. (They'd given it fire immunity and made it use its breath weapon aggressively, among other things. IOW it became a genuine challenge.)

-Itemization, while horrid in both games (MMO inspired shit) I still preferred in DAO because of lack of omnipotent crafting, some nice armor sets and more useful accessory items (rings, belts, helms, gloves etc.).

I far prefer Pillars' itemization. DA:O just had piles and piles of ever-more-epic loot with ever-higher numbers stacked on them. With Pillars, most unique items actually have some unique properties on them, and there are non-obvious ways of getting maximal advantage out of those properties. One major pro for Pillars is also that the usual linear progression isn't there: you get damn good items right from Act 1, so instead of just using them for a bit and then throwing them out for the next-greatest-thing, the challenge becomes finding the set of items with the unique properties that you want for the particular build you want to support, and, conversely, to optimally distribute the uniques you have at any given time.

Some of the feel of "too many interchangeable uniques" comes from the fact that there really are many of them, and whatever your build or tactic happens to be, a lot of them won't be relevant to it. Trouble is, if you want to give enough uniques to support a big variety of builds and tactics, that's always going to be the case.

I actually missed the whole point of the Pillars itemisation system when I wrote the review here. I've only figured it out later, and it has seriously grown on me.

-Party members had some semblance of a back bone and could even turn on you in specific moments, in PoE they're just docile servants (regardless of their story/ending slide).

Yup, true. That's part of what I meant by DA:O having better choice and consequence.

Trashos

Arcane
-Itemization, while horrid in both games (MMO inspired shit) I still preferred in DAO because of lack of omnipotent crafting, some nice armor sets and more useful accessory items (rings, belts, helms, gloves etc.).

I find itemization to be much better in PoE, tbf. DAO was like "here is the best armor for your rogue, and here is the second best". Also, looting was criminally boring in DAO.
Neither game is anywhere close to BG2 in terms of itemization, of course.

But... it's... not like that!

More to the point, the way you build a character as a massive impact on how it plays.

Consider the ranger. Pump DEX and PER, pick Swift Aim, Swift and Steady, Weapon Focus: Soldier, Stalker's Link, and Penetrating Shot, and you'll be laying down a withering hail of arquebus fire or arbalest bolts while coordinating with your pet. Pump RES, CON, and INT, take Wounding Shot, Merciless Companion, Vicious Companion, and other abilities that stack pet damage, wear heavy armour and a shield, and you'll be an off-tank that doesn't do much damage, but your pet will hit like a freight train, moreso if you have someone else in the party to apply DoT. Completely different experience.

Same thing with, say, the paladin: build it around Flames of Devotion and you've got a scary alpha-striker who boosts damage for the whole party with Inspiring Triumph. Build it around support abilities, and you've got a tank who will make the entire party hit harder and fight longer.

Or, do you have a specific example?

Right, but is that enough? The game is too easy for all of that to matter.

Let's compare with Arcanum (which I love dearly), which is also a very easy game in order to make all builds viable, like PoE does. Arcanum lets me level up 50 times during each playthrough, so I get (fun of building my character)x50 instead of x12. Building my character is fun in both games, but building my character is a much bigger portion of the gameplay in Arcanum than it is in PoE. Also, optimizing a style of play in Arcanum is a much more chaotic and interesting experience than in PoE.

PoE, on the other hand, has a better combat system that would probably shine if the game was difficult enough. But it isn't. So it doesn't.

Lhynn

Arcane
Not this again, challenge doesnt matter when judging systems. PoE may or may not be easy, it doesnt matter. the problem with the system is that it comes down to abstracted numbers that dont really do much for gameplay. Your character may be doing something different than other characters, but the result is the exact same, you are pumping dps or eating dps. Theres only one tactic and its the same tactic in every fucking fight, and the only enemies that forced you to change it where super dodge nightcrawlers that had the intelligence to target those with smaller defense and lower HP numbers because they can read your stat sheet, while you can also read theirs, or cheaty unavoidable "lose control over your party members/they turn against you".

Its a shit system and ive seen even mmos easily do better.

Prime Junta

Not on Path of the Damned. Not until you outlevel the content. It is a problem on Normal and Hard though, a couple of boss fights aside -- and even on them, the gameplay experience is strongly impacted by your build and tactics. Playing with a sword-and-board beastmaster ranger is not the same as playing with a gunner ranger, or fast-shooting hunting-bow ranger for that matter.

Let's compare with Arcanum (which I love dearly), which is also a very easy game in order to make all builds viable, like PoE does. Arcanum lets me level up 50 times during each playthrough, so I get (fun of building my character)x50 instead of x12. Building my character is fun in both games, but building my character is a much bigger portion of the gameplay in Arcanum than it is in PoE. Also, optimizing a style of play in Arcanum is a much more chaotic and interesting experience than in PoE.

I lovehate Arcanum. I love playing a technomancer in it; there character-building, crafting, and gear is genuinely deep, challenging, and interesting. For everything else it's just too damn easy to completely break the game, and I'm not just talking about Harm-spam or boomerang clickclickclick. And yeah, for character-building more is more, no question about that.

(BTW the Pillars level cap is 14 with WM1, 16 with WM2.)

PoE, on the other hand, has a better combat system that would probably shine if the game was difficult enough. But it isn't. So it doesn't.

Try it on PotD. I keep forgetting not everybody plays it on it...

I would like them to rebalance the whole thing, mind. The way I'd do it is use the monster stats from PotD everywhere except Story Mode, and make a "real" PotD where they wouldn't have higher defences but would have even higher Accuracy.

Prime Junta

Not this again, challenge doesnt matter when judging systems. PoE may or may not be easy, it doesnt matter. the problem with the system is that it comes down to abstracted numbers that dont really do much for gameplay. Your character may be doing something different than other characters, but the result is the exact same, you are pumping dps or eating dps. Theres only one tactic and its the same tactic in every fucking fight, and the only enemies that forced you to change it where super dodge nightcrawlers that had the intelligence to target those with smaller defense and lower HP numbers because they can read your stat sheet, while you can also read theirs, or cheaty unavoidable "lose control over your party members/they turn against you".

This is... just not true. Makes me wonder if you've ever even played the game, other than maybe firing it up on Easy, mashing buttons for a couple of hours, and then proclaiming yourself an expert. You even get the fundamental thing wrong: if you try to play Pillars by pumping or eating DPS you won't get very far. It's all about status effects (applying, combining, defending against, suppressing) with crowd control absolutely crucial.

Trashos

Arcane

Even if I agreed with you, this is a bit too academic for me. In theory I can think of several flaws with BG2's combat system, but in practice that system has given me countless hours of fun. They desgned the fights to death, the game was challenging, and it all clicked for me.

That's why I can't pass a final judgment on PoE's system until it challenges me.

Not on Path of the Damned. Not until you outlevel the content. It is a problem on Normal and Hard though, a couple of boss fights aside -- and even on them, the gameplay experience is strongly impacted by your build and tactics. Playing with a sword-and-board beastmaster ranger is not the same as playing with a gunner ranger, or fast-shooting hunting-bow ranger for that matter.

Try it on PotD. I keep forgetting not everybody plays it on it...

I would like them to rebalance the whole thing, mind. The way I'd do it is use the monster stats from PotD everywhere except Story Mode, and make a "real" PotD where they wouldn't have higher defences but would have even higher Accuracy.

I don't have the expansions. I normally don't buy them. (well, if I hear that they are MotB-level quality, I will reconsider)

I promise you that I will try PotD at some point in the near future. Hopefully it will deliver. I somehow have a bad feeling about it though, based on the increased number of enemies (which I generally strongly dislike; note how BG2 didn't have to do this to make things interesting). I 'll try PotD anyway, but not before I finish my Hard playthrough.

I like your ideas on the design. When is your mod going to be available? ;)

Prime Junta

BTW a note about that "outleveling the content" thing -- on PotD that's the main reason things get dull after a certain point, and the expansions are making it worse. That's largely down to the scope of the game and the lack of level scaling. They wanted to put crit-path level scaling in but got shouted down by the community, and IMO that's made the game materially worse than it could be. Now they have optional end-game and WM (high-)level scaling, which is a really clunky half-measure.

I really wish they had done it like in BG2, by scaling up the encounters if you hit them late. And even there, the game does become rather trivial if you have a good build. (In my latest BG2 playthrough, I had a blast of a time reaching my self-imposed goal of getting Crom Faeyr as early as possible; after that point, all the Athkatla stuff I didn't do is a complete yawn.)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This is... just not true. Makes me wonder if you've ever even played the game, other than maybe firing it up on Easy, mashing buttons for a couple of hours, and then proclaiming yourself an expert. You even get the fundamental thing wrong: if you try to play Pillars by pumping or eating DPS you won't get very far. It's all about status effects (applying, combining, defending against, suppressing) with crowd control absolutely crucial.

All edgyness aside.. On hard mode - I played up to the big hole in the ground in the final act of the game, killed all the dragons.. and I have to agree with Lhynn. Maybe Path of the Damned would significantly change my opinion but really I played every encounter almost the same.

One tank dude, a bunch of range dps / one rogue and a buff whore. I did the exact same thing almost every fight and the only change was sometimes a character would die. My entire playthrough on hard was essentially what Lhynn described. Go full dps on 4/6.. tank on one and have the Durance splash out heals and buffs.

The only fight I really needed to think about / cheese was the vampire lord dude and one of the dragons.

TL;DR I think you and infinitron give too much depth to this game where there is none.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Immortal If you're talking about version 1.0 of the game on Hard, then what you say is broadly true.

It is not true for version 1.0 of the game on PotD, and it is not true at all for 2.0 on PotD -- mostly due to improvements in enemy AI. You simply cannot play effectively with that setup: the AI will go for your ranged DPS, rogue, and caster, and your tank won't be able to stop it. It'll only work if (1) you can hold a chokepoint and (2) the opposition has no ranged attacks, which is only true for a handful of fights.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm willing to reinstall the game after the last expansion drops and give it a final play through.
I mean Josh has basically gone 180 on most of his "Thou shalt never" design paradigms, too bad it took a year to get here.

I hold no illusions that the itemization / level design / hordes of trash encounters will improve at all but if the combat is any less boring it can't be worse than any of the other shit that came out recently.. Cough Sword coast legends Cough.

Prime Junta

I'm willing to reinstall the game after the last expansion drops and give it a final play through.
I mean Josh has basically gone 180 on most of his "Thou shalt never" design paradigms, too bad it took a year to get here.

Hmm... has he? The only one I can think of is hard counters; those are in in 3.0.

I hold no illusions that the itemization / level design / hordes of trash encounters will improve at all but if the combat is any less boring it can't be worse than any of the other shit that came out recently.. Cough Sword coast legends Cough.

The level design could be better, yes. There was some improvement in WM1, and it remains to be seen if WM2 has more, but there's still nothing like Firkraag's dungeon there.

I'm quite curious to see what they've done with the trash mobs, supposedly they've pruned a lot of them down. As it is, some areas are really fucking tedious especially on PotD -- level 8 of Od Nua and Pearlwood Bluff to name two.

But, once again: the combat really is a lot better following the rebalancing and AI improvements they did for 2.0. Rote tank-and-spank just won't work anymore, but there's a broad range of tactics that will.

Lhynn

Arcane
:lol: PotD and all i did was tank and spank. and "crowd control" comes down to decreasing their dps, for the most part. Its not like you hobble them to make them slower to move, you just hobble them because it increases your dps. Because for some retarded reason their walking speed being reduced leads to you making more DPS even if they arent fucking moving from their spot, its just so fucking retarded its amazing that anyone would think its good design.
Lets not forget the harmless tanks and glass cannon mmo gameplay. The blandness that comes with the "everything should work" mentality.
And again, i must remind you that every encounter plays the exact same, every fight is a trash fight. There are like 3-4 exceptions to this in the whole game, they can be easily named and have been done so to death.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Lhynn I simply can't believe you're telling the truth. What you claim to have done and what you claim to have experienced just don't mesh. You're saying demonstrably untrue things about the game -- for example, there is no instance in Pillars where you lose control of your party and they turn against you. Not one. (Unless you count charm/confuse attacks which would be pretty retarded as that's been in since BG1 at least.)

In other words, I believe you're flat-out lying. As such, I don't really see much point continuing this conversation. By all means carry on shitposting, good sir -- that too is what the Codex is about, or so I gather.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Hmm... has he? The only one I can think of is hard counters; those are in in 3.0

- Hard Counters Like you said
- Combat XP
- Garrison Gated Content
- Half the stat balance changes sensuki bitched about in beta creeping in over patches.

I'm sure there is more stuff I can't think of. I haven't shit posted in poe threads for a while.. forgot a lot of my talking points. :(

Prime Junta

Immortal Ah OK. I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "thou shalt nevers." The stats f.ex. are a pretty superficial change IMO, and still pursuing his original (and still unmet) goal of making every stat relevant to every class.

I also don't think bestiary XP counts -- he's opposed to combat XP (and systemic XP in general) because it incentivises grinding and behaviour like going back to kill the beasties after you solved the quest to harvest the XP; bestiary XP doesn't do this as it caps out and you don't get any from killing kith anyway. (I also don't think the stupid half-measure systemic XP they did add -- lockpicking, untrapping, and bestiary -- improve the game in any way.)

(What's Garrison Gated content?)

Lhynn

Arcane
Lhynn I simply can't believe you're telling the truth. What you claim to have done and what you claim to have experienced just don't mesh. You're saying demonstrably untrue things about the game -- for example, there is no instance in Pillars where you lose control of your party and they turn against you. Not one. (Unless you count charm/confuse attacks which would be pretty retarded as that's been in since BG1 at least.)
I counted charm/confuse because its at least something good they kept from the old BG games, the fact that they are irresistible is just complete trash tho, so even the implementation of it is flawed and worse than it was around 15 years ago.

In other words, I believe you're flat-out lying. As such, I don't really see much point continuing this conversation. By all means carry on shitposting, good sir -- that too is what the Codex is about, or so I gather.
But you just confirmed im not lying by literally naming the instances where this occurs.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I counted charm/confuse because its at least something good they kept from the old BG games, the fact that they are irresistible is just complete trash tho, so even the implementation of it is flawed and worse than it was around 15 years ago.

But... they're not irresistible. Buff the Will defence, use the Bond of Duty exhortation, use the Prayer against Bewilderment/Prayer against Treachery spells, use any of the scrolls that help defend against it, use a pet with the Loyal Companion perk to attract them, and so on.

This is clearly too hard for most players though, which is why in 3.0 they made some of these confer an actual immunity rather than just raise the resistance. I think it was a bad idea; it turned a challenge that you needed to think to overcome into a BG2-esque deeeerp just cast the right spell one.

Lhynn

Arcane
But... they're not irresistible. Buff the Will defence, use the Bond of Duty exhortation, use the Prayer against Bewilderment/Prayer against Treachery spells, use any of the scrolls that help defend against it, use a pet with the Loyal Companion perk to attract them, and so on.
They added immunities? or are you wasting my time? Because other than raising your will defense to stupid levels to force a miss, wasting a lot more time doing it than the enemy does using the actual effect is not my idea of something "good". Or did they add prebuffing as well?

This is clearly too hard for most players though, which is why in 3.0 they made some of these confer an actual immunity rather than just raise the resistance.
Its not that its hard, its that it doesnt feel impactful and makes enemies all the same, with the only difference being % numbers to some crap or whatnot. Also 3.5 had resistances.

I think it was a bad idea; it turned a challenge that you needed to think to overcome into a BG2-esque deeeerp just cast the right spell one.
Casting the right spell at the right time beats casting the same spells.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

They added immunities? or are you wasting my time? Because other than raising your will defense to stupid levels to force a miss, wasting a more time doing it than the enemy does using the actual effect is not my idea of something "good". Or did they add prebuffing as well?

They are adding immunities in 3.0. Stupidly IMO. Prebuffing always was in -- with food. Some of those buff Will.

It also doesn't take much time -- even none at all -- if you do it cleverly. You have stats, inherent defences, items, and consumables. On top of that, you have a choice of a number of spells and abilities, some of which (Prayer against Treachery, Bond of Duty) buffs your defences high enough that it might as well be an immunity, unless you slap it on someone whose Will is really, really low which would be dumb.

BTW you do realise that your argument is essentially "Whaa this is too hard!?"

Casting the right spell at the right time beats casting the same spells.

Yeah, "oo mind flayers, Chaotic Commands!" is super tactical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lhynn

Arcane
They are adding immunities in 3.0. Stupidly IMO. Prebuffing always was in -- with food. Some of those buff Will.
So you still cant magic whenever you feel like but when the game arbitrarily tells you you can? and good, i had heard they were adding immunities, maybe enemies will be more memorable than their skin and stupid name.

It also doesn't take much time -- even none at all -- if you do it cleverly. You have stats, inherent defences, items, and consumables. On top of that, you have a choice of a number of spells and abilities, some of which (Prayer against Treachery, Bond of Duty) buffs your defences high enough that it might as well be an immunity, unless you slap it on someone whose Will is really, really low which would be dumb.
So the best the game has to offer is stuff that "may as well be what we had before". Still seems like the changes have been mostly positive.

BTW you do realise that your argument is essentially "Whaa this is too hard!?"
Quite the opposite, my argument is that its so easy i dont even have to try. Regardles of how pumped up the enemy "numbers" are. Comes down to you making the numbers that matter on your side higher while making the numbers that matter on their side lower.

Yeah, "oo mind flayers, Chaotic Commands!" is super tactical.
There was more than one tactic available against them, i for instance never memorized that spell, had other ways of beating them, summons and playing with positioning and movement for example. But yeah, the fact that every enemy type posed a different challenge that needed to be tackled in a different way is actually good, how you can be attacking this approach is just telling of how far gone you seem to be.

Prime Junta

So you still cant magic whenever you feel like but when the game arbitrarily tells you you can? and good, i had heard they were adding immunities, maybe enemies will be more memorable than their skin and stupid name.

Enemy immunities are already in since 2.0. They're adding spells, abilities, and (possibly) items which confer immunities also.

So the best the game has to offer is stuff that "may as well be what we had before". Still seems like the changes have been mostly positive.

What the game offers you is a broad palette of tools which you can combine in lots of ways to get the result you want. What you're asking for here -- items or abilities which confer a blanket immunity -- is one-dimensional and rote by comparison.

Quite the opposite, my argument is that its so easy i dont even have to try. Regardles of how pumped up the enemy "numbers" are. Comes down to you making the numbers that matter on your side higher while making the numbers that matter on their side lower.

Then why were you complaining about "cheaty, unresistable" charm/dominate?

And, if you want to boil it down to numbers, that's exactly how it works in every cRPG ever. Beating Firkraag? Just making the numbers higher on your side and lower on his side. The only difference is that in addition to that BG2 gives you scads of items and spells that let you simply neutralise any special attack in the game. It's only a matter of knowing that Negative Plane Protection (or Enhanced Mace of Disruption, or that one amulet) counters level drain, Chaotic Commands (or that one helm, or a number of other items) counters Charm/Dominate, and so on and so forth. Those things make the game simpler and more rote, not the opposite.

There was more than one tactic available against them, i for instance never memorized that spell, had other ways of beating them, summons and playing with positioning and movement for example. But yeah, the fact that every enemy type posed a different challenge that needed to be tackled in a different way is actually good, how you can be attacking this approach is just telling of how far gone you seem to be.

This is precisely why I think you're lying about Pillars. You're claiming that enemies there don't provide unique challenges, when they specifically do. With fampyrs you need to find a way to deal with their Dominates, without having recourse to a win button like Chaotic Commands. With dragons, the Terrify aura, the nasty breath weapon, and the minions. With ogres, the Knockdown attack. With ogre druids, the Knockdown attack, the high DR, and the extremely nasty DoT effects and debuffs they slap on you. With lagufaeth, their fast movement and ranged Paralyze attacks. With adragans, the ranged Petrify attack, and so on and so forth.

These do provide unique challenges, and they cannot be beat by repeating a single, rote tactic. Can. Not. That is just flat out untrue. Not even when playing on Easy, let alone PotD.

(I'm also struck by the fact that you haven't mentioned any of the tactics that are borderline exploitative and overly-broadly applicable, or were until 2.0 anyway. Which also suggests that you're lying about having played the game. Slicken-spam for example, never even mind 'advanced' exploits like playing with six Moon Godlike chanters singing Come Come Soft Winds Of Death.)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Immortal If you're talking about version 1.0 of the game on Hard, then what you say is broadly true.

It is not true for version 1.0 of the game on PotD, and it is not true at all for 2.0 on PotD -- mostly due to improvements in enemy AI. You simply cannot play effectively with that setup: the AI will go for your ranged DPS, rogue, and caster, and your tank won't be able to stop it. It'll only work if (1) you can hold a chokepoint and (2) the opposition has no ranged attacks, which is only true for a handful of fights.
I remember that even on 1.0, ranged casters and shooters tried shooting your squishy party members but I remember that even on PotD I solved that issue targetting ranged attackers with my musket men and with disabling spells first, first one or second salvos were enough to get rid of most ranged shooters on most groups. The presence of ranged shooters didn't change the boring "chase for DPS" that PoE suffers from. Did they nerfed the engagement system on 2.0? Because on 1.0, most melee attackers were true gentlemen on seeking only your tanks to attack with exception of shadows.

Prime Junta

Did they nerfed the engagement system on 2.0? Because on 1.0, most melee attackers were true gentlemen on seeking only your tanks to attack with exception of shadows.

They did nerf engagement to an extent, but mostly they changed the AI. It will now disengage actively to go after your squishies, and not just shadows. You can't park your tank in front and expect it to keep the back line safe, and if you have completely or nearly unarmored strikers, you will have to micro them a lot -- a LOT -- to keep them from getting stomped on.

In fact there are complaints that the fighter's engagement-based abilities are now borderline useless because of this. I never used them much so I couldn't say; I always built my fighters for damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom