Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a better game than Pillars of Eternity

Delterius

Arcane
Why everyone here hates PoE? Is it really a bad game? Or just below exceptions?
PoE is outstanding in Art and Music, mediocre in Quests and in its Story and polarizing in its Rules system since it departs from the source. Plus its RTwP which in the old days was enough to declare it shit. The forum is rife with fanboys and haters.

Prime Junta

The mechanics and combat have improved a great deal since 1.0, through balancing and AI changes and the introduction of immunities. In particular the rebalancing of engagement has greatly broadened the range of viable builds and tactics, and the more aggressive AI has made them necessary. It's still rather easy though with PotD the only difficulty that pushes you somewhat, and then only until you outlevel the content.

I just fired up BG2 the other day, and was a bit surprised at how one-dimensional the combat felt compared to post-2.0 Pillars actually.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Y'all have no idea how shit I am at games. :negative:
I only play on "normal" ususally, but still having a hard time every now and then.
With PoE too.

DAO is about on par with Pillars of Eternity. Both are mediocre and pretty trashy. DAI is insufferable poz'd garbage made for trannies and other weirdos.

Agreed, but in the sense that when encoutnering PoE and DAO, one's reaction is 'Wow. This is mediocre and pretty trashy. Fucking awesome, that's way less shit than most of the other stuff out there - I'm going to sink 50 hours into this thing!!!'

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
When DAO was released it was the least shit of all shit released back then but POE got released when there was many better games around thanks to kickstarter and Renascence. Can't say how bad DAI was as never bothered to even demo it but Twicher 3 nor Skyrim it was not (judging from Comrade RK47 kun playthrou.) I guess as shit as Fallout 4 was.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Not everyone. It's actually done pretty well here in various polls. There's a sizable bunch of people who really, really, REALLY hate it though and never miss the opportunity to say so. Try it for yourself and make up your own mind.

#4 of the year when you could only pick one (over 30 posters) http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...goty-roleplaying-game-game-of-the-year.106067
#4 and statistically tied with Staglands when you could pick three (over 70 posters) http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...s-quick-and-brutal-2015-rpgoty-survey.105982/
#1 by the greatest amount when it comes to disappointment of the year (over 100 posters) http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-rpg-release-did-you-dislike-the-most.106196/

Tigranes

Arcane
Some people hated poe and celerity'd it and will mention it in random unrelated threads. Others no longer bother to bring it up to attract the crusade. End of story

Morkar Left

PoE is outstanding in Art and Music, mediocre in Quests and in its Story and polarizing in its Rules system since it departs from the source. Plus its RTwP which in the old days was enough to declare it shit. The forum is rife with fanboys and haters.

And most of all it's piss-easy which makes all customization pointless and unnecessary. Additionally it strikes me as lazy when little details are missing like guards not reacting to combat and passing through the battlefield as it wouldn't exist. Maybe this points are fixed by now which would be really awesome but I doubt it.

Suicidal

Arcane
While PoE undeniably has many flaws it's still a pretty damn good game and people who make claims like "DA:I is better than PoE r00fles":

1. Played PoE for a few hours while clicking through all dialogue without even attempting to understand what's going on
2. Are trolling, because saying shit like this can have the same effect as saying "hey guys did you know Oblivion is actually a better game than Gothic 2"
3. Trying too hard to get some of them KKKs because "holy shit, a lot of people here seem to dislike this PoE game, I better join in so they will like me"
4. Actually really enjoy games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 but will never admit it to not lose face

And no, I've never played DA:I myself. I found the first Dragon Age incredibly boring and mediocre (it started out pretty good but then became really really dull) and only finished it not because I was enjoying myself but because I'm a completionist fuckwit and if all indicators point to DA:I being even somehow worse then I'm not even gonna bother torrenting it.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
While PoE undeniably has many flaws it's still a pretty damn good game and people who make claims like "DA:I is better than PoE r00fles":

1. Played PoE for a few hours while clicking through all dialogue without even attempting to understand what's going on
2. Are trolling, because saying shit like this can have the same effect as saying "hey guys did you know Oblivion is actually a better game than Gothic 2"
3. Trying too hard to get some of them KKKs because "holy shit, a lot of people here seem to dislike this PoE game, I better join in so they will like me"
4. Actually really enjoy games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 but will never admit it to not lose face
:bro:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Plus its RTwP which in the old days was enough to declare it shit.
And it still is. I bet all TB fanboys around here would be praising DA:O and PoE even now if those were TB games.

Face it, dumbfucks: just because you keep calling a game "mediocre shit trash" at every step doesn't make it true.

Prime Junta

DA:I is mediocre shit trash though

Even so, I had several hours of fun with it before the collect-all-the-shards thing and grindy samey combat finally did me in. It's a shame about the gameplay and the filler content because the environments are rather nicely done, a lot of the main quest isn't bad at all, and several of the NPC's are well written and voice-acted. (Sadly several are so bad they make it hard to notice they're not all like that.)

It's a shame really. It's as if there's a quite a good game in there somewhere that wants to get out, but can't because of the promancers, MMO-heads, and execs who insist on so many hundred hours of gameplay no matter what.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
DA:I is mediocre shit trash though
DA:I was the worst AAA game I've ever seen but OTOH I know people who enjoyed it and I say: good for them. Live and let live. There's nothing wrong with having a strong opinion but the way DA:O and PoE are treated on the Codex certainly doesn't add any credibility to these forums. Ironically, the few people who actually had anything interesting to say about PoE have mostly moved on (even Sensuki).

Prime Junta

Origins has better choice and consequence in its quests, and the dwarf noble origin is rad.

I can't think of anything else in it that I like better than PoE though.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I really think PoE is a pretty poorly designed game with misguided design goals, a very underwhelming and repetitive game but that said comparing DA:I with PoE is unfair. PoE is an underwhelming game from a studio that should know better, DA:I is from a studio that I expected shit and it surpassed my expectations dumping a cuthulu monster.

Trashos

Arcane
I just fired up BG2 the other day, and was a bit surprised at how one-dimensional the combat felt compared to post-2.0 Pillars actually.

Don't know, man, I wouldn't go that far. Granted, I still haven't done my "Hard" playthrough with PoE, so my opinion is subject to change. But the enounter design does not seem to be on par, which hurts PoE's gameplay quite a bit.

If they make PoE2 at some point with excellent encounter design, I may change my mind. But right now all I can say is that the combat system in BG2 gave all the fun it could possible give, and it won't be easy for PoE to match that.

hivemind

Sten is a better written character than anything in PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom