Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dragon Age Community Update

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Elwro said:
So, to more programming-proficient guys here: how would you estimate the chances of someone writing a DX10 emulator so that the "DX10 exclusive" games wouldn't actually require it?

But even if such an emulator was written, I wonder if the games would run on XP.
Actually, the Linux community, which is working on getting DirectX 10 support over to Linux/Wine has pretty much said that if they can do that (which is highly probable) they can port the same code over to Windows XP/2000.

So it seems likely to me that although it may take a few years, XP/2000 will get DirectX 10 afterall. The good thing is that game developers will probably be a bit slow to adopt DirectX 10 due to sales issues. They wouldn't want to alienate their Windows XP customers, or give them a dumb downed version of the game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
THe only DX10 exclusive games on the near horizion are those from microsoft game studios, like Halo 2. They are essentially trying to use these games in order to push Vista adoption. They're going to need better games to accomplish that though, who the fuck would install windows vista so they can play a port of an ancient console FPS?

Fez

Erudite
The handling of Halo 2 is pathetic really. There is no reason it has to have DX10 or be DX10 only. A very cheap move. It's been held back for far too long due to the incompetent handling of Vista and the marketing idea that this game will make all the gamers jump at the chance to have it, despite the fact I could by the console and Halo 2 for less than Vista and have won it already before it finally comes out.

Halo 3 will be out soon.

Sarvis

Erudite
Dgaider said:
After all, while I think it's the most hardcore game we've done in years, it's hardly a return to "the good old days". :)

Definately not, since there is no turn based combat and no rangers. :(

Lumpy

Arcane
Dgaider said:
After all, while I think it's the most hardcore game we've done in years, it's hardly a return to "the good old days". :)
Ahhhhh the good old days of Baldur's Gate

At least you could talk your way out of a decent amount of situations, people actually died, stats mattered, there were some choices and consequences, no player skill could get in the equation, and there was some challenge.

Compared to titles like KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, and Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate was most certainly "hardcore".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Stop the bullshit, spread the truth.

Like whatever games you want; but KOTOR, NWN, and JE were all superior at ROLE-PLAYING than BG was. Period. It's not even close.

M0RBUS

Augur
Volourn said:
Stop the bullshit, spread the truth.

Like whatever games you want; but KOTOR, NWN, and JE were all superior at ROLE-PLAYING than BG was. Period. It's not even close.
I don't know for sure about JE, but I can agree on that about KOTOR and NWN... Of course, RPG's are normally not made of ROLE-PLAYING only. You have to have some adventure, some tactics (sometimes, y'know, 'ts cool and all...) and some challenge... For a matter of fact, The Sims 2 is better at role-playing than any CRPG is and it's not an RPG XD

Really now? In Jade Empire it was only two choices in every situation. Open Palm (nice guy) and Closed Fist (meanie EXTREME Jack Bauer in Asia). Oh....and skills and character customization got thrown out the window.

In Neverwinter Nights there were also the standard good, and evil paths....except...get this....they were only in about 40 percent of the quests. The rest were all fetch quests with only one way of solving them. Sure, there were a few gems, like the trial. But the Baldur's Gate series had far more of them.

KOTOR was pretty much the same as Jade Empire. Two ways for everything, maybe a rare third choice.

All right...that was a little messy...let's break this down.

*Choices and Consequencesâ„¢*

Baldur's Gate: A lot of fetch/kill quests, but often times there were alternative solution quests, some even were more than two choices. There were a few instances in which doing certain things gained you the favor of people or distaste, but there really weren't tons of consequences.

Shadows of Amn: I'd say about 90 percent of the quests had some sort of choice. Most had the typical super good versus ultra evil thing. Often times though there were choices that were neutral, or choices that were less good/evil. Your actions often carried some weight and certain doors might open or close. Not as much as say Fallout or Arcanum, but a decent amount.

Neverwinter Nights: Everything was good, evil, neutral. That is if it wasn't as simple fetch quest, which most of the game was. Stuff you did really didn't matter, even if you were horrendously evil, nobody tried to stop you.

KOTOR and Jade Empire: Two ways through most every quest, a good and an evil one. Rarely were there third options. There were consequences to a few things, but not too much.

*Dialogue*

Baldur's Gate: Dialogue can be used to solve some problems and you can talk your way out of some fights. Problem is, dialogue wasn't designed too well in this game. Often times you could only say one thing and couldn't ask every question or build upon questions. Charisma helped, but only a little and only in certain situations. There were often a few extra dialogue options or different takes on the same basic thing.

Shadows of Amn: Dialogue can be used to solve plenty of things. There are a reasonable amount of places were you can avoid bloodshed with some sort of speaking. There were a few Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma things in dialogue, but not too many. Most of the time different choices led to different outcomes. There werevery frequently a few extra dialogue options or different takes on the same basic thing.

Neverwinter Nights: Dialogue is all good, evil, and neutral, if that. You can try to talk your way through things, but mostly it leads to you getting some experience (maybe) and a thanks for trying while the same damn thing happened. Stats were in dialogue and obvious, which is good. Problem is, the Bioware tradition of all choices leading to the same thing started really manifesting itself here.

KOTOR and Jade Empire: Decent dialogue, but all mostly on the good/evil shtick. There are a few things solveable by dialogue, moreso than Neverwinter Nights, and skills and stats apply, but the Bioware tradition of differing choices leading to a similar outcome is in full swing in a lot of places, especially in Jade Empire.

*Party Member Interaction*

Baldur's Gate: They talked....a little. They wanted to do things, and might get pissed if you didn't. Sometimes there was infighting. Not really all that great overall, but somewhat better than Neverwinter Nights and company in certain areas, particularly party members being more.....independant.

Shadows of Amn: Characters in your party talked a lot....albeit at strange time increments. Sometimes they talked based on a situation and disagreed with certain actions. And guess what? If you really pissed them off, they are gone. Heck, they might even attack or betray you.

Neverwinter Nights: Now you can talk with your party when you want to....errr I mean lone henchmen (at least until Hordes of the Underdark). Problems is, this shit makes no sense at all. You can get them to spit out more of their life story...as you level up. And get this, even if you tell them to shut up, and that they are worthless scum....they'll still talk to you, tell you stuff, and they don't seem to ever leave you...even if you are polar opposites.

KOTOR: Again you can talk to your comrades when you wish, again they spew out their life stories as you level up as opposed to the time they are with you/what you do. Again they do not leave you or really react to your actions (at least until the very end). Maybe it has something to do with the immortality granted by staying with Revan.....

Jade Empire: Can't really say I'm qualified to fully comment on this. It seemed just like KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights, but I really hated every damn one of these people, mostly because they were rehashes of rehashes.

*Character Skill Being Paramount*

Baldur's Gate: All stats, no reflexes. But you can pretty easily use some cheese tactics.

Shadows of Amn: Same as above.

Neverwinter Nights: All stats and surprising hard to cheese. Definitely the best in this catagory.

KOTOR: Mostly stats, but a tiny bit of player reflex can seep in. Also the entire combat system itself is pretty much cheese combat.

Jade Empire: Character skill being paramount got aborted faster than an unwanted baby.

Those were four pretty large aspects of roleplaying, at least in relation to Bioware games. As far as I can see, things have only gotten worse after Shadows of Amn, except for the combat system, which got better in Neverwinter Nights (too bad the combat encounters lacked any real interesting qualities).

One could say Bioware is much like Bethesda, a regressive company now. Baldur's Gate was Bioware's Arena, Shadows of Amn its Daggerfall, and the rest more like multiple Morrowinds. It's only a matter of time before their Oblivion comes if things continue this way. But maybe things will get better.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"In Jade Empire it was only two choices in every situation"

Stop the bullshit, start the truth.

This alone shows that you just don't know what you are talking, and makes the rest of your post completely wortrhless to even quote and rant against.

The majority of JE's quests had more than two solutions.

Game over.

Stop being a BG fanboy, and stop talking about the 'good old days'.

Like the game more; but the FACT is that BIO's games have become BETTER at role-playing than the Bg series (espicially BG1).

It's no contest no matter how many false words you use.

P.S. The only one you get a point for is JE's player skill being really important in company which you get an old fashion course of 'Duh!" for. There's a reason why JE is described as an ACTION RPG while the other games are just 'ol fashion RPGS.

Imagine that. The game's combat works as ADVERTISED.

Your slogan is weak. Needs more EXTREME collar-grabbing action.

This alone shows that you just don't know what you are talking, and makes the rest of your post completely wortrhless to even quote and rant against.

Nice way of dodging my argument.

The majority of JE's quests had more than two solutions.

A quick trip to Gamefaqs seems to prove you wrong.

Like the game more; but the FACT is that BIO's games have become BETTER at role-playing than the Bg series (espicially BG1).

Maybe so, why don't you lay down an argument and prove it?

There's a reason why JE is described as an ACTION RPG

Icewind Dale, Fallout Tactics, and Diablo (numero uno) were action RPGs and they had a decent to severe lack of player skill. Perhaps *gasp* an action RPG doesn't necesarily mean twitch combat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Icewind Dale, Fallout Tactics, and Diablo (numero uno) were action RPGs and they had a decent to severe lack of player skill. Perhaps *gasp* an action RPG doesn't necesarily mean twitch combat."

L0L THos egames tend to lack the role-pllaying. L0L And, Tatics wasn't a roll playing game, fool. It was tatical/strategy game. IWD was a dungeon crawl as was Diablo.

L0L I cna't believe you used games that lack role-playing to argue on behalf of (action)RPGs. HAHAHA!

"A quick trip to Gamefaqs seems to prove you wrong."

L0L Game Faqs. L0L I trust my own experience before I'd trust any site. Mnay quests have more than 2 solutions. In fact, it's more likely to exist than the other way. In fact, more than a couple have at least half a dozen ways to complete them. *shrug* Anyone who has actually played JE would know. Hate on the combat, hate the characters, hate the stories, hate on the lack of an inventory; but be intellectually resposnible and just admit that when it comes to actual role-playing, JE CRUSHES the BG series ESPICIALLY BG1.

"Maybe so, why don't you lay down an argument and prove it?"

I already have. Do a search. You already have with your own embarassing nonsense. What do NWN, JE, and KOTOR all ahve in common that neither BG has? DIALOGUE SKILLS. That alone makes them better. You CANNOT play a dialogue focused character in
the BG series, and your bullshit lie that dialogue skills are use din the BG series to any significant degree is bullshit. Meanwhile, in both JE and KOTOR; it's pretty much used in every dialogue above the leave of random common met on the city streets. Even NWN's dialgues are LITTERED with dialogue skills/ability/feats that enhance role-playing.

"Your slogan is weak. Needs more EXTREME collar-grabbing action."

Volourn said:
L0L THos egames tend to lack the role-pllaying. L0L And, Tatics wasn't a roll playing game, fool. It was tatical/strategy game. IWD was a dungeon crawl as was Diablo.

L0L I cna't believe you used games that lack role-playing to argue on behalf of (action)RPGs. HAHAHA!

I can't believe you just brutally raped the English language right there. That being said, I forgot you had the....different definition of action-RPG than the norm. My mistake.

L0L Game Faqs. L0L

I know....it's so hilarious. Like kicking someone into a pool hilarious.

I trust my own experience before I'd trust any site.

That's an admirable postion to take in life. Unfortunately, you still have not brought any evidence to the table.

Mnay quests have more than 2 solutions. In fact, it's more likely to exist than the other way. In fact, more than a couple have at least half a dozen ways to complete them.

Same thing with quests in Shadows of Amn and a few in the original have tons of ways to be completed as well.

Anyone who has actually played JE would know.

I played it....though I will admit only once and I really didn't pay the utmost of attention to it. My points on Jade Empire aren't exactly the best, I believe I said that. But that doesn't invaliadte the rest of them or any evidence I bring to the table that would support my claims.

but be intellectually resposnible and just admit that when it comes to actual role-playing, JE CRUSHES the BG series ESPICIALLY BG1.

Well an intellectually responsible person would most likely draw upon facts of some sort or at least have evidence at the ready to support their claims.

I already have. Do a search.

Oh now that's just silly.....I can't be bothered to wade through all 8000+ of your posts looking through for anything. It would be much more efficient for you to do so. I do assume you know yourself pretty well and would easily be able to find your own material with far greater ease and would easily be able to bring forth your best, no?

You already have with your own embarassing nonsense.

At least my nonsense is ledgible.

What do NWN, JE, and KOTOR all ahve in common that neither BG has? DIALOGUE SKILLS. That alone makes them better.

Charisma (and somewhat Wisdom) was in Baldur's Gate albeit impplemented poorly. And saying the speech skills in the other games were really thought out is just lying to yourself.

You CANNOT play a dialogue focused character in the BG series,

Of course not, but you sure can't play one in Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, or Jade Empire. It's the same in all Bioware games, dialogue is an option that sometimes solves things, usually fails when you really want it.

and your bullshit lie that dialogue skills are used in the BG series to any significant degree is bullshit.

Is bullshit your favorite word now? I like motherfucker personally, but I don't incessantly utilize it. But I digress, my good friend. In a "gaming vacuum" they are. And I never said dialogue skills were used significantly, I said dialogue accomplished more.

Meanwhile, in both JE and KOTOR; it's pretty much used in every dialogue above the leave of random common met on the city streets.

Yeah, and it hardly works well. Even with a pitiful dialogue skill I can use the wonder of cyclical coversations to keep trying until it works, at least in KOTOR. And most of these hardly have any impact at all.

Even NWN's dialgues are LITTERED with dialogue skills/ability/feats that enhance role-playing.

Not when they lead to the same outcome as not using diplomacy. Neo-Bioware cliches come to my rescue again.

Lumpy

Arcane
Oblivion had better role-playing than Baldur's Gate.
Seriously.

Lumpy

Arcane
Baldur's Gate, up to the Forests of Faggotry, has one fucking choice. One. Whether or not you con your way through the bandit camp.
Let me repeat. One choice. One.
Of course, there are thousands other choices. Like should I wear platemail or leather? Be a Wizard or a Rogue? But none of those mean anything at all.
In Oblivion there are choices. Will you play the Mage and join their guild? The assassin? The Fighter, or the thief? And that choice has consequences. Not to mention that some quests can be done in multiple ways.
Oblivion shits on BG1 in the role-playing department. And Oblivion sucks at role-playing.
All Baldur's Gate 1 fans are retards. Those that think that BG1 is better than 2 are so retarded that... well, I can't really compare it to anything, because it's more retarded than everything imaginable.

Drakron

Arcane
Lumpy do not go that way ... you example is stupid since joining a guild give no roleplaying at all (there are not even skill requirements for anything), only opens up quests.

True, BG was linear but at least there were choices and consequences ... I remember how Edwin and Dynaheir were multiple exclusive, THAT was is no way present in Oblivion.

What we want is NOT having the cake and eat it too ... Oblivion does that, Baldur's Gate did not.

Lumpy

Arcane
Drakron said:
Lumpy do not go that way ... you example is stupid since joining a guild give no roleplaying at all (there are not even skill requirements for anything), only opens up quests.
What way? The free criticism of bullshit? I thought that's what the Codex was about.
As for joining a guild, it allows me to role-play different characters in various ways. My experience as a mage would have been different from that of an assassin in Oblivion (had I played both). In Baldur's Gate, it wouldn't have at all.

Drakron said:
True, BG was linear but at least there were choices and consequences ... I remember how Edwin and Dynaheir were multiple exclusive, THAT was is no way present in Oblivion.
Oh my God, I have to choose between generic mage A and generic mage B, none of which have anything to actually say? Truly the tyranny of choices.

Drakron said:
What we want is NOT having the cake and eat it too ... Oblivion does that, Baldur's Gate did not.
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Lumpy said:
Baldur's Gate, up to the Forests of Faggotry, has one fucking choice. One. Whether or not you con your way through the bandit camp.

Really now? If you are talking about staying on the storyline path, then yes. But aside from that, if you wander around even in the slightest you will have choices, albeit more minor ones.

Of course, there are thousands other choices. Like should I wear platemail or leather? Be a Wizard or a Rogue? But none of those mean anything at all.

Hmmmmm....wait for it.....these are exactly the choices in Oblivion.

In Oblivion there are choices.

Yeah....do I do the quest....or not?

Will you play the Mage and join their guild? The assassin? The Fighter, or the thief?

Doesn't matter because every character can do every damn thing.

And that choice has consequences.

Oh you have got to be fucking kidding. Are you daft? Consequence in Oblivion? This is a joke, right? Oh....wait.....it's not? That's just sad....

Not to mention that some quests can be done in multiple ways.

No they can't. You can use different tactics in completing your objective, but you can never shift the objective. Just about every CRPG ever made has done this, or actually allowed you to choose a different objective. And guess what? Baldur's Gate actually had quests with honest-to-goodness multiple solutions. I could talk, kill, or steal.

Oblivion shits on BG1 in the role-playing department.

No.....other way around.....unless, of course, you are a LARPer.

And Oblivion sucks at role-playing.

Why thank you Captain Obvious.

All Baldur's Gate 1 fans are retards.

Then by my reckoning you must really love Baldur's Gate....or you are just a dumbfuck.

Those that think that BG1 is better than 2 are so retarded that... well, I can't really compare it to anything, because it's more retarded than everything imaginable.

Oh I think you can imagine something very close by.

Lumpy

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:

Then by my reckoning you must really love Baldur's Gate....or you are just a dumbfuck.
Dirty fucking whore sluts can have children.
Your mother can have children.
Thus your mother is a dirty fucking whore slut.

Lumpy said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:

Dirty fucking whore sluts can have children.
Your mother can have children.
Thus your mother is a dirty fucking whore slut.

Okay....my logic was flawed, I'll admit that. I'll also admit it was a pretty shitty attempt at humor. But seriously....a "your mom" type of jab....how low are you falling?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom