Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dragon Age: A Turn Based RPG?

Spazmo

Erudite
Most people think NWN sucks? What the hell? I don't see how your friend Jason and some random Lineage 2 players are a representative sample of gamers at large. Your assumption is severely flawed there. Like Volourn said, the huge sales of the expansions show that NWN is popular.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
No treally, Spazmo. How many people do you know who still play the game or even cite the game as their favorite RPG of all time, hmm?

I'm sure I can come up with 500 people who will attest to Fallout or Fallout 2 being their favorite rpg of all time to each person you can find for NWN.

Sadly, no. The game isn't popular. It sold well, yes - but only because of hype and because of magazines which gave it ridiculously high scores. But how many of them still play it? With 80,000 people still playing Diablo 2 at any given moment, you would expect at least double that number of people playing NWN, but no... of all the copies of NWN sold, there are only less than 2,000 people actually even logged into NWN.

How many mainstream magazines do you know cite NWN as one of their favorite games? Hell, none that I can think of. I can't recall it being mentioned even once the June issue of PCGamer.

In all fairness you could compare NWN to taking a shit. Everyone takes a shit, but how many people actually want to talk about it, or even enjoy doing it? Hell, I wish there wasn't a need to take a shit. Ever.

suibhne

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Most people think NWN sucks? What the hell? I don't see how your friend Jason and some random Lineage 2 players are a representative sample of gamers at large. Your assumption is severely flawed there. Like Volourn said, the huge sales of the expansions show that NWN is popular.

Maybe it just shows that a bunch of demoralized gamers are desperately seeking to recoup their investment of time and money in the NWN OC. :lol:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Many people paid 70-80 dollars for NWN when it was first released. I'm sure more than a few of them were willing to go the distance by spending 20 dollars to recoup their investment on the intial cost.

Voss

Erudite
Who are these 'many' people that paid more than the retail price of the game?

And the number of people you personally know who play the game isn't really significant one way or the other. I'm surprised you'd even consider it a potential argument...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yep, "I asked my only real life friend and did a survey while playing a MMORPG" is not much of a proof that people worldwide hate NWN. On the other hand, it was entertaining, so...carry on :)

taks

Liturgist
Exitium said:
of all the copies of NWN sold, there are only less than 2,000 people actually even logged into NWN.

not everybody that plays logs onto the network. i've never played co-op or MP. in all reality, the majority of people that play NWN play it for the SP campaign. the MP community just happens to be VERY vocal.

btw, you'd be hard pressed to even find 500 people you know personally (as would anybody), let alone attesting to a game. that's one of them thar untestable statements, too, particularly since gaming sites tend to attract people that like a certain type of game or certain publisher. i.e. they're biased. NWVault is huge... even the regular posting crew at the bio boards is huge. 500:1 against NWN is unlikely, even in extreme circumstances... i'd say probably 1:1 is closer to reality.

this is in no way a promotion for NWN over FO (never played the latter, sci-fi ain't my thing)... just a BS meter going off on my computer :)

taks

taks

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
On the other hand, it was entertaining, so...carry on :)
4:45 on friday of memorial weekend looking for an excuse to bolt the building early ANYTHING is entertaining at the moment. i got about 10 forums i'm paging through dying for something new to read just to kill the time till i can successfully sneak out and hit the parking lot we like to call highway 25 south... damn RVs and boaters...

taks

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Wow, I wonder where this supposed majority is, all busily playing NWN, I suppose? I guess that's why nobody ever sees them. :roll:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tell you what, the majority of people who bought NWN and actually like it are D&D geeks, and there's a fuckload of those retards. But you know what, compared to the rest of the gaming population, they're still a minority. Yes, there's a LOT of them, but niches don't cut it.

Remember kids, NWN != KOTOR

KOTOR is mainstream and popular. Hell, even I like KOTOR. NWN is a niche product, and it sure as fuck doesn't fly with the majority of gamers out there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Ex, why do you lie? Any idiot can log onto BIo's board and see quite clearly that at any one time there are anywhere from 3k (very low number during slow periods during the day) to 6k + (at peak times). Why do you lie when the evidence is so squarely against you?

Not to mention, if everybody but a small minority who played the game thinks it sucks; why did the expansion sell so well? Were all the idoiots who thought NWN sucked decided hey why not it sucked but I'll buy the expansions anyways? OMG You *are* dumb. And, I can't beleive I was dumb enough to think you be smart.

And, nowhere did I seriously state that *everyone* likes NWN as much as I do. All i said that all evidence shows that most people who played NWN do like it despite its fault. You could quote Bob Nortyon the 87th from down the street all you want; it won't prove anything.

edit: In fact, to show how full of garbage you are, there are 4942 NWN players online at this moment. Kinda blows your whole 2k theory to pieces right? Seriously, you should stop using numbers you pull from your ass to try to prove a ppoint. It's not just embarrassing for you; but embarrasing for me too having to waste my time on you. heck, even those who dislike NWN like Spazmo know the game is popular. It's also almost *always* in the top 5 on Gamespy (and rarely falls lower than that).

Once again, stop lying. Sad, real sad. The end of the Exitium Era is upon us. :cry:

On top of this, BIo has stated claerly, that their main customer base is single player gamers hence the whole HOTU fiasco. Just because the other purchasers didn't play NWN online doesn't mean they do not enjoy it. Hate to break it to you buddy but from what I've ehard KOTOR sales while more than NWN aren't so more to make it much of a difference espicially when you cosndier it had the luxry of being on two ssytems and I know some fools who actually bought both versions of KOTOR. Dummies as theya re.

And KOTOR is more "mianstream' because SW is more "mainstream' than D&d. Then again, NWN has won quite a few awards from both critics and gaming fans. But, yeah, that doesn't prove that most people who played the game don't like it. :roll:

Seriously, stop smoking the dope. :twisted:

P.S. This si fun. Very rarely is it this easy to poke fun at a RPGCodexer. Thanks Exitium. :D

P.S.S. I await for your 'retort".

Dhruin

Liturgist
The number of online players listed proves nothing, anyway. You simply can't count the small groups playing with a direct-connection.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Shhh.. Don't say that. You don't want to embarass the poor kid anymore. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom