Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dragon Age: A Turn Based RPG?

Spazmo

Erudite
Come on, Volourn, don't try to tell us the NWN henchman AI wasn't completely suicidal. Tomi would always be a few rooms ahead of me getting killed by Generic Monster Horde #4476 while I was organising my potions, prompting a hasty return to the temple of thingy every five minutes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
My first (and only time) to complete the OC; my npc henchmen died no more than 10 times. And, that was Sharwyn. I've tried the others but haven't gone all the way through either due to computer problems which caused save losts, and eventually just ebcause I was bored with it.

Then again, the entire conversation was about the BG series AI and the red herring of NWN was thrown in there. Still, NWN's AI while not perfect is still better than most games' AI.

If your Tomi acted like that; you need help because when i played with him he surely didn't do that. Seriously, are you guys even aware of the NPC radial Control Menu? LMAO Don't whine about stuff until you actually know what you are talking about. :roll:

P.S. Once aagin, to make it eprfectly clear, I do not think NWN AI was perfect. In fact, there were certaina spects I ahted. The one thing that X pointed out that was actually correct was the wasting of every spell at every enemy seen no matter how much of waste it was. That was poor AI at work. But, hey, feel free to ignore that bit of criticism in my post as that would not fit your view of me. :roll:

Anonymous

You people sure did pick up on Rosh's common phrases..

Tomi was an idiot, he'd spend all day disarming every single trap in a room, even if I a path was already cleared.

And stop using Rolleyes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Get people to stop saying silly things that deserve a rollseyes and I will. Or better yet whine to the Board Bosses to ban it. Up to you. Either way I'll survive. :shock:

Jed

Cipher
Bullshit, Volourn. I used the fucking radial menu, I used the fucking conversation options ("Stay fucking close, you fucking idiot!"), I even hot-keyed the motherfuckers. Which is really the only thing that works, but if that is true, then the depth of BioWare's ability to write AI is laid bare in all of its poverty.

By the way, your magical computer that can't run Troika games but makes BioWare NPCs have functional AI is an Amazing Magical Machine. Where'd ya get it?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
xJEDx said:
By the way, your magical computer that can't run Troika games but makes BioWare NPCs have functional AI is an Amazing Magical Machine. Where'd ya get it?
From Bioware?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
What ya babbling about X? You drunk or something? My computer ran Arcanum just fine. Why do you lie so much? Tsk, tsk.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I tried the "Sray close to me" option over and over again as well.. Tomi would still charge in to a room or down a hall, then stop and turn around to run back to me. This resulted in him drawing all those critters out to fight. Since he was in front, he typically died.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
WOW! I musta gotten one of those magical working copies. WOWSERS! When I said stand there they stood there unless theyw ere attacked or got an aoo on someone.. hMM..

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
WOW! I musta gotten one of those magical working copies. WOWSERS! When I said stand there they stood there unless theyw ere attacked or got an aoo on someone.. hMM..
You're so fucking full of shit. And no, I'm not drunk--I'm kicking soda, which is making me really fucking angry!!a;a;glkhaer;h'!1;oiyhgag arrrgh!!!!!

Spazmo

Erudite
Jesus Christ, Volourn, give it up. The fact of the matter is that the henchmen in NWN were flat-out suicidal due to their horrendous AI. They practically never did what you wanted them to do and were generally a pain in the ass.

Rosh

Erudite
Volourn said:
*yawn* poor Ross makes a fool of himself. I never said NWN's AI was perfect. Then again, we were discussing BG series combat 9most specifically BG2) and then people try to change subjects. Talk about lame.

Context, Scabs, context.

That said, you still suck. I had absolutely no problem keeping my mages and archers out of melee except in rare circumsatnces. But, hey, if you want to bring up the red herring of NWN when you want to cover your crappiness in playuing BG2; that's your problem not mine.

So you're trying to cover up your lies about the pathfinding and and excusing the lack of any attention to the constructs of the original material, but with lies about the AI in NWN? You're rated at a Pathetic^3 by now.

Mostly everyone here has seen the problems personally, most people wouldn't even bother trying to lie to us. That is, unless you're trying to impress some vacant virtual cunt on IRC you're trying to get into the pants of. "Look, you're not wrong! I agree with you! Wanna cyber?" You can be honest with us, we're mostly grown-ups around here (well, I don't know about you). It's Melanie again, isn't it? You sick puppy.

Who knew you were so entirely pathetic to use such blatant lies to those who know better, in exchange for uh...someone's virtual panty tent?

Good job...I think.

Voss

Erudite
Actually, Vol is correct. The 'stand your ground' command (as opposed to 'follow me') does pin the henchman in place. The don't do anything unless attacked.
If they've already triggered enemies you're kinda out of luck, but if used judiciously with follow or attack, you can keep the NPCs behind you.

It isn't really an effect of the AI- just a matter of personally managing your minions. Left uncontrolled they tend to charge blindly.

suibhne

Erudite
Exitium said:
If it truly is Pause and Play then why don't they just come out and say it? After all, there really wasn't any difference between KOTOR and BG...

I think I'm with you on that. The combat architecture was exactly the same; the only differences were the interface (which sucked in KotOR), camera angle (which sucked in KotOR), and content (combat options - which sucked in KotOR).

The more I think about it, the less I can figure out the difference between Dragon Age's "exploration" and "tactical" views other than camera angle. I don't think adding a BG-style overhead view does a damn thing unless Bioware can create a robust and feature-rich combat system, which also means a robust and feature-rich character system. And on that score, I'm mighty skeptical.

Btw, I don't think that BG's combat was stellar, but it was a far sight better than either NWN or KotOR - and the whole conversation on the previous page started with The TO posting that BG's combat was damn tootin' tactical and others immediately arguing with him by citing examples from NWN. We all know that NWN is TEH SUCK!!!11 (well, everyone except Volourn), so I'd say that donkey is dead and bloated.

taks

Liturgist
suibhne said:
- and the whole conversation on the previous page started with The TO posting that BG's combat was damn tootin' tactical and others immediately arguing with him by citing examples from NWN.
odd it was the argument progressed as it did...

i think, btw, that their description is saying RT with pause for DA. i never minded it so no biggie for me. still better than FPS type games, IMO.

We all know that NWN is TEH SUCK!!!11 (well, everyone except Volourn), so I'd say that donkey is dead and bloated.
well, depends on which volourn you're referring to. there's multiple personalities there, ya know... :)

taks

Snuffles

Novice
Volourn may talk a lot of rubbish, but he is correct, there was a stand still command in NWN, I technically don't consider it part of the AI, as the main function of the player's command is to stop the AI doing anything.

This is why in DA you get full combat control of party members just like in BG2.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Snuffles said:
Volourn may talk a lot of rubbish, but he is correct, there was a stand still command in NWN.
That's not the issue. We all know there was such a command in the game, the problem is it it worked or not.

Spazmo

Erudite
Even if there was a "don't do anything you fuckwit or you'll just fuck everything up like you always do you dumb shit" button, that doesn't excuse anything. When I hire a henchman, I'm not expecting to have to babysit him and make sure he doesn't do anything abominably stupid. I hire a henchman to disarm traps and back me up in combat. A "STOP!" button is no substitute for poor AI.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Speaking of Volourn and NWN. He's the only person who thinks that NWN is an 'awesome' RPG and claims that its only us Codexers who think otherwise, and that the majority of gamers out there herald NWN as the messiah of all things RPG.

Well, you know what? I have to drop the hammer on the subject and say out right that he is wrong. Everyone I've spoken to about RPGs in real life (my friend Jason), and online (in Lineage 2) would attest to NWN being total and utter crap. Hyped to the high hells, but utter crap nonetheless. It's ugly, pointless, and SUPREMELY boring. I don't get where Volourn comes up with the idea that NWN is one of the best RPGs out there, and claims that most people think the same way about it as he does. Hell no, they don't.

Now, he has every right to assert his right to wanting to make sloppy love to David Gaider's fluffy meat-package, and he has every right to be romantically inclined towards Neverwinter Nights but really, claiming that most people like it with us being the sole exceptions? Bullshit, I say. Bullshit.

taks

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Well, you know what? I have to drop the hammer on the subject and say out right that he is wrong. Everyone I've spoken to about RPGs in real life (my friend Jason), and online (in Lineage 2) would attest to NWN being total and utter crap. Hyped to the high hells, but utter crap nonetheless. It's ugly, pointless, and SUPREMELY boring. I don't get where Volourn comes up with the idea that NWN is one of the best RPGs out there, and claims that most people think the same way about it as he does. Hell no, they don't.

whether you like it or not, exitium, all of the above "testimonials" are nothing more than opinion. even volourn's. so to say volourn is "wrong" because the opinion expressed differs from your survey results constitutes flawed logic (promoting the subjective to the objective). neither of you are right OR wrong. opinion is just that, opinion. totally subjective. my personal opinion agrees with neither yours nor volourns (i think it's just bland...)

oh, and btw, based on a small survey of a few friends, i don't think you can really say that most people do OR don't agree with you. given that about a milliion copies of the game have been sold, i'd say there are probably a lot of people that DO think the game is great. hang out at the bioware boards and i'm sure you'll find that to be true...

taks

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Exitium lies aagin. I have never ever stated that the OC was awesome. I think overall it's one of the best crpgs. Why do you lie Ex and stretch the truth?

And, as Taks pointed, your imaginary friends' opinions ar ejust opinions. The fact that both NWN expansions sold rather sell kinda proves that NWN is pretty popular.

Poor Ex is embarassed because he was schooled as per usual. You relaly don't know what youa re talking about and ranting and talking about man love (all the while having Cain's dick in your mouth :P ) kinda proves that.

Espicially sicne BIO doesn't even like me that much.

Not to mention I criticize BIO's games my share. Perhaps you should read my opinions on KOTOR. Or WW. Or SOU. Are you that blind? Or stupid? Or both?

Have fun. I know as well as this is very fun. :cool:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
taks said:
Blah blah blah everyone has an opinion blah blah blah

If you read my message, and I'm assuming that you have, which can only mean that you suffer from some form of verbal comprehension disability, then you would have known that I was contesting Volourn's statements (which are not in this thread, but in many other threads long before this) about HIS opinion being in the majority, whereas the opinions of all who opposed this so-called 'majority' were in therefore, the minority of opinions.

Now, it's anyone's guess what Bob or Joe might have on their minds when it comes to NWN, but the plain and simple fact is that the majority of people would disagree with Volourn's assessment of Neverwinter Nights (in the case of it being one of the best RPGs ever made), so therefore his statements attesting to the aforementioned claim are simply rendered as mere fabrications. Most people think NWN sucks. Period.

If you had learned to read, or perhaps overcome your developmental disability with verbal comprehension, you would have known what I was referring to, before you decided to shoot your mouth off, as you always do.

Edit: To annotate my point I would state that the Bioware boards are in that minority of people who share the same opinion about Neverwinter Nights as our dear little Volourn. The fact is that most people, which is to say people outside of the Bioware forums, would hold entirely opposite opinions to those on the Bioware forums.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom