Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

buzz

Arcane
I meant Helpful as in actually other people tagged their reviews as Helpful. As in:
33 of 43 people (77%) found this review helpful
16 Negative reviews in a row are considered most helpful by Steam users.
The user score on Metacritic is 5.4

I don't know why you keep bothering me with this shit anyway. Did you actually play the game? I did, and I found it boring and buggy as shit. It was a waste of my time.

Why are you defending a game only because it is made by Double Fine? If you like their shitty incomplete games, that's fine by me. But stop bothering us with flimsy arguments about why our opinions on this retarded company are wrong. You had some fair points a few years ago but now you're just pathetic.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did anyone actually get the game now that it released or the thread will be only for DF bashing? I'm kinda interested, I want an XCOM substitute until November

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Did anyone actually get the game now that it released or the thread will be only for DF bashing? I'm kinda interested, I want an XCOM substitute until November
Got the not removed from inventory version. It's really banal and not very interesting. If you want a turn-based strategy game where you outfit and upgrade units, you should go check out Battle Brothers or Invisible inc. They're both solid indie strategy games that try new things and are actually entertaining and challenging to play. Or if you haven't played it already, there's also Xenonauts.

I used to assume J_C was just stupid. But the way he's actively encouraging people to spend their money on bad games he doesn't even play himself is downright malicious.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I meant Helpful as in actually other people tagged their reviews as Helpful. As in:
33 of 43 people (77%) found this review helpful
16 Negative reviews in a row are considered most helpful by Steam users.
The user score on Metacritic is 5.4

I don't know why you keep bothering me with this shit anyway. Did you actually play the game? I did, and I found it boring and buggy as shit. It was a waste of my time.

Why are you defending a game only because it is made by Double Fine? If you like their shitty incomplete games, that's fine by me. But stop bothering us with flimsy arguments about why our opinions on this retarded company are wrong. You had some fair points a few years ago but now you're just pathetic.
I bought and played the game yesterday, and I think it is OK. And son, this is the Massive Chalice thread, this is the place where I can talk about it, or DF.

But the way he's actively encouraging people to spend their money on bad games he doesn't even play himself is downright malicious.
First, I played it. Second, I never encouraged anyone to buy anything.

I want an XCOM substitute until November
This is not it. Massive Chalice is more light hearted and less complex.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got the not removed from inventory version. It's really banal and not very interesting. If you want a turn-based strategy game where you outfit and upgrade units, you should go check out Battle Brothers or Invisible inc. They're both solid indie strategy games that try new things and are actually entertaining and challenging to play. Or if you haven't played it already, there's also Xenonauts.

I used to assume J_C was just stupid. But the way he's actively encouraging people to spend their money on bad games he doesn't even play himself is downright malicious.
I've got Invisible Inc but it gives me more Shadowrun vibes than XCOM. Not that it's not awesome, just doesn't cover that need exactly. Battle Brothers I will get on release, I'm against Early Access stuff.
Even the whole bloodline situation is not worth a spin? I thought I could eugene my way to the ultra race of caberjacks or what they're called

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-02-massive-chalice-review

As with any game that monkeys around with the familiar rhythms of a beloved genre, your enjoyment of Massive Chalice will depend largely on your willingness to meet its bigger ideas halfway. Most notably, you need to accept that it's more about making the best of a flawed hand than building a perfect system. It's frustrating when your two most powerful warriors spawn a dim-witted weakling, but you have to make do. So much of what you're given to work with is random, and every pro has a significant con attached, but it's always your decision making that decides the larger, long term outcomes.

It's certainly a much tougher game than it appears, and in your first few games you can expect to get tripped up by the multiple aspects you need to keep in balance, leaving you with a shallow gene pool of new recruits or worse, no new recruits at all. The game could perhaps do a better job of representing the enormous amount of variables in play, but it's something that becomes easier once you've eased yourself in.

Basically, the game asks a lot of you, and demands that you pay close attention to every decision you make. While that makes for a steep learning curve, requiring deep thought is hardly the worst sin a strategy game can commit. Slyly funny, satisfyingly deep and yet slick and simple to play, Massive Chalice is a huge return to form for a studio that is overdue a comeback.

recommended-large-net.png

A demanding and ingenious twist on turn-based strategy sees Double Fine back at its best.

Game is now #17th best seller. :M

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Anyone who has played this willing to forego all the lame drama and tell us, preferably with some detail, what they think of the actual game?

And Euro Truck Simulator 2 is an awesome game. Heathens.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Would ya be kind to share your opinion of this thing Zombra
I haven't played it enough to give the level of detail Trash would want, but I did look at it a little in beta. Here's what I remember:

The combat reminded me of the 2012 XCOM, in a good way. The character classes are strange and fresh, and the setting feels fresh. I didn't play enough to decide whether the multigenerational thing will make me more attached or less attached to my characters. I liked the idea of royalist eugenics - breeding my favorite characters together to produce tough or interesting offspring.

Definitely on my list to invest time into. Also I asked on the official forums and some guy said that the release version should be polished and playable, and there are no plans for an Enhanced Edition or whatever at this time, so after the inevitable few critical post-release patches, might as well go ahead and play it.

Right now I want to finish Survivalist before I start playing a new game though.

buzz

Arcane
I really wonder why do they fail financially so hard. I mean, it's one thing to be scum and make sub-par games. But I don't see how the fuck would that translate in smaller numbers of games sold, that doesn't happen to anyone else out there.

Seriously, even Gary's fucking Mod is outselling them now. How is that even possible? How many 5 people are buying GM at an given day in 2015?

belated

Augur
I'm guessing it's mostly the 'scum' part. Since this game actually looks more interesting than much of their other stuff.

Not interesting enough to buy it by far though.

Whiran

Magister
I really wonder why do they fail financially so hard. I mean, it's one thing to be scum and make sub-par games. But I don't see how the fuck would that translate in smaller numbers of games sold, that doesn't happen to anyone else out there.

Seriously, even Gary's fucking Mod is outselling them now. How is that even possible? How many 5 people are buying GM at an given day in 2015?
DF upset a -lot- of gamers and combine that with the Broken Age fiasco the folk who might be interested in Massive Chalice are staying well away. If someone is on the line about buying the game they are choosing not to simply because it is a Double Fine product. I know that's exactly what my reaction was and is - a healthy dose of suspicion erring on the side of NOPE.

When you go to the massive chalice forum to look you see a lot of comments about Double Fine's past performance. Almost every single thread has at least one person bringing up Double Fine's past in it.

Personally, I think that the paltry sales of Massive Chalice are a direct result of Double Fine's past (and present) and how they are now perceived by the gaming community at large. The way that Massive Chalice devs were responding to people in their Steam forum doesn't earn them any brownie points either.

As an aside, for whatever reason tons of people continue to buy Garry's Mod. I don't know why but it's a thing. Even as I write this Garry's mod is in the top ten played games on Steam in the past 24 hours.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Just like it outsells Skyrim and PoE. Your point?

buzz

Arcane

Just like it outsells Skyrim and PoE. Your point?
Pillars of Eternity was released 2 months ago and Skyrim almost 4 years ago. Your point?

I sincerely am fascinated by the utter retardation some of the posts J_C makes sometimes. It really feels like I'm talking with a guy who was dropped on his head as kid. Then again, he's a filthy bozgor magyar so it comes with the territory.

Luka-boy

Arcane
GM is pretty popular with popular lolrandom Youtubers, who are always checking the latest mods, skins, servers etc. You are pretty much guaranteed to find at least one GM video among the trending gaming videos in Youtube at any given time. In fact I just checked:
1b8pjh.jpg

That alone is enough to guarantee a constant stream of people buying the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Pillars of Eternity was released 2 months ago and Skyrim almost 4 years ago. Your point?
Yeah, but they are well loved and well received games which still sell well. My point was that Garry's mod still outsells a lot of big games, so it outselling Massive Chalice means nothing.

I sincerely am fascinated by the utter retardation some of the posts J_C makes sometimes. It really feels like I'm talking with a guy who was dropped on his head as kid. Then again, he's a filthy bozgor magyar so it comes with the territory.
Oh yeah, lets get personal. You are now shitting on my nationality. Don't stop there, you can still shit on my family and mother. Show the Codex how big boy you are. You are obviously trying to gather as much KKK as you can, so do it. Or are you a pussy?

buzz

Arcane
But Gary's Mod didn't outsell Pillars of Eternity 2/3 days after it was fucking released, that's the main goddamn difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom