Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

sser

Arcane
Developer
Releasing a game to a select few PC players sounds like an invitation for people to just pirate the shit out of your game.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I still don't understand how the dynasty system works with same sex marriages.
Well they could probably reasonably have it happen by a parent passing down equipment and techniques. No idea how they plan on it working since honestly for as much as I liked hearing about the concept I just don't care enough to remember info about this.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Backers are truly delighted by the news. After all, more money for development and more gamers that get to enjoy the game! 'sup J_C?
I always knew this game was a scam, I told it from the beginning. That's why I only pledged 1 dollar, so at least I can see the updates.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You know, it's stuff like this that really strengthens my resolve to launch a Kickstarter to support my penis. For the low, low price.... er pledge, you too can support my boner.

Bt

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And yet it doesn't evaporate. I'm convinced Tim Schaefer could verbally insult every single person that backs his games and take a dump on their lawns and people would still throw money at him.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And yet it doesn't evaporate. I'm convinced Tim Schaefer could verbally insult every single person that backs his games and take a dump on their lawns and people would still throw money at him.
b-but grimfandango (a game which probably half of the massive chalice backers haven't even played)

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The good news about Grim Fandango is that given that's a consolecentric port they'll certainly keep the wonderful tank controls.

Good, excellent news.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fuck Grim Fandango. I actually remember when Monkey Island came out and became the Next Big Thing. Mostly from a poster at a shop though. Didn't play it until much later. Apparantly the poster really did click with teenage me.

Poster-MonkeyIsland1.jpg

Then again. It is awesome.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck Grim Fandango. I actually remember when Monkey Island came out and became the Next Big Thing. Mostly from a poster at a shop though. Didn't play it until much later. Apparantly the poster really did click with little me.

Then again. It is awesome.
Monkey Island is Ron Gilbert's baby though. Shafer just worked on it.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only conclusion I can really come to at this point is that Schaefer just got old, and lost interest in really pushing things creatively. I mean, he's either directly or tangentially responsible for some of the greatest games of all time, so I can only conclude that the spark dimmed a bit somewhere along the line.

That's probably my biggest issue with the Kickstarter thing in general -- while it's certainly allowed a resurgence of classic games, it's a platform where most of the money goes to the 'old guard', and while there's nothing theoretically wrong with that it's pretty challenging for new and enthusiastic talents to break in, and those are the kind of people who gave us the classics in the first place.

tuluse

Arcane
The only conclusion I can really come to at this point is that Schaefer just got old, and lost interest in really pushing things creatively. I mean, he's either directly or tangentially responsible for some of the greatest games of all time, so I can only conclude that the spark dimmed a bit somewhere along the line.

That's probably my biggest issue with the Kickstarter thing in general -- while it's certainly allowed a resurgence of classic games, it's a platform where most of the money goes to the 'old guard', and while there's nothing theoretically wrong with that it's pretty challenging for new and enthusiastic talents to break in, and those are the kind of people who gave us the classics in the first place.
I think he was thinking about saving his company and tried to play it safe.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
You'd need a good developer studio filled with passion for money the genre to filter the new and young talent. Alas, that's hard to come by nowadays. At least, hard to find one studio with the money to invest like in the golden days (Sierra, Lucasarts).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was excited for this, now I will take the wait and see approach. This and what happened with Broken Age does not inspire confidence in Double Fine.

Tytus

Arcane
A woman stands beside her man's throne but doesn't get her own throne. I CALL SEXISM!!

:ehue:

buzz

Arcane
Their offices look so great, I wonder how did they afford all of that :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom