Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

Tytus

Arcane
Biodrones have hijacked Massive Chalice. It's probably because when they read "Mass-" in the title they thought this will be a gayme. Like those gaymes Bioware creates. Honest mistake.

Cassidy

Arcane
Popamole game designer, mentioning Firaxis' XCOM, no real tradition or experience with the strategy genre...

I'll be surprised if this doesn't end like shit.

Tytus

Arcane
Popamole game designer, mentioning Firaxis' XCOM, no real tradition or experience with the strategy genre...

I'll surprised if this doesn't end like shit.

It's the new fad right, mention known games to get some traction, even if you really haven't done anything like it before yet. It's getting annoying.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They should have same sex marriages, and if you use them you get no offspring and then you lose the game because of underpowered heroes.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Massive Chalice indeed +M

cupface.gif

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's a can of worms here with menopause vs hero effective age too.

edit: oh wait, no females? How reactionary.

Tytus

Arcane
Have fun:

So, to respond: thanks for the reply, Chris. I understand that it’s not a relationship simulator, and I see your point but can you at least see how the subtext of: “same sex couples might exist, but the only way to be a useful member of society and protect our future is to settle down and have kids” might be a little troubling? I know it’s not what’s intended by the mechanic, but it is a side effect of it.
Cards on the table: I’m a gay guy and I have been lucky in that I’ve never suffered much because of it. But I still have to deal with society’s assumptions about what you need to do to be the most productive member of society. One of the things that closeted gay people hear over and over again is “hey, when are you going to settle down and have kids?” or even when they’re younger it’s talked about like it’s an inevitability.
So maybe that’s why what seems to most people like an innocuous and innovative game mechanic seems to me like you’re accidentally making a game about making the best possible heterosexuals.

No, he is right. Include gay heroes in the game. That's a great idea. Gay heroes because they can't or won't produce children can stay on the battlefield and cover for those heroes who go back home. This way all gay heroes will die out really fast being the meat shield for hetero heroes. The gene pool will be cleansed, and the overall society will be better off. :troll:

Tytus

Arcane
Add some Succubi as a demon class that can turn your heroes against you. Gay heroes have immunity to Succubi. But they can fall prey to Incubi. :P The difference is. Hetero hero can have kids with Succubi and create anti-heroes, one of the strongest enemy units in the game. Gay heroes just take it in the ass...
eCzpcD.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This again? I hope the developers are not retarded to give them an-

Project Director Brad said:

THIS THREAD IS AWESOME.

I want the game to be extremely inclusive. We crafted a message about biological sex equality for the FAQ and put it up yesterday evening. But I realize that’s not the whole story!

We haven’t said anything about same sex couples because I’m not sure how it would work yet! But it’s another aspect of being inclusive that I really want to see worked into the game.
I'm calling INCLUSIVE the 2013 spawn of MAJESTIC.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I think that post has greatly reduced the likelihood that I will contribute to the game. Not because I have any issue with your heroes having the potential to take a few levels in the Rump Ranger class, but rather because the lead designer is chomping at the bit to make nonsensical design decisions based on some wrongheaded appeal to political correctness.

kris

Arcane
Yeah, I think that post has greatly reduced the likelihood that I will contribute to the game. Not because I have any issue with your heroes having the potential to take a few levels in the Rump Ranger class, but rather because the lead designer is chomping at the bit to make nonsensical design decisions based on some wrongheaded appeal to political correctness.

I tend not to care about these small time issues and I am very good at ignoring dumb opinions. Yet I have to agree with you that this is pretty troubling. why can't he just explain that this is a game-mechanic? Almost like a breeding mini-game. In fact gamers can roleplay their characters as being gay as much as they want, all they need to do is have them outside a relationship... Hell, they can still roleplay that in their mind (like a TES player) when their Little guy is in a relationship. but just saying it is a game mechanic is all that is needed to be said.

DraQ

Arcane
Biodrones have hijacked Massive Chalice. It's probably because when they read "Mass-" in the title they thought this will be a gayme. Like those gaymes Bioware creates. Honest mistake.
Serves them right for using such title.
:smug:

No, he is right. Include gay heroes in the game. That's a great idea. Gay heroes because they can't or won't produce children can stay on the battlefield and cover for those heroes who go back home. This way all gay heroes will die out really fast being the meat shield for hetero heroes. The gene pool will be cleansed, and the overall society will be better off. :troll:
Actually, you had ancient Greeks though they were generally more bi.

They also did essentially this:
Gay heroes could get morale boosts when fighting alongside their husbands. Victory at sea!
Except replace "husband" with "lover".

Hell, if you make sexual orientation into actual mechanics, I'm all for it.
Maybe you can have a gay dude that's actually awesome, but doesn't really into procreation so tha best you can hope for in terms of continuation of his badassitude are his more distant relatives who might be not as full of awesome traits.

Of course, someone, somewhere will complain that it isn't fair that his gay heroes cannot into procreation.
:hearnoevil:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I woke up feeling rebelious, I'll play my poor thirdworldian latino role and make those white, rich gays check their privilege. :smug:

Tytus

Arcane
Serves them right for using such title.
:smug:

Actually, you had ancient Greeks though they were generally more bi.

They also did essentially this:
Gay heroes could get morale boosts when fighting alongside their husbands. Victory at sea!
Except replace "husband" with "lover".

Hell, if you make sexual orientation into actual mechanics, I'm all for it.
Maybe you can have a gay dude that's actually awesome, but doesn't really into procreation so tha best you can hope for in terms of continuation of his badassitude are his more distant relatives who might be not as full of awesome traits.

Of course, someone, somewhere will complain that it isn't fair that his gay heroes cannot into procreation.
:hearnoevil:

If you really want to add Homosexual Heroes - do that Succibi/Incubi system I proposed.

Homosexual can't have children so they won't produce any linege heroes but because they are homosexuals they also don't produces anti-heroes when converted.

I would actually implement a system when a Hero the longer he spends fighting and the older he gets - the lonelier he gets and the procentage of him being seduced by Succubi/Incuiby rises. For example the max could be up 15-20%. A Hero that fought years and years against those demons and never had a chance to start a family dreams of it, and the more he dreams of it, the more likely Succubi/Incubi spells will work with him.

But here is the kicker when a hero has been seduced he isn't fighting against you. Demons would use the same mechanic that the player uses. So the hero would just disappear from the map (just like you a retire a hero to start a family), but a generation later a half-demon anti hero appears. So when you see you lost a hetero hero to a succubi you have time to prepare for the anti-hero. (More strategic choices) Homo Heroes have the disadvatage of not producing children but also have the advantage that if they are seduced by an Incubus they won't produce an anti-hero. And also have larger chance to oppose seduction because they don't have the need to start a traditional family, and being with their lover on the field (other gay hero) is more fulfilling for them.

And if we add the idea of paring in battle with their lovers. Gay heroes could be more effective on the battlefield than a standard starting hetero hero, to counter balance their lack of lineage. But here I would stress the point that a well driven lineage can give you an awesome hetero hero that is better than any gay hero, cause he has all those generations of gear/experiance/tradition.

So in short:

- Gay heroes better than first and/or second generation hetero heroes.
- Later generations hetero heroes better than gay heroes.

We would also need to have some mechanic that would to calculate the chances of a gay hero being born in every generation.

:balance:

Tytus

Arcane
Tytus What you described kinda reminds me of the Beowulf movie from 2007

But, but...

Angelina Jolie removed her breats, so she wouldn't be a good Succubus anymore. Therefore it's totally different.

But seriously, yeah. The comparison is actually accurate. Though I didn't have that movie in mind when I was writing my post.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just make gay heroes get characteristics from one 'parent'. Works well enough for lesbians, works well enough for closet explorers.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Homo warriors will adopt new honourable characters, teaching them the way of the sword. Problem solved.
After their first KS, and seeing how the money is being managed, I wouldn't toss a dime on this one.

It's time to drink, from the massive chalice of butthurt.

DraQ

Arcane
Just make gay heroes get characteristics from one 'parent'. Works well enough for lesbians, works well enough for closet explorers.
So gays are going to be superior becaause they replicate their characteristics flawlessly by budding?
Tsk. Tsk.

Homo warriors will adopt new honourable characters, teaching them the way of the sword. Problem solved.
Good, but then their "offspring" should have base stats far more randomized.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder how this will go. Double Fine has released even less information about Broken Age, and it seems to have gotten a less enthusiastic response than InXile has with their vertical slice video (note: my perception is mainly based on the codex, and Toro is trolling hard in the DFA thread).

Chill out. I did not post on that thread for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom