Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime DotA 2 vs LoL

Well he can't fuck up the game any more than Morello already is right now. Right?
A week ago I'd say there's a bit of room for beating Morello but the fucker has just modified Anivia's autoattack particle speed.
Nerfing one of the auto-attacks that can be used to harass enemies under their tower? Thanks Morello, why not just give all champions a standard particle speed while you are at it.
:rpgcodex:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"Competitive" games in these days are about earning money, not ability to play the game.

wut

you need to be skilled at the game to play competitively.

Yes, but that's not what I was talking about You don't decide to play a game professionally because it's "hard" but because it earns you money. Therefore a competitive game isn't necessarily the game with the hardest competitive environment and vice versa. Ability required to play the game on a high level is of secondary concern.

People do not play LoL because it's hard and it's only their glorious ability that enables them to be good, but because they can earn money by playing it it. LoL itself is piss-easy, which is part of the reason it has so many players in the first place.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"Competitive" games in these days are about earning money, not ability to play the game.

wut

Yes, but that's not what I was talking about You don't decide to play a game professionally because it's "hard" but because it earns you money. Therefore a competitive game isn't necessarily the game with the hardest competitive environment and vice versa. Ability required to play the game on a high level is of secondary concern.

People do not play LoL because it's hard and it's only their glorious ability that enables them to be good, but because they can earn money by playing it it. LoL itself is piss-easy, which is part of the reason it has so many players in the first place.
FFS people, explain this to me. How the fuck can a game be easy for both sides at the same time? If it's balanced then it is as hard as the enemy allows it to be. Am I wrong?

And to earn money in pro-play you have to win, at least from time to time. So having skilled players is kind of important. Is this "the only people in pro-games are celebrities" stuff based on anything? I don't watch streams, but I'm guessing that most of them are as popular as they are, because of their activity in tournaments, not the other way around.

uaciaut

Augur

This is the most retarded shit i've read in a long time

Ninjerk

Arcane

wut

FFS people, explain this to me. How the fuck can a game be easy for both sides at the same time? If it's balanced then it is as hard as the enemy allows it to be. Am I wrong?

And to earn money in pro-play you have to win, at least from time to time. So having skilled players is kind of important. Is this "the only people in pro-games are celebrities" stuff based on anything? I don't watch streams, but I'm guessing that most of them are as popular as they are, because of their activity in tournaments, not the other way around.
Granted, I haven't played LoL in years, but the difference in easiness/hardness as I far as I can tell is that characters are locked into their roles a bit more in DotA and it's quite a bit more esoteric. BKB gives magic immunity with a shit ton of exceptions that were made for balance reasons, NOT ease of use (sometimes BKB blocks damage from a skill but not an accompanying stun/silence/disable while other spells will be uncastable on the unit with BKB while it's activated).

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Only seven pages in a lol/dota thread? Damn, Codex really mellowed out over winter. Did all the spergs hibernate?

Cromwell

Arcane

Theres a difference between a game beeing hard and your opponents being very good at it making it hard for you to win against them. I dont know much about LoL, everytime I played it it seemed easy for me, but since I played at the bottom where you start thats no real measurement. What I do know is that Dota has a ton of mechanics which it explains very badly or not at all to you if you just played it like the exceptins to the magic immunity from a bkb, how random a perentage truly is in this game or isnt etc.

The real difficulty comes from memorizing all this shit and beeing able to analyze a situation ingame and use knowledge mostly aquired out of game effectivly and immeadiately. If you play with players that suck, like myself and the people I get in my teams at my shit ranking, the first thing you will notice is that they mostly suck at decion making. Take away the punishment for a bad decision and the game gets easier, but that doesnt mean its not hard for someone to win against me if hes worse at the game.

uaciaut

Augur
Every time i see this subject brought up i always expect to see a large chunk (not all) of retarded autistic dota2 fans that cannot accept the fact that LoL is the more popular game - since Riot pumps more money in it first and foremost - so they start bringing up these ridiculous arguments of how dota is the "better" game in all aspects, it's the saddest fucking display of inferiority complex i've seen. If dota2 is clearly the "better" game then fuck off and play it, don't fucking spend time on the internet advocating your insecurity for fucks sake.

As for the games themselves, i genuinely like both, Dota1 (the wc3 map) was the first moba i played and it was genuinely the funnest multiplayer game i had ever played. It kinda died off at one point for me and later on i picked LoL since it was free (and not in permanent beta) and got to enjoy it. I play Dota2 as well at the moment a bit and enjoy watching TI every year, though i play LoL and keep up with the competitive scene of it more.
Key points for me that differentiate the games:

Micro vs Mechanics. LoL has next to no summonable/controllable non-champion units, and the few it does have do not use any special abilities, Dota2 has plenty of summonable shit + you can take control of neutral creeps and micromanage them. Dota on the other hand has next to no skill-shots (non-direct target abilities), LoL is full of them.

If you look at competitive games this generally means LoL games are much more dynamic (this is because a smaller map to compared to dota2), while Dota2 seem more about strategizing. I'd argue that reaction times are even more valuable for LoL, especially when you have flash as a summoner spell and you can use it defensively (whereas you have to get blink dagger with dota for the same effect and you pretty much can never use it defensively).

Splitpushing and map control seems more of a possibility on League, partly due to teleport as a summoner spell + towers giving global gold and again map being smaller, Dota2 was for a long time much more of a teamfighting game, at least till Alliance started really abusing globals (though i don't really like how they do it and i like NaVi's playstyle a lot more).

Also key thing is that you have some leeway for losing lane/early in Dota2, LoL is a lot more snowbally in this regard (not always) and there's not much for you to do once if you die early. Then again in LoL you do have the tower to protect you, in Dota2 the towers hit for shit and most of the time you're the one protecting them.

Overall i'd say Dota2 is a better polished product (i would expect it to be after being in "beta" for so long) and having imported everything from dota1 there are more fun "mechanics" with how champions work and interact with each other. As for the competitive side, both games are great competitively as both have a large disparity over player skill since there's a huge difference between pros and casuals, and there are different returns for time involved in improving yourself on both.

abija

Prophet
Dota 2 more polished than LoL? You must have a weird definition for the term.
It's actually a pretty big Valve flaw, they move to new ideas long before polish even comes into play and the dota 2 UI is like a perfect example for it. So many different kind of panels left there from random versions.

Dota on the other hand has next to no skill-shots (non-direct target abilities), LoL is full of them.

u_wot_m8_the_film-72457.gif

I'm not feeling like counting, but its pretty close, both games have entry level heroes with point n click skills, but dota skills in general are more complicated and varied compared to Lol.

If you look at competitive games this generally means LoL games are much more dynamic (this is because a smaller map to compared to dota2), while Dota2 seem more about strategizing. I'd argue that reaction times are even more valuable for LoL, especially when you have flash as a summoner spell and you can use it defensively (whereas you have to get blink dagger with dota for the same effect and you pretty much can never use it defensively).

No TPs, small map, unlimited wards and fixed meta - how's this more dynamic, you can't even gank properly. Vast majority of skills/attacks in dota have travel time, if you are quick to react you can blink dodge pretty much all of them. Also there's no Y axis in LoL and Flash afaik doesn't let you disjoint skills (might be wrong about this one though, haven't played in a while).

Splitpushing and map control seems more of a possibility on League, partly due to teleport as a summoner spell + towers giving global gold and again map being smaller, Dota2 was for a long time much more of a teamfighting game, at least till Alliance started really abusing globals (though i don't really like how they do it and i like NaVi's playstyle a lot more).

In dota2, meta is changing all the time: 4+1, duo lanes (including mid), passive and agressive tripples, pulling, situational junglers. Towers give global gold in both games, split pushing is boring as shit anyway, team clashes are much more entertaining to watch and play. Global abuse is a thing of the past though, NP was indirectly nerfd and wisp is much more of a situational pick right now (due to nerfs to his tether). Heroes that can push AND teamfight are much more popular right now (invoker, pugna, naga and such).

Also key thing is that you have some leeway for losing lane/early in Dota2, LoL is a lot more snowbally in this regard (not always) and there's not much for you to do once if you die early. Then again in LoL you do have the tower to protect you, in Dota2 the towers hit for shit and most of the time you're the one protecting them.

This one is true, especially due to countless dota2 bugs, towers behavior is fucking unpredictable.

Overall i'd say Dota2 is a better polished product (i would expect it to be after being in "beta" for so long) and having imported everything from dota1 there are more fun "mechanics" with how champions work and interact with each other. As for the competitive side, both games are great competitively as both have a large disparity over player skill since there's a huge difference between pros and casuals, and there are different returns for time involved in improving yourself on both.

As far as polishing (actual polish, not game mechanics or anything like that) goes, i'm actually with LoL on this one. Less bugs, better matchmaking, devs are actually communicating and fixing some obviously broken shit (not talking balance here, just BUGS). Competetive in LoL is artificial, when Riot will decide to pull the plug it's over, Valve on other hand, only does international once a year and lets scene to grow naturally.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Y'all niggers playing dota2 should add me on steam for some fun 5 man cd/cm games. Under 3k MMR scrubs need not apply. Nick is Malakal.

Anyway staying on topic I fail to see any reasons why substitute the better game (D2) with a worse game (LoL). DotA2 has everything LoL has and even more, has more varied and interesting heroes, more mechanics. Also looks better.

Cant comment on pubs as I avoid them like the plague trying only to play 3-4-5 man. Letting retards carry/support is a recipe for disaster.

uaciaut

Augur
I'm not feeling like counting,

Looking over lol wiki and dota2 wiki right now, don't think counting would help your case. Maybe like a year+ ago when LoL had relatively more non-skill shot champs it was closer but nowadays there isn't a single champ Riot put out that doesn't have 1-2 skillshot on average.

No TPs, small map, unlimited wards and fixed meta - how's this more dynamic, you can't even gank properly. Vast majority of skills/attacks in dota have travel time, if you are quick to react you can blink dodge pretty much all of them. Also there's no Y axis in LoL and Flash afaik doesn't let you disjoint skills (might be wrong about this one though, haven't played in a while).

What no TP's? You get a tp to base for free (in the form of recall) and you can choose a summoner spell that lets you teleport to units/buildings.
There is a cap on wards in LoL.
Small map IS more dynamic since it takes less time to move from one lane to another, that's what smaller means.
Almost no targeted attacks/spells in LoL are instant and ALL skillshots DO have a travel time, that's why they're skillshots.
Flash does let you disjoint skills but for some champs it doesn't because it was disabled on purpose.

In dota2, meta is changing all the time: 4+1, duo lanes (including mid), passive and agressive tripples, pulling, situational junglers. Towers give global gold in both games, split pushing is boring as shit anyway, team clashes are much more entertaining to watch and play. Global abuse is a thing of the past though, NP was indirectly nerfd and wisp is much more of a situational pick right now (due to nerfs to his tether). Heroes that can push AND teamfight are much more popular right now (invoker, pugna, naga and such).

Re: the meta thing too, i personally don't like the trilanes being easily accessible in Dota2 because it shows scaling problems with some champs and i like the idea of having to play a jungler to apply extra lane-pressure and objective pressure. This is at the end of the day subjective though.

And re globals - haven't watched much pro Dota2 since the last TI when alliance seemed to just abuse the fuck out of it, and haven't played it since even before that, glad to see it's being changed though, expecting NaVi to rise again. I hope splitpushing/backdooring doesn't COMPLETELY disappear though, just that it won't be as strong as it was.

This one is true, especially due to countless dota2 bugs, towers behavior is fucking unpredictable.

LoL has its own share of bugs, i just don't like the function towers seem to have currently in dota2.

As far as polishing (actual polish, not game mechanics or anything like that) goes, i'm actually with LoL on this one. Less bugs, better matchmaking, devs are actually communicating and fixing some obviously broken shit (not talking balance here, just BUGS). Competetive in LoL is artificial, when Riot will decide to pull the plug it's over, Valve on other hand, only does international once a year and lets scene to grow naturally.

Haven't actually played dota2 in too long but in terms of actual spectating it seems better than LoL. Idk, it seems better designed for it, maybe that's just me though.

Definitely agreed on dota2's devs not giving a fuck about the fans though from what i've seen so far, but after that whole debacle with spamming volvo and threatening people and downvoting their own game i'm not sure they deserve anything.

^To sum it up, i'm butthurt about both games but in different areas. Hence why I stopped playing and now i'm just casually watching big dota 2 tournaments.

Renegen

Arcane
I'm pretty sure the second Riot doesn't want to support competitive, all of the tournaments that were running dota2 will step over themselves to run LoL since it attracts bigger audiences.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

This is the most retarded shit i've read in a long time

Probably because you are retarded.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think they're both fun.

I think DOTA 2 is a lot more challenging and demanding.

I think they both have their place.

Too mellow?

Y'all niggers playing dota2 should add me on steam for some fun 5 man cd/cm games. Under 3k MMR scrubs need not apply. Nick is Malakal.

Anyway staying on topic I fail to see any reasons why substitute the better game (D2) with a worse game (LoL). DotA2 has everything LoL has and even more, has more varied and interesting heroes, more mechanics. Also looks better.

Cant comment on pubs as I avoid them like the plague trying only to play 3-4-5 man. Letting retards carry/support is a recipe for disaster.
Codex in house 5v5 when? We ought to have enough people now.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You feel a lot more powerful in DOTA 2. It's like fighting with assault rifles vs fighting with NERF guns.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
LoL is more geared towards casual players… that's why it's more popular. Oh it's also been out longer and siphoned off the original DOTA player base before DOTA2 became playable.

Now I'd certainly choose DotA2, basically everything about it seems better.

But I'm gonna switch over to Heroes of the Storm if the rumours about shorter games is true, because I know a bunch of friends are going to play it strictly for that reason.

Yes suck my money udders Kotick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom