Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime DotA 2 vs LoL

WygadanyCygan

Novice
Dota 2 is better for fresh start if someone told me I had to grind all champs in LoL again because let's say I got banned I would uninstall LoL and swap for Dota 2 but since it's not the case and LoL runs better on my wooden PC I play LoL for now, also it's hard to just flush down the toilet so many hours(grind) for damned ip.

Almost forgot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AFNZx4iQWw

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Every good competitive game I can think of allows for huge comebacks.

Allowing for a comeback doesn't mean it has to be easy, and the advantage that was gathered by all team members should get easily lost by a single mistake of one member. It's easy enough to lose a game, despite your best efforts, because you just happen to have a fuckwit in your team, or someone disconnects. It's not fun.

Frankly, you SHOULD lose if you have a fuckwit in your team, and the opponents don't have one. That the fuckwit makes a stupid mistake and makes you lose a won game is just a result of playing in pick up groups, par for the course in a team game. If you don't like fuckwits ruining your wins, play a 1v1 game instead, and rage at yourself. In any case, competitive games should not be balanced around what happens at low skill levels, they should instead strive to be as deep and fun as possible at the very top.
Yes, but what I meant to say is that relying on a build up of power, rather then constant balance and need of extreme awareness (this is what I'm getting from you, I know nothing about dota experience, but I'll try to change that), allows you to still win in unfavorable situations like 4v5, which are bound to happen from time to time, IF you're good enough. I think it's a good solution for limiting the effects of those technical issues and random retardo moments. It makes for a good experience without compromising the skill necessary to win in any way.

And you can still fuck up majorally because of a single mistake or CC. It's less likely in casual play, especially before late-game, but at professional level games are mostly won whenever a single mistake is made. It's pretty hardcore, I'd say.

I don't like the genre and play neither Dota nor LoL, Warcraft 3 is about as much of a divergence from traditional RTS mechanics that I can tolerate. I was merely objecting to the idea that competitive games shouldn't incorporate mechanics that allow for major momentum swings.

Although I still maintain that a good competitive game shouldn't be balanced around stupid shit - like one person out of a team of 5 disconnecting. Again, the designers of Starcraft 2 tried to make it "more approachable" to new players, and made it a lot worse in the process.

Mechanics aside, the insane popularity of LoL by itself demonstrates that's it's a game that rewards awful players way too much.

Strawman argument really, popularity of a game or activity doesn't really say anything about its quality. Is real tennis a better sport than the modern version just because hardly anyone plays it and it has nigh incomprehensible and archaic rules?

How in the world is that supposed to be a staw man? Whose position am I misrepresenting here? Do you even know what a "strawman argument" is?

In any case, in the online multiplayer gaming world, we consistently see games which reward bad players the most achieve the greatest popularity. Why do you think Call of Duty is the most popular online FPS? Shit's deliberately designed to flatten the skill curve as much as possible.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't like the genre and play neither Dota nor LoL, Warcraft 3 is about as much of a divergence from traditional RTS mechanics that I can tolerate. I was merely objecting to the idea that competitive games shouldn't incorporate mechanics that allow for major momentum swings.

Although I still maintain that a good competitive game shouldn't be balanced around stupid shit - like one person out of a team of 5 disconnecting. Again, the designers of Starcraft 2 tried to make it "more approachable" to new players, and made it a lot worse in the process.

How in the world is that supposed to be a staw man? Whose position am I misrepresenting here? Do you even know what a "strawman argument" is?

In any case, in the online multiplayer gaming world, we consistently see games which reward bad players the most achieve the greatest popularity. Why do you think Call of Duty is the most popular online FPS? Shit's deliberately designed to flatten the skill curve as much as possible.

Post Diablo 2 Blizzard in a nutshell.

Dota has some very counter-intuitive and forced design decisions, incredibly annoying heroes that can be fixed fairly easily (losing the annoyance factor, but retaining their strengths) but nope. also power creep as of late. Numerous bugs in dota 2 too. Some shit hasn't been fixed in years. Matchmaking is terrible

LoL has shitty japanese (asian ? 'fuck do i know) style, no variety, fixed meta, simplified gameplay, grind... It's dumbed down dota, no way around it.

HoN (before f2p and shitty heroes) was better than both in terms of gameplay (faster response, faster movement, less passive gold) but the lead and marketing team failed so miserably that no one is playing anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Welp, they made that momo who helped fuck up WoW, Greg Street, a lead designer at Riot. Lol @ LoL.

At this point Riot is such a gigantic monstrosity that even Jay Wilson would hardly ruin anything. They are fucking douchebags though and i hope they'll fail.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
This is hilarious! Apparently LoL's balance wasn't sufficiently fucked up already, so they had to bring in fucking Ghostcrawler to help complete the job. :lol:

Seriously, though - if there's one guy I wouldn't want working on my PVP game, it's him (well, actually I suppose it's a tie between GC and Tom "Mace Stun" Chilton).

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
As someone who has never bothered with anything WoW related, what's the deal with the Ghostcrawler guy? On a side note, I don't think LoL's balance is that bad. There usually are a couple of champs that might be too strong in the current metagame or who rise to prominence when former "counters" to them are nerfed or otherwise fall out of favor. Otherwise the balance is "decent" considering both the size of the champion pool and the player base.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
As someone who has never bothered with anything WoW related, what's the deal with the Ghostcrawler guy?

He was the lead systems designer on WoW for many years, so he was in charge of balance, among other things. To put it mildly, I don't think he did a very good job and the general perception seems to be that he was at least partly responsible for WoW moving towards a more casual direction, an overreliance on RNG and a ridiculous balancing rollercoaster - i.e. FotM classes being extremely overpowered at one point and then being nerfed completely to hell in the next patch.

To be fair, though, gamers aren't ever happy with PVP balance, so it's quite possible that someone else would've done a similarly terrible job. :P

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I see. Still, WoW has as I understand it always had a bigger focus on PvE and I can imagine that balancing abilities, items and heroes for both is a bitch. Balance rollercoaster sucks though, especially since LoL kind of suffers from it already with some champs being king of the hill one patch and then barely touched come next patch.

Ninjerk

Arcane
As someone who has never bothered with anything WoW related, what's the deal with the Ghostcrawler guy? On a side note, I don't think LoL's balance is that bad. There usually are a couple of champs that might be too strong in the current metagame or who rise to prominence when former "counters" to them are nerfed or otherwise fall out of favor. Otherwise the balance is "decent" considering both the size of the champion pool and the player base.
He is harbinger of decline.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What I don't get is why this guy would choose to leave Blizzard. I can't imagine Riot is paying him more. My guess is he was being forced out (given the fairly significant drop in subscriptions) and this is just a graceful way of leaving.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Impossible to know, unless someone with inside information comes forward. Maybe he simply wanted a new challenge and work on a still growing game? Either way, let's what he'll do, not like the current team are doing a super job.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
What I don't get is why this guy would choose to leave Blizzard. I can't imagine Riot is paying him more. My guess is he was being forced out (given the fairly significant drop in subscriptions) and this is just a graceful way of leaving.
Riot pays more than Blizzard hands down. One is a one-game-wonder startup with chinese money pumping profit at a rate where they don't even know where to spend it in. Blizzard is what was left of an ex-A class studio, recycling interns while trying to be sold by its mother company.

Riot pays its own professional league plus buys out contract in big events on the conditon that no other MOBAs ever get on stage. Blizzard isn't even represented in their own events except when they have to present the latest moneygrab expansion.

Having played the three (four with Dota 1) I'm 80% sold on that HoN pre-F2P was the best . Dota 2 has gotten all my attention this year but player/game quality is abysmal, I'd rather get a troll who knows how to play than another polite "will-lose-the-game-for-fun" derp. HoN wasn't perfect but everything was about winning, as a team. Also not all those crippling ingame bugs.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
HoN was pretty good when they finally got around to fix the first batch of non-Dota heroes like Scout (gondar with sniper ulti, wut) and Madman. My favorite was Electrician tho. Such a troll hero.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I loved how everyone thought Scout was utter shit until someone realized you could just move from camp to camp in the jungle and clear them all in a single second using vanish (with it's stupidly low cooldown and massive burst damage) and cleave. That hero was the best farmer in any moba I've ever seen. Then they buffed him. ROFL.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
As someone who has never bothered with anything WoW related, what's the deal with the Ghostcrawler guy?

He made WoW. Apparently everyone who worked on WoW is a gigantic turboautistic psychopath, as evidenced by him or Mark Kern for example. This also explains why WoW is such a soul crushing, degenerate experience to people who still process emotions.

LoL has better balance than dotard if anything. When I still followed that shit, an impressive variety of heroes were picked/banned in each tourney, much less monotonous than dotard like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom