Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime DotA 2 vs LoL

I can't believe people are talking about comebacks and yet don't mention the single most important item for that purpose - Smoke of Deceit.

Vision is ubiquitous in LoL, people spam wards everywhere and there's no way to move undetected, so the element of surprise is almost nullified. In Dota, sight wards have a cooldown, and the very existence of Smoke of Deceit (which was recently buffed to be undetectable to wards period, even sentries) makes it so it's entirely possible to make a comeback play and turn the game around even if you're at a gold/item disadvantage.

To say Dota comebacks are simply a result of random shit is ridiculous, and denounce complete ignorance about the game. There are a lot of random elements in Dota, yes, but I personally feel they add to the competitive aspect, rather than detracting from it, but that's another discussion altogether.

Also, being out of position and getting fucked means you lose in LoL, but not in Dota - contrary to what's being expressed in this thread - because there are Buybacks in Dota. If you have enough reliable gold (another distinction people tend to gloss over - reliable vs unreliable gold is an important difference in Dota, and simply does not exist in LoL), you can buyback on a 3 min cooldown and turn the fight back around, or defend your base.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Every good competitive game I can think of allows for huge comebacks.

Allowing for a comeback doesn't mean it has to be easy, and the advantage that was gathered by all team members should get easily lost by a single mistake of one member. It's easy enough to lose a game, despite your best efforts, because you just happen to have a fuckwit in your team, or someone disconnects. It's not fun.

Frankly, you SHOULD lose if you have a fuckwit in your team, and the opponents don't have one. That the fuckwit makes a stupid mistake and makes you lose a won game is just a result of playing in pick up groups, par for the course in a team game. If you don't like fuckwits ruining your wins, play a 1v1 game instead, and rage at yourself. In any case, competitive games should not be balanced around what happens at low skill levels, they should instead strive to be as deep and fun as possible at the very top.

If you want to know about "not fun", try learning to play Terran on a BW server, and have every Protoss 10/15 Gate Dragoon rush you every single game, until you either learn how to defend or quit the game. No game can be balanced at every skill level.

On the topic of punishing mechanics, they're fine as long as you don't have too many, and they're interactive in the sense that the end result depends on the efforts of both sides, and not just one side pressing a button while the other has to jump through five hoops backwards just to stay even. This is actually one of the main reasons why Starcraft 2 fails, too many one-sided interactions with extreme results.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played DOTA regularly years ago, and while I wasn't very good I feel like I at least had a handle on the mechanics - denying, lane control and harassment, banning omniknight, etc. I stopped playing because it was hard to find a decent game outside the clan tda channel and I lost the account I had bothered to win enough Warcraft 3 games on to get in (you needed a nonstandard portrait or it would kick you).

Back in January or so my ex roommate started playing LoL with his friends, and eventually they convinced me to join since it was all they'd talk about. I played it long enough to get to 30 and again I'd like to think that I have the basic mechanics down enough to comment on them.

Having played both, I think they're different enough that direct comparisons are fairly pointless. Both have different goals, different playstyles, and different communities. They're also both fun.

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Not random, but highly unpredictable in it's possibility and results.... (As in, most players who get paid cannot really predict/observe what's gonna happen)

It's very chaotic compare to league, it's also alot more team orientated then league. A combination which result in more of said chaos

And it's very far fetch to compare this game to chess, it's more like a football murder rpg simulator.

Last edited:

AMG

Arbiter
Having played both, I think they're different enough that direct comparisons are fairly pointless. Both have different goals, different playstyles, and different communities. They're also both fun.

wut, the games are extremely similar: identical control scheme, identical map layout, identical objectives(LoL has few extra), similar game flow, matching hero roles, even some copy pasted items(most of them reworked by now in LoL i think) and spells. These are the most comparable games that have ever existed, aside from dotard nad hawn. They have more in common than SC2 and BW.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Every good competitive game I can think of allows for huge comebacks.

Allowing for a comeback doesn't mean it has to be easy, and the advantage that was gathered by all team members should get easily lost by a single mistake of one member. It's easy enough to lose a game, despite your best efforts, because you just happen to have a fuckwit in your team, or someone disconnects. It's not fun.

Frankly, you SHOULD lose if you have a fuckwit in your team, and the opponents don't have one. That the fuckwit makes a stupid mistake and makes you lose a won game is just a result of playing in pick up groups, par for the course in a team game. If you don't like fuckwits ruining your wins, play a 1v1 game instead, and rage at yourself. In any case, competitive games should not be balanced around what happens at low skill levels, they should instead strive to be as deep and fun as possible at the very top.
Yes, but what I meant to say is that relying on a build up of power, rather then constant balance and need of extreme awareness (this is what I'm getting from you, I know nothing about dota experience, but I'll try to change that), allows you to still win in unfavorable situations like 4v5, which are bound to happen from time to time, IF you're good enough. I think it's a good solution for limiting the effects of those technical issues and random retardo moments. It makes for a good experience without compromising the skill necessary to win in any way.

And you can still fuck up majorally because of a single mistake or CC. It's less likely in casual play, especially before late-game, but at professional level games are mostly won whenever a single mistake is made. It's pretty hardcore, I'd say.

sser

Arcane
Developer
LoL was my first MOBA. I started playing it in beta, even played against the top guys for awhile, but lost interest when the Seasons hit and the popularity spiked. It's fun, but the community became downright awful. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say the vast majority of games were plagued with shitheads - either on your team or the other's or both. Also, the champs were getting increasingly redundant. The engine seems limiting as to what they can do in terms of fun gameplay. Every champ seems to have a variation of steroid, bubble shield, and flash move. Riot has a business motive that clearly interferes with gameplay, too, and that really bugged the shit out of me.

I played Dota2 for the first time a few months ago. The game is way, way more complicated and nuanced. Champ abilities are very diverse and champ design seems more pointed at, "Let's make everything super awesome" as opposed to LoL's which is very conservative by comparison. I do think LoL has a better champ aesthetic a lot of the time, with very distinct characters whose silhouettes stand out from the scenery. I didn't really delve all that deep into Dota games, but I really had no issue with the community. Maybe I just got lucky.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
It's a good thing because it makes things tense, as opposed to a forgegone conclusion where you know that even if your enemies fell asleep at their keyboards and let you cast every spell exactly as you want, they'd just murder you afterwards because a single 1.75 second stun isn't enough to kill anyone important.

Now this is just blatantly false. Getting to freely unload a full rotation of spells on a target that is sleeping, or stunned for an irrelevant 1.75 seconds, is more than enough to take almost any squishy target in LoL out of the fight at just about any stage of the game, assuming that your spells pack a punch.

Mechanics aside, the insane popularity of LoL by itself demonstrates that's it's a game that rewards awful players way too much.

Strawman argument really, popularity of a game or activity doesn't really say anything about its quality. Is real tennis a better sport than the modern version just because hardly anyone plays it and it has nigh incomprehensible and archaic rules?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
HoN is better than both Dota 2 and LoL, which I both think are shit... especially LoL... god that's shit.

Also people who never heard of DOTA 1.. but thinks LoL is the SHIzzle... and all that.. can go fuck themselves :P

Basically, any high level DOTA 1 / HoN player will shit ALL OVER any LoL high level player, basically.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I love when people who shit on lol obviously know next to nothing about the game.
I love when people defend the game as if it s not a scrub haven designed for people who are bad at Dota

And then kingcomrade posts along
with the strength to carry on
and you cast your doubts aside
you know that you can't survive
those 300 pounds of a man
posting on and on and on
and you finally see the truth
that the idiot here is you

St. Toxic

Arcane
Also, the biggest problem with Dota 2 is that they don't have the technology to move the minimap into the top-right corner of the screen where it belongs.

St. Toxic

Arcane
So they finally buckled under the pressure of countless LoL enthusiasts? Dota 2 has truly lost by selling its integrity. You fanbois should be ashamed.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Basically, any high level DOTA 1 / HoN player will shit ALL OVER any LoL high level player, basically.

In real life? Or in the game? And, if so, in which game?

in a MOBA Game of course.

The point being that, DOTA 1 / HoN skill cap triumphs over LoL and even DOTA 2 in my experience.

e.g.

Being bad at DOTA 1 / HoN won't mean you will be bad in LoL, because it's easier and more forgiving.

Being good at LoL doesn't mean you will be good at DOTA 1 or HoN, because both games require more of everything to be good.

St. Toxic

Arcane

The point being that, DOTA 1 / HoN skill cap triumphs over LoL and even DOTA 2 in my experience.

e.g.

Being bad at DOTA 1 / HoN won't mean you will be bad in LoL, because it's easier and more forgiving.

Being good at LoL doesn't mean you will be good at DOTA 1 or HoN, because both games require more of everything to be good.

Maybe it's not about skill cap, maybe it's just a more accessible interface and balanced game mechanics? Because if it was, it would result in the exact same thing.

It just looked like you said that a Dota1/HoN player could face off against "good" League players without having played the game before, based on earlier moba experience. And Dota 2 to boot. I think the differences in the effectiveness of auto-attacks between the various games alone would be enough to force new players to turtle and try to play it safe, and when you play it safe you get fucked.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
f you’re receiving this email, it means we haven’t seen you in quite a while. In fact, it’s been so long that you’re in danger of losing your Summoner Name!

• Summoner Name: IS1f06f3ff21683d
• Realm Name: EU Nordic & East

We’ve made some adjustments to how long an inactive player can keep their Summoner name before we make it available to others.

If you want to keep your name, play a game!

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
LOL.
You could have used more imagination in picking names tho.

And why you all are butthurt cause LoL is a more popular game? I know you all wanna support the underdog but fuck Gaben and his hat store.
Half the map size and shorten cooldowns by 2 and it could be fun game someday. meh

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Yes, the grind aspect of LoL sucks, no argument there.

HoN is better than both Dota 2 and LoL, which I both think are shit... especially LoL... god that's shit.

Also people who never heard of DOTA 1.. but thinks LoL is the SHIzzle... and all that.. can go fuck themselves :P

A DotA team without much LoL experience once filled for their organisation's League team. Obviously they stomped the untermensch casual LoL "pros". No wait, they lost their game in like twelve minutes, not even getting the chance to surrender...

Judas

Literate

In real life? Or in the game? And, if so, in which game?

e.g.

HoN didn't have a higher skill cap. What it did have was a higher emphasis on individual skill - a mechanically skilled player could take over games a lot easier from mechanically inferior players. Dota 1/2 was more of a team game. That's pretty much the #1 thing Fnatic emphasized when they switched back in 2012.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom