Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
His ult is sweet tho, very long duration for what it does. But thats more of a support thing.

curry

Arcane
The thing with Omni carry is that people tend to leave the lane and let you free farm, thinking you're a support that's just pushing from your tower.

No, that's just because you're deep in the trench. I watched the match you posted above and without knowing your MMR I suspect it's very low based on the stuff I saw in the match (no wards before 30min mark, no ganks, no pulls or blocks, no smokes/dusts etc.)

Any goofy shit like that works if your opponents are bad but if you keep doing that you'll never climb up from the trench.

G a R M

Novice
:lol: While I do believe I'm quite bad at this game, I don't think deep trench is the case, but atypical and possibly lucky matches are probably right when I do shit like this Omni build. I don't play ranked and probably never will (game's stressful enough in normal matches) so I don't have a number, but I'm 51 victories ahead right now. Thing is, recently I just stopped caring that much about making "serious matches" and started testing a lot of these goofy stuff when I play with friends. Rest assured, I won't troll your game if I play with any of you one day though

Yesterday I did Treant carry... don't do it, it sucks (what a surprise).

We of course Treant carry is terrible. That's why it makes it that much sweeter when you can actually make it work and win with it.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
We should talk more about pro scene rumors and less about trying to carry with shitty heroes or scrub shaming videos.

:codexisfor:

EDIT: Just heard that puppey left na'vi today (kuroky did so as well, like 2-3 days ago), probably to form a new team with kuro and less ukrainians.(no offense)

Last edited:

Coriolanus

Learned
The new Na'Vi basically survived on Dendi, Kuro and Puppey's raw skill. Supports/drafters are the hardest roles to fill in a competitive team, especially in CIS - which is why they drafted a German outsider in the first place.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
The new Na'Vi basically survived on Dendi, Kuro and Puppey's raw skill. Supports/drafters are the hardest roles to fill in a competitive team, especially in CIS - which is why they drafted a German outsider in the first place.

It was mostly puppey and kuro really, dendi is just the flashy playmaker and the face of the team.

I'm actually glad they are out to form a better team.

Coriolanus

Learned

It was mostly puppey and kuro really, dendi is just the flashy playmaker and the face of the team.

I'm actually glad they are out to form a better team.

Skill-wise Dendi is still one of the better mid players out there. Being a flashy playmaker is no small thing given how difficult it is to consistently outplay people at his level and how valuable of an asset it is to be able to turn fights through mindgames. His main flaw is his own arrogance and that, as result, he just hasn't improved that much, being unable to pull of 'patient' mid heroes and tilting easily under pressure.

KKY and PPY are just old Dota fuckbuddies, no real surprise there, they'll form a new team for sure.

I for one think that the weakest link in the more recent Na'Vi is Funn1k; he was awesome in Empire back when that team was decent but something's definitely been missing from his play. People hate on xboct but I think he's fine.

The main problem with Na'Vi is that other teams have adapted to deathball since the game benefits that style of play now. Other teams do it better. Na'Vi used to be the kings of killing you under your tower, then taking your tower, now everyone else does it too.

I think Goblak will join Na'Vi's main roster as Captain, he's a good strategist even if he's not an awesome player anymore. No real idea who the 5th might be, maybe they'll poach Empire for alwayswannafly or some shit. I'm fairly confident they'll keep to Ukraine/Russia exclusively.

Dendi is a great player still, but the problem is that lane dominating mids simply don't exist anymore, because of incessant bottle crowing and support smoke rotations. Bottle crowing sucks dick (yes, even after it got changed) and I really hope Icefrog realizes that half-assing a nerf doesn't cut it, it needs to be gone entirely.

On another random note, I also fully expect a nerf to Mek next balance patch (increase in recipe cost, increase in mana, possibly both).

G a R M

Novice
KKY and PPY are just old Dota fuckbuddies, no real surprise there, they'll form a new team for sure.

I for one think that the weakest link in the more recent Na'Vi is Funn1k; he was awesome in Empire back when that team was decent but something's definitely been missing from his play. People hate on xboct but I think he's fine.

This no idea how they keep a moron who goes 0-4 as offlane Tide in 10 minutes and doesn't buy a fucking stout shield.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

This no idea how they keep a moron who goes 0-4 as offlane Tide in 10 minutes and doesn't buy a fucking stout shield.

If you max kraken shell stout shield is useless but indeed dying 4 times in 10 minus as tide is completely unacceptable.

Coriolanus

Learned

A stout shield on Tide?

Not disagreeing that Funnik is a bit underwhelming as a player.

On another random note, I also fully expect a nerf to Mek next balance patch (increase in recipe cost, increase in mana, possibly both).

Knowing Icefrog's style he should buff Vanguard instead or (better) change the item entirely. As it is, I don't see much point to it.

On a different note...

Matchmaking calibrated my new account to 4950 but my hero pool is still so damn narrow. Picking Morphling middle with the occasional Nyx (v. Tinker), Razor (v. TA) and Viper (v. Zeus) did the trick even though I still lost and threw a lot of easy games. 5.3k off calibration is the maximum, right? Sub 5k's don't know how to handle mid Morph at all and from watching EnVy and Arteezy's stream when they play that hero it's often the same with 6k's. Now I'm off to learning how to not be shit with Tinker (don't hate!) on a different account. God I suck with that hero.

polo

Magister
Hey, want to know your opinion on some heroes:
First, Viper-> I think it should be nerfed, a decent player can just crush the game with this shit, i find it really boring. Early mek and get tired of killing everyone.

2nd, Earth Spirit-> I can't find any good strenghts about this shit. Decent support at most, worse carry ever, skills are not strong enough to make it good even with level advantage. Ulti feels like Earthshakers only 10 times less powerfull. Best thing is movility and ability to help teammates, but meh.

polo

Magister

A stout shield on Tide?

Not disagreeing that Funnik is a bit underwhelming as a player.

Knowing Icefrog's style he should buff Vanguard instead or (better) change the item entirely. As it is, I don't see much point to it.

On a different note...

Matchmaking calibrated my new account to 4950 but my hero pool is still so damn narrow. Picking Morphling middle with the occasional Nyx (v. Tinker), Razor (v. TA) and Viper (v. Zeus) did the trick even though I still lost and threw a lot of easy games. 5.3k off calibration is the maximum, right? Sub 5k's don't know how to handle mid Morph at all and from watching EnVy and Arteezy's stream when they play that hero it's often the same with 6k's. Now I'm off to learning how to not be shit with Tinker (don't hate!) on a different account. God I suck with that hero.

Tinker <3. So much fun in mid-late game. EB + Lvl5 Dagon, recharge, repeat. Or just scepter and missile everyone, love it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
First, Viper-> I think it should be nerfed, a decent player can just crush the game with this shit, i find it really boring. Early mek and get tired of killing everyone.

2nd, Earth Spirit-> I can't find any good strenghts about this shit. Decent support at most, worse carry ever, skills are not strong enough to make it good even with level advantage. Ulti feels like Earthshakers only 10 times less powerfull. Best thing is movility and ability to help teammates, but meh.

Viper is a typical lane dominant hero. He has a very special role/niche he fills in. He is a shit farmer and weak carry, has no real disable. His only thing is lane dominance and some early-mid game tankiness due to mek and corrosive skin. Dont tell me you cant counter viper. He folds like paper if denied farm/exp early.

ES was op and now hes a bit up but still a good hero if you can play him. Good mobility and mobility is king, also can affect other heroes which is huge. Also has a nice silence. What he needs is good micro with stones and ult reflections, then he can do real damage. Definitely a support, would probably be an offlaner in pro games.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Look for replays or front page live games for Earth Spirit from JerAxai (a lot of his play was before the rebalance), keemerah, and there's another guy whose name escapes me that I've seen on the front page that is very good.

Coriolanus

Learned

Heroes that win or go even in 1v1 with Viper (assuming even skill): Brewmaster, Silencer, Warlock, probably more. He is not a very fun hero to play if your team starts to feed and you're forced to play from behind. Nowadays, I'd only pick him to counter some degenerate Zeus spammer - even so, a few successful ganks from a Zeus's ally and I'm done for. In other words, if you're concerned about a Viper on an enemy team, pick a roaming support and gank him a few times before his meka is up.

Either that, or simply sit back and, if you have a stronger lategame, farm and wait for his steroid to fade into irrelevance.

ES is pretty balanced in theory but very OP in pub practice because (like in Morph's case) people just aren't used to playing against a good ES or knowing what the hero's limits are which is also why JerAx has still maintained his high rating and winrate on ES despite all the nerfs.

Coriolanus

Learned
Three games in a row I say mid at the loading screen, twice, then once in the picking stage yet some failed Russian smurf always picks a mid hero and spams "Я МИД УБДЛЮДКИ" regardless. Three games in a row I pick a support/safelane only to have my mid lane lose 3 kills by 2 minutes to a retarded snowballing hero like Pudge. Fuck. I hate Dota so much, sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom