Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters
Kotl is in theory the best anti-push support in the game, however the current meta relies on a lot of blink initiation to go along with your deathball push - and pretty fast blinks at that (panda, tide given farm priority), so kotl would just get blinked on and killed in 3 seconds.

Also, roaming supports are important for the early game and given the nerf to stack/pulling in general (shared creep xp, safelane creep movespeed during the first few minutes of the game) kotl isn't as effective. He's a static support that needs levels and doesn't do anything as far as roaming goes.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
You can siege opponent base forever with aghs upgrade on kotol.
They managed to pick off your carry? Just back up a bit and call him back when he respawns/buys back.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Indeed it was, Newbee securing grand finals a day after nearly getting eliminated says much about this year's format.

However I'm not complaining about playoffs being BO1.
It is useful as it separates shitter team like r[A]ts, from the teams who actually deserve playing at TI. Also I can't imagine how long it would take to move onto the main event if playoffs were BO2 or BO3.

EDIT: also love how gosugamers dude calls Iceiceice a ''chinese gamer''.

It was the worst TI for sure because of the finals, but how is that Valve's fault ? Other than the fact that the finals were held in the middle of the day on a Monday, that is.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Meh, I think they tried to streamline it a bit too much. The round robin knocking out teams before the main event even started was kind of shitty, and the winner's and loser's bracket should've both lasted longer, with more teams in each. Also, securing the grand and semi-finalists on the first day of the main event was utter stupidity. The final should've been on the weekend, etc. etc.

G a R M

Novice
Indeed it was, Newbee securing grand finals a day after nearly getting eliminated says much about this year's format.

It is useful as it separates shitter team like r[A]ts, from the teams who actually deserve playing at TI. Also I can't imagine how long it would take to move onto the main event if playoffs were BO2 or BO3.

There is no such thing as a "Best of 2" series...it has to be an odd number. Furthermore, how does a 1 game style playoff separate the good and the bad teams? Single games elimination rounds encourage gimmick drafts and tactics that can't easily be repeated in a best of 3 series.

Ninjerk

Arcane

There is no such thing as a "Best of 2" series...it has to be an odd number. Furthermore, how does a 1 game style playoff separate the good and the bad teams? Single games elimination rounds encourage gimmick drafts and tactics that can't easily be repeated in a best of 3 series.
I have seen at least one DotA 2 tournament with best of 2 series I shit you not. I didn't really understand how it was supposed to work at the time, but I presume there was some kind of points thingie or tiebreaker seeding based on which teams beat which.

Orma

Arcane
Patron

:retarded:

There is such thing. In playoffs, you accumulate points rather than eliminate the opposition, so it doesn't really matter if the game is tied 1-1. :lol:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I've seen many tournaments use BO2 in group stage, just as Orma said you accumulate points. Of course BO3 would be best but usually its not feasible.

Granted in this meta we could have BO3 since games tend to be rather short...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
korean dota = armlets on everything, juke and toggle like a mongo

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well used armlet is by far the best carry item in the game. It provides crazy health and a lot of damage.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Omni has horrible carry potential doesnt he? No steroid, mellee, super weak farmer. His only saving grace is repel and guardian angel but both of those can be purged... besides even if he manages to pull those off he cant kill anyone anyway. At least not when compared to heroes like void.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I wouldn't say that Omni is terrible early - Purification is insane in the early game, especially when you manage to get to that level 7 pretty fast (either through solo-laning, couple of kills or fast midas), it's even the most defining condition of the carry/semi-carry Omni's success, getting to those 360 points of pure damage ASAP (and managing to capitalize on them sufficiently). It's more in the mid-game where he falls apart as a carry somewhat because he's not that great of a farmer (though having a good last hit and going for midas into either mask of madness or radiance rush should help here a lot) and his stat gain is also quite mediocre. And he also works much better in stacks, because his skills are really teamplay and pick dependent - purification is much better with the guys who can actually stay on the target (sure, degen aura+orb of venom help here, but not against everyone and they don't help you to actually get into that almost point blank range), repel is also decent with everyone, but obv it's more profitable with some natural bkb carriers (like luna or sf or gyro) to negate their pre-bkb weakness, and his ult requires a team that can actually chase... Though in the current meta of constant pushing, that's somewhat less of a deal - they may run wherever they want as you're taking their rax.

Anyway, it's a decent pub option, I think, but you need to last hit really well to go for it, it's pretty much a 6-7 minutes midas or bust.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well if you want to carry then going orb of venom into phase into midas seems like a decent recipe for early game kills. Stay on enemy and hit him hard.

Mid game I am not sure what can be done, perhaps a quickly farmed damage item? And relying on your skills for staying alive.

Late game is completely impossible against any decently farmed enemy carry, sorry. Anything ranged will run circles around you degen aura or not. Anything melee thats played these days will eat Omni alive.

polo

Magister
He just cant deal decent damage to be a good carry, for farming or teamfighting. It can become a really good tank tho.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I just feel like you could have someone on your team buy a diffusal blade and then Omni goes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom