Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
batrider with high ground wards mid vs pub noobs is the funniest shit. 3-4 oils -> FB -> killing spree/dominating/win.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why is Treant such a rare pick in this game? How is he not considered one of the best supports for almost all situations except against a strong one-push-takes-tower comp? Yesterday I even got to build radiance and tarrasque on him and it's just heavan. He also hits like ten trucks with his autos.

Treant is first pick first ban for many pro teams. And pubs are pubs so who cares. But no one ever build heart radiance on him.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Treant is the rare pub pick the same reason, say, Chen or Visage are rare. Well, not exactly the same, no micro involved, but close to that - while he seems pretty easy hero to use, almost mindless, in reality it's quite difficult to stay on the lane (while lasthitting/denying creeps successfully & minding your opponents) and give good armors at the same time. Especially if the lane is tough for some reason. And, especially on the low levels, good living armor requires some great timing - miss it by second or two and it's pointless.

Also, even apart from the map awareness, some good decision making needs to be involved - the absolute majority of treants get overzealous with their "heal the tower" ability. You need to heal them, of course, that's one of the biggest advantages of the tree, but at the same time if the teamfight is nearby or if you don't see your enemies and the gank is quite possible, it's just freaking stupid to spend your armor on the tower. You need to understand when you can do that and when you can't. Not to mention that it's also important to know which lane you wish to support with it - it's especially bad with the stacks, where overhelping their buddies often becomes detrimental to the team.

So I guess most players just find Roof too tedious to play. I, personally, love him (one of my top-3 heroes), but as a jungler (goblak & puppey do that occasionally on the pro scene), especially in the dire jungle. Yeah, he's a so-so jungler, but playing him there gives you all time in the world to stare on the lanes, giving armor exactly when it's needed.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How do you even jungle as treant? Double triple pulls? Culling blade and tanking one creep at a time? He has nothing for jungling.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
How do you even jungle as treant? Double triple pulls? Culling blade and tanking one creep at a time? He has nothing for jungling.

Pulling is not really jungling, it shouldn't be considered as such. It's just culling blade+stout shield+tango and go-go-go. As I've said, being on the dire side and having that cheaty medium camp helps a lot, but even as the radiant you can kill medium camps from level 1. It's not fast, ofc, and you'll pretty much have to buy&die at least once, but it works (at least in my experience - I'm 14-6 on him).

Now that you mentioned it... I think I haven't seen Visage in the game this whole year, woah :lol:

I've randomed it about a month ago. Despite me playing it for the first time, I managed to pull it off, somehow:

visage%20game.jpg

Sure, they had crappy pick and our Clinkz totally balled, but still. Game was pretty stressfull for me, though, because it's really hard for me to micro so I spent an almost entire match in the constant wtf mode.

Also met Visage yesterday (a picked one), but that one was so-so, almost never used familiar stuns:

visage%20opp.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The funny thing is you dont even need to use familiar stuns to own with visage, merely selecting all units and right clicking does a lot of damage. And then there is the very strong nuke and powerful slow. Only his survival is very bad.

curry

Arcane
Why is Treant such a rare pick in this game? How is he not considered one of the best supports for almost all situations except against a strong one-push-takes-tower comp? Yesterday I even got to build radiance and tarrasque on him and it's just heavan. He also hits like ten trucks with his autos.

Treant just got nerfed in the last patch because he is so popular. Treant is also better ganker/semi-support than hard support. Focus leech seeds and you can get early kills. Don't burn your mana healing everything.

Last edited:

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin

You don't really jungle as Treant, you just stack and pull.

PA active midgame? With what if you could enlighten me, dagger dealing maybe 300dmg on a crit? Blink? Without items PA has nothing, no hp, no survival, no damage. If you want a carry active midgame you pick something other than PA, I recomend slark hes a snowball hero not very good at farming. Even luna is better because she has a good single target nuke good ulti and helps push a lot.

PA can be SUPER aggressive early(with the right lane partners) because of blur.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Again, how does blur help you against nukes?

That's why I said "with the right lane partners", lane PA with Omniknight + someone with a stun and tower dive to your heart's content.

Edit: I do think she can be active mid game even without supports, get phase + bkb + something like a maelstrom and she's pretty decent in a TF(if you're lucky :p).

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
She is pretty decent in fights with just power treads and drums as longs as she is lucky with crits and has a dependable team.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
why drums on hero with blink and slow tho

Treads on PA are underrated, everyone goes phase automatically but there are benefits to going treads; PA is very weak early on to magic burst and having treads definitely helps with that. It's a common misconception to think that the attack speed is wasted because of the AS buff she gets after blinking - although the recent movespeed nerf on treads made it considerably worse imo. Doesn't affect her as much as other heroes.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dagger crit does what? 80 x 450% at level 16? PA needs every dmg she can get but I agree that pt is viable on her. She doesn't usually get many ias items anyway.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Phase boots are nice for their escape utility on PA also, since your go-to move is generally blinking to allied creeps, it helps to not then get blocked by said creeps.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Treads on PA are underrated, everyone goes phase automatically but there are benefits to going treads; PA is very weak early on to magic burst and having treads definitely helps with that. It's a common misconception to think that the attack speed is wasted because of the AS buff she gets after blinking - although the recent movespeed nerf on treads made it considerably worse imo. Doesn't affect her as much as other heroes.
The crit works off of PRD, so until you hit the AS cap fully buffed there really isn't any reason to be shy about getting things like treads, maelstrom, etc. given how powerful they are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom