Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jupiter Hell - DoomRL successor

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks great! Bookmarked so I can back when I get payed

Just one minor question, will keys be rebindable? I have very specific ways I like to control different genres of games

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
DoomRL developer was responsible for getting the GearHead wiki wiped. So I hate him.

Hey, that's not fair :(. We hosted the wiki complimentary on our servers, but it was overran by spam, and hogging up the whole system, because there was no one to keep it clean... not our fault, and we did that in agreement with Joseph :(.

Looks great! Bookmarked so I can back when I get payed

Just one minor question, will keys be rebindable? I have very specific ways I like to control different genres of games

It's a classic roguelike! As with all our games, keys and actions are going to be rebindable, and if you're so inclined you'll be able to define macros under keybindings. We come from the school of dev, where anything that can be configurable, should be configurable.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a classic roguelike! As with all our games, keys and actions are going to be rebindable, and if you're so inclined you'll be able to define macros under keybindings. We come from the school of dev, where anything that can be configurable, should be configurable.

That's great to hear. I will definitely back the project

Severian Silk

DoomRL developer was responsible for getting the GearHead wiki wiped. So I hate him.

Hey, that's not fair :(. We hosted the wiki complimentary on our servers, but it was overran by spam, and hogging up the whole system, because there was no one to keep it clean... not our fault, and we did that in agreement with Joseph :(.
You talked him out of setting up the wiki on Wikia, promising you had "much bandwidth and storeroom to spare!" Also, Joseph said the wiki went down due to a "database error" of some sort, not any "agreement" you had with him.

Ironically, Wikia is where the now incomplete/broken replacement wiki has ended up, based on archived content from thre Wayback Machine. At least Wikia know a thing or two about keeping a server running, not to mention making backups, despite all the ads. And they don't make any false promises.

Oh, and don't let me forget the GearHead discussion forum. Where is that now? Is 10 years of lost forum messages worth switching over from the Yahoo Group where things were running smoothly and without problem? Just so you can impress a somewhat naive developer? Your "complimentary" service has been worse than no service!

Last edited by a moderator:

agris

Arcane
Patron
ColCol that actually looks interesting. do you reco GH1 or GH2 for someone who likes roguelikes, but not ascii characters (aka slight graphics whore). Some of the GH1 shots looked really good compared to the 3d blobs I saw in GH2.

ColCol

Arcane
ColCol that actually looks interesting. do you reco GH1 or GH2 for someone who likes roguelikes, but not ascii characters (aka slight graphics whore). Some of the GH1 shots looked really good compared to the 3d blobs I saw in GH2.

Both are really only just a step above ascii to me. They are both great games. Yet, I would recommend one over two (for roguelike fans)

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
This is the last reply in the GearHead topic, because I have no idea where you get your false accusations from :/.

him out of setting up the wiki on Wikia, promising you had "much bandwidth and storeroom to spare!" Also, Joseph said the wiki went down due to a "database error" of some sort, not any "agreement" you had with him.
The database error was the crash of our server due to spam overload. We've setup a replacement wiki, locked the old one into a password protected site, and sent the link to the new one to Joseph. The new one never took off.

Ironically, Wikia is where the now incomplete/broken replacement wiki has ended up, based on archived content from thre Wayback Machine. At least Wikia know a thing or two about keeping a server running, not to mention making backups, despite all the ads. And they don't make any false promises.
We have backups of both the old spammed wiki (2GB of wiki db! you can imagine how much spam that is) as well as the backup of the replacement. After setting up the replacement, no one ever asked us if we have a backup of the old wiki.

Oh, and don't let me forget the GearHead discussion forum. Where is that now? Is 10 years of lost forum messages worth switching over from the Yahoo Group where things were running smoothly and without problem? Just so you can impress a somewhat naive developer? Your "complimentary" service has been worse than no service!
Also backed up. If anyone is willing to host, the whole thing is ready for taking. We have enough problems with our servers now because of Jupiter Hell, but if anyone is willing to take over, the backups are just an e-mail away.

Final note, and I'm done with this topic - Joseph is helping us promote the Jupiter Hell kickstarter, if there were any bad blood between us, if we'd really let him down, he wouldn't be doing this. If you want to continue this discussion, e-mail me at epyon at chaosforge dot org.

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Backed.

I often dream of a Doom/Quake themed turn- and party-based blobber. This isn't it, but I'm quite happy.

Thank you for constructive use of RPG Codex!

Epyon

ChaosForge
Developer
This looks quite interesting. Backed.

Thank you!

Backed.
I often dream of a Doom/Quake themed turn- and party-based blobber. This isn't it, but I'm quite happy.
Thank you for constructive use of RPG Codex!

Thank you! We're trying! Apart from the hardcore roguelike communities, the hardcore vibe of RPGCodex is closest to our heart.

Some hopefully constructive criticism: Chaos Forge's social media game is not on point. Setting up your own subreddit is great for when you want to build your own community, but not when you are trying to get visibility. Posting all your content within said subreddit only is even worse. You have less than 2 weeks to double your funding. If you don't get your act together now, your campaign will fail.

Things you should do right now: 1) Post your RPS article in a targeted manner (Games, Gaming, Indiegaming, Roguelike etc) with a good, descriptive, eye-catching title. Post at an appropriate, if not optimal time for that sub (hint: not middle of the night EST). Get your community to do the initial upvotes fast. 2) Do an AMA based on your work with DoomRL, but not in IAMA, again, you want to be targeted. 3) Set up alerts to notify you asap whenever anyone posts anything related to your project. You want to be there to upvote and comment.

Thank you for the input! We know our social media game, but we don't want to Black Shell it ;). We posted on all those target reddits, only on /r/roguelikes it got (a lot of) traction. Having the community do promotion upvotes and positing a self-promotion link without being active in a reddit is a serious breach of the reddiquette and is a bannable offence on many bigger subreddits - https://www.reddit.com/wiki/selfpromotion , especially on /games and /gaming. The /r/roguelike post was an AMA and it went quite well. Reposting there without a significant update is also considered bad manners.

Speaking of updates though, there's a major update on the Kickstarter, that might be especially interesting to you guys, on Strategy and Tactics:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ern-turn-based-sci-fi-roguelike/posts/1751935

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom