Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom vs Brutal Doom - DISCUSS!

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
serious sam is fucking great... get lost. Serious sam just takes the most frantic moments in doom 2 and makes a whole game based on that an in my opinion it not only works, but works great.

SS did what any idiot with an FPS engine can now do. Make a big rectangular room that locks when you enter it, then spawn monsters on all sides while the player fends them off with half-baked, shit-feeling weapons.

SS's accomplishment at the time was being the first indie FPS before indie scene became a thing. Otherwise it's throwaway garbage.

regarding brutal doom, it's pretty cool and fun, the haters are lame and are also over reacting. It's nerdrage caused by something stupid. It's just a slight variation on the doom formula

That's just because you have a really simple view of what constitutes the "Doom formula". That game is still alive and in active development now, 20 years later. Not "Corridor 7" or "Cybermage", but Doom. The reasons for that are not trivial enough to fit into your puny little flaming skull.

Rpgsaurus Rex

BD is fantastic, glad to see the guy is still at it despite all the fan-hate.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I rather stick with Beautiful Doom than this. Another "release->played 1-2 maps -> drop forever".

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I'm not a big fan of the gore part of this mod, but I just like the weapon rework.

Said before I'll say it again: weapons (minus fatalities) & artificial intelligence is what makes BD great. I like my enemies to actually attack.

Having played a beta build of BDv20 I'm not too impressed with some of the new stuff. Some cool new sprite-based animations, such as the chainsaw attacks and enemy behavior are great (including yet more new AI attacks), but I'm not liking the new Baron of hell behavior, they are easy to stun lock/cancel and are less aggressive. Dual wield weapons while cool I could do without for a number of reasons. The Sgt. also nerfed the hipfire accuracy of the rifle considerably after sustained fire, which is a let down for me. The rifle accuracy when hipfiring vs iron sights was perfect in v19 and shouldn't have been fucked with. Mancubus cannon is cool but the secondary fire attack (which is the v19 default attack) no longer has a gravity drop-off effect that I really liked in v19. The mighty boot has sadly been nerfed in both damage and applied force (especially useful for keeping pinky demons back of course). The awesome plasma rifle sprite from v19 is gone and replaced with the less interesting one from v18. One of the biggest inclines however has to be less frequent encountering of Imps and Zombies groaning in pain when bleeding out which happened ALL THE FUCKING TIME in v19 & needless to say it was p. fucking annoying.

So yeah, mixed feelings on v20, but I played the beta so of course it is all subject to change.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ugh, grenades. If they're about as useless as detonators in Dark Forces you can count me out.

Blood amount: Japanese Cartoon

This had me rolling though.

lightbane

Arcane
Grenades? :decline: Most FPS' grenades swing between terribad to barely useful, with some exceptions such as those from Shadow of Soviet Russia Chernobyl. What's more, in the same video the player hits himself with said grenades multiple times, heh.

baturinsky

Arcane
Grenades are good when you need to get someone around the corner, which is demonstrated in the end of the vid.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Grenades are good when you need to get someone around the corner, which is demonstrated in the end of the vid.

Doomguy does not wait around corners. Doomguy rams ahead at full speed and shreds everyone to shit with his minigun.

Though I suppose there's a variety of inventive ways one could use the grenades with when executing enemies. Even aliens have plenty of orifices.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Doomguy does not wait around corners. Doomguy rams ahead at full speed and shreds everyone to shit with his minigun.

Though I suppose there's a variety of inventive ways one could use the grenades with when executing enemies. Even aliens have plenty of orifices.

Pic related

Rip_and_tear.png

Alfons

Prophet
Doom is p. awesome, but when played side by side with original SShock it starts to resemble a high-school programming project.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah, because different genres are just nonexistent. As a pure action game System Shock is obviously vastly superior.

toroid

Arcane
... and then there's this feature:

this is the first objectively bad idea I've seen implemented in BD, in its current form anyway

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why are grenades necessary? Sperglord Edition introduced grenades as a secondary function for the rocket launcher, which was useful for lobbing explosives behind corners. A seperate grenade "weapon" ruins the flow when you have to use it, unless it is a direct-on-button press grenade throw like in F.E.A.R. or Halo where they don't even pull the pin. Having grenades as an alt. fire mode is more useful because you can always just shoot a straight rocket when you have to, without having to change weapons.

baturinsky

Arcane
Doom gernades should be something really mean to keep up with the rest of arsenal (such as grenade launcher). Something on the level of BFG explosion, but with friendly fire.

Perkel

Arcane
but its not really Doom.

And Doom with mouse support and lack of autotargeting is Doom ?
BD is as Doom as any other version.

He's talking about being able to kill things through walls with impunity. Is that Doom to you?

Is that any different to mouse support ? Both change game completely and none is "true Doom" whatever that means today in butthurt modding communities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom