Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom vs Brutal Doom - DISCUSS!

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
...so while I don't blame them for having the mentality of anything new = bad, I still think they are faggots for not recognizing the intense skill-based gameplay to be experienced in Brutal Doom.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't understand this fetishization of Doom. I liked it because it was gory and pretty but I always wished for better graphics, better controls and better everything. These old shooters don't do it for me. Sure it was important at the time but I don't like how it aged and I think it's become the equivalent of the fucking Zelda or Mario in the way how hipsters "love it it'z oldskool man remember that one time your dude got low health and his face gets all frowny and bloodied?"

You're applying your RPG-drought-inflated anger on every other genre and use the same criteria and it's stupid. The best thing about Doom that I remember liking was the level design of the first few areas, then it gets retarded. I like the art direction but it gets retarded later, too. It looks like shit now, I don't like shitty sprites in my 3D FPS, I don't even really like the super fast movement, I hate the BFG and all that shit.

Doom is well loved precisely because it has actual level design. As opposed to pretty much 100% of the FPS post sprite era.
FPS died with doom. If people think doom is a mindless game, then the modern FPS are even worse than mindless, they make you lose IQ.

Doom brings some of the feel of the RPG blobber genre in a shooter, face paced format. It clicks with a certain crowd that has absolutely nothing to do with hipsters who probably never went past the first few levels of the shareware demo. It has large sized levels with a lot of backtracking, secret rooms, the need to look for keys before unlocking doors, teleporters etc.

Of course you didn't like the level design past the "first few areas", that's because you're too stupid to navigate through a maze. Just like the hipsters you pretend to hate, you never actually played past the first levels.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Levels used to be designed as giant puzzles, and rewarded exploration. Now they are either linear invisible wall scripted shitfests or open world with objective markers and other such autist-friendly design, the latter being the better of the two evils.

Forgot about mindless arena level design also: painkiller, serious sam etc.

"FPS died with doom."

Faggot.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Name one good thing about Starcraft, either 1 or 2, and you will have proven how retarded you are.

I finished the Terran campaign and I realised that all I had been doing was putting a madman in control of the Terrans. Blizzard broke the traditional progressions RTSs had before then, and I thought it was really cool.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I finished the Terran campaign and I realised that all I had been doing was putting a madman in control of the Terrans. Blizzard broke the traditional progressions RTSs had before then, and I thought it was really cool.

This sort of plot twist sounds rather old hat to me, much like Stalin being a mere puppet for NOD, but you're right about the story progression being continuous for all three races; t'was quite original. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it was a good thing, however, as three independent campaigns where each side fights to protect their interests always has a lot of potential and there's the prospect of several alternate endings. Instead of furthering the cause of either side, you end up being the puppet in all three cases; it's the classic "perform well, succeed and still get shit on" that's so popular in story driven games. Also no bonus points for endgame C&C like in C&C with the ION cannon.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Alas, the modder who made Brutal Doom is pretty mad that Id are "ripping" his original donut steal idea of 80's hyper violence.

Where did you see this? I would love to see what that Brazillian animal had to say, but virtually every Doom forum has banned him for slipping negro jokes in his readme's.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3484

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3521

http://jameshabermann.tumblr.com/post/81116973451/i-remember-you-saying-you-find-brutal-doom

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37728&start=15

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35440

The joke in the readme:

"
// Watch how the plasma magic can instantly turn an average white guy into a nigger faster than Rap.
// Plasma Deaths."

As you can see, most Doom fans are stereotypical SJW types. Mark should get a free pass to say nigger, since all Brazillians are nigger apes, anyway.

Last edited:

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
:lol: Racist codexers thinking they are better than SJW on the ignorance department...
mother fucker you dont know who the fuck i am, you are a fag who likes sticking it in guys asses and you best believe that you'd be the one getting crammed in your fuckin rear by my Ukranian Fort-500 shotgun before i blow your fucking guts out your chest you faggit little bitch your fucking pathetic you best hope i never head to your town, i'll find yeah and shank you in your sleep, you wanna die motherfucker? faggit little cracker, hahaha I betyou aint ever even gotten and coochie, huh? ever got any pussy? i dont even keep count anymore, but it is definately past 35 cuz thats where i lost count bout a year or two ago, added a few since then, so ask yourseld, should your faggit no coochie gettin bitch ass maybe try to shut the fuck up, or do you want to hear more about how fuckin gay and lame you are? you cocksucking homo bastard go kill yourself you worthless chunk of shit, your useless and lame as fuck, and i cant wait to show your gay ass faggit no roastin abilities, you couldn't talk shit even if you ate shit, go slit your wrists you aint cool at all give up on your gay ass life

Psquit

Arcane
Wow, i didn't know that the creator of Brutal Doom was such a manchild faggot... but then again you have to be a fucking retard to make something like brutal doom.

Blood 1 is way better and not fucking edgy.

Robert Jarzebina

Brutal Doom maker profile:
2cqxush.jpg

:lol:

He might be Irenaeus alt/brother.

SgtMarkSexistComment_zps7c5b46ef.jpg

Guy really lost his way to RPG Codex

Last edited by a moderator:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I sure wouldn't want to play mods developed by people with the wrong kind of opinions. So please, before you release your mission packs and whatnot, ask whether I approve of your views. I will do it for free, all for the betterment of the Internet.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
:lol: Racist codexers thinking they are better than SJW on the ignorance department...

I would think so, you don't see me mailing human shit to people who believe shaking a negro's hand doesn't transmit Tetanus.

Besides, without my drug induced visions of white supremacy, who else would you get your news from?
http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/312743/nick-denton-wants-to-reach-more-conservatives/ ""Gawker Media honcho Nick Denton Thursday told an editor (and careful Gawker readers) that he knows the company’s audience leans left and wants its journalism to reach more conservatives:

Let’s welcome, if not out-and-out racists, then at least the wide array of people with whom a conversation is possible: national greatness conservatives, Burkean Tories and business pragmatists, for instance; Christians and other spiritual people; economic lib erals, libertarians and techno-utopians; and black and other social conservatives. :troll:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can someone extend an invite to this gentleman, or was it perhaps TBS all along? The name certainly fits the theme of the mod.

As a typical modder, he probably wouldn't stand the eat. What with people here shitting on his mod and what not lelllol

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Although Doom 3 was certainly more linear, and mostly a pretty average stinker, that maps chosen above were done so in exaggerated fashion.

The doom 3 map is the monorail one, the smallest most linear map in the game. The Doom 1 & 2 maps are some of the larger ones.
If your going to pick the smallest/most linear map of Doom 3 for comparison you have to do so for Doom 1 & 2 too, so you'd have tower of babel and icon of sin, for example.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I liked the design principle of Doom 1 better but to simply point out the fact Doom 2 had smaller maps is misleading. Those maps are a lot more concentrated gameplay wise.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I am not easily offended by racist jokes, but it just confirms my initial profiling of this guy as being an edgy adolescent with no sense of measure or taste. His work really speaks volumes.

UserNamer

Cipher
I don't understand this fetishization of Doom. I liked it because it was gory and pretty but I always wished for better graphics, better controls and better everything. These old shooters don't do it for me. Sure it was important at the time but I don't like how it aged and I think it's become the equivalent of the fucking Zelda or Mario in the way how hipsters "love it it'z oldskool man remember that one time your dude got low health and his face gets all frowny and bloodied?"

You're applying your RPG-drought-inflated anger on every other genre and use the same criteria and it's stupid. The best thing about Doom that I remember liking was the level design of the first few areas, then it gets retarded. I like the art direction but it gets retarded later, too. It looks like shit now, I don't like shitty sprites in my 3D FPS, I don't even really like the super fast movement, I hate the BFG and all that shit.

I don't think doom 1 holds very well gameplay wise (except maybe the first episode) compared to the sequel and most popular level packs.

people don't fetishize doom 1 specifically but doom in general including the various level packs by amateurs (many of the original ended up designing levels as a professional). The gameplay formula is more interesting and fun. It's the way you have to manage crowd of enemies in levels structured to make it as interesting as possible.

There is a lot more to be said but obviously fighting a large crowd of enemies while moving at super speed and using an overpowered arsenal and having to prioritize targets is more interesting that pop a mole shooting. Maybe you are being obtuse?

In many ways, Brutal Doom reminds me of Serious Sam. It is the end result of what happens when a multi-faceted game is re-interpreted through the filter of a flat, two-dimensional mind. It is the same transformation that occurred between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3, after Jay "fuck that loser" Wilson saw Diablo 2 as a mindless loot clicker, and set out to accomplish that, and no more than that.

serious sam is fucking great... get lost. Serious sam just takes the most frantic moments in doom 2 and makes a whole game based on that an in my opinion it not only works, but works great. I'm not such a fan of first encounter, I'm talking about second encounter and bfe.

regarding brutal doom, it's pretty cool and fun, the haters are lame and are also over reacting. It's nerdrage caused by something stupid. It's just a slight variation on the doom formula

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom