Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom vs Brutal Doom - DISCUSS!

St. Toxic

Arcane
The only one who appears to be retarded here is you. If you can't even understand why SC1 was superior to SC2 in every way (story included), than its obvious why you can't understand why Doom is better than Brutal Doom either.

Name one good thing about Starcraft, either 1 or 2, and you will have proven how retarded you are.

I suspect this is the work of the Codex, the "Brutal Doom MLG Pro addon":

TITLEPIC.png

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/brutal-doom-mlg-pro

Whoever made this deserves a medal. Brutal Doom is only good for being the butt of a joke and this actually makes it funny.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
SC fanbois gonna fanboi. Case rested.

What's the matter, not deeyp enough for u? Muh complexitah, muh deeyp storyfaggotry. Trying too hard makes you blind to actual, simple quality brah. Hence, why you think Brutal Doom is actually better than Doom.

St. Toxic

Arcane
What's the matter, not deeyp enough for u? Muh complexitah, muh deeyp storyfaggotry.

Hey, I'm not the one comparing the storylines of two sub-par sci-fi-fanfic rts games; what, did they break your precious SC canon for SC2? Time for some introspection, storyfag.

Trying too hard makes you blind to actual, simple quality brah.

This meaningless statement serves only to convey your appreciation for SC and your inability to specify what exactly you like about it. Perhaps you don't know, and have simply been caught up in the hype of glorifying it for its undeserved slice of the Golden Years PC game pie.

Hence, why you think Brutal Doom is actually better than Doom.

I never said BD is better than Doom. In fact, I argued that such statements are meaningless as BD is no more than a content pack and beyond comparison to the game itself.

Game atmosphere and music, since apparently you don't appreciate the gameplay.

This is no different than the line of defense used by FF7/8 fanbois. Whatever CG and musical masterpieces were employed in selling the game concept, they would be better employed in fleshing out an actual good game rather than standing out in the torrent of mediocrity. If we were talking about a great game with shitty music, crucifying it for the music would be ridiculous; so why should a bad game with good music be absolved?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's just inconsistent game design. Why would you want 3 different types of rts merged into a single game? The C&C games blow Blizzard's lackluster attempts at rts games out of the water.

Guys, come on, he couldn't be more obvious

St. Toxic

Arcane
Guys, come on, he couldn't be more obvious

C&C nailed it in terms of how an rts is supposed to work. SC merely streamlined resource collection into a more gamist format, added some fluff rpgs mechanics in the form of upgrades and cranked up the gore. The different races are 3 haphazard takes on the genre which is why the only halfway balanced games are mirror match-ups. SC to C&C is what BD is to Doom, which is why it's so funny to see LS defend it.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
This is no different than the line of defense used by FF7/8 fanbois. Whatever CG and musical masterpieces were employed in selling the game concept, they would be better employed in fleshing out an actual good game rather than standing out in the torrent of mediocrity. If we were talking about a great game with shitty music, crucifying it for the music would be ridiculous; so why should a bad game with good music be absolved?

The hell are you talking about? You asked people to name one thing that is good about the game. The atmosphere and music are good. Many other things are good about the game also, but you only asked for one thing, so don't act like it's the only criteria I have for calling it a good game.

St. Toxic

Arcane
The hell are you talking about? You asked people to name one thing that is good about the game. The atmosphere and music are good. Many other things are good about the game also, but you only asked for one thing, so don't act like it's the only criteria I have for calling it a good game.

I thought I made it pretty clear that I don't consider music and other fluff to be a necessary aspect of the game in question. You might as well praise the box-art or the install time.

St. Toxic

Arcane
So I guess one can disregard Brutal Doom's gore and fancy fatality animations and other fluff.

It's a content pack that doesn't bring much else to the table -- additions or alterations of in-game graphics, especially ones that link up with new gameplay features, are kind of hard to ignore. In the same vein, you might as well say Brood War didn't add anything to SC. If, however, you want to talk about Doom Metal Soundtrack Mod having no impact on the game, then I can agree with you. Most appropriate soundtrack for Doom isn't metal anyways, it's Portishead.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't understand this fetishization of Doom. I liked it because it was gory and pretty but I always wished for better graphics, better controls and better everything. These old shooters don't do it for me. Sure it was important at the time but I don't like how it aged and I think it's become the equivalent of the fucking Zelda or Mario in the way how hipsters "love it it'z oldskool man remember that one time your dude got low health and his face gets all frowny and bloodied?"

You're applying your RPG-drought-inflated anger on every other genre and use the same criteria and it's stupid. The best thing about Doom that I remember liking was the level design of the first few areas, then it gets retarded. I like the art direction but it gets retarded later, too. It looks like shit now, I don't like shitty sprites in my 3D FPS, I don't even really like the super fast movement, I hate the BFG and all that shit.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
You're applying your RPG-drought-inflated anger on every other genre and use the same criteria and it's stupid.

No, it is not stupid. I don't know what igloo you live in, but many, many genres have been butchered, and that includes FPS. Most notable I think is level design. Levels used to be designed as giant puzzles, and rewarded exploration. Now they are either linear invisible wall scripted shitfests or open world with objective markers and other such autist-friendly design, the latter being the better of the two evils.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom