Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Garbage, limp-dicked sound design as per the last game. Same popamole arena-style gameplay with executions. Hard pass.

soulburner

Cipher
It... looked quite alright. The sound is still shit, but it looks like "kill all demons before a door opens" ain't there. Not hyped, but interested.

lightbane

Arcane
Well, the colour palette and the monster designs look weirdly.... Doom-ified. Like, more Doom than Doom3.

Because the monster designs of Nu-DOOM looked like shit and they tried to rectify that (although the Pinky Demon has remained untouched, funnily enough). They also stole the "Invasion" feature from Dark Souls, which I wonder how it will work.

There also seems to be extra lives, which was a thing from Wolfenstein, not Doom.

Music continues to be horrible and too loud, not letting you hear much, probably done to hide the puny sounds like the heavy rifle's lame noise.

Narrative wise may be a simultaneous prequel and sequel to the new game, due how Hell could fuck up with petty stuff like physics and timelines. The Slayer has the sword thingy from the new game at least.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
DkQrRQNX0AEVkf-.jpg

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Being able to dash and grapple to enemies is some cool shit
The plasma gun isn't completely wimpy now
You have a shoulder-mounted flamethrower/grenade launcher, I'm not sure why
The sound design still sucks ass, can't hear shit around me
You have a wrist-mounted blade now
Overkilling enemies drops armor shards
Chainsawing enemies still refills half your ammo, ammo management is still probably a meme
There's new demons, though most of them are just from Doom 2, so now we have arachnotrons, Pain Elementals, and the archvile which we didn't even see ingame
The regular shotgun now has automatic fire, solving the problem of it being completely useless after you got the shotty in nuDoom
Glory Killing enemies overcharges your next melee hit, so you have more of a Reason to do it
You'll get to use the laser sword from the previous game apparently
There's poles for you to swing around on and walls to climb
Upgrade systems appears to be gone? Going for finding upgrades normally instead of finding upgrade points and then assigning it
A lot of visuals seem to be more closer to the original Doom than they were in nuDoom, not just design-wise (mancubus looks more like original than the one in nuDoom) but also more in terms of colors used
Less restrictive arena design?
I noticed a weapon with a flare shot of sorts similar to Blood
There's still fucking unskippable first-person cutscenes apparently
Enemy counts still seem to be largely the same
Muh Doom universe lol
Dark souls invasions? wut

It seems like nuDoom but with some additional shit on top and hopefully some refined existing elements. From what I saw it's definitely a straightforward improvement, grappling hooks and less fucking upgrades being a definite incline, but the problem I still have is with the core gameplay from the first game, and Eternal doesn't appear to do much to really quell my complaints there, aside from getting rid of the stupid upgrade system and giving you more movement techs. You've still got excessive freedom of movement but no enemies which can effectively constrict you, especially not with the new grappling hook. Arena design still comes down to random skatepark design instead of actually influencing moment-to-moment combat (there was this part with pillars everywhere obscuring your field of vision which would fit the bill as something good, though). Level design might be an improvement by minimizing downtime between arenas some more here.

Jezal_k23

What I like about the new Doom is that finally someone figured out that dynamic, fast paced gameplay is fun. Funny that it was id. I'm actually surprised it took this long and that it was even forgotten, but after years of FPS gameplay consisting of hiding behind cover and experiencing EPIC setpieces where all you have to do is press W while everything blows up around you, finally we have something that actually has the potential to be fun. I'd rather be fighting in those arenas than playing any of the ridiculously fucking boring modern FPSes that we've had for the last 15 or so years.

If these new Doom games keep selling and making a splash, potentially more FPSes inspired by them could come out and the damage the COD franchise has done to shooters might eventually be undone.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I recall the director behind Overload saying he was inspired by Doom 2016 that fun fast-paced shooters could still exist. But aside from that and id's RAGE 2 I haven't really seen this view reflected in the market.

Most notable upcoming FPSes seem to be retro throwbacks or whatever instead of taking a fast-paced newschool approach, as both AAA and indies heavily fail to deliver on this front. Only Desync, Devil Daggers and Titanfall 2 come to mind, but they were in development way before nuDoom's release.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Looks amazing. Looks like they ditched the arena progression or at least significantly toned it down, which is absolute incline in my book.

Martius

Liturgist
Watching that footage am I wrong that the armor and/or health count never went below 100?! Really? It's that easy? :retarded:
Probably its just lowest difficulty setting or enemies damage got lowered for presentation. In Doom reboot demons deal lot of damage on highest difficulty settings, I doubt it will be much different in Eternal.

Jezal_k23

Also yeah the levels they showed seem to be pretty open at first glance, didn't seem arena oriented to me.

Zer0wing

Cipher
But yeah, music sucks and Mick Gordon sucks for djentifying a fucking DOOM OST. If anyone says that downtuned to knees two note riffing this:

is heavier than THIS (recorded in standard E tuning mind you) and so better suited to the game

just because Mick "added some lows" or because "muh djont" - is both contributing to the decline and doesn't know shit about metal.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I will never, ever, ever get used to that quick time shit in the middle of combat and that is why this game will always be garbage.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The sad thing is that the game almost manages to look like it might be fun (grapple and dash might make up for slow movement speed), but then every 15 seconds there's one of those execution animations (some of them even repeat in the promo material) which immediately makes me disinterested.

Doom hasn't been good since the original, and even then, the final chapter was pretty bad. This will not change with doom eternal.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The sad thing is that the game almost manages to look like it might be fun (grapple and dash might make up for slow movement speed), but then every 15 seconds there's one of those execution animations (some of them even repeat in the promo material) which immediately makes me disinterested.
Let me blow your mind: Don't perform the executions, if you don't like them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom