Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom 3: BFG Edition

Shervin

Educated
The pack will contain remastered versions of the vanilla edition of the shooter, as well as add-on Resurrection of Evil and seven new levels called “The Lost Mission”.
All elements of the remastered DOOM 3, including Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Mission, will be optimised in 5.1 surrond sound and features 3D support. It’ll also have improved rendering and lighting and a new checkpoint system for better progression through the game.
PS3 trophies and 360 achievements will also be included.
All versions of the BFG Edition will also come with the original DOOM 1 and 2, meaning it’ll be the first time all three titles in the series have appeared on PS3.
“DOOM 3 was enthusiastically embraced by gamers worldwide at its release,” said id tech boss John Carmack. “Today, the full experience has been enhanced and extended to be better than ever, and is delivered across all the platforms with a silky smooth frame rate and highly responsive controls.”
Carmack added: “New support for 3D TVs, monitors and head mounted displays also allows players to experience the game with more depth than ever before. We think shooter fans everywhere will love it.”

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/30/doom-3-bfg-edition-coming-to-ps3-360-and-pc-this-autumn/

This means Doom 4 is going to get announced soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody needs to convince them to include Brutal Doom mod with Doom 1 and 2.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, I was thinking of playing doom 3 for a while for some reason, and couldn't decide whether to play the original doom 3 or the BFG edition. So, I am necroing this thread.

I've read that bfg edition is brighter and with mounted flashlight but with a little worse textures. Does the game being brighter improve the experience or worsen it? Is BFG edition worth it or should I stick to the original?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not to mention that Bethesda got flak for messing with the original Doom 1 and 2 games by altering the graphics, seemingly to comply with complaints from the Red Cross. People didn't like that at all.

Also, the BFG Edition seems to require Steam by default. If you have access to vanilla Doom 3 then I don't see a reason to get the game again for some extra, mostly unwanted, content.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Stick with D3 vanilla and use mods. BFG was clearly meant for console players only.
I have no experience with doom 3 mods at all. Which ones are best?[/quote]

The Dark Mod, obviously....
Oh wait, it become standalone.

Then maybe Arx - End of the Sun?
Oh, no progress...

There is some megamod that tweak graphic and visuals but have confusing installation and files throwed around internet so good riddance installing it.

Whilst I also find darkness annoying in shooters (I find it's far better suited to stealth, horror and slower-paced game styles), Doom 3 is balanced around the mechanic of having to choose between visibility and weaponry. Being able to have both your flashlight and gun out at the same time breaks it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I got the BFG version for $5 in some sale and compared them. The BFG edition looks MUCH worse to my eye. Also the game was not meant to have the flashlight and gun at the same time and it basically breaks the level design, if you care about such things.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Also the game was not meant to have the flashlight and gun at the same time and it basically breaks the level design, if you care about such things.

It breaks the design of ONE level; in most situations it doesn't matter and/or is balanced by the new limited battery life. The bigger sin of the BFG edition is that the last level of Resurrection of Evil is missing the "Blue Columns Room", which was by far the best part of all Doom 3 as it actually felt like something you would have seen in Doom I/II.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Really? Content was removed from that edition of the game?

It was just one part of one level, but yes. I'm kinda baffled at WHY it was removed. The area had a very high monster count -- it totally felt like a Doom II level -- so I could see console memory limitations being the reason, but on the other hand the 360 came out AFTER Resurrection of Evil, so I would think even that POS of a console would be able to deal with the load.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If that's the reason that's silly, especially considering that Doom 3 was developped for PC first and then ported to consoles.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Really? Content was removed from that edition of the game?

It was just one part of one level, but yes. I'm kinda baffled at WHY it was removed. The area had a very high monster count -- it totally felt like a Doom II level -- so I could see console memory limitations being the reason, but on the other hand the 360 came out AFTER Resurrection of Evil, so I would think even that POS of a console would be able to deal with the load.

I dunno, Doom 3 already had rather large RAM requirement for it's time and if I remember correctly, RoE had even further, around the 512mb ballpark which is how much Xbox360 has and that too needs to be shared with backround OS

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only reason to get it is that Arx mod/game but, as mentioned, its progress is updated maybe every six months tops. So... don't expect it anytime soon.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BFG edition source should be released too for the dark mod (it's slightly better apparently)

Astral Rag

Arcane
"Doom" 3 was a huge, almost "Fallout" 3 grade disappointment no amount of mods can save that game. Unless of course they fixed the cramped corridor-ish level design, the look and the number of enemies, the weapons, the boring sedate pace of the whole thing.

It does have nice sound design and the engine and lightning were obviously pretty impressive. Lol@buying a port of a watered down port of an already decidedly mediocre game.

Just play a proper FPS, maybe Doom and one of the many great WADS floating around on this here internetz.

For inspiration:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/good-doom-heretic-hexen-wads.78193/

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom