Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 pbem: The Chronicles of Bogarus

Do you miss the stupid combat warcries of regular soldiers, like it used to be in Helheim LP?

• Yes, I need them back. Keep it stupid and funny!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, it's sirius-ass roleplaying game. I'm fine with the way it is.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • TSAR KOMRADE KOMMISSAR

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lizzurd

Cipher

To my opinion this music fits this LP perfect.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
CHAPTER 12
PART 2

vFCh9Ab.jpg

The province of Trollhome. Dozens of settlements scattered across spiky mountains. Some say that deep beneath these mountains lives an ancient Troll King, and once the whole province was populated by his loyal trolls. But then came the barbarians and slayed his army and his people. The Troll King has been hiding in the underground since then, waiting for an opportunity to take revenge on barbarians. Or so the legend says.

But Caul Shivers, a skilled spy on Katrina’s service, could care less about trolls and legends right now.

io8ESF2.jpg

PiWK8NB.jpg

He was looking for a Khlysty group, led by a certain Fivefold Angel. They should have been there a month ago, but apparently the leader decided to stay in Rimtooth Pass for some time. People say that after aiding Sviatoslav the Prophet in battle against T'ien Ch'i, Khlysty left Rimtooth Pass and should be here by now. Somewhere.

Judging by the rumors of “a horrible-looking angel possessing divine voice and endless wisdom”, Khlysty had visited several villages already. But it seems to be impossible to track them down. Unrest is increasing throughout the province as people are becoming discontent with T’ien Ch’i aggression. Barely anyone in the whole province worships Bu-Ti.

But still no sign of Jagreen Lern and his group. Another day wasted. Caul Shivers made a small campfire, roasted a crow he shot earlier for dinner, and fell asleep. He had nightmares that night, but what he saw after awakening was even more horrifying.

aIgKuz0.jpg
Oh, SHIT!!

EzX5z2u.jpg
Now, now, child. No need to be so jumpy. The sight of Purity is often difficult to withstand, especially for the sinful souls. Do you want to make a confession, Caul Shivers? Do you want me to Cleanse your blood and soul?

How could the Fivefold Angel spot Caul’s camp? This place was so secluded and camouflaged. But now Caul’s bedroll was surrounded by a dozen of Khlysts, several girls with disturbing smiles, and Jagreen Lern himself.

aIgKuz0.jpg
How did you find me?

EzX5z2u.jpg
I don’t mean to offend, but you have a lot to learn if you plan to travel unseen in the future. You wanted to talk to me. I am listening.

aIgKuz0.jpg
I would prefer to talk in private.

Jagreen Lern smiled.

EzX5z2u.jpg
These men and women are loyal to me.

aIgKuz0.jpg
I understand, but…

EzX5z2u.jpg
They are loyal. Not to the teaching. Not to Mondblut. Not to the Goddess. They are loyal to *me*.

Caul looked in their faces. There was a certain fire in each man’s eyes. Occasionally, they whipped their own bodies, keeping the blood constantly flowing. Somehow, when the blood touched the snow, it turned white and was barely noticeable. Otherwise, it would be easy to track them down. The women of the group seemed unnaturally tranquil. Jagreen Lern noticed how Shivers looked at the blood on the snow.

EzX5z2u.jpg
One of the benefits of keeping one’s blood pure. White as snow. Do you want me to show you the way to such purity?

aIgKuz0.jpg
I have to decline your generous offer. You must come with me, Jagreen Lern. Time is running out.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Time..? Ah, I see. How far is the gathering place?

aIgKuz0.jpg
There is a hermit hut in two days to the east of where we are. But we must make haste, for everybody else should be there already.

EzX5z2u.jpg
What's the urgency?

aIgKuz0.jpg
Sviatoslav suffered a crushing defeat in Rimtooth Pass more than a week ago. The Prophet is dead.

Lern smiled.

EzX5z2u.jpg
I hope that Knyaz Iyul Chetverti made it out alive?

aIgKuz0.jpg
He did. He will be present on the meeting too. In fact, he should be there already with a handful of men to ensure our security.

EzX5z2u.jpg
I can only imagine his surprise when he finds out that I am a part of this group. Lead the way, young one. And to keep our trip enlightening, let me tell you about our teaching as we go.

b9NpB2T.jpg

Rain mixed with snow was pouring down from the sky, as Lizzurd the Alchemist walked among the graves of a long-forgotten graveyard. Ad Avis promised Lizzurd the post of Royal Investigator in case he finds something of magical nature in the Hand or any other nearby province.

Suddenly, he saw a group of men approaching the graveyard. It was hard not to notice them, for one of them screamed like mad and whipped himself with thundering *SLAPS*. The alchemist covered behind one of the larger tombstones. What are they doing here?

Lizzurd grabbed some mud from the ground, and began drawing schemes, to help his thinking process.

LSN7Os0.png

ueKED4U.jpg
Ahem.

He didn’t notice how these men came so close already.

sXpjPYm.jpg
What do you demand from me? You will regret if you do!

ueKED4U.jpg
I am sorry? Are you Master Lizzurd?

XbT4ldF.jpg
HE WAS WRITING SINISTER SPELLS ON THE GRAVE! DEFILER! *whip* DEFILER!!!

sXpjPYm.jpg
I have bomb of alchemy! I will explosion this entire graveyard! Stay behind distance!

ueKED4U.jpg
Master Lizzurd, you have to trust me! My name is Topo, I serve as a squire of Knyaz Iyul Chetverti. The locals told me they saw a man in strange mask coming this way, and I figured I could find you here, for there is nothing else in the area, except for this graveyard. I was born not far from these places, you see. In any case, I am to pass you this letter and leave. And these… men…

XbT4ldF.jpg
*whip* *whip* *whip* YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE *whip* *whip* TALK TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ueKED4U.jpg
I don’t know why they follow me. I really don’t. But since I am all by myself, I can’t do anything about them.

Topo handed the letter to cautious Lizzurd.

ueKED4U.jpg
I must beg my leave now. Farewell, Master Lizzurd.

Lizzurd and Topo left in different directions, making haste. Strangely enough, Grimgravy stayed in the graveyard, whipping himself to the bones, not even trying to follow anybody.

Grimgravy, something ain’t right today! You don’t hear Her Voice anymore! Whatever can be done?

1. Whip, whip, WHIP!!! WHIP THE WHOLE MONTH, IF NEEDED – I’M NOT GOING ANYWHERE UNTIL I HEAR HER COMMAND!

2. MUST NOT LOSE TIME! Will follow Lizzurd, sneaking. And report what I’ve seen to Mondblut. Will whip myself on the go. *whip*

3. Thoughts. THOOOOOOOOOOUGHTS!!! *whip* *whip* OH GODDESS NO!!! When I stop whipping myself, I can hear thoughts! MY OWN THOUGHTS!!! I DON’T WANT MY OWN THOUGHTS, I ONLY NEED HER VOICE!!! *whip* Or… maybe I do? The memories… the memories are coming back!

If you wish to choose option 3, be wary – it is hard to stop whipping yourself. Decades of unstoppable self-flagellation made you addictive to pain and constant adrenaline; your whipping hand strikes you reflexively, even as you sleep. If you wish to regain your own will, your memories and thoughts, roll a d6.

1 – critical failure! Your mind slips into a blackout and you end up in unfamiliar place. (it could be battlefield, or Ivory Keep dungeon, or anything else for that matter – time will tell)

2, 3 – failure. You wake up in the same graveyard, your hand whipping your body against your will. Who knows how much time you’ve spent here (spoiler: a month).

4,5 – success. You wake up in the graveyard, your will belongs to you once again. The whipping hand is shaking, but holds. You got a grip, but spent a whole month doing so.

6 – critical success! You took control over your body and your mind in just a few days. Now you can choose where to go. (more options will be availiable if you roll 6, or you can just suggest your own)

Meanwhile, Lizzurd reached his room in the Inn of nearby village. He checked and double-checked – nobody was following him. He broke the seal on the envelope, and put the letter on his desk. Lizzurd has a nasty habbit of making notes and comments on anything he ever reads.

V4Uvok3.jpg

That letter reminded him that it’s time to go. The gathering place is in about a day of walking from here. He can deal with graveyard and magic sites right after the meeting.

Ow1nGjx.jpg

Janvar and several Druzhina were patrolling around the Keep.

pJ3QHao.jpg

sUVkjII.jpg

The builders did what they could with inner walls, but the perimeter of Ivory Keep still relies on old ruins too much. These ancient walls were used as a basis for reconstructing. This method saved some time and gold, but affected the sturdiness of Keep’s defenses. Something had to be done soon.

Another horseman approached Janvar’s patrolling group.

sEXn0t1.jpg
Janvar! The Tsar wants to see us!

Gwydon was a decent man and a good friend. Janvar always appreciated loyalty and devotion to the cause.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
Coming.

Alexander Nevsky spent most of his time in The Hall of War: making notes, studying the map, moving figurines, reading and writing correspondence, analyzing Black Hood reports. When Gwydon and Janvar entered the Hall, Alexander didn’t waste time on greetings and formalities. He never does.

h9QmOJu.jpg
Time to act.

Qeb4i7p.jpg

h9QmOJu.jpg
Sviatoslav and Iyul were defeated at Rimtooth Pass. Here is the Black Hoods report, in case you haven’t seen it already.

alxXndv.jpg

8Tkh3Af.jpg
He should have brought spearmen. Swords are no good against an army of horsemen.

h9QmOJu.jpg
I was told that Sviatoslav had just a handful of men, and had to rely on local militia support to fend off T’ien Ch’i attacks. The Tserkov refused to send reinforcements in the favor of eastern effort.

sEXn0t1.jpg
Which failed miserably, it seems.

h9QmOJu.jpg
Yes, the shameful battle of the Great Wood. It shows perfectly well, why the military matters should be trusted to competent Grand Princes. Not to the Tserkov and their worthless commanders.

sEXn0t1.jpg
Do you know what happened there?

h9QmOJu.jpg
I received detailed reports from the Black Hoods. Knyaz Hoverdogoff attacked the local rebels at early morning. He had a significant force under command, charging into light infantry.

YcM3NCx.jpg

8Tkh3Af.jpg
Wait, the Great Wood? I know one sosunok from there, who pretends to be a smart-butt in warfare. He leads heavy infantry of the rebels, always trying to use them in flanking maneuvers. Fails every time.

h9QmOJu.jpg
Not this time.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
You can’t be serious, Tsar.

HIhYm4s.jpg

8Tkh3Af.jpg
Hoverdogoff ordered his men to fall back and engage heavy infantry?

h9QmOJu.jpg
He tried. But they were shouting too loud, and he was standing too far away. Just a few rearmost swordsmen were able to hear his order.

adS7UCE.jpg

8Tkh3Af.jpg
A strong leader must possess a strong voice.

h9QmOJu.jpg
And a strong arm. Hoverdogoff had neither. When he charged into the heavy infantry, he was beaten into the ground like a child.

AcPdiOd.jpg

sEXn0t1.jpg
Did he survive?

h9QmOJu.jpg
Unfortunately, yes. Lost half of the Tserkov’s swordsmen, but managed to escape.

lIdTPYP.jpg

sEXn0t1.jpg
The Patriarch won’t forgive him for that inglorious defeat. If Hoverdogoff comes anywhere near the city, he will be executed.

h9QmOJu.jpg
I suppose he knows about that.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
What is he going to do now?

Only hoverdog knows the answer!

1. The rebels have nothing left. I’ll regroup my remaining forces and attack again. Hopefully, the Patriarch will forgive me after a victory or two.

2. Fuck this shit, I am a goddamn Knyaz now. I’ll just go to Deerhome, build a nice cozy hut, and chill out for some time. Maybe some other opportunity will arrive later. I’m getting too old for this crap.

sEXn0t1.jpg
Who cares? You were saying that Sviatoslav lost because the Tserkov refused to send reinforcements. Where did he get the swordsmen then?

h9QmOJu.jpg
I suppose those were Mondblut’s men. They were led by a Skopets known as Grimgravy. Black Hoods blame that Skopets for the defeat.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
Still, they managed to take down half of Ancestor Vessels. Somewhat impressing. Judging by the report, my backstabbing brother survived this?

h9QmOJu.jpg
Yes, but his current location is unknown.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
I will find him and kill by my own hand.

h9QmOJu.jpg
Let us focus at the task at hand. Being incompetent as always, T’ien Ch’i conquered Rimtooth Pass, but forgot to bring forces to protect it against counter-attack.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
They don’t have reinforcements in Trollhome?

h9QmOJu.jpg
Several men that don’t even qualify as a warband. The closest army they have is stationed in the city, and there is no way for them to cross the mountains before we attack.

9Bj85sF.jpg

sEXn0t1.jpg
Scouts make mistakes sometimes.

h9QmOJu.jpg
True, but this time I have a report from foreign scouts as well.

a2lgHbM.png

sEXn0t1.jpg
It matches our own report perfectly. Where did you get that?

h9QmOJu.jpg
Black Hoods shot down a mail pigeon. The message was anonymous, and intended for Ambassador Boris.

sEXn0t1.jpg
Does Bogarus have allies?

h9QmOJu.jpg
I don’t think so, but almost every nation hates T’ien Ch’i barbarians. Nobody will cry for them.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
Right. I am going to lead my men to Rimtooth Pass and reclaim it this month.

sEXn0t1.jpg
I will ask Polkin to accompany you.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
Not sure I want it, but fine. Tell me, Tsar, what is that angel-ish figurine coming from Bogarus?

h9QmOJu.jpg
Mondblut.

sEXn0t1.jpg
Wh… Tsar, with all due respect, this is a mistake.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
I don’t need his help, Tsar. Whatever you promised him – call it back.

h9QmOJu.jpg
I want to be sure. T’ien Ch’i have to be completely insane to stay there and try to defend this province with just a handful of Ancestors, partially wounded. But just in case they will, with the help of local militia…

8Tkh3Af.jpg
Even if that is the case, I have enough men to crush them.

sEXn0t1.jpg
If other Grand Princes will find out that we are allied with Mondblut…

h9QmOJu.jpg
His terms are reasonable, and we can use the army he can gather for us. This isn't something to think about. I had to agree.

sEXn0t1.jpg
What does he want then?

h9QmOJu.jpg
When I reclaim what is rightfully mine – the Tron and the Royal Seal – Mondblut will become the Patriarch.

sEXn0t1.jpg
This is overkill.

8Tkh3Af.jpg
Why?

h9QmOJu.jpg
Because he can restore the position of every Eparch that was excommunicated by Alexej. *Our* Eparchs. The decent men that actually care about their congregation. The ones that are forced to hide here in Ivory Keep, along with us. Like some dirty criminals. The ones that share wisdom and look over our peasants. I want to bring back the old days, when everything was simple, quiet, and honest.

sEXn0t1.jpg
I don’t see how Mondblut's inauguratuion helps this, but I will trust your judgement. I am not a religious man in any case, and whatever helps us beat T’ien Ch’i is good in my book. Just… Be careful around this man, will you?

h9QmOJu.jpg
Of course, Gwydon.

sEXn0t1.jpg
Now, if you excuse me. My niece caught a cold the other day, and I promised to bring a healer.

When Gwydon left, Janvar and Alexander were discussing combat tactics for several more hours. When Janvar finally reached his bed to get some sleep, a strange thought flashed in his head.

“Gwydon never mentioned that he has a niece”.

maHKhpe.jpg

wTTArIT.jpg
How far is it?

M32dEmN.jpg
Less than a day from here, my dear Ambassador. The rest of the way will go off-road, so it might get bumpy.

The carriage was already bumpy enough. The roads of Bogarus are famously horrible.

M32dEmN.jpg
The carriage driver must be dealt with after this meeting is over. We cannot leave any witnesses. I am sure you understand, my dear Ambassador.

wTTArIT.jpg
I do. The driver has no family or anybody else to look for him. His disappearance won’t be a problem.

M32dEmN.jpg
This is good to hear.

wTTArIT.jpg
I hope you were able to gather everybody?

M32dEmN.jpg
Are you trying to offend me on purpose, Gospodin? Everybody else is waiting, of course. Knyaz Iyul Chetverti, Master Lizzurd, Jagreen Lern, Caul Shivers, Gwydon Black Bear.

wTTArIT.jpg
Horosho. We are running out of time.

M32dEmN.jpg
Fortunately enough, this distraction caused by T’ien Ch’i in Rimtooth Passm untied our hands. We can finally act without worrying about drawing attention of our enemies.

Katrina chuckled.

M32dEmN.jpg
The Patriarch visited Mondblut recently. *Personally*. Just to ask for help in reclaiming Rimtooth Pass. I am surprised that he is still alive.

wTTArIT.jpg
Nevsky, Alexej and Mondblut – they will focus on T’ien Ch’i, true. At the same time they will try to eat each other. I agree that it will be easy to avoid their attention. But Rasputin – he doesn’t give a damn about barbarians right now.

M32dEmN.jpg
When was the last time you spoke to him?

wTTArIT.jpg
Yesterday, believe it or not. Had to lie about having unconfirmed information about Sviatoslav’s current location to lure him out of Hall of Elders.

M32dEmN.jpg
How did it go?

wTTArIT.jpg
He didn’t want to talk or listen. He didn’t care about anything happening in Bogarus or outside. And he was looking extremely exhausted. When I told him everything I “knew” about Sviatoslav, he left immediately.

M32dEmN.jpg
What are your thoughts?

wTTArIT.jpg
Only one thing in the whole world could consume him like that. Elizabeth Bathory is about to Awaken.

M32dEmN.jpg
“Awaken”.

Katrina chuckled again.

M32dEmN.jpg
You speak almost like a religious person, svet moi.

wTTArIT.jpg
Heard several Eparchs using this term, and it stuck with me since then. This lifestyle makes you crazy.

M32dEmN.jpg
Indeed. Don’t worry about Elizabeth Bathory, dear Ambassador. The is the least of our concerns.

wTTArIT.jpg
How so?

M32dEmN.jpg
Ohhh, I don’t want to break the surprise, but during the meeting, among other things, we shall present you a solution to the Bathory problem.

wTTArIT.jpg
Some kind of weapon to kill a Goddess?

M32dEmN.jpg
No. A way to prevent her… Awakening.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
How you find the time for all this is a mystery.

I don't. This is why PART THREE is coming up tomorrow:lol: It will mostly include non-urgent, "strategic" key choices, so no worries if some participants of the meeting won't submit the choices before I submit the turn.

After posting third part and introducing the last faction of Bogarus, I can finally update op-post with a new Factions section. This should be fun. I hope.

AND NOW WE DRINK

:russia:

Got bored and left

Part three!?

Dear God...

DOMINIONS 4: CHRONICLES OF BOGARUS: ELIZABETH BATHORY ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: PART 1: PART 3

Andnjord

Arcane
Damn, only five provinces by the end of year one? This is bad, isn't it? Hopefully your masterful RP will convince the other players to leave you alive for the time being, I'm sure I would.

And :salute: to ArtB der groß (in french grosse means fat) Eparch, such a shame he might not be able to find a glorious death on the battlefield.
Hey, maybe I'll get to enjoy a quiet, natural death, instead of being exploded by some supernatural monstrosity.
It seems like you might get your wish after all.

I salute the manly choices of my fellow Codexers, truly Our Lady is well served.

EDIT: This is fantastic stuff Grimwulf, please keep going. Maybe Amrav will have mercy on your soul to thank you for this great LP. Maybe :M...

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Damn, only five provinces by the end of year one? This is bad, isn't it?

It's horribru. Considering indy 6 and rather difficult map logistics-wise, I'd say that 10-12 provinces should be more or less normal expansion. TC dragged both me and himself down.

Hopefully your masterful RP will convince the other players to leave you alive for the time being, I'm sure I would.

I'd rather bet on bribery alluring trading and diplomatic agreements. Of course, no point in talking with TC - the man has to live up to his name and reputation in the community. And I need to take over his cap to get back on the track and compensate lost momentum in the long run.

The diplo with other players have been very cool so far. Productive and roleplay-heavy. Wish I could post it here, but it won't be polite. Maybe later, when the game is over.

Maybe Amrav will have mercy on your soul to thank you for this great LP. Maybe :M...

I still have to endure the humiliation of previous LP. Thanks for reminding me.

:negative:

Got bored and left

And :salute: to ArtB der groß (in french grosse means fat) Eparch, such a shame he might not be able to find a glorious death on the battlefield.
Hey, maybe I'll get to enjoy a quiet, natural death, instead of being exploded by some supernatural monstrosity.
It seems like you might get your wish after all.

Um, well, I don't know if I'd call getting tortured a lot a "quiet, natural death", but yeah, I guess they're kinda-sorta-maybe-not really related :P
Hopefully your masterful RP will convince the other players to leave you alive for the time being, I'm sure I would.

I'd rather bet on bribery alluring trading and diplomatic agreements. Of course, no point in talking with TC - the man has to live up to his name and reputation in the community. And I need to take over his cap to get back on the track and compensate lost momentum in the long run.

The diplo with other players have been very cool so far. Productive and roleplay-heavy. Wish I could post it here, but it won't be polite. Maybe later, when the game is over.

Oh yeah, make sure you post those after the game is done. I'm especially interested in reading your correspondence with Mistress Bu-Ti/Bu'Ti, the Queen Herp-Derp, the Goddess of Retardo, if there ever was any.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Oh yeah, make sure you post those after the game is done. I'm especially interested in reading your correspondence with Mistress Bu-Ti/Bu'Ti, the Queen Herp-Derp, the Goddess of Retardo, if there ever was any.

Wait, actually I can post this right now. All our commiunications are over, and those which took place before don't matter anymore.

Sent: A messenger from Bogarus appears!, Jun 28 2015, 06:36 AM

spacer.gif

"To Pretender Bu-Ti, or any of her close ones,

The Tsardom of Bogarus hearby invites a delegation from T'ien Ch'i to our Royal Palace, for discussing the borders between our nations and possibility of future cooperation.

Your safety is guaranteed.

Ambassador Boris."

The messenger returns okay, Jun 28 2015, 07:05 AM
spacer.gif

The Royal Highness and Future Supreme Being Bu'Ti of Warm Mountain's informs you that much fun will be had in our diplomacy. There will be a clear sign of how she feels about us as neighbours, to be disclosed very soon.

Sent: Sometime later in Bogarus, Jun 28 2015, 07:24 AM
spacer.gif

Ambassador Boris greets your delegation at the entrance of the Royal Palace.

yh4v4wP.jpg

He gestures you to come in to the parlor and take your seats. He is none too friendly, but neither he is expressing hostility.

wTTArIT.jpg
I am Ambassador Boris. You may call me Ambassodor. I represent Bogarus and authorized to make all political decisions on behalf of the Tsardom. Would you now introduce yourself?

Re:Sometime later in Bogarus, Jun 28 2015, 07:49 AM

Hello, I am Mukyu in an ethereal form, effectively a hologram. Bu'Ti wanted to sleep so she told me to say hi to you.

Sent: Re:Sometime later in Bogarus, Jun 28 2015, 07:56 AM
spacer.gif

Ethereal form. That explains the strange appearance, but not the unusual manner of speech. Ambassador was silent for a few moments.

wTTArIT.jpg
You have reclaimed the province of Trollhome recently. Accept our congratulations on that. Since our borders are now very close to each other, we wish to know of your intentions. Are you willing to sign a non-aggression pact with our nation?

Re:Sometime later in Bogarus, Jun 28 2015, 10:18 PM
spacer.gif

Bu'Ti thanks you for your good work removing rebels, her appreciation will be shown next turn.

And that's it:lol:

Got bored and left

Wow, and I thought you weren't entirely serious when you described the way your communication went.

"Hello, I am Mukyu in an ethereal form, effectively a hologram. Bu'Ti wanted to sleep so she told me to say hi to you."

This is gold. That player must be... a very interesting human being. Invite him over to the Codex, he'll fit right in!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
CHAPTER 12
PART 3

xXyDTAn.jpg

This house in the middle of nowhere used to belong to local hermit hunter. Long time ago, Katrina arranged an unfortunate hunting accident, and with Ambassador’s help managed to get rid of all official documents pointing to this hut. Officially, it doesn’t exist.

Ambassador’s carriage arrived. Boris and Katrina noticed at least twenty Peshtsi swordsmen and Spearmen patrolling the perimeter, along with Jagreen Lern’s Khlysts.

wTTArIT.jpg
Isn’t it too much? They can be seen from miles away.

M32dEmN.jpg
Safety first.

Royal Spy and Ambassador entered the hut. Knyaz Iyul Chetverti, Jagreen Lern, Caul Shivers, Master Lizzurd and Gwydon Black Bear were sitting by a massive table. The new arrivals took their seats as well.

wTTArIT.jpg
Thank you all for coming.

Ambassador’s voice, devoid of any emotions as usual, was unable to express gratitude.

wTTArIT.jpg
Before we begin…

WHBzsbi.jpg
Why is this man here?

Iyul was looking tense, his hinger pointing at Jagreen Lern.

WHBzsbi.jpg
This man had set us up. We’ve lost Rimtooth Pass because of him.

EzX5z2u.jpg
I was worried about you, young Knyaz, but had to take this risk nevertheless.

WHBzsbi.jpg
It would be better if you didn’t promise any reinforcements at all. This way I could convince Sviatoslav to fall back, gather an army, regroup…

EzX5z2u.jpg
Ah, but that was the whole point. This battle had to be lost.

M32dEmN.jpg
Sviatoslav had to go, Iyul.

WHBzsbi.jpg
What?

w8aWXH3.jpg
I'll explain. Boy, Sviatoslav is a hero to his people. His assassination would solve nothing, for he would remain a symbol. Maybe even a Saint. He had to lose a battle, and preferably do it in a most shameful way possible. His reputation had to die along with him.

wTTArIT.jpg
He had to go. It was necessary for our plot.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Don’t give me this crap. He is alive. We made it out of Rimtooth Pass together, and were separated later.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Tsar’s Black Hoods captured him prisoner. He is currently held in the same dungeon as Batushka Artemy.

WHBzsbi.jpg
I want to see them.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Our of the question. You can’t go anywhere near Ivory Keep, or Janvar and his men will kill you on sight.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Then you have to promise nothing will happen to them. When we sort it all out, I want both of them to be freed. The are good, decent men. They don’t deserve to die like dungeon rats.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Look, we treat both of them as if they are royalty. Even I don’t eat as well as Batushka! They read all day, and sleep all night. Our dungeon cells are warmer than your city Inns.

wTTArIT.jpg
Just keep them locked away until we finish what we started.

w8aWXH3.jpg
So, are we done discussing this matter?

WHBzsbi.jpg
… Fine. We are done.

wTTArIT.jpg
Now, as I was saying. Everybody is focused on Rimtooth Pass at the moment. Our next step is eliminating the last of the… obstacles.

M32dEmN.jpg
Patriarch Alexej, Rasputin and Elizabeth Bathory. The others can be dealt with on the go.

aIgKuz0.jpg
Elizabeth Bathory?

M32dEmN.jpg
I can understand your skepticism, Caul, but rest assured – she is about to join the party any day now.

wTTArIT.jpg
Rasputin didn’t leave the Hall of Elders for the past several months. He is looking exhausted. Jagreen Lern has a theory about this. If you will, Jagreen?

EzX5z2u.jpg
Of course, Ambassador. Fivefold Angels look at the legend of Elizabeth Bathory from a different perspective than others. Her eternal youth, disappearance of the population in the province of Fennis – former Bathory county – and many other facts suggest that the Countess possessed a certain knowledge and skill in blood magic.

sXpjPYm.jpg
Not particularly necessary that blood magic made her look young, because alchemy can do exactly that as well.

EzX5z2u.jpg
True, true. As Ambassador said, this is just a theory. In any case, when she disappeared, the Tsar and the Tserkov appointed search groups to look for her throughout the Tsardom and even beyond.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Everybody knows that.

EzX5z2u.jpg
But did you know who was leading these groups?

Jagreen Lern smiled.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Us. The best Khlysty blood mages. There isn’t an easier task for a blood mage than to locate another blood mage in vicinity. The only reason they could possibly fail is if Elizabeth Bathory didn’t exist at all.

aIgKuz0.jpg
She could be dead by the time they started searching.

EzX5z2u.jpg
I would believe that, if I didn’t know Rasputin. This man would never waste his time on a mere myth, or some boring necromancy. I had my doubts, thought that Rasputin is faking this story to bring some new player on the stage, a marionette Goddess under his control, but then I met Sviatoslav.

w8aWXH3.jpg
What about him?

EzX5z2u.jpg
You wouldn’t understand, Gwydon. One has to dabble in blood magic and divine practices in order to feel it. Sviatoslav possesses might that could only be granted by a being of Pantrokrator’s level. By a Deity. No arcane or divine practice would ever make you that strong, and besides – his blood. It smells pure, but very, very old. I would say ancient. Sviatoslav is older than all of us combined.

wTTArIT.jpg
Your conclusion?

EzX5z2u.jpg
Elizabeth Bathory exists, but is currently outside of this realm. There are other… planes of existence, but don’t let all this new information confuse you. Rasputin is trying to bring her in our realm in rapid, accelerated methods. This why he is exhausted lately.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Is there a way to prevent this?

EzX5z2u.jpg
There is. Traversing the realms is the last thing you want to make in haste. Mondblut and I spent years on studying and discussing the topic, but one has to spend decades on theory in order to even begin practicing. When you enter a realm, you could appear anywhere – deep in the underground, or maybe underwater, or even far above the sky, falling down. It’s especially hard to orient yourself if you are in a hurry.

w8aWXH3.jpg
My head hurts. Can you get closer to the point?

EzX5z2u.jpg
The point is, if you want to successfully enter the realm right where you want, and do it fast – you need an anchor. The easiest and most reliable one is scent. Powerful astral mages like Rasputin use astral scent. Masters of blood magic like Elizabeth Bathory use the scent of familiar blood. When she is about to enter the realm, she will orient herself by Rasputin’s blood.

M32dEmN.jpg
That’s where we come in. Jagreen Lern and Master Lizzurd created a trap that will end her existence swiftly. Master Lizzurd, would you kindly show us?

sXpjPYm.jpg
Undoubtful.

Lizzurd opened his bag and took a strange-looking pendant from it.

bU6dgMv.jpg

sXpjPYm.jpg
I call it the Irrepressible Cherry. So tasty, you can’t resist.

wTTArIT.jpg
… Irresistible Cherry, then?

sXpjPYm.jpg
No matter! It works like this... Anybody owns a scrap of paper or sinner’s skin?

wTTArIT.jpg
Can you explain it in words, please?

sXpjPYm.jpg
WORDS, very meaningless, very ineffective. Fine. This pendant – inside Rasputin’s blood is contaminated.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Contained, you mean? How did you get it?

EzX5z2u.jpg
It wasn’t easy.

Every time Lern smiles, Iyul feels a bit sick.

sXpjPYm.jpg
Jagreen Lern provided. Don’t interrupt any more again! Where was me? Ah, yes, inside Rasputin’s blood mixed with Incesta Aromata and several other mixtures based on herbs and human hormones. To achieve this I…

wTTArIT.jpg
Please, Master Lizzurd. No more details, let’s keep it to the point. We have other matters to discuss.

sXpjPYm.jpg
Fine, fine. As long as this particular Pendant exists, Rasputin’s own blood scent will smell like fake, or just something similar to original. This pendant smells much stronger, more genuine. When Elizabeth penetrates this realm, she will appear right next to it.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Burry it into the ground. Or stone wall.

wTTArIT.jpg
Why not underwater? Or inside the an Iron Maiden?

sXpjPYm.jpg
Danger. Risky. No guarantee. She does not appear at the approximate point of the Pendant, but rather somewhere near.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Traversing the realms is very exhausting. Elizabeth will be extremely weak at the moment she comes here. Especially if people nearby will hate her, deny her, wish her to be dead.

wTTArIT.jpg
Unfortunately, she is well-loved in Bogarus lately, all thanks to Master Azira and his Propaganda campaign. Thus we made a certain decision to solve this problem.

Boris and Katrina looked at Caul Shivers simultaneously.

aIgKuz0.jpg
Why are you looking at me like that?

M32dEmN.jpg
Time to prove yourself to the cause, sladost. You need to wear this pendant, and infiltrate the beehive.

aIgKuz0.jpg
The what?

M32dEmN.jpg
We need you to go the capital city of T’ien Ch’i, and stay very close to the city guard. Maybe steal one of their armor sets, or enlist as a foreign mercenary – it’s up to you. Just remember that she may appear at ANY moment from now. I want you to be ready at all times. When you see Elizabeth – make sure the others spot her as well. Attack all at once, and don’t give her any quarter.

aIgKuz0.jpg
I don’t like this plan. I don’t like it at all!

M32dEmN.jpg
Caul, my darling, I vouched for you, but you still have to prove yourself before the group, so nobody would doubt your loyalty. Now is the time to do it.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Your blood smells a bit foreign to me, child. My nose catches a trace of… Ulm? Midgard, perhaps?

aIgKuz0.jpg
Barbaians are known to be extremely paranoid. I will be revealed in no time. And what if Elizabeth actually DEFEATS the city guard? What will happen to me then?

EzX5z2u.jpg
No chance. She will be weakened from traversing the realms and surrounded by hostile attitude. What we, men of the Faith, call “Dominion”. She might have had a chance in native dominion, but not in hostile one.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Let me make it simple and clear for you, boy. You have no choice.

Gwydon’s arm was resting on his scabbard.

aIgKuz0.jpg
… Damn.

Caul Shivers, u r in trouble.

1. Fuck them. I will talk my way out of this. Tell them that I failed to get close to the City Guard, so she wasn’t spotted by T’ien Ch’i when she came, and just went back to Bogarus unchallenged. I mean, it was not an easy task and blah-blah.

2. Urrrrgh, they are right, I have to prove myself. And seems like it’s our best bet to prevent the Bathory threat from ever existing. I will do what they say.

Roll a d6

1, 2 – critical failure. You’ve been spotted by city guard and killed before Elizabeth came close to the realm. The Pendant was granted to Meaglin, and immediately slipped from his hands, breaking into peaces. “Oops” was his only commentary.

3 - major failure. You were not spotted by the guards, but couldn’t get close enough to them either. Elizabeth quickly figured out what happened and tore you into pieces. Then went home.

4 – failure. You couldn’t get close to the guards, but managed to dispose of the Pendant in the nick of time to hide from Elizabeth’s sight. She made it to Bogarus safely, but at least you are still alive.

5 – Partial success. You infiltrated the city guard, stealing of the armor sets and managing to hide your true identity. You’ve spotted her in time. But in unlikely case she takes down city guard, you will die along with them.

6 – Success! You managed to hide the Pendant inside city guard captain’s garments. Even if Bathory slays them all, you will be gone and safe.

- ROLLS ARE UNFAIR, GRIMFUCK!
- The principle for this and all other rolls is simple: the more your choice fucks up muh game, the harder is the roll.

wTTArIT.jpg
We are counting on you, Caul.

aIgKuz0.jpg
I will… do my best.

wTTArIT.jpg
Good. We still have Rasputin and Alexej left.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Alexej won’t be a problem. Now when Mondblut allied with Alexander Nevsky, these two won’t leave Alexej in peace. The Patriarch’s day are numbered.

wTTArIT.jpg
Then we should let them deal with the Patriarch themselves. One problem less for us. As for Rasputin…

sXpjPYm.jpg
Poison. The weapon of ancient C’tis noblemen. My specialization.

wTTArIT.jpg
I think he trusts me enough to share a dinner someday. Poison should work just fine. We shall discuss the details later in private, Master Lizzurd.

WHBzsbi.jpg
What about Alexander Nevsky?

w8aWXH3.jpg
Leave him to me. When we reach stage two, it will be too late for him to change anything. He will accept the new circumstances, and if not… Let’s just say I have enough friends among Grand Princes. We can appoint another Tsar who will be more… understanding.

M32dEmN.jpg
And then we only have Mondblut left - the last person who could theoretically prevent our plot from happening.

EzX5z2u.jpg
We should let him take the Patriarch’s place. Unlike Alexej, he will keep the Tserkov away form Tsardom’s affairs, so all of you can finally breathe freely. This way, I am sure, he won't care about our initiative.

M32dEmN.jpg
Why don’t invite him in our company then?

EzX5z2u.jpg
He is known to be a man of somewhat unpredictable behavior. I would rather fill him in our plot after all arrangements are dealt with.

wTTArIT.jpg
Therefore, getting rid of Bathory, Rasputin and Alexej concludes stage one. Unless Sviatoslav and Artemy escape from the prison.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Not happening.

Iyul clenched his teeth. He had this tingling feeling of committing a betrayal right now.

wTTArIT.jpg
After that, we shall begin stage two. Negotiations.

M32dEmN.jpg
Maybe it will be better to start negotiations now? It might be too late if we keep wasting time.

wTTArIT.jpg
No nation would take my offer seriously as long as the current ruling elite is alive, along with the so-called Goddess. Besides, if Rasputin finds out about our initiative – we shall all be dead the next day. But I agree with you – we are out of time.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Therefore, we must put the final question to the vote. The main question. It’s time to make up our minds once and for all. Ulm or Midgard?

w8aWXH3.jpg
Don’t be so hasty, young Knyaz. We should talk it over one last time. Accepting Vassalage is no trivial matter.

wTTArIT.jpg
I would prefer the term “permanent alliance”.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Not helping, Ambassador. No matter how you call it, inviting other nation to rule Bogarus is accepting Vassalage. Anyway, who will say the word first?

wTTArIT.jpg
Allow me. Lady and gentlemen, take a look on this map:

Ytbr5Nz.jpg

wTTArIT.jpg
As you can see, we are separated from Ulm by nearly impassable mountains. We cannot cross Rimtooth Pass to the south, and they cannot cross Gold Draxos to the northeast. Allying with them grants us nothing, except for guaranteed conflict with Midgard in the long run. We don’t need that right now. You know what we really NEED?

Ambassador pointed at Mount Karghad.

wTTArIT.jpg
We need somebody who would help us fend off the Atlanteans.

Gwydon sighed heavily.

w8aWXH3.jpg
Losing our former eastern territories to these… abominable creatures. How could we fall so low?

wTTArIT.jpg
Now it's the question of SURVIVAL. Our current agreement with Midgard does not even qualify as a NAP. In fact, I won’t be surprised if Midgard will ally with Atlantis at some point and share our territory between them. If we don’t act first, that is.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Doesn’t seem like Ulm can make a difference against Atlantis.

wTTArIT.jpg
Yes, if Atlantis expands further west, Ulm won’t be able to aid us even if they wanted to – the same mountain passes will prevent them moving their forces into the fray. This is why I encourage you to vote for Midgard as our ruler. After we dispose of the so-called Goddess and other difficult politicians, Bogarus will no longer stay a participant of the ascension wars. We shall not pretend on Pantokrator’s Thrones; we shall provide magical trinkets from our merchants at their base cost; we shall participate in every war that Midgard is engaged into; and we shall pay monthly tribute. Even their warmongering Deity will see no reason to reject such an alliance.

w8aWXH3.jpg
It’s not an alliance. It’s Lord – Vassal relations.

wTTArIT.jpg
Doesn’t matter. What matters now is to reclaim our former territory, and maintain some kind of autonomy. To *survive*. If we want to survive – we need Midgard.

M32dEmN.jpg
Thank you, my dear Ambassador. Anybody else?

w8aWXH3.jpg
Actually, why don’t you say the word, Katrina?

WHBzsbi.jpg
Let the our dear lady speak her mind.

M32dEmN.jpg
You are too kind, sweet Knyaz. I think that if we want to talk about survival, we should first of all talk about T’ien Ch’i. In case you missed that, we’ve lost one province to them already. And that might just be the beginning. Midgard cannot help us against T’ien Ch’i, but Ulm can do it easily. In fact, I heard a rumor that they made such an offer already. Are we really in a position to deny it? As for Atlantis, I am sure we can talk over the borders with them, solve this problem diplomatically. At the moment, they have their hands full with Midgard, and there is no point in acquiring new enemies. Even such weakened ones as Bogarus. I suggest to vote for Ulm, thank you. Veliky Knyaz Gwydon?

w8aWXH3.jpg
Just Gwydon. Both Ambassador and Royal Spy are missing crucial parts in their judgements. Ulm and Midgard are on the brink of armed conflict right now. Taking the side of one nation means declaring war on another. Another war is too much for the Tsardom in its current state. We don’t need allies against T’ien Ch’i. United effort of Alexander Nevsky and Mondblut is more than enough to crush the barbarians utterly. As for Atlantis – I agree with Ambassador, we should not expect any honor from these creatures. They can see the opportunity to feast on the corpse of the Tsardom, and they won’t miss it. But I also know another thing – as soon as we get rid of T’ien Ch’i, establish solid borders with Pythium, Arcoscephale and Ulm, and get a chance to focus our military on the east, we shall drive these creatures back to the library they came from. With or without allies. I vote for being careful and waiting for a bit more, before deciding on which side to take. We still have to finish stage one, after all.

wTTArIT.jpg
You have a point, Gwydon. Master Lizzurd? Do you have anything to say?

Lizzurd, show them your incredible speech skillz!

1. Midgard.
2. Ulm.
3. Let’s finish stage one first, make final decision later.
4. Take a moment to “think it over”. Vote the same way as Knyaz Iyul.

Don’t forget argumentation. No schemes this time, please.

wTTArIT.jpg
Interesting. What about you, Caul Shivers? Are you ready to make your vote yet?

Caul Shivers, two key choices in one chapter, holy hell

1. Midgard.
2. Ulm.

And argumets. Arguments are imprtnt.

wTTArIT.jpg
I see. Jagreen Lern?

JagreenLern, everybody’s waiting.

1. Midgard.
2. Ulm.
4. (optional, can be taken in addition to the upper choices) Write about the meeting and the plot to Mondblut after this is over.

M32dEmN.jpg
And last but not least. My beloved Knyaz.

Joined on the 4th of July ,

1. Midgard.
2. Ulm.
4. (optional, can be taken in addition to the upper choices) This whole plot just doesn’t smell right. After this gathering is over, you will go to Ivory Keep and speak with your brother Janvar. Tell him everything, ask for an appointment with the Tsar, maybe you will manage to save Artemy or Sviatoslav from the dungeon. Or stick with Alexander Nevsky and Janvar.

If you pick option 4, you won’t be a part of this group anymore. Roll d6 (detailed results will be shown in next update)

1 – Criticul failure, you end up in dungeon.

2 – Failure, you barely escape.

3 – You manage to have a dialogue with Janvar. It might go both ways.

4 – You manage to have a talk with both Janvar and Alexander. Who knows where it might lead?

5 – Success, you are now in Royalists fraction. No luck in letting out the prisoners yet.

6 – Success! Batushka Artemy is freed, Sviatoslav’s safety is guaranteed. Much joy, many happiness.

As the meeting was over and everybody stepped outside, a nasty scenery was greeting their sights. Iyul’s men were laying in snow, their throats sliced. A group of Jagreen's Khlytsts were stanting by the corpses.

EzX5z2u.jpg
I am sorry, my friend. We shouldn’t leave any witnesses. I am sure you understand.

Iyul saddled his horse and left the gathering place without saying anything else.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
This is so interesting.

Three factions:
1) Old Tsardom
2) People eating Vampire and demonologist
3) Political alliance

I am not sure who is to be considered good guy here, or maybe least evil... and one of choices is person who killed whole province to get younger. Perhaps putting Bogarus to torch is correct solution.

Caul Shivers

Scholar
What cares a spy for honor, and proving oneself? Let foolhardy knyazs quibble over such nonsense. Treachery and subterfuge is my business and it would be highly unprofessional of me to die serving someone else's agenda.

Option 1 and a big floppy .!. to the lot of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom