Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 pbem: The Chronicles of Bogarus

Do you miss the stupid combat warcries of regular soldiers, like it used to be in Helheim LP?

• Yes, I need them back. Keep it stupid and funny!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, it's sirius-ass roleplaying game. I'm fine with the way it is.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • TSAR KOMRADE KOMMISSAR

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh, I get it. You're planning to lose before that could even happen. Very clever.

Jester

Arbiter
Grimwulf
Heh so I have one unknown choice to try find person I know nothing about and Alex.
Fiodor will do his part for motherland. Those people sound like only ones who think even a little about простóй нарóд.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
CHAPTER 10

KqAI8M2.jpg

Rimtooth Pass is a horrible place to spend the winter.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Got some sacramental wine, fatso? My bones turned into icicles.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Call me fatso again, and I’ll make sacramental wine from your blood!

WHBzsbi.jpg
I’m afraid it’s frozen solid too. How long has it been?

2AsVLUH.jpg
… Months.

WHBzsbi.jpg
And how on earth does this guy even..? Ah, forget it.

Both of them looked at Sviatoslav, who was standing on a hill nearby. One can only guess how Sviatoslav endures this severe cold without showing any signs of freezing.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Is it time for breakfast yet?

WHBzsbi.jpg
Gluttony is the only thing you care about, huh?

2AsVLUH.jpg
No, I also like to rid the world of sinners and foul-mouthed young princes. SVIATOSLAV! Come join us! A man has to eat!

The Prophet casted one final glance at the west, and then came to the campfire. Today’s ration included goat meat and boiled water.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Priyatnogo appetita!

Batushka Artemy buried his face in roasted goat leg.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Still no sign of the enemy?

YlaoKTZ.jpg
They are waiting for something. Amassing their numbers.

WHBzsbi.jpg
The history will remember this war as the most retarded event that ever happened to this world. Just look at these wildlings. People in the city say that T’ien Ch’i invaded us because “fighting Bogarus is easier than rebels”.

Artemy suddenly bursted with laughter, dropping half-chewed meat on the ground.

2AsVLUH.jpg
That’s what she said.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Exactly, those are Bu-Ti’s words. They lost two battles miserably, and now they try to form a full-scale army on our borders. Some easy conquering they have there, eh?

2AsVLUH.jpg
Population of Trollhome stopped worshipping Bu-Ti some time ago. People there support our cause instead.

Gw4SgMi.jpg

WHBzsbi.jpg
One has to be brain dead in order to worship Bu-Ti. Fun fact: they can’t even figure out how to spell her name properly. Sometimes they address her as “Bu-Ti”, and sometimes it’s “Bu’Ti”. How hard can it be to spell your God’s name? Ah, screw them. What bothers me more is what are we doing here? Sviatoslav?

YlaoKTZ.jpg
We are waiting.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Waiting for what? You do know that no more reinforcements will arrive, right? The Tserkov decided to invest everything in eastern expansion. We have what we have; now it’s either attacking or falling back.

2AsVLUH.jpg
I thought you wanted to attack, Sviatoslav? We have enough forces to win this, no point in giving barbarians more time to prepare.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
I was ordered to wait here.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Well, I don’t take orders from Rasputin. If I go away with my men, you will be forced to follow. You cannot take on T’ien Ch’i without me.

2AsVLUH.jpg
HOW DARE YOU?! BETRAYAL!

WHBzsbi.jpg
Betray my ass, fatso. I came here to fight. To support my kinsmen in battle. Not to freeze to death, waiting for barbarian cowards to come visit us. Rasputin’s orders make no sense!

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Fine. If you decide to leave us here, I cannot prevent it. Your people are loyal to you, and will refuse to take orders from anybody else. But know this: we are not following Rasputin’s orders. He wishes to attack T’ien Ch’i just as much as I do.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Then what is the POINT of all this?!

YlaoKTZ.jpg
The Countess told us to wait. Neither me, nor Rasputin will ever question her judgement.

WHBzsbi.jpg
The Countess? Elizabeth Bathory? Are you even serious, Sviatoslav?

2AsVLUH.jpg
Blasphemous, ignorant, spoiled child! After all that happened to you, TO US, how can you still doubt her? SOSUNOK!

Iyul looked at the map.

HgEhNLn.jpg

Ivory Keep is so close. They say it was built on the ruins of THE Ivory Keep – home of almost mythical demigod necromancer Chernobog. Warm beds, warm baths, warm wine. Maybe even hot women?

YlaoKTZ.jpg
If you leave us now, we will probably die in battle, for our formations and combat tactics depend heavily on your peshtsi. But even then, I cannot disobey my order.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Really? You will stay here and wait for them to come and kill you? Is that what your Goddess wants?

That question has angered Sviatoslav a bit.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
What do you know about my Faith, smerd?

WHBzsbi.jpg
Frankly? Nothing. You worship supposedly immortal woman that nobody in this generation had ever seen.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Ublyudok chernoslovni!

WHBzsbi.jpg
Give me a break, Batushka.

Sviatoslav did not respond. A trace of weariness flickered on his face for a moment.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Well? Tell me that I’m wrong! Tell me about your Goddess!

YlaoKTZ.jpg
My Countess.

Now even Batushka Artemy seemed to be somewhat confused.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Peasants refer to her as Goddess, worship her, pray to her. But the Countess came to this world like any of us did. Once she was just an ordinary woman.

Sviatoslav sighed.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
It’s not the best time for stories, Iyul. We have to be on our guard, otherwise we risk missing enemy raid. Stay with us for a while longer, and you will be rewarded beyond your wildest dreams. Abandon us now, and you will be damned for eternity.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Rewarded, you say? Rewarded with what? Gold? Lands? Castles?

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Purity. Immortality. Eternal youth.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Is that what you fight for?

YlaoKTZ.jpg
… No.

Sviatoslav stood up and returned to the hill he was standing on before.

2AsVLUH.jpg
He is too soft with you. Let me tell you this: you walk away now, and all of us will die here without your peshtsi support. But I swear that my ghost will haunt your treacherous arse.

Joined on the 4th of July choose your destiny!

1. The whole concept of Elizabeth Bathory commanding our voisko is insane. But abandoning my friends like that is a dick move, even by my standards. (stay in Rimtooth Pass)

2. I just want a tiny bit of comfort. Is it so much to ask? (move to Ivory Keep)

Knyaz Iyul spent the rest of the day keeping to himself. When the night came, he couldn’t sleep. It was too cold, and he was too anxious. Knyaz left his tent and sat by the campfire, hoping for a casual conversation with his fellow warriors. Something to take the psychological burden away for a while.

Suddenly, Iyul heard a shout from the lookout post.

Xbb3gpm.jpg
THERE! IN THE DISTANCE!

Everybody grabbed their spears, shields, bows and quickly took the battle formation. Something was approaching from the mist.

RLD9uRJ.jpg

Xbb3gpm.jpg
It’s coming from the city!

YlaoKTZ.jpg
We don’t expect reinforcements.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Are those things on his back… wings?

Xbb3gpm.jpg
An angel… A blessing!

2AsVLUH.jpg
Ehrm. I wouldn’t be so sure on that.

When it came closer, it became obvious that the unexpected guest was not an angel. At least not the one that people usually refer to.

0XEzjpO.jpg

F7dqOby.jpg

WHBzsbi.jpg
I think I’m gonna puke.

The “angel” was accompanied by several nearly naked men armed with morningstars. Their bodies were bearing fresh wounds, some of which were still bleeding. One can only guess how can they endure the numbing cold in such a state.

Two terrified women in chains were walking behind the group. Their faces have Ulmish features.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Name yourselves and state your business!

The group stopped in the distance, but didn’t respond. Batushka Artemy whispered:

2AsVLUH.jpg
Sviatoslav. I know these people.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
I’m listening.

2AsVLUH.jpg
There is a certain religious movement in Bogarus, calling themselves Khlysty. To keep it short, they preach that any man can purify his own blood without Tserkov’s aid, but their methods are rather… well, you can see for yourself.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Self-mutilation.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Technically, they still serve the Tserkov, and every Khlyst respects and obeys the Patriarch. Their movement is not an official part of Krovoslavie, but the Patriarch often uses them to solve various problems.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Yep, I’ll definitely puke. See you later!

Knyaz ran towards the bushes, while the Prophet addressed the “angel” once again.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Don’t make me repeat myself, smerd!

EzX5z2u.jpg
We were just passing by, Prophet. No need to be nervous.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
What is your name? Who sent you here?

EzX5z2u.jpg
I am Jagreen Lern. My companions and I are humble servants of the Patriarch.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
… Reinforcements?

EzX5z2u.jpg
Merciful blood, of course not. We despise war. Our true enemy lies within ourselves, not somewhere in foreign lands. Each and every man has to fight his own battle, atone for his own sins. I have slain my inner demons, and now I travel the world and help others to do it.

2AsVLUH.jpg
There are other ways to redeem yourself! These warriors are in my congregation! You are not welcome here, Fivefold Angel!

EzX5z2u.jpg
I never intended to stop here. Just happened to pass you by.

With these words, Jagreen Lern turned away, revealing his back to the voisko. Some of the more sensitive fighters followed Iyul to the bushes, unable to stand the sight of torn skin and festering flesh.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Wait! Why are these women in chains?

EzX5z2u.jpg
Oh, them? They used to be whores of Ulm, which came here with Midgard’s diplomatic delegation. The Patriarch asked me to cleanse them. That is exactly what I intend to do.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Why are you going to the west? There is nothing but… Countess help me, are you going to T’ien Ch’i?

EzX5z2u.jpg
Precisely.

2AsVLUH.jpg
You are going to be butchered there!

EzX5z2u.jpg
Do not worry about us, Batushka. We can be discreet.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
... Stay with us for a while.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Wh… Sviatoslav?

YlaoKTZ.jpg
These women in chains are not here for cleansing, Artemy.

Jagreen Lern smiled.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
I could use someone like you in upcoming battle.

JagreenLern pick your poison.

1. The Patriarch trusted me to convert the population of T’ien Ch’i into our religion. This war can be won without bloodshed. I shouldn’t waste my time here. (to Trollhome)

2. I guess I could stay for a while. Our movement was born in the shadows of Krovoslavie, but perhaps the time is right to reveal ourselves. I can use this opportunity to teach these warriors how to purify themselves, and to aid them in battle. (stay in Rimtooth Pass)

Gd2DXq1.jpg

Both Namestnik Dmitry and Kaznachei Yuri were extremely surprised when Royal Auditor Azira invited them to have a drink.

0zDsoWM.jpg
Master Azira, it's both an honor and a pleasure!

MGrVVsy.jpg
To your health, Master Azira! Cheers!

Yuri drank his cup of vodka before the others even filled their own.

9S1jTM6.jpg
Namestnik. Kaznachei. The pleasure is all mine.

0zDsoWM.jpg
Say, you look a bit different. More… I don’t know…

MGrVVsy.jpg
Manly! Shall we drink to manhood?

0zDsoWM.jpg
Slow down, alkash ebuchi.

9S1jTM6.jpg
I’ve grown a beard.

0zDsoWM.jpg
Yes, now I see! You look less like a foreigner now!

MGrVVsy.jpg
First your beard, then inviting decent men to drink. What next, Master Azira? You’ll start swearing in Bogaslavic?

0zDsoWM.jpg
Stop pestering our friend, mraz! I’m sure he invited us for some particular reason!

9S1jTM6.jpg
Nothing particular. Just small talk. Maybe some… fresh rumors?

MGrVVsy.jpg
Rumors? Bah, if rumors could be used as a currency, I would be the richest man in this city! But alas, I have to suffer through my life in this wretched poverty.

Yuri took a sip from the bottle.

MGrVVsy.jpg
Let’s see… Well, first of all, we have finished construction of Ivory Keep. An expensive and ambitious project, to say the least.

9S1jTM6.jpg
That’s good news.

MGrVVsy.jpg
Nope! We’ve lost Ivory Keep to the rebels.

0zDsoWM.jpg
GRYAZNIE SOBAKI! How? When?!

MGrVVsy.jpg
I’ve heard the news this morning from Ambassador. Both Boris and the Patriarch are enraged.

9S1jTM6.jpg
The rebels overtook the castle right after it was finished? That’s some perfectly timed effort. How comes nobody saw them coming? The builders could send a messenger to the city.

MGrVVsy.jpg
Apparently, these rebels convinced the locals to join their ranks. I’ve heard that several Grand Princes are leading this band. They go as far as calling one of them Tsar!

0zDsoWM.jpg
We must crush them, crush them all!

MGrVVsy.jpg
That’s the problem right here – the Tsardom barely has enough gold to support eastern expansion, while fending off T’ien Ch’i barbarians. It will be cheaper to build a new castle than to reclaim Ivory Keep.

Azira scratched his beard. He is about to collect enough sinner's skin for publishing a new Tissue of “Pureblooded Herald”, but he has his doubts about the material.

Azira your move!

1. I must say something about the Ivory Keep situation. Public denouncement of the new Tsar is mandatory to maintain the Propaganda.

2. I don’t have enough material about the Ivory Keep situation yet. While I’m investigating this matter, I could write about something else. An article about Pythium should be interesting. They seem to worship some kind of monster and suffer from its mind control, and their hero Vergilius is an interesting and intelligent person. Maybe I could send my agent to interview him? Hmm.

9S1jTM6.jpg
What is Rasputin’s opinion on all this?

MGrVVsy.jpg
Rasputin? Nobody saw him since… I don’t know. Since Midgard’s delegation left?

9S1jTM6.jpg
How so? Did something happen?

0zDsoWM.jpg
What could ever happen to this man? HE is the one who makes things happen.

MGrVVsy.jpg
Da, he’s just locked up in Hall of Elders for some reason. No explanations or anything, just puff – he’s gone.

0zDsoWM.jpg
And surely you know the guards of this place, Master Azira. Even if Pantokrator himself suddenly returned and demanded access inside, they wouldn’t let him in without proper invitation.

MGrVVsy.jpg
You should have seen the Patriarch screaming there yesterday. He was standing in front of Hall of Elders all day, unable to go in, screaming and cursing Rasputin.

0zDsoWM.jpg
Don’t talk about the Patriarch like that. What would you do in his place? Our eastern effort is slow, our freshly-built castle is overtaken, and our voisko is just loitering in Rimtooth Pass. Because Rasputin tells them to stay there. Madness, blyad!

9S1jTM6.jpg
I wonder what he's doing right now...

eMdRCH0.jpg

Grigori’s mind was wandering way beyond this world, searching one realm after another. Even such a skilled master of Astral magic as Rasputin has difficulties traversing the realms. The main problem here is the time distortion. Sometimes you can live a whole life in the realm you’ve came to, while only a few moments will pass in your native realm. Other times it’s vice versa.

But Rasputin had no other choice. He had to find her.

6rNobRS.jpg
ELIZABETH!

Another realm, another scenery. His body in the real world could be dead already, but he’ll think of something if that is the case. He could try to possess somebody else, or bargain himself another life with one of the Demon Lords. He’ll figure it out later.

6rNobRS.jpg
ELIZABETH!!!

It’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. Part of him was simply hoping that the Countess would feel his presence and contact him herself, as soon as he gets close to her. Although he mostly relied on decades of Astral practice, his experience and intuition. He knows her astral scent. He just has to find the realm where she's currently in – the rest is simple.

After what seemed to be an eternity, he entered an unfamiliar realm of death, green fog and toxic water.

SN995Fb.jpg

And here he finally felt her.

6rNobRS.jpg
We have a problem, Countess!

This time he had no doubt that she heard him. He’ll just have to wait.

Almost an hour later, Grigori saw a familiar reflection in the dark waters. Her ever-youthful face.

hVzQ9af.jpg
Grigori.

6rNobRS.jpg
Countess Elizabeth.

hVzQ9af.jpg
You were supposed to stay in Bogarus. I contact you frequently enough, and give you clear orders. What could possibly be a reason for you to take such a risk?

6rNobRS.jpg
I had a vision, Countess. We are out of time.

hVzQ9af.jpg
Explain yourself.

6rNobRS.jpg
We need you in Bogarus. Everything is ready – our voisko, our research, and all other preparations you requested to complete.

hVzQ9af.jpg
I expected no less. I will come as soon as I’m finished here. T’ien Ch’i can wait.

6rNobRS.jpg
The barbarian tribe is just a minor inconvenience, my Countess. There is a greater threat approaching, and we are not ready for it. The threat is of foreign nature, but it originates from within Bogarus. I saw your demise as clear as Pantokrator’s downfall.

hVzQ9af.jpg
You have some nerve calling your previous vision “clear”, Grigori.

6rNobRS.jpg
True, I was unable to determine the reason of his vanishing, but the timing was perfect. He disappeared exactly the day I told you he would. And I was right about the ascension wars as well.

hVzQ9af.jpg
Yet you were wrong about Pantokrator’s current location. We’ve lost almost a year because you assured me I can find him in Kokytos.

6rNobRS.jpg
That wasn’t because of vision, Countess. Seems like Geryon sold me false information on purpose. But I won’t let him get away with it, I assure you.

hVzQ9af.jpg
Your deals with Demon Lords don’t bother me right now. I will come to Bogarus soon.

6rNobRS.jpg
I’m afraid that “soon” might be too late. You need to go now, my Countess. Otherwise, all our effort will be in vain.

Elizabeth’s reflection began to fade.

hVzQ9af.jpg
Return to your realm, Grigori. I will follow, but first…

The reflection dissolved completely, her voice turned into an echo.

hVzQ9af.jpg
I have to make sure that he won’t come back.

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
I like Elizabeth already :)

And the decisions are getting serious! Be smart guys, we don't want to lose this!

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
How can a humble servant such as myself refuse a request from our prophet? I will stay in Rimtooth Pass with Sviatoslav and his companions.

Also, it appears that the young nobleman with the strange hair is in need of spiritual guidance. I will do what I can to ensure his salvation.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Fiodor will do his part for motherland. Those people sound like only ones who think even a little about простóй нарóд.
Iyul has grown to like these two - Sviatoslav and Artemy - even if they are somewhat unstable. Of course he'll stay.
How can a humble servant such as myself refuse a request from our prophet? I will stay in Rimtooth Pass with Sviatoslav and his companions.

Also, it appears that the young nobleman with the strange hair is in need of spiritual guidance. I will do what I can to ensure his salvation.
Traitors within our midst. Propaganda must be turned, and swiftly!

:updatedmytxt:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Damn! I was away from home, enjoying the sun and the sea, and I lost the beginning of this pure :incline:
This is wonderful man! You're a genius with emergent storylines! You should be a DM in rl if you aren't already, I'm sure you'll make some pnp group very happy!

Anyway please, do sign me up for this epic conflict, nothing specific but Id' love to:

a) survive 'till the end or at least the near-end, even weaseling or retreating if necessary. Some non-combat role maybe?
b) allow my charming personality to shine, even at the cost of some fuck ups (I think I know why Rapsutin hates Ulm, maybe I could pull a Stachanov here too :lol: ?)

Apart from that, do whatever you wish. Use me as filler if needed!
Much bro-love to you, this is better than your old LP (an amazing task by itself) and almost enough to forgive you for the prolonged hiatus (almost).

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
So you started with a dormant pretender? :M

Any ideas as to what T'ien Ch'i is up to? Is Bogarus about to get fucked by hordes of blessed mongols?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
OKAY

Soon I'm gonna implement property points (or whatever I'll call them in the end). Dependent on how successful you are, how influental is your fraction, and generally on the mood of ruling elite, your charachters will be assigned provinces, castles, bodyguards and other sweet stuff. When you face inevitable death, all your achievements will be engraved in Memorial section 'til the end of times. Why? Idk, for the dick size contests.

Beards are manly.

DlCXIYG.jpg

You should be a DM in rl if you aren't already, I'm sure you'll make some pnp group very happy!

I'll probably git drunk before the game even starts.

Anyway please, do sign me up for this epic conflict, nothing specific but Id' love to:

a) survive 'till the end or at least the near-end, even weaseling or retreating if necessary. Some non-combat role maybe?
b) allow my charming personality to shine, even at the cost of some fuck ups (I think I know why Rapsutin hates Ulm, maybe I could pull a Stachanov here too :lol: ?)

Awright, I'll make your dreams come true. Knowing your incredible luck and Stachanov pulling skill, I wouldn't bet on your survival 'til the end, but who knows? All of the recruits are still alive, after all. Well, except for a special someone who was in suicidal mood lately.

Much bro-love to you, this is better than your old LP (an amazing task by itself) and almost enough to forgive you for the prolonged hiatus (almost).

:bro:

I await the arrival of our goddess and the destruction of these butthurt grand princes! :bounce:

Any day now
:M

So you started with a dormant pretender?

Aye!

Any ideas as to what T'ien Ch'i is up to? Is Bogarus about to get fucked by hordes of blessed mongols?

Well, it's W9S6 T'ien Ch'i raiding poor Bogarus since turn 5. By all laws of logic, we should be dead already. Thankfuly, TC player makes a ton of mistakes, so we r gud for now.

But if someone gives him a hint or two, we're most likely rektd. I'm not a wizard, after all.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I saw Boris discussing US-Cuban relations on Fox news or CNN at the gym last night. I was quite surprised. I wish I could find a picture or video.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
CHAPTER 11

F3WUY83.jpg

Batushka Artemy couldn’t stand the presence of Jagreen Lern anymore. With a truly titanic effort, Artemy climbed the lookout hill where Sviatoslav was spending most of the days.

2AsVLUH.jpg
I swear by all Saints, if that urod proklyati stays here a couple more days, there will be consequences. I won’t have him preaching to my flock!

Old Eparch was truly pissed off this day.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Did you know that FIVE local virgin girls are now following his every step? You should have seen their eyes – it seems like they don’t understand where they are or what they are doing! They don’t even wear chains like Magda and Elza, and their families disappeared soon after they joined him. Sviatoslav, are you listening?

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Leave him be.

2AsVLUH.jpg
How can you be so ignorant? Don’t you understand that this man corrupts everybody around him? Just look at him!

Jagreen Lern was standing by the campfire, preaching to several dozens of men and women. Most of his listeners were from the voisko, but one could notice quite a few locals as well. Even Knyaz Iyul Chetverti himself was present.

EzX5z2u.jpg
He who embraces the Pain, finds Salvation. The way of war isn’t the righteous one, but since you have no other choice – fight without fear. Don’t hide behind your brothers; don’t try to escape from the battlefield; accept the pain and death. You all have an exemplar right here.

Jagreen pointed his stump at Iyul.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Me? Oh, you mean... Yeah, it was kinda complicated back in Morassia.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Was it? From what I’ve heard, you charged into enemy ranks all by yourself, in a desperate attempt to save what was left of your archers. You didn’t try to escape even on a brink of death.

WHBzsbi.jpg
My mind wasn’t very clear at the moment.

EzX5z2u.jpg
That is because your blood and your instincts took over the control of your body. Your very soul demanded Cleansing. Apparently, your whole life is drenched in Sin.

WHBzsbi.jpg
I’m not that bad.

EzX5z2u.jpg
But you are, child. A good man would never embark on a quest to fight his own kinsmen. The pain you endured purified your somewhat, but it’s only the beginning. You will have to suffer much more, if you don’t wish to experience eternal torment in the Afterlife.

WHBzsbi.jpg
More suffering, you say? Isn’t there some other way? Charity, perhaps?

EzX5z2u.jpg
You are lost, but I can show you the way.

Artemy’s face was tomato-red, because of fury and severe cold.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Look at him brainwashing! “Embrace the pain” – what does it even mean? Do you want our voisko to lay down their weapons and charge at the enemy naked and smiling?

YlaoKTZ.jpg
I want them to fight until the last drop of blood. Hold their ground until the last man falls.

2AsVLUH.jpg
Slaying sinners is the only way to find Redemption for a decent man. I have been preaching this to our warriors over and over again. And now this Khlyst comes and tells them “HEY! YOU CAN JUST GO AHEAD AND DIE – THAT’S EQUALLY GOOD!”

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Then why are you whining here? Go to the campfire and say your word. Tell them that pain and death is good, but they should also slay as many enemies as they can before leaving this world. Go!

Swearing and spitting Batushka climbed down from the hill and went towards the campfire. He didn’t notice a hooded man that was watching him from afar.

1CBj8Qq.jpg

The Patriarch had a hard day today, being drowning in debates with his Eparchs. A lot of religious doctrines tend to contradict each other, and need to be revised, but it’s never an easy task.

When he saw Yuri standing at the entrance, he felt relief.

YnKe3pB.jpg
I’m afraid I have to leave you, bratiya. Duty calls.

The Patriarch gestured Yuri to follow him to his private room in Grand Cathedral.

YnKe3pB.jpg
You took your sweet time, Kaznachei.

MGrVVsy.jpg
I’m sorry, Your Holiness. Circumstances.

YnKe3pB.jpg
That smell… Are you drunk again, Yuri?

MGrVVsy.jpg
Of course not! That’s just my medication.

YnKe3pB.jpg
Vodka is bad for your blood. Anyway, did you prepare the Royal Edicts?

MGrVVsy.jpg
Yes, they are both there, you just need to sign them and put the Royal Seal. I don’t intend to question your judgement, Your Holiness, but isn’t it strange that you award these two men, while leaving the others, including our heroes, empty-handed?

Alexej took two scrolls from Yuri’s hands, and put them on his table, along with ink, feather and Royal Seal.

YnKe3pB.jpg
What do we have here… Ah, Master Azira. Personally, I wouldn’t reward this man with anything, but Ad Avis insisted that we keep him well-fed and happy. I don’t need another quarrel with Rasputin just because of one province, so…

He signed and sealed the document.

Bn5B9Z9.png

YnKe3pB.jpg
Now for the second one…

MGrVVsy.jpg
Hoverdogoff? Really?

YnKe3pB.jpg
He has been loyal to me so far; successfully reclaimed two provinces; ready to conquer another one.

MGrVVsy.jpg
Technically, we owe Morassia to Knyaz Iyul Chetverti.

YnKe3pB.jpg
Should I remind you that he escaped from that battle? I don’t care what people say about Iyul, but the Tsardom doesn’t own him anything. He never won a single battle.

MGrVVsy.jpg
As you say, Your Holiness.

YnKe3pB.jpg
Besides, I want this to be a proper message for other capable leaders: Patriarch Alexej can be grateful for loyalty.

With these words, the Patriarch signed and sealed another document.

9OeZo00.png

MGrVVsy.jpg
What about Sviatoslav?

YnKe3pB.jpg
I intended to award him with Ivory Keep, but you know what happened next. Maybe I will grant him T’ien Ch’i – we’ll see.

MGrVVsy.jpg
And Batushka Artemy?

YnKe3pB.jpg
We, servants of the Tserkov, live humble lives. We don’t need reward or luxury for our service.

Kaznachei looked over the room that was literally made of gold.

MGrVVsy.jpg
Right. I had another question. Don’t mean to show disrespect, but some people will doubt legitimacy of these Edicts. The Tsar used to sing these kinds of documents himself.

YnKe3pB.jpg
And since there is no Tsar anymore, the Tserkov makes decisions about Tsardom’s lands and other property.

MGrVVsy.jpg
I’m just saying that if there will be another Tsar, or foreign aggressor, or any other… ahem, ENTITY to rule Bogarus, your Edicts might be cancelled.

YnKe3pB.jpg
I don’t see how this is possible.

BXRKXoj.jpg

xVk6XoK.jpg

fzO0uFD.jpg

Meaglin is a poor leader, constantly being mocked even by his own people.

MeKNg27.jpg

ezOnjcy.jpg

Just like with Bu-Ti / Bu’Ti, people of T’ien Ch’i can’t decide on how to spell his name correctly. Sometimes he is referred as Maeglin, and sometimes as Meaglin. After all the lost battles against Bogarus, his name became a symbol of failure and incompetence among the population. E.g., when a Bogarusian man gets drunk too easily, people call him Meaglin. When a Bogarusian woman can’t get pregnant, people say that she married Meaglin.

First the armies exchanged arrow volleys that didn’t inflict any major damage due to distance. Bogarusian infantry charged ahead in line and box formations. Suddenly, Jagreen Lern uttered something in Magda’s ear, and blood began flowing out of her nose, mouth and eyes.

RrAWLlE.jpg

Then he did the same with Elza, who was terrified and cried in agony. Local girls watched this process with smiles. The voisko was acting very strange.

359vOIK.jpg

First wave of enemy cavalry attacked.

6NuHlJp.jpg

The voisko managed to surround and dispose of them in a quick fashion.

6Yuzv1S.jpg

Then climbed the hill with Ancestor Vessels.

ErsYiZ8.jpg

cQB8vhi.jpg

Soon the voisko was obliterated, but they did their best and bought some time for archers and Divine Might of Sviatoslav and Artemy.

M8aSlue.jpg

The cavalry charged into archers, butchering through their vast numbers. However, the archers had no fear in their eyes. But Ancestor Vessels did.

GdUtKvd.jpg

tb3nUd9.jpg

Their morale failure was inevitable.

3JDyCRE.jpg

Only the General refused to retreat. He wasn’t a bright person.

wdsA8J6.jpg

His death concluded the battle. Nobody noticed how one of the Styags, using this moment of somewhat confusing triumph, knocked out Batushka Artemy and took him away in unkown direction.

srHE9gQ.jpg

Although the price was high, Sviatoslav managed to defend Rimtooth Pass once again.

gLQ4oT7.jpg

Ambassador Boris was surprised to receive Rasputin’s invitation, but didn’t really mind. He had his own questions to discuss with old Koldun.

Boris knocked at the door of Rasputin’s private room and stepped in without waiting for an answer.

6rNobRS.jpg
Ambassador.

wTTArIT.jpg
Grigori. You wanted to see me?

6rNobRS.jpg
No, I wanted to talk to you. What was in that letter that you received from Atlantis earlier?

wTTArIT.jpg
How do you… Nevermind.

Boris took a moment to think on his answer.

wTTArIT.jpg
Although I have no obligation of reporting to you, I can share this particular letter in exchange for what is rightfully mine.

6rNobRS.jpg
Go on, I am intrigued.

wTTArIT.jpg
You are not the only one with eyes and ears, Grigori. I know that you negotiated with Ulm without even notifying anybody else. I am the Ambassador of this Tsardom. Not you.

6rNobRS.jpg
I see. So you want to exchange information?

wTTArIT.jpg
Not only this, but I want you to promise me that there will be no more secret meetings with representatives of foreign nations.

6rNobRS.jpg
I won’t make any promises to you, Boris.

wTTArIT.jpg
Listen, Koldun. You make things complicated. Rumor is, Ulm thinks of Bogarus as an ally of Midgard, all because of “negotiations” that I don’t even know about! What did you tell them?

6rNobRS.jpg
I was visited by an unwanted guest. From ULM, no less. What did you expect me to do? Be polite?

wTTArIT.jpg
What is the story between you and Ulm anyway?

6rNobRS.jpg
There are several stories, none of which is pleasant. Let’s skip them for now. Ulm made some ridiculous demands about hanging over the virgin girls that Midgard gifted us, and

wTTArIT.jpg
Wait, virgin girls? I thought they were whores.

6rNobRS.jpg
Whores cannot be used in blood magic, and Midgard knows that perfectly well. There are other methods to have your way with a woman and preserve her virginity at the same time. So maybe they were actually whores, who cares? The Patriarch wouldn’t hand them over to his Fivefold Angel if they weren’t virgins.

wTTArIT.jpg
The Patriarch dabbles in blood magic?

6rNobRS.jpg
What you know about his past is only a top of an iceberg.

wTTArIT.jpg
These women might cause a diplomatic conflict. What else did the messenger from Ulm wanted?

6rNobRS.jpg
He offered assistance with T’ien Ch’i, which I immidiately declined. Ulm just wants to grab their territories and their city.

wTTArIT.jpg
Anything else?

6rNobRS.jpg
He tried to threaten me with forces they keep in Bleesed Basin. Unless their armies learn how to fly, there is no way to cross Rimtooth Pass from the south.

wTTArIT.jpg
Right. So, there is no real need to gather an proper diplomatic meeting with Ulm. We have nothing to discuss, and any diplomatic activity with Ulm will make Midgard nervous. Our eastern effort will suffer from it.

6rNobRS.jpg
Now tell me about Atlantis!

wTTArIT.jpg
Why do you care so much? The frog creatures are not worthy of discussing. Granted, I was surprised to receive a message from them – didn’t know they can even write, but…

6rNobRS.jpg
Answer my question, Boris! My patience is on its imit.

wTTArIT.jpg
Among the crap about “we are not barbarians”, they offered an alliance against Midgard. It was all cloudy and such, but still recognizable.

6rNobRS.jpg
Who wrote that letter?

wTTArIT.jpg
“Nilak”, whoever that is.

Grigori started browsing through his notes.

wTTArIT.jpg
I am not going to answer them, of course. Even if I wanted to, I don’t know what to say. “Hello, my fellow civilized creatures. I hope that this is still readable beneath the waves or wherever you are currently located. Yes, we shall gladly join you in war with Midgard. We will be happy to leave our former provinces to rebels and send 1,5 swordsmen we currently have available to fight against our northern kinsmen, all in the name of preserving your species. Even if our 1,5 swordsmen end up dead, have no fear – we can call for our main voisko, that currently protects our western borders from T’ien Ch’i barbarians. Or at least it used to, before it was completely destroyed. No matter. We can still fight two wars if that what Atlantis wants.”

6rNobRS.jpg
Didn’t know you have a sense of humor. A horrible one, too.

Rasputin stopped examining his notes.

6rNobRS.jpg
Nilak. Nothing about him.

wTTArIT.jpg
Are you looking for something specific?

6rNobRS.jpg
Carax, their new deity. I saw him in my vision. Now do me a favor, and start taking Atlantis more seriously. If they ask for negotiations – invite them to the Royal Palace, and send me a notice.

wTTArIT.jpg
You must be joking.

6rNobRS.jpg
Don’t test me, smerd. Now, any news from Ivory Keep?

wTTArIT.jpg
We’ve announced a reward for their heads, some assassins and bounty hunters might be interested. Ivory Keep is rather passive right now, but I heard about their recent activity in the Hand and Rimtooth Pass. Katrina goes as far as saying that some of Sviatoslavs own men are agents of the so-called Tsar.

6rNobRS.jpg
Proklyatie. The Countess will be displeased. Tell Alexej that I intend to deal with those rebels myself.

kbqDpNv.jpg

Sviatoslav, Iyul and Jagreen were walking among dead bodies, looking for Batushka Artemy.

WHBzsbi.jpg
He’s gone.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Keep searching.

WHBzsbi.jpg
He’s GONE, Sviatoslav. Just deal with it.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
He is not a man who simply escapes the battlefield.

WHBzsbi.jpg
Sorry to break it for you, but he was among the first ones who escaped from Morassia.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Fear turns men into unworthy rodents, Prophet. Fear corrupts us, makes us weak. Artemy fell victim to this ancient enemy of mankind.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
I know him. Artemy is completely fearless.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Even the best of us make mistakes sometimes, Prophet. Especially when it comes to evaluating another man. It’s so easy to be mistaken in others. Am I right, Knyaz?

Jagreen Lern smiled, as if hinting about something.

EzX5z2u.jpg
In any case, me and my followers must beg our leave. We still have orders to carry out.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Are you sure about that? In our current situation every man counts.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Don’t worry, friend. I’ve sent a message to an old acquaintance of mine. People call him Grimgravy.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
Never heard of him.

EzX5z2u.jpg
I am sure he won’t disappoint you. He promised to bring you some fresh men from the city, in case of another barbarian attack.

YlaoKTZ.jpg
It was an honor, Jagreen.

Sviatoslav punched himself in the chest, and walked away, leaving Iyul and Jagreen alone.

WHBzsbi.jpg
I couldn’t help but notice your strange tone when you said about being mistaken in other people.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Don’t worry, Knyaz. Your secret will die with me.

WHBzsbi.jpg
My secret? Which one?

Lern put his stump on Iyul’s shoulder.

EzX5z2u.jpg
Every single one of them, child. Just be careful with your little plan, for I have a bad feeling about this.

As he was walking away, Jagreen Lern added:

EzX5z2u.jpg
And remember that Khlysty will accept you among our ranks anytime.

WHBzsbi.jpg
That’s… reassuring.

At the end of day Iyul finished the battle report. It wasn’t pretty.

llTILQc.jpg

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:avatard:

Morassia. That's a nice territory. Of course, I've got duties in the capital, so I can't spend as much time in Morassia as I elsewise would, but I'll make sure the province is properly developed and defended. :salute: At some point, it might behoove us to move some research away from the capital? If so, we could construct a lab and printing press in Morassia and work from there.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Now that's a good slaughter if I ever saw one. Unfortunately this war looks like more of stalemate for now, you're only bleeding each other dry for no gain. But who am I to criticize the decision done in the name of Our Glorious Lady? As long as I'll get a fancy hat and boots once I'm recruited (assuming Bogarus survives that long Blam! Heresy!) I'll be a happy camper.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom