Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Dominions 4 PBEM - Gateway and Archive Thread

Dayyālu

Arcane
*Autism awareness*

:lol:

Would you believe that you beat me by seconds in making a thread?

I'm in. Again, EA is good for me (even if it is my least favourite era).

Random pick I would not like much, but I'm open to suggestions. Thrones and Disciples (even small teams like 2-3 players) are ok for me. More Thrones than the last time would be an excellent idea, "12 and victory at 7" seem good. How many Level 2 and Level 1?

Mods? Awesome Heroes is good, and if someone wants to play Underwater Friends I suggest UW expanded, as the fabled UW patch will need some time to get out.

People! Be Divine and Join! Remember, We All Have no Fucking Idea of What We are Doing!

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Random pick I would not like much, but I'm open to suggestions.

Everyone gets offered 3 nations at random and picks one of them. One after the other and those picked are eliminated.

or, thesheep's suggestion:
My suggestion is to not make it 100% random. Instead, we create a list with X*2 nations (should be enough), then someone rolls some dices and determines who plays which nation.

Map: I say Realm of Rampaging Roaches.

Mods: Yes to Worthy Heroes.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I'm in, too.
Worthy heroes and johannes rebalance mod
Map and Age idc
No thrones
Disciples

PS: nice banner, raw.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm in, too.
Worthy heroes and johannes rebalance mod
Map and Age idc
No thrones
Disciples
This one? Is that one still relevant? Last update is rather old, I remember Illwinter doing some rebalance last patch.

So, it's quite obvious that the different pretenders are not at all equal in power level. Titans, dragons and some immobiles mostly ruling the field. And since it's been the status for quite a long time now with nothing happening I decided to do something about it.

Enter Pretenders Rebalanced, or PR for short.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I'm in.
Disciples
preferably EA
preferably only horizontal wrapping if possible
semi-random (pick one of two/three randomized) nations seem fun
don't care about thrones
don't care about mods

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm in, too.
And I also vote for random. Why not let everyone who wants to join name a number of nations and he then gets a random pick from those.
I have no opinion on thrones or mods or disciples (I'm new anyway so it doesn't matter to me, yet).
Wrap around only west-east, please.

So, hoverdog would name two or three, I would name ALL OF THEM, etc.
We would only need to decide who does the rolling.

Last edited:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Vote for:

Disciples.
Random or semi-random looks fun.
I'd rather have many low level thrones so they can't be rushed for victory.
Limit wrapping to one side, anything else gives me headaches.

And what a great banner to start a game.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sure, why not.

Settings I like: thrones victory, uw expanded mod, worthy heroes.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Gawd, I'll never finish my LP like this, but what the fuck. I'm in.

I vote for Worthy Heroes and don't mind against UW Expanded. Don't approve of other mods.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
If we end up doing a disciples game you'll most probably have a more experienced player on the team that will help you to ensure victory for your pretender, as opposed to using you and stabbing you later on a regular game, so don't be shy and join up the game even if you don't have any experience, the more, the merrier.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
East-West wrap.
EA(more sites are cool)
Disciples teams of two if doable, three otherwise(can't be more diplomacy and TALKING than last game right??!). This would also allow newbies to not get rolled(that said, one head honcho calling all the shots is boring, don't be that guy).
Randomish teams/nations or snake draft.
Thrones at an acceptable level to create tension/game end.
Mods = worthy heroes and MAYBE UW Expanded, but I've not much experience with it outside of SP, and I usually feel the more a mod changes the less balanced the game becomes. I say that, but then look at Dominions. :smug:

Mapwise, the random generator in Dom4 is not too bad, but you'd have to run it a few times to make it quasi-balanced(and it's sometimes hard to get the water provinces right), and do things like increase cave frequency if Agartha were in, etc.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I vote against disciples too. Especially if you want to assign nations randomly - that's just pure madness.

(don't mind against random nations in a non-disciples game)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Might as well explain my point of view.

Discipe games are different games. They demand serious-ass approach.
1. You can't play disciples with someone you know absolutely nothing about. It's a team game. So you end up playing in team with a newfag like me (3 month on the Codex), you try to contact me and discuss strategy (coz all normal players will do the same), and I'm like "Relax, dude. I'm a natural. Let's YOLO these motherfuckers. Also, how to I hire new commanders?" It's not fun to lose just coz of prick in your team.

2. You can't play disciples AND assign random nations at the same time - it's just plain damn stupid. That's the whole point: some nations are unbelivably great in synergy, others don't benefit from alliance at all, and some are even suffering from allience with each other. Let's take MA for some simple examples:
- You put Ermor and Pangaea together. How do they benefit, I ask you? They can't exchange gems (Pangaea has no use for death gems, Ermor has no use for any other gems up til midgame), they benefit from different global rituals, and Pangaea will struggle to survive if it starts as Ermor's neighbor. This is a BAD disciple combination.
- You put Agartha and Shinuyama together. Shinuyama searches for gems and sends all fire, earth, death and water to Agartha. Agartha amasses isane numbers of national summons and pwns poor Pangaea and Ermor. This is a gud combination.
- Ulm and Ashdod. Ulm has insane forging capabilities, but not very great thugs (black lords are nice, but not great) and next-to-none aviliable SC (not until late midgame, at least). Ashdod has insane thugs and SC (both summoned and recruitable), that would benefit greatly from artifacts, but not so much availiable forging possibilities. Also, Ashdod doesn't have much use for earth gems (Ulm can use them much better, at least). A gud combination.
- C'its can work nicely with UW nations, but not surface ones, coz of Miasma dominion.
- etc.

It's something that team-mates should sit and discuss, and develop together. Not be left for random, for fuck sake.

3. Disciples game should be played on hand-edited map. It's easy (just to take any existing map, edit custom starting points using in-game map editor; edit custom Throne placement; then send it to llamaserver - it'll be there in a second). Because:
- Disciple nations that share borderes are stronger than those, who start on opposite ends (if we speak non-wraparound);
- Some temperature Thrones can break the game for temperature-dependent nations. Throne of Winter is a game-over if it spawns next to Abysia's capital.

Map editing isn't hard, and should be done if you plan a serious monocled session, methinks.

All in all, I vote against disciples.

Wraparound maps sucks, btw. But I can deal with it if everyone insists.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I get your points but your examples are... bad.

Ermor and Pangaea work together because both use turmoil/luck/magic scales, dont mind sloth either. You make Pangaea the pretender and avoid Ermor cancer dominion, this way you get one nation with full benefits (Pangaea) and one nation recruiting indies with excellent national summons (Ermor). Ermor usually doesnt get any gold because it kills its population so its a refreshing way to play it, helps with the otherwise horrible research too - provided you can find some indies to do that for you. Luck/turmoil/magic also showers the team with gems, as you pointed out Pangaea has no need for death so it can ship those to Ermor while Ermor gives back nature/earth. Not the best team but it works as long as you dont make Ermor pretender.

Shinuyama is easily a candidate for the worst MA nation so it pairs badly with anything. Shinu is also a turmoil nation while Agartha benefits from order a lot. Shinu has no sacreds while Agartha has very good summonable statues and will like a bless that Shinu can hardly use. I'd pair Shinu with other turmoil nations instead.

Ulm and Ashdod work together, both order nations that can benefit from similar scales. Not a huge synergy but it works.

As for Ctis you can not make it the pretender and this way avoid miasma while keeping all of their good parts like very good mages. Of course you give up their income bonus too.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grimwulf seems to have some points.
Though I think the Ermor/Pangea example is not true, as in Disciples games provinces are immune to people killing dominions of other allies.
I would rather have random than disciples if we have to choose.

Then again, dealing with the cards you are dealt is the whole point of random nation selection.
So some people have a better perspective due to staring locations and synergies, some seem to be assed due to wrong throne in wrong place (is that even possible, btw)?
Again, that is the whole point of randomness. To make things more interesting than a perfect balance would.
It's what makes it fun. The thrill of the gamble ;)

If we wanted perfect balancing, we should play chess.

I also disagree that you should decide upon nations with the most synergies in a team. That would only lead to most teams playing the same/similar nation combo, I guess.
I'd say it would be best if everyone just played the nation he wants to for whatever reason and then discuss strategies after nations are selected.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
We could have hand-picked nations, but randomly assigned teams :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom